Lets talk about Gravity!

Mina Valerious

But Propel already does hit multiple targets, it does damage to the primary target but it hits with knockdown in an AoE around them.  If it did AoE damage as well, it would need a longer cooldown to compensate, and the last thing we need in a set with only two attacks which do appreciable damage is longer cooldowns.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AkuTenshiiZero said:

But Propel already does hit multiple targets, it does damage to the primary target but it hits with knockdown in an AoE around them.  If it did AoE damage as well, it would need a longer cooldown to compensate, and the last thing we need in a set with only two attacks which do appreciable damage is longer cooldowns.

I am fine with it not doing AoE. My problem is that if you want it to do damage to only one thing, and knock the others down through, I suppose a "shockwave effect" or something, then don't have the object be an entire dumpster or a CAR. Have the power summon a lamp or a chair.

I always feel more self conscious about using propel on my Gravity Controller than I do energy blasts on my blaster. Just because all the garbage left lying around annoys me enough that I know other people find it so. A half dozen nick nacks people won't notice but a dumpster, a forklift and 79 Chrysler Cordoba sedan is a different matter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

I am fine with it not doing AoE. My problem is that if you want it to do damage to only one thing, and knock the others down through, I suppose a "shockwave effect" or something, then don't have the object be an entire dumpster or a CAR. Have the power summon a lamp or a chair.

I always feel more self conscious about using propel on my Gravity Controller than I do energy blasts on my blaster. Just because all the garbage left lying around annoys me enough that I know other people find it so. A half dozen nick nacks people won't notice but a dumpster, a forklift and 79 Chrysler Cordoba sedan is a different matter.

Originally, objects would explode on contact and was accompanied with a big boom sound, giving the feeling that you hit with such force, the object couldn't withstand the impact...and there were no objects laying around after to obstruct view. It looked cooler and was way more user friendly. Why it was ever changed from that is beyond me, however it was a completely stupid decision. It's a very dull effect now compared to what it used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never been clear on the objects summoned through Propel.  Am I summoning a pool table through some portal where some guy at a bar was lining up a shot and then is all “WTF?”  Or am I picking up the pool table that just happens to be sitting around in that cave you’re running around in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

I always figured I had found a junkyard and paid a fee and I was randomly shooting junk from it at people. Except the car, that was Azuria's. Ooops.

I love the way it works now, both in terms of how it chucks an object at things and how it now has a small knockdown splash effect. It also has a faster cast time than it used to (as well as benefits from the 2nd containment effect of Impact). It used to be laborious to chuck things, now it's actually PEW PEW PEW. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Originally, objects would explode on contact and was accompanied with a big boom sound, giving the feeling that you hit with such force, the object couldn't withstand the impact...and there were no objects laying around after to obstruct view. It looked cooler and was way more user friendly. Why it was ever changed from that is beyond me, however it was a completely stupid decision. It's a very dull effect now compared to what it used to be. 

My memory is fuzzy on this point, but I want to say the change was made to highlight their successful implementation of PhysX.

• Like 3

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

5 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

Then fight more super foes.  Throwing a lamp or chair at a Malta Titan sounds pretty lame.

13 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

Not if you throw it at mach 10!

At that speed (11,000 ft/s on an attack that is only 90ft range), you wouldn't even see what you were throwing nor would there be anything left of a lamp or chair in the aftermath.  So you'd be asking for a generic flaming "comet" animation that evaporates upon/before impact.

17 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

At that speed (11,000 ft/s on an attack that is only 90ft range), you wouldn't even see what you were throwing nor would there be anything left of a lamp or chair in the aftermath.  So you'd be asking for a generic flaming "comet" animation that evaporates upon/before impact.

Not to quibble, but comets are made of ice, so I assume you meant meteor. Also, meteors travel in excess of 70,000 meters/s (229,658 ft/s) while escape velocity is 40233 km/hr (36,666 ft/s) and so numerous rockets do this without "flaming". (OK, so pretty quibbly, but still true.)

And as for said animation... While you may prefer a more subtle and artistic rendering of butterflies lulling them to sleep like that creature from the Lunesta commercial I am cool with BOOM and POW explosions as long as it doesn't make me wade through a bunch of garbage that my singularity will then pick up and play with for the rest of the mission.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

Not to quibble, but comets are made of ice, so I assume you meant meteor. Also, meteors travel in excess of 70,000 meters/s (229,658 ft/s) while escape velocity is 40233 km/hr (36,666 ft/s) and so numerous rockets do this without "flaming". (OK, so pretty quibbly, but still true.)

No, I mean comet. I know comets are made of ice but they are more ubiquitous with looking like generic streaks with a prominent brightness at the head.  A meteor when depicted in tend to have a prominent rock core.  I quoted "comet" (not flaming) to depict the visual representation.  If you didn't understand my use of quotations there, I'm explaining my rationale above there ^ Meteors are usually depicted as falling rocks.

As for the explanation of rockets not flaming up, they usually have heat resistant plating.  They do flame up, they just don't burn away thus the "corona" (can't think of the proper term for it atm) wouldn't be as visually represented (that is, less material is burning away thus less visual "flaming" to be seen).

1 hour ago, quixoteprog said:

And as for said animation... While you may prefer a more subtle and artistic rendering of butterflies lulling them to sleep like that creature from the Lunesta commercial I am cool with BOOM and POW explosions as long as it doesn't make me wade through a bunch of garbage that my singularity will then pick up and play with for the rest of the mission.

I'm sorry, what is this pertaining to?  This has nothing to do with your previous statement or reply.

Speaking specifically about the garbage left behind, why not request graphics options to turn off persisting objects (trash, leaves, round casings, and your gravity propel trash) or decrease the time they persist or something?  Requesting to decrease their size to simple lamps and chairs I am against, however.

I'd also like the size of the objects to be more appropriate to the target, but I don't think that's possible with the current setup. Everybody sees a different object. I might see a car, but my teammate will see a chair. I'm always amused when I end up throwing a chair at Jurassik.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Uun said:

I'd also like the size of the objects to be more appropriate to the target, but I don't think that's possible with the current setup. Everybody sees a different object. I might see a car, but my teammate will see a chair. I'm always amused when I end up throwing a chair at Jurassik.

The client side rendering of Propel objects makes for a fun drinking game with your team mates.  Whenever Propel is cast, everyone shouts out what they see:

1. Lamp!
  2. Gargoyle!
  3. Dumpster!
  4. Auto body!
  5. Gargoyle!
  6. File cabinet!

Those who shout out the same thing have to take a shot.  In the example above, players 2 and 5 would have to drink, because they both saw the Gargoyle.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

A tip for Singularity owners: When it wants to follow you into a store and cries when you say no, just point it at a dumpster to fling garbage out of and keep itself entertained.  Under no circumstances let it in unless you want to get banned from the shop.

2 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

The client side rendering of Propel objects makes for a fun drinking game with your team mates.  Whenever Propel is cast, everyone shouts out what they see:

1. Lamp!
  2. Gargoyle!
  3. Dumpster!
  4. Auto body!
  5. Gargoyle!
  6. File cabinet!

Those who shout out the same thing have to take a shot.  In the example above, players 2 and 5 would have to drink, because they both saw the Gargoyle.

What teams do this?  Also, if I do join said team, please don't cast Propel upon recharge.

On 11/14/2019 at 12:14 PM, Mina Valerious said:

I've always wondered why as a Gravity Controller.... when I use propel and it's summoned a pool table, large box, metal shelf.... why it only hits 1 target.... an object that big would obviously hit more!!!

Force = mass * acceleration

Propel would, theoretically, have a specific limit to the force it could apply.  Thus, while a pool table may have significantly greater mass than a desk phone, it would also experience less acceleration, as the fixed value of force would impose a restriction on acceleration.  As a result, while it would deliver the same amount of damage to a single target, the reduced acceleration and subsequent loss of kinetic energy as it struck the initial target would leave too little force to damage additional targets.  It would knock them down, but likely not hurt them.

Physics.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

14 hours ago, Leogunner said:

What teams do this?  Also, if I do join said team, please don't cast Propel upon recharge.

My teams do this, when we're in the mood for booze and laughs.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer