Do you want to build a powerset...?

Agony

It doesn't have to be a power set!

But with the community thriving as it is, and our staffers knocking it out of the park like 99 maniacs, it seems we might have an opportunity to bend our collective heads together and actually build some power sets that we might like to see.  How many animation students do we have who could bend the form of CoX to their will?  How many programming students could twist the code to forge these sets into being?

Try to be concise, fill a niche that isn't already present, or offer a skin to something that already exists.  Try not to overbalance, and use an existing powerset as a basis for your design if you go into more than 'it would be nice to have whips', and remember that if you add something, take something away.

Just throwing out my initial reactions and observations:

Whips (flesh out the flaming whip animations from Mastermind - Demons)

Mastermind - Cultists

Mastermind - Arachnos

Mastermind - Freedom Corps

Mastermind - Ghosts

Flechettes (a ranged powerset with multiple light hits, sprays and cones, and scatterings of lethal damage, perhaps with a toxic or debuffing effect thrown in on various points.)

I'll cruise back later to add more meat to these bones in the future, but what ideas are in your pretty little heads, my cutie patooties?  How would you make a mark on City of Heroes?

Give us the option to mix and match power animations with FX between different powersets and emote-animations, please. And Mastermind: all types of NPC.

What would you mix with skulls, hellions, or devouring earth?

YES!

Probability Manipulation for Defenders/Controllers/Corruptors/Masterminds http://web.archive.org/web/20120905041804/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=249717

Magnetism for Defenders/Controllers/Corruptors/Masterminds http://web.archive.org/web/20120905042054/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=249719

Hyper-Intellect for Defenders/Controllers/Corruptors/Masterminds http://web.archive.org/web/20120905224442/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=289632

I also wanted kind of like... Epic Powersets for each AT, as well. And by Epic, I don't mean OP, I meant you had to do something in-game to earn them, kind of like getting a level 50 to unlock the Epic ATs. Unfortunately, I've misplaced all the info I had on these ideas, so I'm going to have to go off memory and can't remember all of them.

Carnival Performers for Masterminds

3 Clowns  who attack with bats and seltzer water, light defense, disorients and -Damage aura for protection. 2 Acrobats with MA and higher defense. 1 Strongman with a Titan Weapon mallot.

Biological Control for Dominators

Less flashy set, the idea behind it was having control over bodily functions like releasing chemicals in the brain that cause sleep, upsetting inner ear balance to make enemies vomit (like Poison Trap) or become disoriented or fall down(KD), causing excessive sweating for like an AoE Heat Exhaustion, etc. Most attacks would cause -regen/-recovery.

Hellfire Attacks for Corruptors

Basically an attack set based around the attacks in Demon Summoning. It would include those whip attacks, but then other more blast-y looking attacks. Fire/Toxic damage, -Res on most attacks. I also planned it having some kind of "corrupting" effect on the Corruptor using it, basically exposure to hellfire affected the Corruptor in some way that was both a buff and a debuff, but I can't remember what I settled on.

Light Bending for Defenders

Kind of the opposite of Dark Miasma. +ToHit/+Perception for allies, a little -ToHit on enemies, +Defense on allies, group invisibility, a new "reflect" mechanic to return some damage dealt.

Savage Melee for Brutes

The name was a coincidence but the idea was that it would be a set more affected by Rage than others. I think my idea was that once Rage had reached a certain percent, the ST attacks would redirect to AoEs with different animations.

Scythe for Stalkers

Kind of Stalkers' version of Titan Weapons in the sense that it would have more AoEs than typical on a Stalker, but would have a "Marked for Death" effect that would boost your damage against foes marked for death, rather than Momentum.

Throwing Blades for Scrappers

The idea here was that the attacks would redirect to one of two different attacks depending on your distance from your foe. Ranged versions that did less damage and a little DoT, and Melee versions that did more damage and lowered Defense.

I can't remember what I had for Controllers, Tankers and Blasters. :(

And sort of related, I also wanted a Sand Armor set that was mostly just a reskinned Stone Armor for Stalkers, replacing the rocky graphics with effects in game that already looked kind of sand-y or wind-y. Mud Pots would be more like quicksand (in theme, not the actual Quicksand power). I thiiink I planned to replace Granite Armor with a Sand Clone, which was basically like the Phantasm but appearing to have all the Sand Armor toggles on. It would be very tough, no real attacks but a damage/taunt aura and AoE taunts.

• Like 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

I always liked the idea of a Support set themed around the character being an inspired tactician and leader. Something like this:

Tactical Leadership - Support Set

1: Focus Fire - single target resistance and defense debuff.

2: Pull Yourself Together - single target heal and mez protection

3: Tactical Leadership - Toggle AoE Damage and To Hit Buff

4:

5: Stealthy Assault: Toggle AoE Stealth and Defense Buff (more defense than Shadow Fall but no resistances)

6: Superior Terrain - Patch debuff that debuffs speed, defense and resistance for enemies within it

7: Don't You Die On Me! - Single Target Rez, target receives a damage and defense buff.

8:

9: Lightning Assault: Self Teleport forward. Enemies at the destination are knocked down or stunned. Allies at the launch point receive buffs to Damage, Recharge and Speed (alternatively could make it a team teleport but that would probably upset some people)

I'm not really sure on the last two powers. I think some sort of control or To Hit debuff might be a good fit.

• Like 1

Defender Smash!

Before we make new Mastermind pets we must first give pets the power to MERGE into a gestalt.

Demons form a super demon

Soldiers or thugs fo m a super warrior

Undead form a super lich or something similar

Robots form a super robot

If two Hercules can combine into a Zeus then mm pets should be able to merge.

Must have all pets deployed and fully equipped and upgraded for the option to be active

5 minute time limit before gestalt runs out of power, has all combined powers of all pets but augmented

Flechettes (a ranged powerset with multiple light hits, sprays and cones, and scatterings of lethal damage, perhaps with a toxic or debuffing effect thrown in on various points.)

I think Flechettes would benefit from the same sort of Swap Ammo thing that Dual Pistols has -- be able to switch between, say, minor to-hit debuff, minor Defense debuff, minor slow, things like that.

I have a few on Lady_Jade's Power Suggestion Thread.  The one I remember best is Cartoon Melee.  A Feather, a Hammer, and and Anvil were 3 of the Power Pool's 4 powers.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Oh ye gods, yes!

Size Control: you can slide between a high def tiny person and a high resistance giant.

Duplication: a mastermind set where you summon duplicates of yourself.

Superspeed melee: a melee set designed for speedsters like the Flash.

Hypermass: a gravity-themed brute/tank armor set; your PBAoE pulls enemies toward you.

Sorcery control and Sorcery buff/debuff sets.

Pool set themed for the hero/rogue and vigilante/villain alignments: for example, you can inspire hope or fear, fire a TASER or a pistol, summon police or henchmen, and add a stun or a fear to your attacks.

Edited by Colette Valiant

Pets

Dinosaur Summoning - Niche:  Melee with knockdown and -fly.  Pets:  Deinonychous (pounces), Velociraptor (build up), Stegosaur (ground Slam).  Sample Moves:  Pterodactyl's Cry (smashing, -res)

Drone Summoning - Summoning the various drones you see in the cities.  Pets:  Council, Rikti, Arachnos.  Sample Moves:  Short Circuit (short hold and Electric), Big Guy (short duration Longbow drone summon).

Ranged Damage

Minigun - Used by Council weapons, perhaps repurposeable.  Niche:  Low-endurance Lethal.  Sample Moves:  Drum Swing (melee cone with knockdown), Spray and Pray (several low accuracy cones fired at once), Spin Up (Build Up variant with +acc, +dam, +animation speed), Brrt (shot recharge burst), Pour It On (targeted toggle which continuously attacks while you have endurance)

Rocket Launcher - Niche:  Varied damage types, targeted AoEs.  Sample Moves:  Smoke Warhead (AoE -perception, -tohit), Warp Warhead (negative energy, -teleport)

Shotguns - There are several animations in the game which use shotguns, but only one player temp power with them.  Niche:  Cones and short AoEs.  Sample Moves:  Run and Gun (targeted duration toggle which allows up to X shots to be fired without rooting), Taser Rounds (Energy damage), Incendiary Round (Fire damage), Impervium Round (Exteme damage, chance for knockdown)

Trick Shot - Attack using a 'sniper rifle' of sorts, causing various locks and speed debuffs.  Niche:  Mezzes, stacks of +tohit.  Sample Attacks:

Power Pools

Pistol - A single one-handed gun, allowing melee/tank sets to get in a small number of ranged attacks.  Sample Attacks:  Quickshot (single attack), Down The Sights (attack with 2.00x accuracy), Fan the Hammer (multiple shots), Deadeye (snipe)

Alternate Weapons

Staff Fighting - Hockey Stick

Staff Fighting - Lacrosse Stick

Staff Fighting - Mic Stand

War Mace - Guitar

War Mace - Walking Stick

Master Mind

Puppet Henchmen (Pinochio like Puppets or something)

Master Mind

Cartoon Henchmen (just Cartoon inspirated henchmen like Bunnys and Ducks)

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

If I could have a Shield/Telekinetic Blast Sentinel I'd drop my main in a heart beat. Could get around the limited engine like Super Strength and Gravity Control did and have a drawn object that looks like a physics object thrown at mobs.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Of course I'd love to see content partially developed by the community - it would be a massive boon to content. 

Will this reasonably happen?

I think it's probably unrealistic to expect new powers and stuff like that, as many resources - programming, art, animation, etc - as they require.

And a couple of the suggestions I know aren't possible - the Cryptic and Paragon teams apparently tried for years to get shapeshifting and size alteration working and it was just a no go in the CoX engine, and they said Speed Melee wasn't really viable because they made speed a movement power.

I just want more costumes honestly.

Middle eastern stuff

Various feather things and bird inspired stuff like champs online has

Ability to have different parts on each limb

Well, i guess the ability to change color of the prestige powers would be good.

And super speed letting you run up walls.

I would love a power set for MM, Scrapper, Brute, and Tank that relates to bears. Also, costume head and outfit that relates to fur and bear. An army of baby bears following me with a secondary shaman power set <3.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Of course I'd love to see content partially developed by the community - it would be a massive boon to content. 

Will this reasonably happen?

I think it's probably unrealistic to expect new powers and stuff like that, as many resources - programming, art, animation, etc - as they require.

And a couple of the suggestions I know aren't possible - the Cryptic and Paragon teams apparently tried for years to get shapeshifting and size alteration working and it was just a no go in the CoX engine, and they said Speed Melee wasn't really viable because they made speed a movement power.

As a professional computer programmer for a living, I can say that this is bumpkiss. Virtually ANYTHING is possible in code, given enough time and resources. What prevents things from happening in the virtual realm isn't the POSSIBILITY of it, it's the lack of time, resources, and interest. Companies in general do what gives them the most bang for the buck, and I would expect that the lack of shapeshifting today is the result of the company and its employees looking into the work it would take, and the number of players asking for it, and answering "the juice isn't worth the squeeze".

• Like 1
I'm out.

Probability Manipulation for Defenders/Controllers/Corruptors/Masterminds

That's a pretty fun concept. I might recommend one of the ally buffs should give the ally the ability to land crits. Thematically, it fits; the odds of landing just the right hit are increased. It would make it an incredibly unique set. It probably shouldn't be the same crit chance as Scrappers, but something slightly less often as that.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Looking at the amount of time going into posts like these, I have to stop myself from constantly asking why people aren’t just playing instead.

It must be terrible not to be able to play at work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward