*/Ninja Training - How does any primary other than Archery make sense?

Fan Mail

I was just dinking around with Mids and saw this Ninja Training secondary set available for Blasters.  I haven't tried it so won't knock it. 

Although, I have a hard time thematically making sense of any primary other than Archery making sense.  Perhaps I have a limited sense of imagination.  

Any feedback on playing Ninja Training for Blasters?

Edited by tafilr

I was going to say, Pistols/Katana is pretty common in comics/anime.

Plus you can use other weapon models to do some stuff... like glowing katana and electric blasts to be a jedi/sith knockoff.  I bet there are some other models that lead to other fun concepts.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I have an AR/Ninja Blaster at 50.  I liked Ninja quite a bit, but I didn't take any of the katana attacks.  I've figured the character is a super spy type.

Immobilizing Dart you have to take, which is a bummer.

Choking Powder is a nice hold.  Not probably a necessity, but nice to have.

Shinobi is a nice multi-power, stealth/+to-hit/dmg-buff/+def.  Necessary.

Kuji-In Toh is fantastic.  Get it, set it to auto, pretty much forget END issues.

I tried Blinding Powder, but the range was too short and I wasn't using it in groups or solo.

Soooo... I actually have a few friends who practice the modern martial art of Ninjutsu. They are also fans and students of the history of Ninjas. One common misconception about Ninjas is that they had some special love of their peculiar weapons. While, in fact, they are all about efficiency, and using the best tools for the job. So, a modern ninja is just as likely to use an AR as a bow, depending on which is more suited to the job.

Also, you can imagine someone being born able to project fire, but with no special physical gifts. They might want to get special training to be able to compete in the big bad world of supers. Or a mutant might be born into a Ninja family. Or maybe a trained ninja found a magic gem that gives her special powers.

As an example of a "mis-matched" Ninja, I have a Scrapper that is War Mace/Ninja. Her backstory, in brief, is that she was born into an ancient mystical Ninja sect. But, she is quite a bit bigger and more muscular than the average member of the clan. As a little girl, she was required to take Ninjutsu, but she really preferred the satisfying *crunch* of a heavier weapon, and preferred toe-to-toe fighting over stealth. So, when she was a teenager, she learned mace-wielding from Youtube. On one of her jobs, she "acquired" a magic mace from a target, and boom, mace-swinging ninja! (She's also a lot of fun to play, turns out to be a decently synergistic combo).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tafilr said:

I was just dinking around with Mids and saw this Ninja Training secondary set available for Blasters.  I haven't tried it so won't knock it. 

Although, I have a hard time thematically making sense of any primary other than Archery making sense.  Perhaps I have a limited sense of imagination.  

Energy or fire make for some good generic "ki attacks".  Darkness, ice, sonic, or electricity for more of an elementalist/furies type, (think Lo Pan's enforcers from Big Trouble in Little China).  Beam rifle or assault rifle can make for a good modern ninja-soldier.  Pistols can give you more of  a"hard boiled" type of martially-trained cop/detective/PI type.

Edited by biostem

7 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I was going to say, Pistols/Katana is pretty common in comics/anime.

Plus you can use other weapon models to do some stuff... like glowing katana and electric blasts to be a jedi/sith knockoff.  I bet there are some other models that lead to other fun concepts.

I was actually considering making a series of jedi/sith characters.  Paired with something like Electric colored red and you've got a Force Choke (Choking Powder), Force Domination (Blinding Powder), Mind Trick (Smoke Flash) and I'm sure there's some kind of force power that would boost your overall constitution/endurance (Kujiin to) and you got a sith.  For a jedi, Sonic would be a good pairing with your force push and there are more passive jedi powers that put people to sleep...you might have to skip out on the force choke though.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:53 PM, oedipus_tex said:

Fire/Ninja?

Image result for ryu street fighter fireball

Fire/MA there 

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

17 minutes ago, biostem said:

Yes, Ryu can sometimes shoot an actual fire ball, but generally it appears to be more concussive, (i.e. energy blast in game terms).

But then ... aren’t you making Goku? 

kinetic scrapper and call it a day? 

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

2 minutes ago, Rejolt said:

But then ... aren’t you making Goku? 

kinetic scrapper and call it a day? 

I suppose it depends upon how you translate each character into the game.  Goku would probably be more of a sentinel, or perhaps some weird hybrid that we can't actually make in-game...

On 10/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, tafilr said:

My character who's an homage to the Shadow (particularly the pulp paperback version) is Dual Pistols / Ninja Training.

But Immobilizing Dart is basically Black Widow's wrist blasters.

When it comes to power set selection I often like to take two powersets that synergize to me and which can even be extended as part of the same meta-power or concept. But not always. It can also be fun to have someone who has two different power sets and in essence has a two-part origin. Any COH powerset that involves using weapons or equipment can be easily explained as getting equipment somehow, but you can make a more complex and rich backstory too.  For this example, what about a pyrokinetic mutant who got identified by the government or a secret organization that exploits super powered individuals or maybe even Malta in an experimental program. They got trained as an assassin and then broke free. Ergo, Fire blast/ninja stuff. And good backstory for someone possibly going to go Vigilante or Rogue. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

29 minutes ago, Moka said:

Dual Pistols/Ninja sounds like it'll always be super cool but the min/maxer in me never wants to try.

Yeah it's a combo you really only play because it is a lot of fun. 

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"- Chesty Puller US Marine Corps

On 10/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, Broken_Prey said:

On 10/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Moka said:

Dual Pistols/Ninja sounds like it'll always be super cool but the min/maxer in me never wants to try.

Why? It works pretty well, and is a seriously good farmer, for a blaster. It takes a careful attack chain and some decent macros, but when done right I'd take it over a

fire/fire.

If you need help with the build and macros, I'd be happy to share. It's not as powerful in a team, but soloing +3/8 content it's a beast. DP works best close to point blank range, and MC has a lot of serious point blank buff action. They are very synergistic, and more powerful than the sum of their parts.

I am betting when they made MC they had DP in mind, because there are almost TOO many synergies.

Edit-ouch. you were talking about Ninja, not MC. My bust. Hmm... Ninja seems to have some nice synergies too. I will have to look into this.

Edited by Frostweaver

On 10/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Moka said:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Ninja Training
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(7), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 1: Immobilizing Dart -- EntChs-Heal%(A), Dcm-Build%(46)
Level 2: Empty Clips -- Ann-ResDeb%(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(5), Ann-Acc/Dmg(31)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 6: Swap Ammo
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(11), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Rgn-Knock%(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(19)
Level 12: Shinobi -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(15), ToHit-I(39)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(17), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(17), UnbGrd-Max HP%(19), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(29)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(48)
Level 20: Kuji-In Toh -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(43), Prv-Heal(43)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Ksm-ToHit+(27), LucoftheG-Def(29)
Level 24: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Piercing Rounds -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 28: Choking Powder -- BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(31), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(37), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(42)
Level 30: The Lotus Drops -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(50), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(50)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 35: Blinding Powder -- SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(A), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SphIns-ToHitDeb(36), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(36), SphIns-%ToHit(37)
Level 38: Golden Dragonfly -- Obl-Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Obl-%Dam(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 44: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Smoke Flash -- Acc-I(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-EndRdx(42)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(39)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 6: Chemical Ammunition
Level 6: Cryo Ammunition
Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment
------------

I could play this.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, Broken_Prey said:

Sounds like a good way to represent GUNKATA (see: Equilibrium starring Christian Bale) which is why the DP animations are so flowy and showy - it was part of the inspiration.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I built a DP/devices toon already.  But if I had to do it over, I'd tweak it to DP/ninja.  I currently use none of the device attack powers, but I would use a few sword attacks if I had them.  The ninja buffs appear to be identical to the device buffs, so that would play out the same.   DP/ is very strong AoE, and single target is more that sufficient to solo +4 AVs...  Ninja would actually improve both single target and ranged damage when I move into melee.   Plus, IMHO, jumping in and out of melee to line up attacks is a lot of fun... I'm actually really wanting to do this toon, now that I started talking about it. 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow