Safe Mode Client Discontinuation FAQ (READ THIS IF YOU USE SAFE MODE)

The Curator

Come on folks.  Help these guys help you!  Work the process, and in most cases, the problem can be solved. 

From what I've seen, most issues seem to be tied to how the game client was originally installed, or conflicts with drivers and other things running on users computers, as opposed to problems with the game client itself.  That means that they are helping you solve issues on your device, which is really generous of them.  They really want everyone to be able to play the game, but they need your feedback using the prescribed process to do it.

What was no more, is REBORN!

5 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Come on folks.  Help these guys help you!  Work the process, and in most cases, the problem can be solved. 

From what I've seen, most issues seem to be tied to how the game client was originally installed, or conflicts with drivers and other things running on users computers, as opposed to problems with the game client itself.  That means that they are helping you solve issues on your device, which is really generous of them.  They really want everyone to be able to play the game, but they need your feedback using the prescribed process to do it.

As someone who has worked in the industry (I was staff on Ultima Online for a while), it's never a good idea to try and claim the process is all, because software developers are often terrible at human resources skills, and if you don't know how to handle people then no matter how good your code is, you'll be unable to solve the problem because you don't know how to handle the interface between it and the real world applications of that code. 

I know you mean well, but the perfect example of where it can go wrong is I'd personally love to help, but the process described to me to help back on page 1 causes worse crashes and I'm still waiting on an explanation of how to avoid the patcher over-writing the changes. It's a bit insulting then to read your comments about how we the user somehow need to be more positive in helping.

So, the reason why you never blame the customer is not because they're perfect, or you have to be a slave to them, but rather that you can't drive away someone who has already decided to dislike you, but you can upset someone who was favourable towards you by a poor choice of words.

And whilst it's possible I have an edge case "on my device", but with PCs being entirely modular these days, writing code for multiple devices is to be expected, it's not a "generous" thing. That also misunderstands the way consumer reporting works; you'll never hear about most people's problems because most just don't bother chasing them. CoH's install base is also relatively small on top of that. But the issue can still be serious even if the pure data seems to be small; think of Bethesda declaring that the ability to steal someone's entire inventory, including real money purchased items, was only a limited bug that affected only a tiny majority of players. An absolutely catastrophic mis-representing of the actual severity of what the real issue was.

So... by all means encourage people to help more. But the answer to something going wrong is never to point the finger at the person suffering it.

• Thanks 2

The Devs didn't say it.  They likely never would.  But, I did.  And all I'm saying is the majority of problems that I have seen reported in the forums, seemed to lie in the computers running the game, as opposed to the game client.  And since I'm nobody, if someone wants to be mad a me for saying so, that's fine. But, folks have to realize the difference.  Using the system that the devs have established (rather than posting them in the forum threads) will help that happen, but the Devs can't be expected to solve every problem, on every computer running the game.  Some of them will be unsolvable.  By the same token, people can't expect the devs to change the game client because someone doesn't keep their computer up to date, or has other things running on their system that conflict with the game.  As you mentioned, the player base for this iteration of the game is not as large as it once was, or as big as other games out there.  But, the breadth of hardware, and operating systems that folks are using to play it with represents all 15 years that the game has existed.  That's a lot to support, and there will have to be a line drawn if there is ever to be a hope to move things forward. They will do their best to solve problems that can justifiably require changes to the client, but I suspect that more often than not, it will be a matter of troubleshooting a localized issue instead.

I want to see everyone who wants to play, be able to play, and obviously so do they.  But, the truth is, when they finally draw the line, and move off the decade+ legacy support, there will be some problems that just can't be solved, which, while regrettable, is inevitable.  They are bending over backwards to help, and that seems to get lost in the cacophony of reported problems.

Edited by Abraxus

1 hour ago, BovineAvenger said:

As someone who has worked in the industry (I was staff on Ultima Online for a while), it's never a good idea to try and claim the process is all, because software developers are often terrible at human resources skills, and if you don't know how to handle people then no matter how good your code is, you'll be unable to solve the problem because you don't know how to handle the interface between it and the real world applications of that code. 

I know you mean well, but the perfect example of where it can go wrong is I'd personally love to help, but the process described to me to help back on page 1 causes worse crashes and I'm still waiting on an explanation of how to avoid the patcher over-writing the changes. It's a bit insulting then to read your comments about how we the user somehow need to be more positive in helping.

So, the reason why you never blame the customer is not because they're perfect, or you have to be a slave to them, but rather that you can't drive away someone who has already decided to dislike you, but you can upset someone who was favourable towards you by a poor choice of words.

And whilst it's possible I have an edge case "on my device", but with PCs being entirely modular these days, writing code for multiple devices is to be expected, it's not a "generous" thing. That also misunderstands the way consumer reporting works; you'll never hear about most people's problems because most just don't bother chasing them. CoH's install base is also relatively small on top of that. But the issue can still be serious even if the pure data seems to be small; think of Bethesda declaring that the ability to steal someone's entire inventory, including real money purchased items, was only a limited bug that affected only a tiny majority of players. An absolutely catastrophic mis-representing of the actual severity of what the real issue was.

So... by all means encourage people to help more. But the answer to something going wrong is never to point the finger at the person suffering it.

Mind you the process described to you wasn't to fix your issue (I just went and re-read it) but to troubleshoot what was crashing the client for you. My other point is, how do you know the volunteers here are software developers? I'd also say their interpersonal skills shown here and on discord are significantly higher than community managers on most commercial games.

These people are trying to help you, and the others, give them the chance

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 8:40 PM, Hellwraith said:

Also unable to play without downloading the safe mode manifest.  I have the most current drivers for the GTX-590, but the card is old so I have always gotten the driver warnings when starting CoX, but it's a watercooled card and I don't have the 1k to replace it, unfortunately.  My OS is Windows 10-64 bit HE.

Under both 64-bit and 32-bit modes, I can get through picking a server, but when it switches to the character selection screen, it's just a gray window, Windows reports CoH stopped responding, and I have to force it closed.

Launching the application under administrator nor under safe mode help seems to make any difference. I was able to load to Pineapple, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having multiple pages of characters?

I have a GTX-580 and have this same issue.  I don't have multiple pages of characters (just one) so I don't think that is the issue.

13 minutes ago, mouze said:

I have a GTX-580 and have this same issue.  I don't have multiple pages of characters (just one) so I don't think that is the issue.

Be sure to report it using the system the Devs created for just that kind of thing.  It's the only way they can keep track of issues, and know if they are dealing with trends, or anomalies. 

On 1/12/2020 at 4:08 PM, Abraxus said:

Be sure to report it using the system the Devs created for just that kind of thing.  It's the only way they can keep track of issues, and know if they are dealing with trends, or anomalies. 

I apologise, I'm not familiar with this.  Do you mean just reporting it in this thread:

Sorry, don't want to repost there if that's not the right thing to do.  If there's a different process let me know!  Thank you!

Hmm... The only issue I've had with the game was the Steam Controller not working correctly.  I didn't even think to try safe mode and the responses I got from in-game queries was a combination of either "What's a steam controller?" or sarcastic remarks about trying to use new hardware on old programs.  Never mind the controller was specifically designed to work with old programs to give them controller capability.  Ah well, I'm going to search the forum again.  Maybe something's been posted about this elsewhere now.

And a big THANK YOU to the devs.  I used to code on MUDs and remember how much of my free time that took up.

Been using Safe Mode because because 64-bit did not work. Would get System Error That the program cannot start becasue MSVCP140.dll is missing. I been running now in 32-bit. Last night got a crash error "ntdll at relative address 0x22302

I use Window 7

1.JPG

2.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:41 PM, Killawatt said:

Been using Safe Mode because because 64-bit did not work. Would get System Error That the program cannot start becasue MSVCP140.dll is missing. I been running now in 32-bit. Last night got a crash error "ntdll at relative address 0x22302

I use Window 7

1.JPG

2.JPG

Plug the name of that DLL in the forum search and you'll find the answer in multiple places.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Okay I've tried everything I can think of to get it working for me under KUbuntu Linux 18.04.  I reinstalled my OS from scratch yesterday hoping a clean slate would help.  Installed the latest wine (5.0).  Downloaded the latest winetricks.  Still crashing on load.  Tried it with today's patch and I saw the crash reporter, that's nifty, but it looks like that crashed too.

~/.local/share/wineprefixes/CoX64/drive_c/Program Files/CoX/hc-bin64$ wine cityofheroes.exe -patchversion 20200121_679 -auth 51.79.19.146 -patchdir homecoming
002b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0xbd0000 0 0x22e360 4 stub
002b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0xce0000 0 0x22e360 4 stub
002b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0xe10000 0 0x22e360 4 stub
002b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0xf20000 0 0x22e360 4 stub
Running City of Heroes
preloading DLLs.. done                                                (0.01)
CityOfHeroes client count: 1
num cpus = 12 / 12
002b:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
loading message stores.. done.                                        (0.09)
ERRORLOG STARTING IGNORE:D_
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
auth 51.79.19.146
initializing hardware lights.. done                                   (0.00)
finalizing renderer initialization.. CPU: 3400 Mhz / Memory: 18074 MBs / Available Memory: 12489 MBs / OS Version: 6.1.7601 / 
Command Line Arguments: "City Of Heroes" "-patchversion" "20200121_679" "-auth" "51.79.19.146" "-patchdir" "homecoming" 
 / Video Device 0: NVIDIA-0, ID: PCI\VEN_0000&DEV_0000&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00, Flags: 0x00000005 (PRIMARY)Driver Date: Unknown / Video Memory: Unknown / VideoCardVendorID: 0x0 / VideoCardDeviceID: 0x0
OpenGL vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
Render settings: VBOS 1
Render path: NV1X NV2X NV3X NV4X ARBVP ARBFP GLSL DX10_CLASS 
Render features: WATER* BLOOM* TONEMAP* MULTITEX* MULTITEX_DUAL* HQBUMP* MULTITEX_HQBUMP* FPRENDER WATER_DEPTH* DOF* BUMPMAPS* BUMPMAPS_WORLD* DESATURATE* AMBIENT* CUBEMAP* SHADOWMAP* WATER_REFLECTIONS* 
Acceptable video card driver
Initializing fragment shaders...

Error loading shaders/cgfx/effects/outlinefp.cg
Shader Compilation failure in shaders/cgfx/effects/outlinefp.cg
Defines: 'DESATURATE NO_FPRENDER '

Error loading shaders/cgfx/effects/outlinefp.cg
Shader Compilation failure in shaders/cgfx/effects/outlinefp.cg
Defines: 'NO_FPRENDER '

Initializing vertex shaders...
Renderer initialization complete.
done                                                                  (3.17)
initializing background loader.. done                                 (0.00)
initializing background texWord renderer.. done                       (0.00)
initializing model groups.. done                                      (0.00)
caching relevant folders.. done                                       (0.00)
loading sounds.. done                                                 (0.02)
loading tricks.. done                                                 (0.18)
loading locale texWords.. done                                        (0.01)
loading texture headers.. 
  loading basic textures.. done (38988 total)                         (0.74)
  finding needed texture binds.. done                                 (0.00)
  creating composite textures.. done (38988 total)                    (0.03)
  creating trick textures.. done                                      (0.03)
  swapping in localized textures.. done                               (0.01)
  setting texture binds.. done                                        (0.70)
  done                                                                (1.51)
initializing particle engine.. done                                   (0.00)
initializing FX engine.. done                                         (0.00)
loading default textures.. 
  binding default textures.. done                                     (0.00)
  loading raw white texture data.. done                               (0.00)
  building default texture atlas.. done                               (0.00)
  done                                                                (0.01)
loading system font.. done                                            (0.00)
loading other fonts.. done                                            (0.12)
initializing fonts.. done                                             (0.00)
networking startup..                                                  (0.00)
loading group libraries.. 
  loading grouplibs.. done (3227 files, 72377 names)                  (0.07)
  done                                                                (0.07)
loading LOD info.. done                                               (0.04)
reloading models.. done                                               (0.04)
loading sequencers.. 
  loading cloth wind info.. done                                      (0.00)
  loading cloth collision info.. done                                 (0.00)
  preloading sequencer info.. done                                    (2.08)
  done                                                                (2.08)
loading message stores.. done                                         (0.00)
loading powers.. 
  loading all defs.. 
    loading attrib names.. done                                       (0.00)
    loading vision phase names.. done                                 (0.00)
    loading character origins.. done                                  (0.00)
    loading villain origins.. done                                    (0.00)
    loading badges.. ReadPascalString: string read too long for size
ReadPascalString: string read too long for size
ReadPascalString: couldn't read len
ParserReadBinaryTable: unexpected end of file
ParserReadBinaryFile: unexpected end of file
done                                             (0.99)
    loading supergroup badges.. ReadPascalString: string read too long for size
done                                  (0.87)
    loading misc.. done                                               (0.00)
    adding defines.. done                                             (0.00)
    loading power dictionary and boost sets.. ParserReadBinaryTable: datasum length not correct
ParserReadBinaryTable: datasum length not correct
002b:fixme:file:GetLongPathNameW UNC pathname L"\\\\?\\z:\\home\\soun\\.local\\share\\wineprefixes\\CoX64\\drive_c\\Program Files\\CoX\\hc-bin64\\CrashHandler.exe"
0035:fixme:msvcrt:_configure_wide_argv (1) stub
0035:fixme:msvcrt:_initialize_wide_environment stub
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0000000000000000 at address 00000001400A0105 (thread 0035), starting debugger...
0039:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 64-bit code (0x00000001400a0105).
Register dump:
 rip:00000001400a0105 rsp:000000000022f830 rbp:0000000000820f84 eflags:00010206 (  R- --  I   - -P- )
 rax:000000000000001e rbx:0000000000000000 rcx:0000000000000000 rdx:0000000000000000
 rsi:0000000000000074 rdi:00000000008220f8  r8:0000000000820f84  r9:0000000000000074 r10:000000000000009b
 r11:000000000000009b r12:0000000000000000 r13:00000001400bae80 r14:0000000000000000 r15:000000000022f998
Stack dump:
0x000000000022f830:  00000000008220f0 0000000100000000
0x000000000022f840:  000000000022fa28 00000001400a0d0e
0x000000000022f850:  0000000000000000 00000001400a0210
0x000000000022f860:  000000000022fa28 0000000000000000
0x000000000022f870:  0000000000820f84 0000000000000074
0x000000000022f880:  0000000000000003 00000001400a2faf
0x000000000022f890:  0000000000000074 00000000008220f0
0x000000000022f8a0:  0000000000000000 0000000000820f84
0x000000000022f8b0:  0000000000000000 0000000000000000
0x000000000022f8c0:  0000000000000000 0000000000018f00
0x000000000022f8d0:  0000000000000000 0000000000000000
0x000000000022f8e0:  0000000000000074 0000000000000000
Backtrace:
=>0 0x00000001400a0105 in crashhandler (+0xa0105) (0x0000000000820f84)
  1 0x00000001400a0210 in crashhandler (+0xa020f) (0x0000000000820f84)
  2 0x00000001400a2faf in crashhandler (+0xa2fae) (0x0000000000000000)
  3 0x000000014000210c in crashhandler (+0x210b) (0x000000000022fa99)
  4 0x000000014000184b in crashhandler (+0x184a) (0x000000000022fa99)
  5 0x00000001400ad092 in crashhandler (+0xad091) (0x000000000022ffd0)
  6 0x000000007b45950d __wine_start_process+0x3cc() in kernel32 (0x000000000022ffd0)
0x00000001400a0105: movzbl      (%rcx),%r10d
Modules:
Module  Address                                 Debug info      Name (92 modules)
PE                230000-          247000       Deferred        vcruntime140
PE                250000-          25e000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0
PE              61540000-        6154f000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0
PE              620c0000-        620cf000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-filesystem-l1-1-0
PE              62140000-        621dc000       Deferred        uxtheme
PE              62600000-        626ee000       Deferred        usp10
PE              62c40000-        62c51000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-multibyte-l1-1-0
PE              63140000-        63150000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0
PE              63800000-        6380f000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0
PE              64940000-        64988000       Deferred        shcore
PE              65000000-        655ab000       Deferred        ole32
PE              65780000-        6579f000       Deferred        version
PE              68a40000-        68b71000       Deferred        shlwapi
PE              69380000-        69390000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0
PE              69b80000-        69b8e000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-environment-l1-1-0
PE              6a4c0000-        6a4cf000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-utility-l1-1-0
PE              6a700000-        6a8d3000       Deferred        setupapi
PE              6bec0000-        6bf0c000       Deferred        imm32
PE              6d580000-        6d590000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0
PE              6dd80000-        6dd90000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0
PE              6e6c0000-        6eb53000       Deferred        comctl32
PE              6fbc0000-        6fdfc000       Deferred        rpcrt4
PE              70580000-        70591000       Deferred        api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0
PE              7b000000-        7b2f9000       Deferred        kernelbase
ELF             7b400000-        7b681000       Dwarf           kernel32<elf>
  \-PE          7b410000-        7b681000       \               kernel32
ELF             7bc00000-        7bed0000       Deferred        ntdll<elf>
  \-PE          7bc20000-        7bed0000       \               ntdll
ELF             7c000000-        7c004000       Deferred        <wine-loader>
PE             140000000-       14012b000       Export          crashhandler
ELF         7f4c54d1d000-    7f4c54f25000       Deferred        libffi.so.6
ELF         7f4c54f25000-    7f4c551a6000       Deferred        libgmp.so.10
ELF         7f4c551a6000-    7f4c553da000       Deferred        libhogweed.so.4
ELF         7f4c553da000-    7f4c55610000       Deferred        libnettle.so.6
ELF         7f4c55610000-    7f4c55823000       Deferred        libtasn1.so.6
ELF         7f4c55823000-    7f4c55ba1000       Deferred        libunistring.so.2
ELF         7f4c55ba1000-    7f4c55dbe000       Deferred        libidn2.so.0
ELF         7f4c55dbe000-    7f4c560ed000       Deferred        libp11-kit.so.0
ELF         7f4c560ed000-    7f4c56452000       Deferred        libgnutls.so.30
ELF         7f4c5647a000-    7f4c56680000       Deferred        libxfixes.so.3
ELF         7f4c56680000-    7f4c5688a000       Deferred        libxcursor.so.1
ELF         7f4c5688a000-    7f4c56a9a000       Deferred        libxi.so.6
ELF         7f4c56a9a000-    7f4c56c9d000       Deferred        libxcomposite.so.1
ELF         7f4c56c9d000-    7f4c56ea8000       Deferred        libxrandr.so.2
ELF         7f4c56ea8000-    7f4c570b2000       Deferred        libxrender.so.1
ELF         7f4c570b2000-    7f4c572b8000       Deferred        libxxf86vm.so.1
ELF         7f4c572b8000-    7f4c574bb000       Deferred        libxinerama.so.1
ELF         7f4c574bb000-    7f4c576c3000       Deferred        librt.so.1
ELF         7f4c576c3000-    7f4c578d8000       Deferred        libbsd.so.0
ELF         7f4c578d8000-    7f4c57ade000       Deferred        libxdmcp.so.6
ELF         7f4c57ade000-    7f4c57ce2000       Deferred        libxau.so.6
ELF         7f4c57ce2000-    7f4c57f0a000       Deferred        libxcb.so.1
ELF         7f4c57f0a000-    7f4c58242000       Deferred        libx11.so.6
ELF         7f4c58242000-    7f4c58454000       Deferred        libxext.so.6
ELF         7f4c5847c000-    7f4c58542000       Deferred        winex11<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c58490000-    7f4c58542000       \               winex11
ELF         7f4c5860d000-    7f4c5883f000       Deferred        libexpat.so.1
ELF         7f4c5883f000-    7f4c58a84000       Deferred        libfontconfig.so.1
ELF         7f4c58a84000-    7f4c58cb6000       Deferred        libpng16.so.16
ELF         7f4c58cb6000-    7f4c58f6a000       Deferred        libfreetype.so.6
ELF         7f4c58f92000-    7f4c58fd3000       Deferred        ws2_32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c58fa0000-    7f4c58fd3000       \               ws2_32
ELF         7f4c58fd3000-    7f4c59107000       Deferred        ucrtbase<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c59000000-    7f4c59107000       \               ucrtbase
ELF         7f4c59107000-    7f4c59213000       Deferred        crypt32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c59110000-    7f4c59213000       \               crypt32
ELF         7f4c59213000-    7f4c59430000       Deferred        libz.so.1
ELF         7f4c59430000-    7f4c594bc000       Deferred        dbghelp<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c59440000-    7f4c594bc000       \               dbghelp
ELF         7f4c594bc000-    7f4c59f02000       Deferred        shell32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c594e0000-    7f4c59f02000       \               shell32
ELF         7f4c59f02000-    7f4c59fea000       Deferred        msvcrt<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c59f20000-    7f4c59fea000       \               msvcrt
ELF         7f4c59fea000-    7f4c5a081000       Deferred        advapi32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c5a000000-    7f4c5a081000       \               advapi32
ELF         7f4c5a081000-    7f4c5a22e000       Deferred        gdi32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c5a0a0000-    7f4c5a22e000       \               gdi32
ELF         7f4c5a32e000-    7f4c5a5bc000       Deferred        user32<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c5a350000-    7f4c5a5bc000       \               user32
ELF         7f4c5a6bc000-    7f4c5a8ce000       Deferred        libnss_files.so.2
ELF         7f4c5a8ce000-    7f4c5aae8000       Deferred        libnsl.so.1
ELF         7f4c5aae8000-    7f4c5acf4000       Deferred        libnss_nis.so.2
ELF         7f4c5acf4000-    7f4c5aefe000       Deferred        libnss_compat.so.2
ELF         7f4c5b3dc000-    7f4c5b5f4000       Deferred        libgcc_s.so.1
ELF         7f4c5b5f4000-    7f4c5b992000       Deferred        libm.so.6
ELF         7f4c5b994000-    7f4c5bb98000       Deferred        libdl.so.2
ELF         7f4c5bb98000-    7f4c5bf89000       Deferred        libc.so.6
ELF         7f4c5bf89000-    7f4c5c1a8000       Deferred        libpthread.so.0
ELF         7f4c5c1aa000-    7f4c5c1d0000       Deferred        bcrypt<elf>
  \-PE      7f4c5c1b0000-    7f4c5c1d0000       \               bcrypt
ELF         7f4c5c1d0000-    7f4c5c571000       Dwarf           libwine.so.1
ELF         7f4c5c573000-    7f4c5c79d000       Deferred        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Threads:
process  tid      prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000e services.exe
        00000023    0
        0000001a    0
        00000013    0
        00000010    0
        0000000f    0
00000011 plugplay.exe
        00000017    0
        00000016    0
        00000012    0
00000018 winedevice.exe
        00000020    0
        0000001d    0
        0000001c    0
        0000001b    0
        00000019    0
0000001e explorer.exe
        00000029    0
        00000028    0
        00000027    0
        0000001f    0
00000021 winedevice.exe
        00000026    0
        00000025    0
        00000024    0
        00000022    0
0000002a cityofheroes.exe
        00000037    0
        00000033   15
        00000032   15
        00000031    0
        00000030   15
        0000002f    0
        0000002e    0
        0000002d    0
        0000002b    0
00000034 (D) z:\home\soun\.local\share\wineprefixes\CoX64\drive_c\Program Files\CoX\hc-bin64\CrashHandler.exe
        0000003a    0
        00000036    0
        00000035    0 <==
System information:
    Wine build: wine-5.0
    Platform: x86_64
    Version: Windows 7
    Host system: Linux
    Host version: 5.3.0-26-generic

It's not exactly the same when I run the 32-bit version, but similar.  Instead it stops here (skipped the crash reporter this time):

loading powers.. 
  loading all defs.. 
    loading attrib names.. done                                       (0.00)
    loading vision phase names.. done                                 (0.00)
    loading character origins.. done                                  (0.00)
    loading villain origins.. done                                    (0.00)
    loading badges.. 0009:fixme:file:GetLongPathNameW UNC pathname L"\\\\?\\z:\\home\\soun\\.local\\share\\wineprefixes\\test1\\drive_c\\Program Files\\CoX\\hc-bin32\\CrashHandler.exe"
0035:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xcffefc (nil)): stub

• City Council

Are you sure that whatever you're using to download updates is working correctly? Both of those outputs show that it's missing the homecoming-specific patch files. They should be in a "homecoming" directory under ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/test1/drive_c/Program\ Files/CoX

Crash on "Loading badges" (and the missing cgfx files) are both a dead giveaway that patch piggs are not being loaded.

Edit: Just thought of it: Using a relative -patchdir like that is sensitive to the current directory. So try running it from one level up:

~/.local/share/wineprefixes/CoX64/drive_c/Program Files/CoX$ wine hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe -patchversion 20200121_679 -auth 51.79.19.146 -patchdir homecoming

48 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Are you sure that whatever you're using to download updates is working correctly? Both of those outputs show that it's missing the homecoming-specific patch files. They should be in a "homecoming" directory under ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/test1/drive_c/Program\ Files/CoX

Crash on "Loading badges" (and the missing cgfx files) are both a dead giveaway that patch piggs are not being loaded.

Edit: Just thought of it: Using a relative -patchdir like that is sensitive to the current directory. So try running it from one level up:

~/.local/share/wineprefixes/CoX64/drive_c/Program Files/CoX$ wine hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe -patchversion 20200121_679 -auth 51.79.19.146 -patchdir homecoming

OH MY GOD IT WORKED!!!  Thank you so much!  I've been beating my head against a wall for days trying to get this working and I can't believe I ended up missing something so simple.  I don't care at this point.  It's hard to believe the game is actually running not in safe mode.  I was starting to think it was time to make my peace with walking away.  Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  😍

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:50 PM, GM Conviction said:

Hi Blyzzard,

What you are describing generally is a result of actions being taken by anti-virus software due to a false positive detection. Since that is the case, the first thing I would try is whitelisting the directory where you have COH saved within the anti-virus software. How this is done is different for each of them so, I would refer you to that program’s documentation.

I'm not very tech savvy. How do I do this?  

EDIT!! Nevermind! Fixed it. P.I.C.N.I.C.  😛

Edited by SyphonFilter

• Jimmy featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later

I have to use Safe Mode because there seems to be a lack of controller support. I play with a Dual Shock 4 doesn't work in 32 or 64-bit modes -- game does not respond to controller at all in those modes.  Worked fine before the client split, but since then I've only been able to use Safe Mode.

• Lead Game Master
28 minutes ago, SuburbanHell said:

I have to use Safe Mode because there seems to be a lack of controller support. I play with a Dual Shock 4 doesn't work in 32 or 64-bit modes -- game does not respond to controller at all in those modes.  Worked fine before the client split, but since then I've only been able to use Safe Mode.

You may need to open up your Options menu, select the Controls tab, and toggle through the "Device" option under the "Game Controller" section to let the game accept it as a form of input. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interested in supporting Homecoming? Consider applying to become a Game Master!

11 minutes ago, GM Korvin said:

You may need to open up your Options menu, select the Controls tab, and toggle through the "Device" option under the "Game Controller" section to let the game accept it as a form of input. Hope this helps!

Helped quite a bit - Took me several minutes of messing with the keymapping to get the world to stop spinning but it works now, thanks!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later

This should probably be bumped and more avenues of announcement should probably be employed around now.  I saw in the Beta forums that Safe Mode's days are coming to an end with Page 5.  If that's true, then I really think a strong campaign should be made to reach those last few hold outs and help them get on to the newer clients.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

This should probably be bumped and more avenues of announcement should probably be employed around now.  I saw in the Beta forums that Safe Mode's days are coming to an end with Page 5.  If that's true, then I really think a strong campaign should be made to reach those last few hold outs and help them get on to the newer clients.

Absolutely!  I figure no matter what you do, there will be a few who will attempt to login after the patch goes live, and go into panic mode when they can no longer find safe mode as a choice on their menu.  But, every effort should be made to get the word out via every communication means available.  Specific announcements on Discord, and a specific announcement on the forum as well.  If there is a FB group, Instagram, Twitter...whatever.  Let's spread the word to minimize the issue ahead of time.  It's going to be hectic enough just sorting through legitimate issues with the changes themselves.  The Devs don't need to be spending inordinate amounts of time solving safe-mode issues as well, which had ample opportunity to be resolved long before that day, had the folks with the problem heard.  I know most of us get the majority of our information from here, and Discord, but not everybody pays attention to those regularly.  Those are the folks who will be caught unaware on go-live day.

Please encourage folks who know they are using safe mode to try moving off, and if they still have problems, to submit a ticket.  It's a rare chance to be proactive!

Edited by Abraxus

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The safe mode client does actually have an annoying popup already 🙂

And there's been a warning and a link on the Tequila home screen for...  at least a month now?

At some point, you just have to say "anyone who didn't get the message...  well there's nothing to be done about that".

Screenshot (178).png

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I saw the one in Tequila, but it doesn't really "POP," so I could see plenty of players not noticing it.
The actual pop-up for the Safe Mode Client, however; yeah.  That's pretty blatant.

A countdown timer might still be helpful, though.  I had a colleague publish a minor paper on the significant impact of countdown timers in games.  I'll take a looksie on my old portable harddrive next time I plug it in if anyone wants a copy.  Pretty compelling stuff.