Patch Notes for February 25th, 2020 (Issue 26, Page 5 - Build 1)

The Curator

7 minutes ago, Tater Todd said:

Dark Consumption and Soul Drain were meant to be AOE in Dark Melee all along.  It's just that Dark Consumption was lacking a great deal and wasn't even up to snuff when the set first came out.  A lot of the early sets were made by feel and not function because at the time that was not the focus of the Dev team at the time.  I think of these changes as making the set perform in the way it was intended all along.

When it came out there were not very many sets with +end capabilities and none that you could have from your primary.  You were almost forced into dark/dark because dark melee could help with thirsty dark armor.

The sets intention was clearly as a utility and survivability boost.  Just look at the powers available and you can see it’s intention was never aoe.  The original devs valued diversity and roles.  Current dark melee is the best at its role.  

The most recent sets like bio and Titan weapons are overturned because they were new and behind pay walls.  That’s good business to make your fresh item more powerful, but I am sure they would have been reigned in once their sales started to come down.  As they did with pretty much every new thing they released.  

Guardian survivor

25 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Rather than highlighted I think you could say the tanker changes exacerbated or created more of the issues.  Another reason the aoe buffs to tanks was the wrong direction to take them.  The buffs are fun, but a buff that requires a buff that requires another buff is not good.  It accelerates inflation.  City of More Damage.  

Hard disagree.  CP made it clear that those sets left behind would get individual treatment.

It's not "buffs requiring buffs." It's "incremental improvements, which paves the way for updating sets for other ATs as well."

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

When it came out there were not very many sets with +end capabilities and none that you could have from your primary.  You were almost forced into dark/dark because dark melee could help with thirsty dark armor.

The sets intention was clearly as a utility and survivability boost.  Just look at the powers available and you can see it’s intention was never aoe.  The original devs valued diversity and roles.  Current dark melee is the best at its role. 

I understand that but if that's the case why does the power deal damage if they wanted to focus on purely on utility and not help with DM's low AOE damage?  Powers like Frozen Aura and Fault (which to this day still doesn't deal damage) didn't/don't deal damage and they were early sets as well.  It doesn't seem like a consistent choice or focus.  Dark Consumption dealing damage is misleading and makes one think that it was meant to help with AOE damage especially after you are buffed from Soul Drain.

Edited by Tater Todd

• Developer
52 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Have people really asked for more aoe in energy melee to fix its issues?   I dont read all of the posts but the last time I looked at one of those threads the majority would be happy with energy transfer just going back to its original animation and values.  

Energy Melee complaints can be summarized in two points:

• Anemic AoE
  • Extremely slow animations

Different people might focus on one or the other, but both are big issues overall.

• Like 6

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

14 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

The complaints about Shock Therapy's name being offensive just strike me as people trying to be offended.

Change the name if you think of a better one, but don't let the outrage mob force your hand.

I suggest you educate yourself on the utterly disgusting practice of electroshock therapy, for ANY purposes.  Your comments are extremely ignorant, and frankly hurtful.

Just now, Murcielago said:

As an african american, I am offended by the name Dark Consumption, I would prefer it were called African American Consumption. this is a joke

Do you find it funny when people mock and ridicule complaints about racism?  If not, then why would you do the same for this?

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I suggest you educate yourself on the utterly disgusting practice of electroshock therapy, for ANY purposes.  Your comments are extremely ignorant, and frankly hurtful.

Electroshock therapy is insane mad-science nonsense in real life, sure, but it's also not just used for the LBGT thing, it's a last-resort procedure overall with a vast array of applications of (questionable) value.

That being said, just because the IRL practice was used with deplorable pseudo-science, doesn't really give you license to come here and make these ridiculous accusations at the dev team.

What's next, fire armor offending burn victims? Radiation armor offending cancer victims? Give me a break, it's totally harmless.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

It seems like it has some uses for a last resort treatment for severe depression. ECT does have a large amount of stigma attached to it because of its past uses though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come on folks.  Let's not read RL issues into the game, and come to verbal blows over them.  This is a 15 year old game, and many of these sets were already named by the original Devs, and being completed by the current team.  There is no offense intended here, and this is where we come to escape this kind of thing in the real world.  Yes?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

9 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Do you find it funny when people mock and ridicule complaints about racism?  If not, then why would you do the same for this?

I do find them funny actually, I realize that words are just words and they only hold power if you let them and rarely if ever take offense to anyone ridiculing me for my race/gender/beliefs/etc...

• Like 3

Just now, Abraxus said:

Come on folks.  Let's not read RL issues into the game, and come to verbal blows over them.  This is a 15 year old game, and many of these sets were already named by the original Devs, and being completed by the current team.  There is no offense intended here, and this is where we come to escape this kind of thing in the real world.  Yes?

I am offended that you're telling me to not get offended by this. jk

There are enough criticisms about the name that righteous fury isn't really necessary. A name change seems pretty likely, but if it sticks, just imagine it was a villainous powerset similar to how villains didn't get Empathy originally. Instead they got a different, more aggressive variation called Pain Domination, to be extra eeeevil.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Abraxus said:

It isn't about offense. I'm not offended by the name. The name is a reminder of a deeply unpleasant history and present for some. Yes, we come to the game to escape all the real world crap, so let's not bring more real world crap into the game when it doesn't have to be.

• Like 1

I'll say this though, there is a stronger argument for not changing the name that no one has cited:

The CONCEPT of the set is still Shock Therapy even if the name gets changed.

And although I clearly agree the name should be changed, I'm totally fine with the concept of the set, so I don't know what...lol

• City Council

Please remain civil when commenting on the viewpoints of others or we’ll need to start handing out warnings.

Please also stick to the correct threads - Shock Therapy feedback goes in the Shock Therapy thread. General feedback about this patch goes in this thread. Unrelated suggestions go in the suggestions forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

Hard disagree.  CP made it clear that those sets left behind would get individual treatment.

It's not "buffs requiring buffs." It's "incremental improvements, which paves the way for updating sets for other ATs as well."

Uh... just because you use different words doesn’t make the outcome any different.  Pro choice is still pro abortion.  Changing the word only makes it more palatable and therefore more acceptable to the masses.  Literally pulling the wool over their eyes.  Incremental increases that lead to incremental increases that lead to incremental increases is bad.  

• Confused 1

Guardian survivor

1 minute ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Uh... just because you use different words doesn’t make the outcome any different.  Pro choice is still pro abortion.  Changing the word only makes it more palatable and therefore more acceptable to the masses.  Literally pulling the wool over their eyes.  Incremental increases that lead to incremental increases that lead to incremental increases is bad.  

This is not how development works.

1 hour ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

Energy Melee complaints can be summarized in two points:

• Anemic AoE
  • Extremely slow animations

Different people might focus on one or the other, but both are big issues overall.

Both are big issues overall because they both exist in the same set.  However, the set was a beloved set before the changes to energy transfer.  I am sure it had even worse aoe before the energy transfer changes and people still loved it.  They loved it because it was good at what it did.  It filled its role as a single target hunter.  It had flavor.  Some people like tea, others like lemonade, some want both at the same time.  Just because you like an Arnold Palmer doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to mix all of the tea and lemonade.  

Guardian survivor

1 hour ago, ScarySai said:

The complaints about Shock Therapy's name being offensive just strike me as people trying to be offended.

Change the name if you think of a better one, but don't let the outrage mob force your hand.

@Captain Powerhouse

Speaking of easy issues to solve, can you take that taunt off Gun Drone?

I agree with this. There are plenty of things in the game (including several power names) that can be pointed to things IRL that offend people. I don’t see how this is any different.

I actually like the name shock therapy.

• Like 2