Can Praetorians get an intro mission to First/Night Ward please

Oubliette_Red

I would be nice if Praetorians got an introductory mission to First Ward and Night Ward, or at least a popup contact that send them to Doorman in the southernmost room in Underground Imperial City, like Beholder or one of the other freed Seers.

This would allow Praetorians clearer access to:

• More Day Jobs
  • Content beyond 20
  • Teaming with Primal Earthers

Edited, since my fellow CoH-ers said you can access via Contact tp.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
Changed title fromm 'access' to 'intro' since Praetorians can access, they just might not know it
  • Like 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

You'd think that the Tunnel network would allow access to Praetorians.

Edited original for Tunnel Network usage.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

There is a door to the First ward to Underground Imperial and it still works. Haven't tried it with a Praetorian, but it let me get there with my primal toon, since I had started the First Ward arcs by the contact in Cap au Diable mostly by accident.

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a level 36 Praetorian who used the door in Underground Imperial to reach First Ward and from there went into Night Ward. My plan is to utterly exhaust the content there before finally exiting to Primal Earth as close to 50 as I can get so I can then do the Instant Army and Hero’s Epic (i.e. more Praetoria).

If necessary, I’ll do the New Praetorians arcs pre-50, but if I can hit 50 without them I’ll delay those so I can run them in sequence after the Trials and Belladonna arc.

Lastly, I plan to close that character out with the Praetoria’s Last Gasp arc with the notion that they will remain at Last Bastion rather than return to Primal Earth because Praetoria is their home and they intend to fight for it.

• Like 2

The only thing it's missing is an actual introduction mission, yeah. Everything the game tells you points Praetorians to leaving and going to Primal Earth as their only option once they hit level 20. The First Ward contacts are available but if I remember rightly nohing actually points you to them as a Praetorian, you have to go find Doorman by yourself to go to First Ward.

• Thanks 2

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

I’ve got a level 36 Praetorian who used the door in Underground Imperial to reach First Ward and from there went into Night Ward. My plan is to utterly exhaust the content there before finally exiting to Primal Earth as close to 50 as I can get so I can then do the Instant Army and Hero’s Epic (i.e. more Praetoria).

If necessary, I’ll do the New Praetorians arcs pre-50, but if I can hit 50 without them I’ll delay those so I can run them in sequence after the Trials and Belladonna arc.

Lastly, I plan to close that character out with the Praetoria’s Last Gasp arc with the notion that they will remain at Last Bastion rather than return to Primal Earth because Praetoria is their home and they intend to fight for it.

Must be level-locked then, unless I'm missing a door. I tried both in Underground Imperial city and neither would allow my pre-20 character through to First Ward.

I'm going to check on Beta, but perhaps all it will take is the devs removing the level restrictions.

Update: Well pancake, finally found Doorman in the southernmost room in Underground Imperial City, not in the room NE of Access A where there are Tunnel Network portals. He's also not on the map. My L7 Praetorian can talk to the Doorman, and he'll share some dialog with her though won't giver he any missions other than to talk to Jester. She can click on the doors near him and enter First Ward.

So other than @General Idiot suggestion about a Praetorian-side intro mission, seems like most of my suggestion already works.

Outstanding Homecoming Devs, that was damn quick!

smiley_runaway.gif.47869b67606e6e6af2faba0a9badddb2.gif

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Haha 2

To be fair I'm not 100% sure about the intro mission. I know he doesn't pop up at level 20 when the two 'leave Praetoria right now' contacts do, but he may do so at level 21. It's been a long time since I levelled a Praetorian and didn't leave the moment I could.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

2 hours ago, General Idiot said:

To be fair I'm not 100% sure about the intro mission. I know he doesn't pop up at level 20 when the two 'leave Praetoria right now' contacts do, but he may do so at level 21. It's been a long time since I levelled a Praetorian and didn't leave the moment I could.

He does not that I recall.  I kept a character in Praetoria doing contacts until 22 some months back and the "You gotta leave now" contact was the only one that popped up once I hit 20, then nothing else unlocked during 21 or 22.

You can definitely get to the zones even as a level 1 Praetorian. I got all the day jobs in First Ward on my Praetorian characters that I remade from live that I haven't levelled yet on Homecoming.

Edited by Vanden
  • Thanks 2

My zoom level may have hidden the First Ward marker when I was looking before, all I found were the Hero/Villain Tunnel portals. But Doorman is not indicated on the map at all.

I'd like the Resistance/Loyalist storylines to be continued in First Ward/Night Ward, myself. Not sure how/if that would be possible to do with the way the system is set up. Writing new missions and morality missions is one thing, but I don't know if the current Level 20 Cole choice cap is too hardcoded in to accommodate expanded mission options.

(And I'm still waiting/hoping we can get an invention hub in those locations; abandoned university/lab for First Ward, and magic lab for Night Ward would be great!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further investigation. In addition to using the door next to Doorman in Underground Imperial, if you have access to a base teleporter, you can use those to travel directly to First Ward and Night Ward. I used the base teleporters and Doorman's door on a L1 (Resistance) stalker just fine.

These zones will give you access to Midnighter, Mortician, D.U.S.T. Ranger, Scavenger, Psychologist, and Survivalist day job badges.

FWIW, I tried teleporting to some of the other "disconnected" zones ( Khallisti Wharf, RWZ, Dark Astoria, and Echo: Galaxy City). Those caused a "disconnect from mapserver" error and dumped you back at a random door in the Praetorian starting zone whose name I am too lazy too look up right now.

Yeah, that would be because, even though they appear disconnected, they actually have access to other zones via portals (which is technically all the trams/mission doors are too... just with fancier animations)

Praetorian is coded as its own faction and neither hero nor villain for zone access. Until you go through the gateway to Primal Earth your flag isn’t flipped to allow you anywhere but Praetorian zones (I believe you can also go to Pocket D as one of the Night Ward missions even requires you to go there).

I also know there are Resistance and Loyalist (along with hero and villain) contacts  who hand out repeatable missions inside the First Ward main compound. I took advantage of those to smooth out my Praetorian leveling since I wasn’t using double XP (which I skip in 1-20 Praetoria because its already stupid easy to outlevel contacts and then forgot to charge up on before I hit First Ward and by the time I remembered I was 36 and most of the way through Night Ward anyway).

On 2/28/2020 at 6:39 PM, Apparition said:

Yeah, you can go straight to First Ward by using the Teleport to Contact option.

That sounds like a work around.  Allow direct access would make it easier for people and likely wouldn't be a difficult fix.

14 hours ago, rebel_1812 said:

That sounds like a work around.  Allow direct access would make it easier for people and likely wouldn't be a difficult fix.

I updated the OP. A popup from a contact introducing Praetorians to Doorman I think would be the simplest solution.

• Like 1

• 1 year later

I'm leveling a Praetorian and this post helped me find Doorman as he was not "given" to me.

I had access to my SG so could get to First Ward but of course there was no way to kick off any stories through Jester without first talking to Doorman. 

As a general comment, it does seem weird that all those decisions and people that were so important leveling to level 20 play no bearing in FW, but its just one of the many pieces of cognitive dissonance between Praetoria and, well, everything. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc