Are there any underrated money makers for converter crafting?

Gravitus

We all know basics like damage, defense, resist dmg, healing etc are some of the more  desirable and lucrative categories because of their high demand for most builds .

Has anyone caught on to any niche enchantments/recipes that sell pretty well that not many people would think to jump in on?

7 hours ago, Gravitus said:

We all know basics like damage, defense, resist dmg, healing etc are some of the more  desirable and lucrative categories because of their high demand for most builds .

Has anyone caught on to any niche enchantments/recipes that sell pretty well that not many people would think to jump in on?

PvP recipes can do pretty well even if the proc or set bonuses aren't what the majority would consider great. If I'm looking for new things I'll generally start there.

• Like 1

My 2 inf:

1) There are always niche sets.

2) The niche sets vary day-by-day.

Personally, I have found non-ATO, non-PVP damage sets to be unreliable in terms of both sales & profits. That doesn't mean I won't check them every few days, of course. Every so often I will see the supply has dwindled to next to zero, but within a day or two those sets may have several hundred for sale.

I'm reluctant to reveal my own favorite market corners! There are a couple of sets which share a sales history with a fast-moving something that sells for much less, and so the 'pricey' set has a large number of what I suspect are low-ball bids. The history suppresses crafters from selling those sets because the prices look very low. I will almost always drop pieces into the pricey set knowing that the players who want them will eventually pay the better price for them. Even so, I wouldn't consider this an exploitable part of the market... these are just a few more places to stop the converter roulette.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 3

Chasing the big fish I think is more effort than it is worth.

Converter flipping of enhancements goes through three stages for me.

Converting to a different Uncommon until I get a category where there are a good proportion of Rare sets.

Convert in category to get to Rare.

Convert to a different Rare until i get one that will likely sell for 2 Million.

If after any flip I think the Enhancement might sell for a decent price then I put it on the market and click Find and see what it says.  When you are lucky one of your Uncommon flips will get you a decent selling Enh and you can stop spending converters on it.

Trying to chase what was FotM yesterday or last week is less important than what is a decent price now.

Pricing for sale is the other part of the issue.

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

So I accidentally happened across a pretty good to ridiculous niche, depending on how buy it nao the buyers get at a particular time - 1mil and change + 2-10 converters -> 4.5 - 8 mil (i've seen as high as 10). I don't actually even market much now as I have taken to afk farming to add to my ridiculous piles of money and I give away probably 20 times what I spend on my own toons.

So should I:

a) mention the niche here, killing the niche but making the IOs in question more affordable to everyone

2) just tell a couple of friends who're just starting out marketing or 

iii) keep it to myself, cackle madly as the money comes in and just have that much more of a pile to give to friends and those poor helpchan souls?

leaning toward iii, cuz i do love myself a good cackle.

6 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

iii) keep it to myself, cackle madly as the money comes in and just have that much more of a pile to give to friends and those poor helpchan souls?

leaning toward iii, cuz i do love myself a good cackle.

Yep. 

Well since I slowed down the amount I play, I noticed that my niche dropped down to 1k for recipe.  Madness! Opportunities exist.

Also, the massive swing between US primetime and non-US primetime is VERY exploitable. Be patient and don't blink when they call your bluff.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Since I've already met my goal of 20B, I'll share how I did it. It wasn't really planned, I just knew that I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. 

When the game first came out, Catalysts were seen as more valuable than they do now. They were selling for 4-5M on the weekends. So, that was where I made my first real chunk of loot. After raiding hami for a week, I had 800 Reward Merits, hit the vendor up, and converted to Catalysts and converters. The reason I got converters is this: 

Whether it's through hero packs or just buying ATOs off the AH, in order to make them superior, you have to slot them. There were more ATOs than I had level 50's of any particular AT. At the time, I had my fire/fire brute, before I learned Spines/fire was where it was at if you wanted to AFK farm. I honestly thought AFK farm meant you could go get a drink, come back and resume playing. I didn't realize it was something you could do for 15-30 minutes at a time. 

So, you presumably buy from AH the cheapest ATO you can get your hands on. I placed low bids for 6M. Some went through instantly. Others, took a day or so. But, since I didn't have my first billion, I was a bit cautious, stopped at 20 ATOs. I bought them, converted to brute. I unslotted my own superior ATOs, slotted the new ATOs, catalyzed them, then sold the ones I just pulled out. 

6M (ATO) + Catalyst (opportunity cost 5M) =11M
Sell for 18.78M. 

Most of the time, I'd get 20M within a few minutes. There were only 3-5 for sale. I know I wasn't the only person doing this, but with only a few for sale, whoever else was doing it, wasn't doing that much - which was fine by me. Fewer units for auction imply scarcity, which creates the illusion of higher demand and/or value. 

I got about 140M within a couple of hours, while I just ran the drecks map. Then, I set out to make sure I had a level 50 blaster and scrapper, too, so I could avoid using THAT many converters. Eventually, I got a Corruptor, a Defender, a Tank & a Sentinel to level 50 as well, so even fewer converters were needed to use before slotting & catalyzing. The sales on these were far slower, and the profits weren't as good on the back end, but the investment cost of the ATO was cheaper. Still not as good, but at this time, I hadn't really figured out how to afk farm. Just figured people were exaggerating, as most folks tend to do. 

I made my first billion doing this. Took me less than a week. Now, I just craft & convert any drops I get. 20B and counting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later

If I had to pick one way to make a billion inf as quickly as possible, I'd go with rare roulette.  Plenty of guides about that.

If I had to pick one thing to flip, it would be high demand ATOs.  High demand PvP are in second.

If I had to pick one thing to buy, convert and flip, it would be PvP IOs.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

• 1 month later

I've gotten to the point where I really don't even much bother with experimenting to find niches anymore. I just go with level 41 Reactive Defense to LotG global recharge. I'm not really in it for high volume anymore, since I've got several billion Inf salted away in emails and various characters' wallets, and I haven't rolled any new toons lately I need to blow the Inf on. So I'm not really in any huge rush to make more cash. I can afford to bid on a bunch of RD recipes and IOs at lowish prices and wait for them to roll in, and then convert them and list them. Over the last few months, LotG global recharge has sold at a pretty steady 7 mil. I know I'm far from the only person out there doing it, but they're just so necessary that I suspect a lot more people could jump on before the price falls too far.

Something else I toy with is snagging Gladiator's Net (the cheapest PVP set, because few people care about Holds) and converting them into Panacea, Shield Wall, and Gladiator's Armor procs. Those sell at a pretty steady 12 million Inf per. But relatively few Gladiator's Nets come on the market, so it's not something I can really do in huge numbers.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

On 1/7/2020 at 2:13 AM, Robotech_Master said:

Something else I toy with is snagging Gladiator's Net (the cheapest PVP set, because few people care about Holds) ...

I think the primary issue with PvP Gladiator's Net is that the same 7.5% recharge bonus is available from Basilisk's Gaze for 1 fewer slot. The Proc isn't terrible, but it is Lethal damage. I only have a few different characters with Primary set holds, and for their Holds I'm either franken-slotting or leaning into the ATOs. On the secondaries with hold effects, I usually don't have enough slots to dive deep into hold IOs.

Tend to go with rare roulette myself. Personal picks are the obvious ones, immob and Fear sets, they're usually dirt cheap and can easily turn a profit. Cost to buy 10 of them anywhere from 10.5k to 50k depending on the day, salvage is usually 2k per, crafting at level 41 121k. So crafting 10 costs me around 1.3 to 1.5 million. Then spend time converting until I get something that I can sell for 2-3million or more.

I was just noticing that brute ATOs are 10-12m, others are mostly 7-9m and VEAT ATOs are sometimes around 5ish.

Mostly it's the rare roulette, but there's some really nice values to be had in uncommons -- steadfast and karma can both be worth significant money, for instance.

My estimate is that I'll spend about 80-90k each for converters, so a rare I can get for under 170k is a better buy than an uncommon I can get for free.

That said: I also just craft everything. I run fire farms for tix, roll 10-14 bronzes, get 80 recipes, and just craft all of them, unconditionally, because I figure it helps the market as a whole to have more stuff getting dumped on it. (Although I still convert to things that are worth stuff.)

When buying, I buy attuned for anything but purples, then skim out any results I actually specifically want, like procs. I always sell levelled things, so I don't have to think about levels on my stuff.

• Like 1

For folks new to crafting and converting: Travel sets

How it works:

Step 1) Buy uncommon travel recipes and craft them. (These can be easily had, are pretty inexpensive and require only cheap salvage)

Step 2) Use two Enhancement Converters to change the crafted travel enhancement to one in the same travel category. This will change the uncommon to a rare.

Step 3) Sell what you made OR use one enhancement converter to change that enhancement to a different category.

Why travels sets? Because there are only 2 sets per travel category. This guarantees changing the uncommon to a rare.

Spoiler

For this scenario, my preference would be to use running. Quickfoot -> Celerity. The process gives a 1 in 3 chance to convert straight to a Celerity: Stealth (currently selling for 2M +/-)

Create new character, do the tutorial and sell the reward at the Black Market or Auction House. (That's a little extra starting capital for just a couple minutes) 

Do a couple low level arcs, get the exploration badges for Atlas Park and that will get enough merits to trade for Enhancement Converters at the Merit Vendor. (I only do this once. Then hording merits)

Buy some recipes, craft, convert and sell = some millions.

Repeat while now buying converters instead of using merits. This will get someone over 10 million fairly easily with minimal risk.

Remember, that first 10 million is about the same difficulty as the first 100 million. From there it's all up to you.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I am not much worried about secrecy, there's always new things.

My recent discovery: There's a handful of recipes which are uncommon-in-rare-sets, and some of them don't need a rare salvage, and you can buy them at low levels, and some of them are unpopular enough that you can buy them for 1k or so, giving you total expenses of around 5k to get an IO which converts as "rare". Convenient!

On 9/21/2019 at 12:53 AM, Gravitus said:

I, and many others I know, purpsefully sell everything we sell for a single buck to drive down the market and keep people from driving up the prices on the market like it was back on live.

If you want/need money, go farm. I've made as much as a billion infamy in about an hour and half just farming.

1 minute ago, Vayek said:

I've made as much as a billion infamy in about an hour and half just farming.

Well that sounds like a loophole that'll get addressed. Kudos for selling things cheaply to help folks.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

30 minutes ago, Vayek said:

I, and many others I know, purpsefully sell everything we sell for a single buck to drive down the market and keep people from driving up the prices on the market like it was back on live.

If you want/need money, go farm. I've made as much as a billion infamy in about an hour and half just farming.

Ears perked up.  How in the world did you pul that off?  The best I’ve heard quoted is about 2mm a minute, so you are doing over five times that?

Who run Bartertown?

22 hours ago, Vayek said:

Unless you discovered a serious exploit, Yomo Kimyata is spot on with the current top earning farmers. Check the 'farm fresh builds' thread which is full of people with actual supporting data posting their build and inf/minute earnings. Top dog by the smallest margin is Rad/Fire brutes with full billion dollar builds and inspiration combining macros and they can earn around 2.28 million per minute. If you prove you can farm what you claim in the time you claim, I'll throw a billion influence your way with this thread as my witness! Mostly because I'd only be an hour and a half away from getting it back 😉

Edited by Giocondi
  • Haha 1