Any Trick Arrow builds or players out there?

Jolin

I had a TA/archery toon when it first came out that I had a love hate relationship with. But some reason, I keep thinking I should remake him (despite leveling two other defenders haha). Anyone have any experience with the current state of TA?

Is anyone playing it, or has it been left behind in favor of blasters' tac Arrow?

Thanks,

Jolin

I'm still playing Trick Arrow, and privately protesting Tactical Arrow because it's pretty good and I'm pretty petty.

Trick Arrow is currently unchanged from when the game closed. Honestly, besides some sped up animations, OSA being fixed in I18 and PGA getting a mechanical change in I22, it's practically unchanged since Issue 7. TA and FF were on the list for updates and improvements some time after I24, but then the game was shut down. :(

Saying all that, though, it's not as if TA isn't fun! TA combined with an AoE heavy secondary can be a good farmer, for a Defender, anyway. It just takes some heavy investment in recharge and defense to survive alphas outside of EMP Arrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

I'm still playing Trick Arrow, and privately protesting Tactical Arrow because it's pretty good and I'm pretty petty.

As an Archery/Tactical Arrow Blaster, I'm privately protesting Trick Arrow because it's pretty bad and I'm pretty petty, too.  ;)

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Which is more useful a ta/fire defender or a fire/ta blaster?  A debuffed mob or a dead mob?  The animation time on acid arrow is too long!  By the time it hits a mob they are already half dead if not more dead.  Glue arrow chased by a fireball seems to get just as much milage.  The flash arrow in tactical arrow needs to be resistible like smoke grenade.  Tactical arrow has taken trick arrows lunch money and kicked sand in it’s face.  I am still playing trick arrow solely for the fun mechanic of oil slick.

Guardian survivor

I just can't get into Trick Arrow. It needs adjustment to a few key powers before I would consider it.

- Remove endurance crash from EMP Arrow

- Change recharge of Oil Slick Arrow to 90 seconds (down from 180)

- Disruption Arrow: Increase Resistance debuff from 20% to 30% (for Defenders, with cascading effects for other sets)

- Poison Gas Arrow: Make this a non-notify power

- Flash Arrow: Increase ToHit Debuff to 12.50 (up fro 6.25, Defender values)

That would be a start. Still wouldn't be an amazing set, but it would be serviceable.

Right now Tactical Arrow runs rings around Trick Arrow.

Trick Arrow is a pretty hard sell.  It may be the worst set in game beside Battle Axe.  Needs an update, otherwise it will languish.  I really want to play Trick Arrow but the option of Tactical Arrow makes it fairly pointless, and unfortunately removes my option of playing a defender because it feels so very bad compared to every other defender.

Trick Arrow is a pretty hard sell.  It may be the worst set in game beside Battle Axe.  Needs an update, otherwise it will languish.  I really want to play Trick Arrow but the option of Tactical Arrow makes it fairly pointless, and unfortunately removes my option of playing a defender because it feels so very bad compared to every other defender.

Great, now I want to create a Trick Arrow/Battle Axe alt.  :-\  ;D

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I just can't get into Trick Arrow. It needs adjustment to a few key powers before I would consider it.

- Disruption Arrow: Increase Resistance debuff from 20% to 30% (for Defenders, with cascading effects for other sets)

That would be a start. Still wouldn't be an amazing set, but it would be serviceable.

Hey Tex,

Thought I would have to stand up for TA for just a sec. Not trying to start a fight.

-remove crash from emp? I'm all for it in the days of crash-less nukes, but you can easily keep blasting anyway with a defender.

-OSA is a bigger nuke than most defender tier 9s (not ice) so having it up about as often, slightly more is probably right... which it is. And don't forget it has an inherent k-down patch a la ice trollers as a bonus.

-Disruption arrow up to 30%? that gives a 50% total for bosses which is hard for most any set to hit individually and with OSA it makes the damage potential there go w00. Don't think the devs would have gone for it.

-PGA being non-notify... interesting idea. I kinda like it, but prefer having the tier 2 sleep because I can take out minions when solo and save em for last.

-Flash Arrow increase in the debuff to 12.5%. Would be a severely overpowered treat like that. The key to FA for me was always the -tohit was un-resisted. So with your values, plus slotting and PBU you could throw a -tohit of 30% or more (sorry at work so not completely sure of numbers) that is unresisted and makes your entire team stealthed. Now make that two chars and no damage complaints anywhere.

I ran a TA/sonic back in the day and am having fun growing a TA/dark currently.

Last point, TA is a beast in an open pvp environment.

Hey Tex,

Thought I would have to stand up for TA for just a sec. Not trying to start a fight.

-remove crash from emp? I'm all for it in the days of crash-less nukes, but you can easily keep blasting anyway with a defender.

-OSA is a bigger nuke than most defender tier 9s (not ice) so having it up about as often, slightly more is probably right... which it is. And don't forget it has an inherent k-down patch a la ice trollers as a bonus.

-Disruption arrow up to 30%? that gives a 50% total for bosses which is hard for most any set to hit individually and with OSA it makes the damage potential there go w00. Don't think the devs would have gone for it.

-PGA being non-notify... interesting idea. I kinda like it, but prefer having the tier 2 sleep because I can take out minions when solo and save em for last.

-Flash Arrow increase in the debuff to 12.5%. Would be a severely overpowered treat like that. The key to FA for me was always the -tohit was un-resisted. So with your values, plus slotting and PBU you could throw a -tohit of 30% or more (sorry at work so not completely sure of numbers) that is unresisted and makes your entire team stealthed. Now make that two chars and no damage complaints anywhere.

Wow. A voice of reason among many crybabies who know nothing about game balance. +1

• Haha 1

Tex, you had a great thought about the PGA being a non-notify power. So I was looking around and found a pacify proc. in the sleep enhancers (Fortunada one) that looks like it would pacify 90% according to Pines. If that works, it's the next to best option.

I'm definitely gonna try it out.

And just to show you what I meant earlier on Flash Arrow: If you add BU and Intuition Radial Paragon to FA you can get a -tohit number near 17% for 60 seconds. Remember that can't be taken out of the equation for the duration.

Hey Tex,

These are fair criticisms.

RE: Flash Arrow, on a Defender, the numbers as-is are actually more fair than I had imagined. The power reduces ToHit by around 9% as is, which brings it within the realm of a power like Dispersion Bubble (14% with 2 defense IOs). So it may be okay where it is or benefit from a tiny bump up to 7% base or so. Keep in mind that Buff powers don't diminish against higher level enemies; +14 Defense is always +14 Defense. That's why I'm okay with Flash Arrow having decent -ToHit even if it is unresistable.

I hear your points on Oil Slick Arrow. I'm taking a second look at its damage now and it does considerably more than I had thought (albeit over a very long period of time).

You may be right about the -Resistance at -50% being too high, but there is a Sonic Attack blast set with -30% in a cone blast. If TA had -Regen, I'd be more worried about it.

I think compared to Dark, Cold, Radiation, and Kinetics TA would still be quite far behind even with the proposed changes. Most of those sets offer a mix of buffs and debuffs and don't seem to have made any tradeoffs for them. TA is a pure debuff set and doesn't appear to the best debuffer or anywhere close to that, which is unfortunate.

I hear ya, Tex.

I suspect when TA came out there were still lingering thoughts with the devs that giving a damage power to a defender had to come with subtracting buff/debuff ability.

That being said, even though the ones you mentioned are clearly cream of the crop, I can still have fun with my "lesser" defender. :)

• 4 weeks later

I have TA Archery toon that I copied from my old post on the old boards.

Its your standard Hover Blaster Range Cap. 

Work on high recharge to get up Rain of Arrow and Oil slick up as much as possible. 

I was able to farm with it. 

I am sure it can be tweaked but will edit this post with that build

4 hours ago, plainguy said:

I have TA Archery toon that I copied from my old post on the old boards.

Its your standard Hover Blaster Range Cap. 

Work on high recharge to get up Rain of Arrow and Oil slick up as much as possible. 

I was able to farm with it. 

I am sure it can be tweaked but will edit this post with that build

Thanks Plainguy. Do you mind sharing what you are working on?

Ugh - I completely missed Tactical Arrow until I saw this thread. I'm currently running a TA/Arch def and was planning to invest heavily in Leadership, but now I'm thinking the only reason to stick with it is the defender Leadership bonuses. Wondering if it's worth it...

On 7/30/2019 at 8:03 PM, Jolin said:

Thanks Plainguy. Do you mind sharing what you are working on?

Yea I will sorry forgot I posted this..

will drop the build tonight.

BUT wayback time machine has the old forums. That is how I pulled up all my old builds. 

It is worth looking at as someone already created "That build" years ago and it just is lost and forgotten data now. 

Just wanted to add what I think is a hidden gem I recently saw on my TA. PGA is only a mag 2 sleep, but it's range is bigger than the animation (looks to be about as large as 25ft) and more importantly it appears to have a sleep patch affect. The minions will wake up and then get put back to sleep again as it pulses. Plus the pulse seems pretty fast. 

That should mean maybe some proc magic with the placate proc and it. Anyone played with that? 

I saw this creep back up, should've posted in it a couple days back and forgot to, but for all of you folks out there trying to bash Trick Arrow/Archery, or just Trick Arrow in general, here's 6:15 of Yolks-On-You:

The actual Pylon take down occurs about 40/s in, I was going a bit thematic with the monologue 😉 But that first Pylon that blows up is the one I took down first (one then the other), I just clipped out the first one's full run, I just wanted that tail-end of a "this isn't a fluke" demonstration.

The build, along with a lengthy post about testing Procs in TA specifically can be found over in the Proc Monster thread, page two (at the top).

Highlights:

• Ice Arrow is my second highest-damaging attack next to Ranged Shot. No, that's not a typo.
  • Oil Slick (lit) does 600-700 damage before any -Res debuffs for anything that gets stuck inside of it on a 56/s recharge. There's a reason it shouldn't be shorter cool-down.
  • Acid Arrow doubles as a minor AoE now instead of just a Debuff w/ tickle.
  • Rain of Arrows is on a 17/s cool-down and hits an entire spawn for nearly as much as my ST attacks.

A small side note: EMP Arrow does have a -Regen component. -1,000% for 18/s. It isn't a crazy amount, but it is there, and it does have it. Just saying.

Trick Arrow isn't the strongest of the Proc Monsters, but it is definitely not a slouch, and it can do better than your standard [solo] Defender any day of the week. /em Drops mic.

Edited by Sir Myshkin
Just saying.
  • Like 2

To chime in, I recently rolled a TA/Archery Defender specifically because of @Sir Myshkin's work on the PPM build. The character is only 29, and thus, lightly invested in compared to the full version, but I have cobbled together enough procs throughout my powers to have some idea of the overall effect. I can't say I have some endgame opinion on it yet for obvious reasons, but I can at least say that I've found it to be a lot of fun, and something that has really reinvigorated the power set for me. It also opens up one particular interaction that actually benefits the playstyle a lot overall - as Sir Myshkin pointed out, with an energy damage proc you have an extremely effective 1-2 punch for an alpha. Oil Slick > (I'll usually Fistful here to fill the slight delay of the OS pet spawning) > procced Acid Arrow gets your Oil Slick up and ignited with a huge amount of efficiency. This has substantially picked up the pace for me while doing leveling content, as so much of fights are done in the first ~15 seconds now, and has really emphasized TA's place as a powerful AoE primary in my mind.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.1
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Defender
Primary Power Set: Trick Arrow
Secondary Power Set: Archery
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Entangling Arrow

• (A) Trap of the Hunter - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50
  • (3) Trap of the Hunter - Endurance/Immobilize: Level 50
  • (3) Trap of the Hunter - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50
  • (5) Trap of the Hunter - Immobilize/Accuracy: Level 50
  • (5) Trap of the Hunter - Accuracy/Immobilize/Recharge: Level 50
  • (7) Trap of the Hunter - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

Level 1: Snap Shot

• (A) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (7) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (9) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (9) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (11) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (11) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

Level 2: Flash Arrow

• (A) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff: Level 30
  • (13) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/ToHitDebuff: Level 30
  • (33) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 30
  • (43) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff/Endurance/Recharge: Level 30
  • (45) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge: Level 30
  • (46) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage: Level 30

Level 4: Glue Arrow

• (A) Slow IO: Level 50

Level 6: Kick

• (A) Accuracy IO: Level 50

Level 8: Ice Arrow

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold: Level 30
  • (13) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 30
  • (34) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 30
  • (40) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 30

Level 10: Poison Gas Arrow

• (A) Lethargic Repose - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50
  • (15) Lethargic Repose - Endurance/Sleep: Level 50
  • (36) Lethargic Repose - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50

Level 12: Acid Arrow

• (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 20
  • (15) Touch of Lady Grey - Defense Debuff/Recharge: Level 50
  • (48) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

Level 14: Tough

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%: Level 30
  • (45) Steadfast Protection - Knockback Protection: Level 30

Level 16: Fistful of Arrows

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (17) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (17) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (19) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range: Level 50
  • (19) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50

Level 18: Disruption Arrow

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 20: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed: Level 50
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense: Level 50
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 22: Blazing Arrow

• (23) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (23) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (25) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (25) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (34) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

Level 24: Maneuvers

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed: Level 50
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense: Level 50
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 26: Oil Slick Arrow

• (A) Superior Vigilant Assault - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (27) Superior Vigilant Assault - Damage/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (27) Superior Vigilant Assault - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (31) Superior Vigilant Assault - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (34) Superior Vigilant Assault - RechargeTime/PBAoE +Absorb: Level 50

Level 28: Explosive Arrow

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (29) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (29) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (31) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range: Level 50
  • (31) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (36) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown: Level 50

Level 30: Ranged Shot

• (36) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (37) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (37) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (37) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (40) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

Level 32: Hover

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points): Level 50
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed: Level 50
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 35: Hasten

Level 38: Rain of Arrows

• (A) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (39) Superior Defender's Bastion - Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (39) Superior Defender's Bastion - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50
  • (39) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (40) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50
  • (46) Superior Defender's Bastion - Recharge/Chance for Minor PBAoE Heal: Level 50

Level 41: Tactics

• (A) Adjusted Targeting - To Hit Buff: Level 50
  • (42) Adjusted Targeting - To Hit Buff/Recharge: Level 50
  • (43) Adjusted Targeting - To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50
  • (43) Adjusted Targeting - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50
  • (48) Adjusted Targeting - To Hit Buff/Endurance: Level 50
  • (48) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up: Level 50

Level 44: Super Speed

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth: Level 50

Level 47: EMP Arrow

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold: Level 30
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 30
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold: Level 30
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 30

Level 49: Power Build Up

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Vigilance 

Level 2: Rest

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1474;677;1354;HEX;|
|78DA6594C94F136118C6BF994EC5B297022DFB52B0AC43AB7836286A34C510315E4|
|9530668242D6931E8D17F019535AC9EBC7890EDE672D38337510E5E8CEBC5E53FA8|
|6FE779A84D66D2C96FE6FDDEEDF9DE6F3A726FB8F4D9D5071794567E692696C98C0|
|F5B935672C24A178DC51356326EA9DC552477DDC9CAF8C5BB9393E6AD74227E677C|
|289D4ECDFBF32B3763C9296BC21C4AC7A7ADF47DEFB5A4C04ACE99270F65A3A9D48|
|C792531353D97484E55D86F512B26A199E9C46C09566772CBC5F6F3D8AC654D545D|
|9E4DC4CDD1D4BC14188965E6247340FA09C9BDA02B5E59B75AD4948A184A5F22974|
|163855C054FAD816B85B1EB0A6B1BE0E94D720B2CDE2677C08712AB3156FB222F4D|
|862AFD0AB67E037BBE837D3FC0FE9FE023810BB1CA35807CBA6CB09B36773D6C8F7|
|5ECBBD85C45EF59E3086CFB08868EC1458107BEBAE705F495BF0483AFC025F129A1|
|4FC96B79F189CF5BDD5E1B7807BAA460992D2CAB95F935F41F00D7C5A502F146C52|
|E7AACDC23F7C1AA03F2105C96182F75797B6133A4860F35745F0D7AABAE262BC10D|
|89ABE1FED67036B59C4D2D6713E06C029C4D1B67E395FC7EE6F7337F37F37733FF8|
|AE4AFA396BAB061DBEA23E459B079106C3B0F6E494C037B6AA0FE46EA6FA4FE66EA|
|6FA6FEE06797CDEDDC9818DB443D41EAE9A09E0EEAE9A09E10F578444F0BF5B47CC|
|29C5AA9AB957ADAC5A71D3EAA9DFBFC445C3B59B3F339FA38B34BEE91FB60E800EC|
|3F047D92AF0BF9DC5D1BA8D9BD09F66C91DB3C3B3BE4533028B1BDECA5D703DBAAC|
|0E459367996233CCB910F24CFF41B6921CC3313A6964623FFADCA4F2ED5E3B0841D|
|9688C372CE61197458A20ECB8D9C058AB2A346FECB579ABDFAAB582C5AA1E5CF7F8|
|BA6DDC684FAAE0B4386FAEDF0FE5BE8BD84FDEA5F00A33E01AA658F0B9E3D95F9FF|
|90EC3FCAD6F75F|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

• 2 weeks later
On 6/29/2019 at 10:52 PM, Jolin said:

I had a TA/archery toon when it first came out that I had a love hate relationship with. But some reason, I keep thinking I should remake him (despite leveling two other defenders haha). Anyone have any experience with the current state of TA?

Is anyone playing it, or has it been left behind in favor of blasters' tac Arrow?

Thanks,

Jolin

I had a TA/Arch back in the day I got up to 50 named Major Brass. I rerolled him as soon as I got in here and still just love playing the set. I didn't have him as a Proc Monster 50 or anything like that and i'm not really a numbers guy. I loved and do love playing the set. Such a great debuff set as it is and just tons o' fun to play. So, yes, there are a few.