11 minutes ago, seebs said:

Well, gosh. If you were to combine a bunch of the different powers (repel, hurricane, lift, etc.) that have knockup, you could have a pretty good all-knockup mez set.

I propose to call it Gravidity Control.

It makes it's targets pregnant??    define:gravid

• Haha 3

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

This one is a little technical so I doubt it's completely viable, but City of Heroes *desperately* needs a powerset like this if only for thematic reasons. This set uses a lot of existing material but most powers themselves are only seen used by NPCs.

Insect Control

Gadgets WebGrenade.png - Toxic Web: Basically toxic web grenade, though this power also has a visual FX of scuttling bugs racing to their target (quite possibly ones from the path aura).

BaneSpiderTraining WebCocoon.png - Crushing Cocoonsimilar to the Web Cocoon power, except it deals smahsing DoT. This has an aura of bugs around it too. (FX from Bio Armor could be used instead, as a sort of 'shell' over the enemy)

DarkCast TenebrousTentacles.png - Toxic Nest: A cone version of Toxic Web, with similar FX.

Gadgets SmokeGrenade.png - Cloud of Flies: basically the 'smoke' power, but with a heavy aura of flies instead of smog.

MartialAssault TrickShot.png - Infestation: Imagine 'Call Swarm', but with the ability to chain to enemies over time. DoT is increased on enemies affected by webs or cocoons.

TrickArrow Slow.png - Sticky Patch: Similar effects and FX to 'Glue Arrow', this power slows enemies who enter the area, with the addition of crawling bugs scuttling around. 

PlantControl Vines.png - Mass Cocoon: A Targeted AoE version of Crushing Cocoon, though without the damage

Thugs TargetedSummonMob.png - Summon Swarm: A similar power to 'Hell on Earth', this instead summons swarms alike to those in the Devouring Earth, harassing enemies with a weak DoT effect and a faint taunt aura.

Thugs HirePosse.png - Spiderlings: A power that summons 3 retextured versions of the 'banespawn', with access to a toxic/lethal biting attack.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Crimsanotic said:

Earth Sibyls of the Talons of Vengeance have several earth blast powers, including a nuke.

2019-12-28_12-00-17.jpg

Great find!

I think some of these powers work much better for Stone Blast than some of my suggestions, perhaps Shards of Stone, Upthrust and Meteor in place of Gravel, Stalagmites and Upheaval respectively!

• Like 2

it may not be a 'grenade blast' set in its entirety, but I think if we re-use some of the stuff I suggested for Urban Assault, we could potentially make it into a blast set with a few more powers. it would mean a powerset made completely out of NPC powers though.

Street Warfare

You are adept at using your street smarts to improvise all means of weaponry, from the environment around you or through makeshift explosives.

FireBlast Flare.png - Throw Rock: A power many NPCs have, throwing a rock to deal light smashing damage

FireBlast FireBlast.png - Throw Scrap: A power unique to Dockworkers/Scrapyarders, throws scrap to deal smashing/lethal damage

FireBlast ArcOfFire.png - Spit Fire: An Arsonist henchmen power, dealing good fire DoT in a cone

FireBlast FireBall.png- Dynamite: Another Destroyers/Scrapyarders power, dealing smashing damage in an AoE

FireBlast Aim.png - Aim

FireBlast RainOfFire.png - Molotov Cocktail: Another NPC power, dealing fire DoT in an AoE much like Rain of Fire

FireBlast Blaze.png - Hurl: A Super Strength power I figured would work here as a good low range power that deals good smashing damage

FireBlast FireBall.png - Firebomb: A power belonging  to Arsonist/Scrapyarders, deals high smashing/fire damage in an AoE with heavy fire DoT

FireBlast Inferno.png - IED: A new power that functions like trip mine or time bomb, uses the bomb 'glowie' prop to deal extreme smashing/fire damage.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 2

Since I've made a few blast, manipulation, assault and control sets, I'm gonna try and suggest some more stuff in favor of melee characters too, so I dug around a little and found that the scrapped Primalist actually has a lot of usable material for a defense powerset by using powers from 'Primal Gifts' (there is data and icons for the powers, but I'm unsure if there is any FX with it). See here.

Primal Armor

PrimalGifts ThickHide.png - Thick Hide: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart, providing resistance to smashing, lethal, cold and slow

PrimalGifts PackMaster.png - Constitution: an auto-power that grants additional max health, and minor resistance to all damage

PrimalGifts PrimalWard.png - Primal Ward: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart, granting resistance to fire, cold, energy and negative, as well as endurance drain

PrimalGifts NaturesBoon.png - Nature's Embrace: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart, giving good mez resistance, as well as small resistance to cold, psionic and toxic

PrimalGifts ShiftersShield.png - Survival of the Fittest: a new power that grants you Absorption for each foe nearby while lowering their damage resistance.

PrimalGifts Rejuvenate.png - Rejuvenateunlike the Primal Gifts version, this power only heals yourself, and gives slight resistance to toxic damage.

Willpower HeightenedSenses.png - Primal Senses: A new power that is functionally identical to Heightened Senses from Willpower. Gives a boost to defence, perception and resistance to defense debuffs.

PrimalGifts PrimalistsCloak.png - Camouflage (or Hide on Stalkers): identical to 'Primalist's Cloak', except it lacks the changing forms element. Works as a stealth power with a slight defense boost

PrimalGifts WilloftheWild.png - Will of the Wild: Mostly unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart, providing a huge boost to resistance and regeneration, and also a boost to damage and healing received.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

Since I've made a few blast, manipulation, assault and control sets, I'm gonna try and suggest some more stuff in favor of melee characters too, so I dug around a little and found that the scrapped Primalist actually has a lot of usable material for a defense powerset by using powers from 'Primal Gifts' (there is data and icons for the powers, but I'm unsure if there is any FX with it). See here.

Primal Armor

PrimalGifts ThickHide.png - Thick Hide: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart.

PrimalGifts PackMaster.png - Constitution: an auto-power that grants additional max health, and minor resistance to all damage.

PrimalGifts PrimalWard.png - Primal Ward: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart.

PrimalGifts NaturesBoon.png - Nature's Embrace: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart.

PrimalGifts ShiftersShield.png - Survival of the Fittest: a new power that grants you Absorption for each foe nearby while lowering their damage resistance.

PrimalGifts Rejuvenate.png - Rejuvenateunlike the Primal Gifts version, this power only heals yourself, and gives slight resistance to toxic damage.

PrimalGifts Inexhaustible.png - Primal Essence: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart.

PrimalGifts PrimalistsCloak.png - Camouflage (or Hide on Stalkers): identical to 'Primalist's Cloak', except it lacks the changing forms element.

PrimalGifts WilloftheWild.png - Will of the Wild: unchanged form its Primal Gifts counterpart.

While mechanically solid, I'm not sure I'd really welcome this unless it had some seriously nature-y VFX.  As a concept, it just doesn't sell anything -- "I'm resisting damage with my nature-ness?"  It would always boil down to "what's your nature-ness providing?" which in turn boils down to Willpower, Regen, Invulnerability, SR, etc etc.

So basically, because it doesn't fill a "how" concept, it instead would need to fill a theme.

Another +1 for the Insect control set, btw.  That's top-notch.

• Like 1

if my hunch is right, Savage Melee was potentially salvaged from the scrapped Primalist Archetype, so I'm hoping that there are indeed FX that can be used to build a defense powerset from.

if there isn't any FX for it, then I suspect that some of the FX from either Nature Affinity or Beast Mastery may be a good fit.

To set this apart numerically, i think there should be more emphasis on Cold and Toxic resistance, as I feel these are the sort of hazards a hardened survivalist would be able to endure. 

Temporal Energy Armor

Chrono Physiology: <Passive> Energy/Cold/Toxic/Psychic Resist (+10%), Slow Resist (+20%)

-Your ability to manipulate temporal energy has altered your physiology to ignore the effects of cold and energy attacks, while making your mind more resistant to mental attacks and your body able to burn away toxins faster.

Temporal Healing: <Click - 10.4 End> +Heal (24.99%), Toxic Resist (+15%)

-You can heal your wounds by placing your body in a past or future state if not simply speeding up time in your own body.

Time's Junction: <Toggle - .26/End Sec> -Damage (-15%), -Speed (-25%), Recharge (-25%), -ToHit (-3.75%)

-You can create a time dilation field around yourself, causing enemies who get close to you to be slowed to a crawl, making their attacks weaker and easier for you to avoid them.  Enemies effected by Delay, have these effects increased.

Time Lord: <Toggle - .26/End Sec> Mez (Stun, Hold, Immobilize, Sleep, Knockback) Protection, +Regen (+25%), +Recharge (+20%), +Speed (12.5%), +Damage (+12.5%)

-You're in an Accelerated state, allowing you to heal and move faster, allowing you to hit harder.  You are in Accelerated State for purposes of other Temporal Powers that aren't your own.

Farsight: <Toggle - .26/End Sec> +Defense (+12.5%), +Perception, +ToHit (+5%)

-You perceive time in a slower state, allowing you react faster.

Temporal Cloak: <Toggle - .26/End Sec> +Defense (+3.75%), Stealth

-You can bend time around yourself to become almost invisible.  Doesn't stack with other stealth powers.

Chrono Shift: <Toggle - .26/End Sec> +Regen (+150%), +Speed (+12.5%), +Recharge (+20%), +Slow Resist (+20%), +Energy/Cold/Toxic/Psychic Resist (+15%), End Drain Resist

-You have mastered the ability to slip through time with ease, 

Rewind Time: <Click> Self Resurrection

-If you're defeated, you can rewind time to bring yourself back to your feet.

Temporal Phase: <Toggle - .65/End Sec> Self Intangible, +Regen (+500%)

-You can remove yourself from time, making you effectively invisible, giving you time to recover or even get away.  However, this is taxing and you can only maintain this state for 30 seconds.  While in this state you can't interact with others.  

I'm only guessing at the numbers given.  175% Regen is equal to Unenhanced RTTC on Scrappers with 7 targets.

Chrono Shift could be made a click and do +Recovery instead, but I liked the idea of a toggle and less clicks, but not totally clickless.  Could perhaps go without the End Drain Resist, but my reasoning was the Defender version has +Recovery in a click form and I didn't like the idea of +Recovery in a toggle.

Split Quickness and Lightning Reflexes' +RCH between two toggles, each of those toggles having other effects, so I kept the +Recharge at 20% total, like the previously mention passives.

With the -ToHit, I wasn't sure if the two Defense Toggles (Farsight and Cloak) should have any Defense Debuff Resistance.

Tried to keep the powers a bit like the time sets we have, with the idea going for Defense/Regen/Heal.  Could possibly add in Smashing and Lethal Resist, but then I figure the resistances would like be lower numbers and I thought the theme may do better with those 4 resists and lacking S/L Resist.

And...of course...I am by no means a balance expert.  This is just an idea of how to do a Temporal Energy Armor set.

Edit: Made a change, in seeing Quickness and Lightning Reflexes both have 40% Slow Resist and not the 20% I thought it was.

Edited by BrandX
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Another couple options I've suggested before is simply re-skinning Archery to be throwing knives, or Trick Arrow into throwing specialty grenades.

I think it's been discussed before that animation work on weapon sets is nigh impossible, which is why we still dont have any FX customisation at all for them.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I think it's been discussed before that animation work on weapon sets is nigh impossible, which is why we still dont have any FX customisation at all for them.

Even simply replacing animation A with animation B, when B already exists and is used elsewhere? 

41 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Yeah, weapons are a very difficult thing to work with, which is why the new weapon using Blaster secondaries were riddled with animation 

To be clear, I'm literally saying, "When using power 1, instead of animation X, use animation Y, complete with its already selected weapon design."  Just take the exact animation and weapon from Throwing Knives that Natural origin gets by default. 

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

To be clear, I'm literally saying, "When using power 1, instead of animation X, use animation Y, complete with its already selected weapon design."  Just take the exact animation and weapon from Throwing Knives that Natural origin gets by default. 

@Tyrannical, if its a mater of the new animation still holding the weapon, then making it invisible would alleviate the issue.

17 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

@Tyrannical, if its a mater of the new animation still holding the weapon, then making it invisible would alleviate the issue.

it really wouldn't. 

As I said above, having a weapon, even an invisible one, presents animation problems with animations not designed for weapons.

the easiest way to put it is weapon sets act as though you have an extra limb, if an animation does not take that limb into consideration, it causes major problems...

However, it does work the other way around, you can apply weapon animations to a non-weapon power. 😋

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

Right, but cant we swap an animation out for another? Adding a weapon to a non-weapon animation is easy for most since you just attach a model to the appropriate bone, clipping be damned 😛 

If you were to say, replace Whirling Sword's animation with Dragon's Tail from MA, if the sword is for whatever reason stuck to the model even with the swapped animation you could just hide it.

33 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Right, but cant we swap an animation out for another? Adding a weapon to a non-weapon animation is easy for most since you just attach a model to the appropriate bone, clipping be damned 😛 

If you were to say, replace Whirling Sword's animation with Dragon's Tail from MA, if the sword is for whatever reason stuck to the model even with the swapped animation you could just hide it.

The issue is it might cause the arm (or arms) supposed to be holding the weapon to act strangely, looking like its frozen or snapping into place rapidly.

What's worse is each weapon has a different animation rig (with a few exceptions like Staff/Titan or Sword/Axe/Mace), which also limits what animations they can undertake.

I believe that this same issue is why we dont have Shield Defense on Sentinels yet, since it causes a lot of similar animation bugs (some of which you can see using Psi Melee with Shield too).

So just to be clear, the animation issues affect the whole body, not just the weapon 😋

24 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I guess I dont understand. When a power activates and calls an animation to play, is it so baked in that you cannot just have it play a different animation ignoring the weapon / etc?

welcome to spaghetti, non-modular coding!!!

the animations CAN be changed, and some of the other servers have mashed stuff up, but it breaks, and from what I've seen doesn't meet HC's quality standards

• Thanks 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!