A big list of low priority bugs

Night

I figured I'd put together a list of minor, low priority bugs that have been in the game for ages. They usually have easy an workaround or are not worth thinking of but nonetheless exist, so here goes. I'll try to update this as I remember more.

Where's the music gone?

When entering a new neighborhood in a zone, the previous neighborhood's soundtrack continues to play. Back in the day it used to change to the new soundtrack as you entered the new area, cutting off the currently playing one, allowing you to jump between parts of a zone and hear the tracks. This bug was fixed once on live, then came back, then was fixed again and came back once more, then was forgotten.

Up up and aaaaah!

Seemingly at random, the Jump Pack and Steam Jump powers will become greyed out and unclickable after a single use until you change zones. They'll work normally, then go on cooldown and when recharged remain greyed out and unavailable until you relog or zone, I don't know why that is.

Doors doors doors!

Various interactable doors become unclickable while they're open, preventing you from going through an open door. The workaround is to click the doorframe, it works on most doors. Tram doors sometimes are unclickable when they're open, sometimes they are, it's a coin flip on them and in this case it is another bug that came and went multiple times over the game's lifespan.

Doors doors doors! Part 2

When approaching a door, tram or otherwise, often you'll have to click twice for the game to register you clicking it, even with good connection. It might have something to do with using flight, but happens when approaching a door and clicking it quickly even with just sprint on. It happens often but not always, and sometimes I end up relying on the fact that I'll have to click the tram door twice to get the popup, but then bug fails and I just go to a random zone my mouse was over when I double clicked the door to quickly bypass the bug and get the popup :classic_tongue:

Toggle animation mismatch

Various toggles, most notably AoE buff ones such as Shadow Fall, Steamy Mist, Arctic Fog, will permanently put you in the ready-to-fight passive animation on everyone's screen except your own, where you'll return to the idle animation cycle after pressing escape or waiting a while, causing a mismatch between you and how everyone else sees you. You might think you're stood with arms crossed but to everyone else you're there ready for combat, quite annoying for group photo situations or thinking you're seen in a way others don't see you in.

What katana?

This one's probably the biggest of the list as the Katana weapons, mainly from the Blaster secondary Ninja Training are invisible to everyone but you. So you're swinging around nothing in your hands and nobody can see the sword you hold.

My origin in thus

When copy-pasting a chuck of pre-written text into your bio, then trying to edit it or continue writing, you'll often end up either typing at the start of the text block, in a random spot in middle or your text will not show up at all despite typing. The bio box does not like paste-editing at all and the best way is to either write the entire bio in one go or paste the whole thing once pre-written fully and hope for the best, and even then editing it to just add line breaks can be a pain as the bio box might not display the changes you make.

Ghost skeleton

The ghost skeleton in the north-west corner of St. Martial, that's meant to appear (and even has an exploration badge tied to it, Dead Man's Tree), does not appear anymore at all. It's meant to show a hanged skeleton dangling off a tree, and when you get closer it disappears, but now it's just permanently gone it seems. [It seems to be tied to visscale and world detail setting, and the increasing power of modern systems. If you set your visscale to 2 or lower, the skeleton is once more visible, and disappears when you get close as it should. The lower the visscale, the closer you can get before it disappears]

Landing on your back

Back in the day when you got knocked back and died from it, you remained on your back, defeated, it was a second 'unconscious' animation when you fell in battle. It was removed or bugged so it no longer happens for some reason, so now when you get defeated by, say, an explosion that tosses you back, you land on your back, hop to your feet only to collapse forward. Strangely enough NPCs still retain that animation in cases where they die from a knockback power and the ragdoll effect does not trigger, it works even today.

Dead on your feet

Sometimes enemies you defeat instantly, usually when one-shotting lowbies as a lvl 50, the mob will not play any animation, or seem like they got hit at all, remain standing there with 0 health. Sometimes it even stands there looping through it's passive animation of looking around even though it's been defeated.

Stiff signs

The PPD (as well as some others?) hanging signs outside police stations used to have swinging physics on them, as some other banners still do, but they no longer swing and are solid objects, making it unfun to jump or fly into them to make them swing madly only to get stopped on the spot by their immovable might.

Power color change influence scam

When you change your power colors, then save them sand begin swapping between your costume slots to apply those new colors to the rest of your costumes, it will read that the change cost is 0, despite it not being 0, and if you apply the power colors, then go to the powers section, the UI will update to display the actual cost.

Triple moon

Sometimes in the night sky, and often in SG bases with an open sky, the moon will have a smaller moon inside of it, and an even smaller one inside of that one. It's probably just a texture overlap where the game isn't sure which moon size it should use.

Dude, where's my shield?

The Rikti Mothership force field will often disappear, unrender itself despite it still being very much up and very much run-into-able.

I am the gang

The Thugs Mastermind tier 2 pet, Call Enforcer, is named "Enforcers" each when they're summoned, instead of a single Enforcer being named "Enforcer" https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Thugs#Call_Enforcer

No enemy don't go!

Pet summons which rely on an enemy are an unfinished bane. Warshade's Dark Extraction will begin the animation, go on cooldown, but fail to summon the pet if your target defeated enemy fades away due to despawning, resulting in a wasted power. Darkness Control's Haunt will trigger its animation and go on cooldown, but if your target gets defeated as you're casting it, then no pets will be summoned and it's a wasted use as well. Uncertain on if Mastermind Gang War also stops spawning pets once the target dies.

When? For how much?!

Often in the Auction House, when you're looking at items to buy, the 'last sold' price will often not display until after a few attempts, or worse, it will display and then disappear, the 'last sold' window clearing out, stating "No History Available".

Where am I?

Some of the outdoor maps, in particular the valley map from ITF, but also some others like the Nemesis Shadow Shard base, the minimap starts you off at a wrong place and sometimes off the playable area, and as you go further into the map you can watch your arrow fly off the map only to teleport to the correct spot you're at.

Here's my gun and-

When pulling out the Crey CBX-9 Pistol, or Heavy Pistol temp power (click power without a target) while floating in air, you get frozen in animation until you move or the weapon gets automatically put away after some time. Seems to be tied to the specific animation of pulling out a one-handed gun.

Stack and float

When selling inspirations to a vendor, if you only sell some and leave the others, they will remain where they were in your inspiration tray, floating with empty boxes under them until you interact with your inspirations in any way.

image.png.7db9613bce18e9768437845cda97b4aa.png

Magical fireplace

In the winter chalet, the main building, the fireplace's light seems to be coming from the bar instead of the fireplace itself, resulting in an odd visual of standing before the fire pit and the side facing the fire being dark.

screenshot_200217-14-20-19.thumb.jpg.53ae30349d43d71a7c08291b9b058970.jpg

Lighting textures gone walksies

In Ouroboros, the two Pillars of Ice and Flame at the back of the massive one seem to completely lack the lighting effect that the others have, their pedestals looking oddly unfitting. A picture of the two pillars with the textured one further back:

screenshot_200217-14-22-17.thumb.jpg.8d793038c972bec61c09dcf8b86b133b.jpg

The dot

When using individual name colors in chat (and really, why wouldn't you) when it pops up in any channel, the bottom dot of the colon which follows a player name in the chatbox is the same color as the player's individual name, while the upper dot is the color of the chat text. Although I'd advise against trying to fix something so minor as the spaghetti code could cause name colors to completely stop working. Or somehow break warshades, again.

561507653_THEDOT.jpg.843111f19217fac83062be8fc13428e1.jpg

A spot of grey

Embalmed Cadaver from the Vahzilok maxes out at around level 11, but the enemy continues to rarely show up as a spawn throughout the various story arcs the villain group features in. The same happens to one enemy from 5th Column/Council but I can't remember which specific one. It's probably something to do with the enemy not having a higher level equivalent coded in, or a trigger to not show up as both enemies are replaced by stronger variants, Embalmed Abomination in the case of Vahzilok.

One way wall

In studio 55, the wall upstairs by the bar in a one way one, as in it lacks the wall textures when looking at it from the bar-side, but shows up as a solid wall when looking at it from the dancefloor-side.

screenshot_200303-16-10-05.thumb.jpg.ec6b6ff47341a443dcb7bccab835641a.jpg

screenshot_200303-16-10-15.thumb.jpg.120b4e93e5584ab4d881138d927eff5b.jpg

I'll wear it this way

The Gunslinger 2 belt floats awkwardly a fair distance up and away from the body on a female character model when wearing a jacket.

1070838809_floatingbelt.thumb.jpg.87aa0d4a289b8b2f7a0fae1f0fae0a1d.jpg

What event where?!

When swapping alignments between hero/vigilante and villain/rogue, the Hero Zone Alerts and Villain Zone Alerts get automatically removed from your chat tabs, Hero ones disappearing when swapping to villain/rogue and vice versa.

I don't wanna PvP now!

If while on a TF, you're in a mixed-alignment team and you accidentally click on the wrong helicopter and end up in a PvP zone, the game automatically boots you out of the team, with no warning or a confirmation box, and you're unable to continue the TF. Less painful when it's a simple team since you can be reinvited, but it ruins the TF run.

It's a savage world out there

Savage Melee seems to have it's sound effects skewed oddly, in that you can hear someone's attacks hitting enemies even while you're all the way on the other end of the mission map

Fences won't stop me!

When using super speed, if your speed is really high, you may sometimes phase right through a chainlink fence or even a wooden fence. This may be tied to your run speed, and somehow I had more luck replicating this while running backwards. This is not a bad bug, more of a fun glitch that does NOT need fixing, it's just fun :classic_tongue:

Multitasker extraordinaire

When executing attacks, especially longer animation ones, you can quickly press escape and click the next power twice (first to target the enemy before you and second to actually attack) to start the animation on it early and skip the 'pulling weapon out' part of it. Very useful when playing at low levels, or an AT with low damage, to chain Sands of Mu with Nemesis Staff with Blackwand and you can pull out the weapon and attack even while the Sands of Mu animation is still playing, or fire off a Blackwand while Nemesis Staff is still swinging to fire off or vice versa. Small bug but handy.

Continued in further posts

Edited by Night
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where's the music gone? - Ah, noticed this in Steel Canyon the other day, whey I flew into Blyde Square and the music didn't switch to that blues guitar thing.

Doors doors doors! Part 2 - I think the issue here is clicking before your character has come to a full stop/rest. Obviously more common if you're flying, but I encounter this all the time with doors inside missions, and also when clicking on glowies. Imagine hitting the brakes in your car; forward progress is halted, but then you get that backwards rocking motion as the car settles back. Same thing happening here, more or less. It's just that, with glowies in a mission, you'll get the "You were interrupted" message in the chat window; you don't get that message for doors. If you're on foot, rather than flying/hovering, and your volume is high enough, when you come to a stop you can hear your final footstop, a bit softer than the rest. You have to click after that last footstep; before that, you're technically still moving.

My origin in thus - The text box for entering your bio badly needs a scroll bar.

Triple moon - Booby Moon!

1173740906_CityofHeroesScreenshot2020_01.27-20_38_13.36(2).png.9c548f37e43eef717ba912150d520529.png

Fences won't stop me! - A while back, in Skyway, I watched a crowd of panicking civilians charge straight through the brick wall around a park to get away from some nearby Trolls 😄

Edited by RikOz

• Community Rep

Ah, I was going to report the Katana invisibility bug, but I see it's here. One note to that: it IS visible during animation, just not when it's just being held after the animation is finished.

-Dacy

On 2/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, Night said:

Dead on your feet

Sometimes enemies you defeat instantly, usually when one-shotting lowbies as a lvl 50, the mob will not play any animation, or seem like they got hit at all, remain standing there with 0 health. Sometimes it even stands there looping through it's passive animation of looking around even though it's been defeated.

this is a bug with any game like coh. its the fact that you one shoted your target so quickly that the game cant keep up. so while technally dead the game sees the defeated target as alive. but because its dead it will only do its passive animation.  its actually kind of creepy. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:23 PM, Night said:

Doors doors doors! Part 2

When approaching a door, tram or otherwise, often you'll have to click twice for the game to register you clicking it, even with good connection. It might have something to do with using flight, but happens when approaching a door and clicking it quickly even with just sprint on. It happens often but not always, and sometimes I end up relying on the fact that I'll have to click the tram door twice to get the popup, but then bug fails and I just go to a random zone my mouse was over when I double clicked the door to quickly bypass the bug and get the popup :classic_tongue:

It *always* happens to me and sometimes have to triple click it (hello, cimemoran ships' doors that you cannot interact with when they're open). My mouse hate me but i took the habit of clicking at least 5 times on any door or glowie. Only NPCs - dead or alive - don't have this issue.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, Dragonssong43 said:

this is a bug with any game like coh. its the fact that you one shoted your target so quickly that the game cant keep up. so while technally dead the game sees the defeated target as alive. but because its dead it will only do its passive animation.  its actually kind of creepy. 

I have noticed this in particular with Council bad guys, notably War Wolves. Weird when one is standing there and I can't target them, then they fade away.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, Night said:

Ghost skeleton

The ghost skeleton in the north-west corner of St. Martial, that's meant to appear (and even has an exploration badge tied to it, Dead Man's Tree), does not appear anymore at all. It's meant to show a hanged skeleton dangling off a tree, and when you get closer it disappears, but now it's just permanently gone it seems.

There are 2 things going on here:

1. The trick they use to make the skeleton disappear is affected by your graphics settings.  The skeleton doesn't have a high detail LOD, so when you get close enough for it to switch to its best model, it disappears instead.  Higher graphics settings means it will make this switch farther away, perhaps so far away you can't reasonably see the object before it disappears.  This is why people have erroneously reported that the ghosts in Echo: Dark Astoria are missing.
  2. The skeleton is not placed properly and is now at the base of the tree, making it harder to see from farther away.  This is the real bug.

Here's a couple of shots of the skeleton at the point it disappears:

GhostSkeleton.jpg.8b6a3a2f2de791ee00446ef8fec25445.jpg

Edited by The Bobby Llama
Forgot to describe screenshots.
  • Like 1

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

Since we are compiling minor bugs it's super common for me to start typing and not capitalize the very first word of the phrase, so I backtrack to erase it and it will eat the next space. So something like:

'i want to go to Talos'

turns into

'Iwant to go to Talos.'

It's so minor I would never have mentioned it were this not a compilation of minor bugs.

18 hours ago, The Bobby Llama said:

There are 2 things going on here:

1. The trick they use to make the skeleton disappear is affected by your graphics settings.  The skeleton doesn't have a high detail LOD, so when you get close enough for it to switch to its best model, it disappears instead.  Higher graphics settings means it will make this switch farther away, perhaps so far away you can't reasonably see the object before it disappears.  This is why people have erroneously reported that the ghosts in Echo: Dark Astoria are missing.
  2. The skeleton is not placed properly and is now at the base of the tree, making it harder to see from farther away.  This is the real bug.

Here's a couple of shots of the skeleton at the point it disappears:

GhostSkeleton.jpg.8b6a3a2f2de791ee00446ef8fec25445.jpg

Curious, nice figuring out. I'll still say there's a bug somewhere in there cause it should still be appearing closer than when your camera's almost at the cliffside, it should give a chance to notice it better and I'm certain it used to in the past 🤔

I dunno if this is true for everyone, but in Pocket D, Turndown Girl's line always appears in "NPC dialog" _before_ Desperate Guy's line.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

2 hours ago, thunderforce said:

I dunno if this is true for everyone, but in Pocket D, Turndown Girl's line always appears in "NPC dialog" _before_ Desperate Guy's line.

I've noticed that his happens pretty consistently everywhere. I see it all the time in missions, when the NPCs in there are having a conversation.

It actually reminds me a bit of something in WoW. There are addons that will automatically post a "congratulations" message to guild chat when somebody in the guild earns an achievement. I've seen guildmates insist that they're actually typing the message and not using an addon, but their fib is exposed when I earn an achievement and their "congrats" message hits my chat box before my own notification appears 😄

• 7 months later
On 4/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, Nyx Nought Nothing said:

Another minor bug is that the Peacebringer version of Hover, Combat Flight, uses the Fly animations instead of the hover animations. It's also a long-standing bug from live, so not holding my breath on this one.

Was going to post this but I see it has already been mentioned. 👍

• 2 weeks later

Another on the "Cool, do not fix!" list:

Using Danger Sense (Ninjustu) or Focused Senses (Super Reflexes), or anything toggle which uses the 'look left, look right' animation while flying in air, sometimes having to need to be in-combat-stance first, you'll do the animation for Dragon's Tail from Martial Arts instead, and it's fun to click and detoggle and repeat to spinspinspin yourself!

• Like 2

• 4 months later