"Am I cool yet?" Club

Extor Prime

This thread is for people like me, who obsess over having a powerful main and therefore spend a lot of time beating their heads into assorted walls, said walls being content intended for groups. 

For some reason, CoX brings out the "am I cool yet" syndrome in me. I obsess over pylon kill times. I soloed ITF at 0/8 and while it was fun, it was unsatisfying because it wasn't +4/8. I ground through Maria Jenkins' missions at +4/8 and it was entirely too long and too frustrating, but now I got my DimWarder badge for beating the Praetorian AVs on max difficulty.

Funny thing is, I don't usually play games on "hard" or "very hard" setting. I generally dislike artificial buffs/artificial nerfs just for their own sake. And since I am almost at VL100 and have plenty Inf, rewards don't particularly matter. But for some reason I keep my difficulty setting at Max and keep soloing to prove... something, I'm sure. To whom, I have no idea.

Anyway. I know I'm asking for a "weird flex but OK", but, does anyone else engage in this playstyle?

• Like 2

I mean, I soloed LRSF and a handful of giant monsters just to prove that I could, but I generally play on +0/x8, because I'm at vet level 70+ and just don't need more exp. Killing purples just takes too long.

I pretty much know what my character is capable of, and I don't really feel the need to "prove" myself. I already have a fairly strong reputation on my server, regardless. I am confident that my main is about as strong as a character in CoH can possibly be, so I don't really consider myself to be in competition with anyone.

I guess it comes down to, "You'll know you're one of the cool kids when you're no longer concerned with being one of the cool kids."

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The_Cheeseman said:

I guess it comes down to, "You'll know you're one of the cool kids when you're no longer concerned with being one of the cool kids."

This of course applies to life in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

2 hours ago, The_Cheeseman said:

This.  If you have to prove it to the world, you're proving the opposite.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Well, did the game give you a wedgie and take your lunch money?  If not I guess you must be one of the cool kids then.:)

It sounds like you're looking more at the "Stupid Scrapper Tricks" *tm than really cool kids.  Play, don't stress the small stuff and the cool is there.  And there's nothing wrong with the SST bit if it makes you happy.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Im all about minimum effort for maximum reward, so while yeah sometimes i do stuff "just because I can" most of the time I do stuff as fast and with as much payoff as possible.  Even if I dont need influence or merits, I still want as much as I can make in as little time as I can spend.

But im not above providing dick pics on request when someone really needs to know how big it is.

I guess I phrased the OP badly.

It's not about showing off to others (I barely talk to people in game and spend most time on my own) but rather about an irrational urge to crank up the challenge setting just for my own sake.

Which isn't something I normally do in games other than CoH.

• Like 2

Can I make a suggestion? Try the game with as opposite as you can get to your normal playstyle. Find different things to minmax. E.g. If you play a brute or scrapper, try a controller. For example, did you know that ritki guardians buff your team with accelerate metabolism if you confuse them? Surgeons heal you. Menders give you force fields. Force field generators buff your whole team's defence. Find another confuse-capable character and go on an adventure with your new pet AV.

A fortunata can keep a whole team alive with no healing - just a load of defence buffs and control powers. 

A rad/rad defender can solo AV's with about half the base damage output of a scrapper. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I have never been the type of gal who has to outdo the person next to me.  My biggest competition is myself.  Sure...people have maybe soloed hami with an empathy defender but that's not my goal.  My goal is to get the empathy defender across perez with no travel power and no CoT or clock encounters.  

There does seem to be something about the game mechanics here that make me want to do better than I did yesterday.  Maybe its the endless versatility of gameplay.  No matter how minmax you are or how many toons/combos youve played you can always go farther. 

I think its part of the reason us oldies are here playing a 15 yr old dead game lol.

• Like 1

Perhaps not quite the same thing but I enjoy Multi-boxing* for the challenge of managing three characters at once. I get the challenge partly form fighting in a different way but also in making the game do what I want. It isn't a zero death proposition... 😄

That is I control (via software) three accounts at once. What one does they all do, I don't mean I have a Spines/Fire Brute with a pocket defender on follow (tried that, it was boring). At level 50 (with two full builds (working on 3rd now)) I'm doing +2/x8 on a trio of controllers, currently having issues with Death Mages and de-toggling. It would be marginally easier to run 4x (buffs/debuffs stack better) and I'd love to try a full 8x... I'm told that Fire/Rad x8 is godlike...

I also play in teams and solo but I never feel the urge to push harder when playing like that only when I'm pushing my limits with a trio of idiots... 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Short answer to OP.   No.... you're not the only one who does this.  

My logic is this... i love min/maxing builds... it's why I'm here.  And 4x8 challenges are what you do with a maxed out builds, right?  The real trick is trying to find something to do that is still believed to be "impossible."  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

Perhaps not quite the same thing but I enjoy Multi-boxing* for the challenge of managing three characters at once. I get the challenge partly form fighting in a different way but also in making the game do what I want. It isn't a zero death proposition... 😄

That is I control (via software) three accounts at once. What one does they all do, I don't mean I have a Spines/Fire Brute with a pocket defender on follow (tried that, it was boring). At level 50 (with two full builds (working on 3rd now)) I'm doing +2/x8 on a trio of controllers, currently having issues with Death Mages and de-toggling. It would be marginally easier to run 4x (buffs/debuffs stack better) and I'd love to try a full 8x... I'm told that Fire/Rad x8 is godlike...

I also play in teams and solo but I never feel the urge to push harder when playing like that only when I'm pushing my limits with a trio of idiots... 😄

I saw you doing this in action this weekend during a Zombie invasion and I gotta say it's one of the coolest dang things I've ever seen.

10 hours ago, Extor Prime said:

I guess I phrased the OP badly.

It's not about showing off to others (I barely talk to people in game and spend most time on my own) but rather about an irrational urge to crank up the challenge setting just for my own sake.

Which isn't something I normally do in games other than CoH.

Sure, I’ll validate you!

Some people like to play chess against grandmasters, and some want to play checkers against toddlers.  Sometimes both in the same day!  I lean towards seeking challenges myself.  At a certain point, there are no more real “rewards” from playing other than the enjoyment of the game itself.

Who run Bartertown?

I'll second Shred Monkey. We do what we do because it's how the game works for some of us. Some folks just like being on a team of 8 and wouldn't know or care about the math behind the defense soft cap. Some folks aren't happy until the feel they've reached the right balance in their builds. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

You're not alone.

• Like 2

I find my enjoyment not from soloing content...with 1 character, but with dragging 3 accounts around at the same time so that I can get 3x the reward merits from completing the TF. One follows me around (Sonic/whatever Defender) and buffs me and the other door camps the final mission for the rewards.

How to know if you in the Cool Kid's Club?

Are you playing CoH?

Are you enjoying it?

If you answered Yes yo both questions...

Conga ratz! You are in the Cool Kids Club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

How to know if you in the Cool Kid's Club?

Are you playing CoH?

Are you enjoying it?

If you answered Yes yo both questions...

Conga ratz! You are in the Cool Kids Club.

Beat me to it!!!  Well said!