Focused Feedback: Dark Melee Update (Build 1)

Jimmy

4 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

For the record: Scrapper version of Dark Consumption (soon to be renamed Dark Equilibrium) is a bit out of wack. Its not intended to crit. Crits on the power are going away on the next revision.

I was literally about to suggest this, so thank you.

Edited by Wavicle

I just hope that in whatever changes come to pass, this doesn't end up screwing the endurance recovery aspect of the power, as I rely on that as part of my SD/DM tanker's strategy. I know currently it is half the recharge time for half the endurance per target, which should net the same performance assuming you are using it more often and thus in bigger groups, but I know these things tend to get tweaked and morph over time during these testing and "rebalance" phases, and I don't want to lose a key resource management component go away in favor of a variable nuke.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CosmicDreamShade said:

I just hope that in whatever changes come to pass, this doesn't end up screwing the endurance recovery aspect of the power, as I rely on that as part of my SD/DM tanker's strategy. I know currently it is half the recharge time for half the endurance per target, which should net the same performance assuming you are using it more often and thus in bigger groups, but I know these things tend to get tweaked and morph over time during these testing and "rebalance" phases, and I don't want to lose a key resource management component go away in favor of a variable nuke.

I think the endurance refill is in a good spot as of now, just the raw damage scaling should be toned back a bit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

It's still an endurance tool. If you use it for pure damage and run out of end when it's on CD, that's on you.

I am aware, note what I said... whatever changes come to pass. I did not at all even hint at the second part of what you said, so not sure what that is about.

My concern is that in the attempts to make the set more "boomy", they might continue to tweak things until the power is less viable as a recovery tool in their attempts at give and take rebalancing. My hopes are that is recognized and avoided.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CosmicDreamShade said:

I am aware, note what I said... whatever changes come to pass. I did not at all even hint at the second part of what you said, so not sure what that is about.

My concern is that in the attempts to make the set more "boomy", they might continue to tweak things until the power is less viable as a recovery tool in their attempts at give and take rebalancing. My hopes are that is recognized and avoided.

Then to clarify: There's no evidence to suggest they're going to mess with the recovery portion of the ability in a significant way (This would run counter to the idea of a "Dark Equilibrium.), and the second half of the statement is referring to the risk/reward of the ability for some builds. Not you, personally.

Edited by ScarySai

1 hour ago, Anubis_TD said:

I wonder if a comprise of the too much and it's perfect can be found.

Let's look at it a different way. Personally, the nuke on DC makes very little sense. 

My thoughts are keep all timing changes to DM and all changes to SM. Take the nuke put it on SD and remove end variance to dam. Then give DM SD's old dam to help mitigate the damage loss from both powers.  This way the nuke is unboostable ( new word) within the set and give more consistent output.  

Also would like to see SD get a base dam of 20%, while lowering to 6% its target buff.  This gives same AOE dam but help s in long AV fights where SD fails

Again... SD isn't TGTS * PCT for the buff, it's (TGTS + 5) * PCT.  Though it still requires that you hit one foe or you get nothing.  Right now the average infinite-horizon buff for SD is 25 to 28% larger than that for standard BU even with just 1 target.  That's 95% chance to hit times 60% as much buff from a single target as "normal" BU times 300% the duration divided by 1.34 to 1.37 cycle time ratio.  (The 25% is for 500% total Recharge while the 28% is out-of-the-box.)

Edited by csr
Clarity

I wonder if a comprise of the too much and it's perfect can be found.

Let's look at it a different way. Personally, the nuke on DC makes very little sense. 

My thoughts are keep all timing changes to DM and all changes to SM. Take the nuke put it on SD and remove end variance to dam. Then give DM SD's old dam to help mitigate the damage loss from both powers.  This way the nuke is unboostable ( new word) within the set and give more consistent output.  

Also would like to see SD get a base dam of 20%, while lowering to 6% its target buff.  This gives same AOE dam but help s in long AV fights where SD fails

I don't want the nuke on Soul Drain because then it will be killing it's fuel. I want those minions and lts to stick around while I'm fighting an AV. 

• Like 2

increasing the recharge to 14 seconds on shadow maul was a terrible idea. 8 seconds was already long enough. And decreasing the damage too? like that's exactly how you make a power inadequate . nearly dbl the recharge and lower the damage... Who makes these decisions? because this clearly was not thought through well enough.. if anything that power needs a buff to dmg

Edited by spokiee2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

I don't want the nuke on Soul Drain because then it will be killing it's fuel. I want those minions and lts to stick around while I'm fighting an AV. 

That was kinda the point (sucking the life and power from someone should be pretty deadly) and the reason for the buff change I mentioned. 

Still not sure how 8% or 30 secs is better than 80% over 10 vs an AV. 

5 minutes ago, Anubis_TD said:

That was kinda the point (sucking the life and power from someone should be pretty deadly) and the reason for the buff change I mentioned. 

If I keep the other mobs alive, then it's a lot more than 8% and it's either permanent or almost permanent.

26 minutes ago, spokiee2000 said:

increasing the recharge to 14 seconds on shadow maul was a terrible idea. 8 seconds was already long enough. And decreasing the damage too? like that's exactly how you make a power inadequate . nearly dbl the recharge and lower the damage... Who makes these decisions? because this clearly was not thought through well enough.. if anything that power needs a buff to dmg

Sounds like you didn’t test it at all. While I agree that the damage needs to be a tad higher than what they changed it to, the power is MUCH better across the board. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

For the record: Scrapper version of Dark Consumption (soon to be renamed Dark Equilibrium) is a bit out of wack. Its not intended to crit. Crits on the power are going away on the next revision.

Bah there go my dreams of destroying electric melee's stranglehold on AoE. So crits are going away completely for DC? 😞

Edited by Murcielago

Test I

Vet 7 Dark/Dark Scrapper.

Dealing with large groups is now much easier than before, which is good. The arc on Shadow Maul is fine and really doesn’t need any adjustment. The current damage modifier numbers could be left alone if it comes to either damage or radius. Dark Consumption was pretty good, even slotted with just 50 Common IOs (1 Acc, 1 Rech) and hit for an average of 300-400 after Soul Drain boosts. That thing definitely doesn’t not need crit capability. Dropping the damage potential a smidge (no more than 20%) should finish these changes and have them ready to go live.

Test II

Dark/Dark Tanker (1-7 currently)

I started out with P2W attacks, some travels and no Double XP. Shadow Maul in this range was very helpful in dealing with the large packs in the 1-7 level range. It actually made running the Atlas Park content much less of a slog, which is always a good thing.

Two things:

After testing with both a Scrapper and Tanker, I have to say that I am all-in for keeping Shadow Maul just like it is. Playing that low-level Tanker makes me want to convert my Vet 7 Scrapper into one.

After playing around with Dark Armor, I am compelled to ask if it’s possible for the set to get some kind of global endurance reduction for the power set this cycle? Maybe just a tad?😁

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Very confused by those opposing this on thematic grounds.

Dark Consumption is summoning the death energy powers of the underworld to drain others of life and turn it into energy.  

Its like the goth girl in high school could suck all the perkiness and vitality from the cheerleader squad to refill her Redbull.

• Haha 4

Not sure if anyone else feels this way.. but can we keep the name the same? And change the name of the APP and EPP Dark Consumptions? Dark Equilibrium sounds... off. Gives me more of a toggle/auto power buff kind of vibe and not something that deals respectable damage. I’d love for the name to stay the same, or maybe change it to something more... sinister. Devour? Consume Souls? 

Edited by cazden121
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Very confused by those opposing this on thematic grounds.

Dark Consumption is summoning the death energy powers of the underworld to drain others of life and turn it into energy.  

Its like the goth girl in high school could suck all the perkiness and vitality from the cheerleader squad to refill her Redbull.

*bites tongue*

*flees*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spokiee2000 said:

This has already been pointed out, and not only is the damage going up but the recharge and endurance costs are coming down. Please see this post:

7 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

That solves my main problem with it - I would consider setting a lower limit on the damage, but the scale 6+ damage AoE seemed a bit much to me considering the likelihood of gaming a 60% critical rate using ATOs (plus the powers that it was compared to don't critical due to using pseudopets), and you have to get below 35% endurance to even get below the scale 0.8 that it is currently for targets outside of 3' away, 25% for mobs within 3'.

You are laboring under a false belief about how Soul Drain works.  There are two buffs.  One that is 40% if you hit at least 1 foe and one that is 8% for each foe hit.  That means the Soul Drain buff starts at 48% for the 1st foe hit and 8% each for the next 9.  (Scrappers get 50+10 per and Corruptors 34+6.8 per due to different Damage Self-Buff Modifiers,)

Edited by csr
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, csr said:

You are laboring under a false belief about how Soul Drain works.  There are two buffs.  One that is 40% if you hit at least 1 foe and one that is 8% for each foe hit.  That means the Soul Drain buff starts at 48% for the 1st foe hit and 8% each for the next 9.  (Scrappers get 40+10 per and Corruptors 34+6.8 per due to different Damage Self-Buff Modifiers,)

Nitpick just because I'm looking at it on beta while posting: Scrappers get 50% + 10% per.

2 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

Sorry?   oops misread that.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum