The Force Fielder's Bible - Restored

_NOPE_

I was reading this on the web archive copy of the original forums, thought to check here too, and laughed happily to see you'd resurrected it (even though bubbles don't get a rez!). FWIW the original "Let Fly! - A Guide to Knockback Control by Midnight_Flux" forum post is still available at https://web.archive.org/web/20120904192500/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=123660. So it's not entirely lost to us.

Another FWIW, I am finding that Beam Rifle is a solid choice for a secondary. Some of the powers have useful debuffs, and the 4th power Disintegrate adds debuff to an enemy that adds additional effects to the other Beam Rifle powers. This lets you debuff with -Regen, 2 sources of -Def, 2 Stuns, and has a bit more KB to go with the FF powers. I won't say that it's the best option - that's not the CoH philosophy - but I think it complements FF nicely by adding some of the debuffs that you would normally look for in the Defender primaries.

Old FF/Rad/Psi Offender from "back in the day" (Rolled my first character, the aforementioned FF/Rad, in Aug of '04 and kept her as my main until the Shutdown)

Just chiming in with a huge *Thank You!* for re-posting this.

Finally decided to re-make my Offender and, just like 15 years ago, this combo is still one of my all-time faves.

Much <3 to the other FFers out there and any/all that enjoy the controlled chaos that we bring to every team

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

• 5 months later
2 hours ago, Dugunthi said:

I was never quite privy to the lingo used by advanced players since I only played it for a bit back in the day (what can I say, teenagers make mistakes!). What does "Offender" mean in the context of Defender gameplay?

It means a Defender that is heavy on attacks.  It was primarily used before there were Corruptors.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:40 AM, wyldchyld said:

Old FF/Rad/Psi Offender from "back in the day" (Rolled my first character, the aforementioned FF/Rad, in Aug of '04 and kept her as my main until the Shutdown)

Just chiming in with a huge *Thank You!* for re-posting this.

Finally decided to re-make my Offender and, just like 15 years ago, this combo is still one of my all-time faves.

Much ❤️ to the other FFers out there and any/all that enjoy the controlled chaos that we bring to every team

My FF/Sonic/Mace salutes you!

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

On 6/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, Force Redux said:

As a Force-Fielder, I remember first reading this years ago and finding it so helpful. Years later, it just cements my love of the set. PFF and Dispersion Bubble get much love from me.  :)

I still remember the day when in Bloody Bay within a PFF and was jumped by a villainous Master Mind. I stood there, attack after attack, using my self-heal  from the healing pool power (cus you know, a few damage pts do make it thru) and just laughing as the MM grew ever more frustrated at not defeating me and stealing my shivan shards. Next came the accusations of hacking on my part, even asking what power I had that allowed me to just stand there under furious attacks from his robot pets. 

My answer - "I'm a Bubbler, and you best fear us!"

Then I super-speeded away, chuckling all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later

So I see a lot of people pooping on FF about how terrible it is. It's on the bottom of the list over in the controller area and here as well.

And yet I am still intrigued. Is it any good in the current endgame? What are the positives it brings to the table in the year 2020?

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

I mean its hard to get excited about Force Field and the defense it brings when you can play Time and with 8 slots get this:

image.thumb.png.ac71478a753269abdf27086b1053c1a1.png

That's the formula to softcap a Time Defender to all positions and elements. For the record, I just posted that in a "please nerf Time Manipulation" thread. 🙂 You can find it in the Suggestions forum if you have opinions about it.

Force Field does have its uses, mainly on leagues in iTrials, where the quick recharge of the bubbles is ideal. But its original claim to be the "Tanker" Defender set is more than destroyed by Time, so its hard to come up with reasons to stick with it.

Edited by oedipus_tex

FF is excellent at what it does. But Time is way more versatile.

FF has AoE status protection from early on (freeing up an eventual Destiny pick). This is the big draw. It's why you want FF mechanically. 

FF offers End drain resistance.

FF offers non buffable but significant Toxic resist.

Everything else can be situational at best. I personally like PFF as a replacement for stealth and a panic button. Albeit not one needed much. It can also help shed Defense debuffs.

Time is busier. FF is more relaxed. I personally prefer FF on my 50+3 Robot MM, and prefer Time on my 50+3 Beasts MM. I have extensive play time on my FF/Sonic 50+3 Defender as well.

FF could use since love (some absorption in Dispersion, extra damage in its two attack powers, some DDR in the shields, the phase power acting like Gravity's would do it). But it's still as serviceable set.

Many people spend hundreds of millions of influence to get their defenses capped but have no way to prevent them from being debuffed. Extra defense is always useful, particularly on some trials.

Edited by Force Redux
  • Like 2

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• 3 weeks later
  • 3 months later

I've played a bubbler since I started the game around i7ish on Live. I've always skipped Repulsion Bomb because I didn't want to deal with the flak from sending everyone flying away from the melees.

This is the first time I've heard anything about it being KD, not KB. Excuse me, I have about a decades's worth of angry profanity I need to clear out.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later
On 1/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, oedipus_tex said:

I mean its hard to get excited about Force Field and the defense it brings when you can play Time and with 8 slots get this:

image.thumb.png.ac71478a753269abdf27086b1053c1a1.png

That's the formula to softcap a Time Defender to all positions and elements. For the record, I just posted that in a "please nerf Time Manipulation" thread. 🙂 You can find it in the Suggestions forum if you have opinions about it.

Force Field does have its uses, mainly on leagues in iTrials, where the quick recharge of the bubbles is ideal. But its original claim to be the "Tanker" Defender set is more than destroyed by Time, so its hard to come up with reasons to stick with it.

You know, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Time doesn't need to be nerfed at all.

With Traps and only FOUR slots, you can get this:

traps.jpg

That's also the formula to softcap a defender to all positions. And, of course, it's easier on a team... no 'gather for buffs' that they all ignore, and if they see a big bubble and are having trouble, they just move a few feet so they are inside. and no extra slots for +recharge either.

Unless you think traps, the most hated defender outside of bubbles, needs a nerf too?

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1

I would love it if FF got a minor buff... like a -def (enhanceable) when an enemy steps into your big bubble or maybe a small damage component on your Knockback stuff... but bubblers, right now, with careful building, can perform just as well as any other defender, and better under 'special circumstances' the same way any defender is better under certain circumstances.

I think they could use some love, but they are definitely not 'bad' by any stretch. Plus, who else gives a whole team decent status protection? Time and traps certainly don't.

also, Malta and carnies. When you have a bubbler, sappers are a joke. Toxic enemies are neutered. Repulsion bomb is one of the better proc monkeys, as is force bolt.

Yep, two powers-detention field and repulsion field, suck butt, but lots of sets have a couple of useless powers. And some folks actually LIKE repulsion field... with the right procs (kb-kd) and ageless, it becomes an incredible 'squishy alive' tool even deep into incarnate content.

I think the only real problem with bubblers post-incarnates is people who don't know how to build for post-incarnate.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Dugunthi said:

I was never quite privy to the lingo used by advanced players since I only played it for a bit back in the day (what can I say, teenagers make mistakes!). What does "Offender" mean in the context of Defender gameplay?

Offender who loves attacking as much as defending or buffing.

As Blasters called Blappers are more fond of using melee attacks than range.

Or a Skranker ( a tank that plays as scrapper...)

Force fielder's bible.  My own personal bible... was pushing the FF/EN defender to the maximum offensive edge I could.

It was primarily built as part of a Defender DUO with two defenders each having FF and A.N.Other attack.  En' in my case.  Dark Blast in their's.

When we overlapped stackable FFs and buffed Def/Ins' bubbles.  We then began to take on all comers.

By the time I hit L50?  The build was optimised for defence and boosted for attack.  +4x8 Council?

I don't have Hasten on my build.  Part of me wishes I had it.  But it's very respectable.  And you can take incarnates such as Musc, Assault to boost attack or Agility with the Incarnate FF from destiny....  Or go for turbo/stamina from Destiny.  So many choices.  But building in as much resistance and def' into your build allows this flexibility.

Kicking Az?  No problem.  And I can still buff.   BUFF!  Troublesome boss?  Detention field.  Kill the trash.  Wait with the 'Going to get you stare...' for the boss.

Chess.  With knockback as opposed to knock down.  Skittles.  🙂

Azrael.

PS.  I have an En/En blaster with a good dollop of KB to KD convertors.  But not in the Nova or all powers.  It can be strategically interesting.  But if it was all pervasive it would be as dull as ditch water. 

I like Knock Back.  Especially on my 'Rock and Roll' Sentinel.  A blaster than can Junior Tank.  *Sends Council Vamp flying.  It's doing what I dreamed my blaster en en on live could do.  An En/Energy Shield Sentinel is a wonder of sorts for any En/KB fan. 

The only thing that beats it is a 600 million+ En/En Blaster with Bonfire.  I guess I'm addicted to the Energy sets.

And Force field.  It was my '1st love' on Live.  I've rolled it three times.  I think this time I've 'almost' mastered it.  But it was build as part of a duo of Force fielders.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, Frostweaver said:

I would love it if FF got a minor buff... like a -def (enhanceable) when an enemy steps into your big bubble or maybe a small damage component on your Knockback stuff... but bubblers, right now, with careful building, can perform just as well as any other defender, and better under 'special circumstances' the same way any defender is better under certain circumstances.

I think they could use some love, but they are definitely not 'bad' by any stretch. Plus, who else gives a whole team decent status protection? Time and traps certainly don't.

also, Malta and carnies. When you have a bubbler, sappers are a joke. Toxic enemies are neutered. Repulsion bomb is one of the better proc monkeys, as is force bolt.

Yep, two powers-detention field and repulsion field, suck butt, but lots of sets have a couple of useless powers. And some folks actually LIKE repulsion field... with the right procs (kb-kd) and ageless, it becomes an incredible 'squishy alive' tool even deep into incarnate content.

I think the only real problem with bubblers post-incarnates is people who don't know how to build for post-incarnate.

Contrary.  The only **** sucking is when I put the Malta to the sword using those very powers.  Detention Field (wut you going to do now Sapper or Titan Man?  Takes out the Cowboy gun runner) and Repulsion field (the latter takes some contextual mastering...but when you do...it partners very nicely with the Leadership power Moment of Victory...) and that stacks with Force  Bubble.  When to use bubbles at range vs protection in melee.  A vamp tries to sneak up on you and KO you out?  Rep' field...'wahhhhhhhheeeey......'  *goes flying.  Toggle management.  Sure.  But intelligent contextual playing.

The only power I think sucks is the 'Bomb' which, in reality is no Nova.  If it had Nova's scatter and damage boom factor, truly would be worthy.

FF.  Very thoughtful set.  It lays down the gauntlet to try and master it...whilst masquerading as a 'passive' set. 😉

*moves Knight to centre of the chess board.

Azrael.

PS.  *Waves* at Philotic Knight.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later

The only thing I would add is what abilities can now be proc'd out on regular Force field abilities such as Force Bolt and Repulsion bomb. I am pondering what is available to proc on repulsion field if it were 'tamed' with a KB > KD  enhancement.

For what it's worth, on the Statesman Task Force, back on live, I would clearly indicate which of the towers buffing Lord Recluse would be Detained. Most of the time folks didn't complain. It mostly made it easier for whoever was tanking Lord Recluse.

Also kudos to the suggestion for a beam rifle secondary. Most of Force fields isn't busy as say electrical affinity so you have the activation time available associated with some beam rifle abilities.

Replusion Bomb is a great power for procs.  I slotted 4 procs into mine, (ATO + FF  + -RESIST + DMG).  You don't need KB > KD, however.  It already does KD.

Sadly, Force Bolt isn't very good for slotting procs.  Procs only work well for slow recharging powers or powers you use on cooldown.  Force bolt, with a 4s cooldown and situational use, is neither.  

• 1 month later
On 5/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, Golden Azrael said:

The only power I think sucks is the 'Bomb' which, in reality is no Nova.  If it had Nova's scatter and damage boom factor, truly would be worthy.

That was me back in the day. During the issue with RWZ's release (6?), Castle changed RB from being ally- to mob-targeted and gave it a 10X damage increase (not joking), but kept the KB magnitude the same. Its damage and animation were the same as Neutron Bomb, but its recharge was 2X as long. The goal was clearly to make it an "always take" power instead of one that was easily skipped. If a squishy was in trouble, Repulsion Field and Force Bolt were there with Force Bubble around if you wanted to clear a bunch of mobs. There were a some people who loved the power, but I did have some success in getting people to call it Repulsion Turd. 

Specifically, RWZ had chain link fences -- you could KB mobs through them, rendering the mobs untargettable.  Yuck. And some builds, like FF / Rad, always had problems with KB playing nice with the PBAoE, the cone, and the heavy hitting, but short ranged, ST attack (apologies, been a long time, names slipping away). So ... Castle lowered the KB magnitude on my feedback to make sure it would always be useful to every build. You could get much of the KB back by slotting KB enhancers. Remember, this was before inventions.

With the KB > KD proc, this change should be rolled back. for maximum versatility.

Edited by BurningUp
  • Thanks 1

Wow. awesome guide. Thanks TPK. A little late for me, had to learn FF on my first defender the old fashioned way =). He's 50 now, a homage to Green Lantern.

The only thing I would like to add is regarding the Repulsion Field. 1) I have learned that a lot of people do not appreciate KB that much. However, slotting KB-KD into RF negates it altogether. enemies don't get knocked down, they just stand there unaffected. 2) I myself am fond of KB, especially when I solo which is quite often. In teams, however, RF can be used as a successful herding tool by running around the perimeter of the mob (also applicable to Storm's Hurricane). There was one time when there was a storm summoner with me, between me and him and a wall, we cornered the mob from two quadrants while the rest of the team did their thing.

Again, awesome guide. And I am thoroughly enjoying my FF/Energy Blast Green Lantern. Defences are through the roof!

Knock back...it's part of being a superhero.  Punch.  Send villain flying.

'Super.'

As for repulsion bomb.  I'd like to see it really turned into a bomb.  It's a real duffer power.  A 'no take' from me on my L50 Defender.

It's not like you have an embarrassment of riches with which to do damage with in the set.

I love FF.  My 1st Defender was FF/En.  I've re-rolled it about 4 times.  The last version is a +4 x8 masterpiece on HC servers.

Love.  It.

It's loaded with knockback.  ofc.

Azrael.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Great guide, thanks for posting.

Started a solo Bubble/Fire defender. One little trick I noticed was that you can put out the shield drone pet from the PTW and bubble it. +2.5% def and 5% end recovery isn't too bad for free. The best part is that mobs will attack it. Fully bubbled, and inside your dispersion bubble they'll swing away at it before they finally get a hit. In a sense it really does act like a shield 😁

• Like 3

• 11 months later
On 10/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, Golden Azrael said:

Knock back...it's part of being a superhero.  Punch.  Send villain flying.

'Super.'

As for repulsion bomb.  I'd like to see it really turned into a bomb.  It's a real duffer power.  A 'no take' from me on my L50 Defender.

It's not like you have an embarrassment of riches with which to do damage with in the set.

I love FF.  My 1st Defender was FF/En.  I've re-rolled it about 4 times.  The last version is a +4 x8 masterpiece on HC servers.

Love.  It.

It's loaded with knockback.  ofc.

Azrael.

Haha nice! I made one recently and was denied a join to an MLTF because of my powersets. Toon said he/she didn't like bubbles and knockback. *shrug*