Well... That Was Bad... Never Again...

Zeraphia

Just thought about making threads for characters we're less than "happy" with for laughs and comparisons sake! 

I made a build for a dark/psi/psi dom, and I tested it on live, yikes! Not impressed with her whatsoever!

I also made an Archery/TA blaster, did not care for how enemies could easily move out of the T9 plus all your damage being basically lethal!

I made a Shield/Rad Tanker who was to be sturdy and deal damage, I was rather unimpressed!

Of course there are combos here that could be built differently, but I'm sure some people have issues with similar builds as well! This isn't meant to disrespect another's powerset combinations, rather than to just take in the "oh damn, this was awful haha!" moments!

See, and I love my Archery/Tac Arrow Blaster (though I admittedly skipped Rain of Arrows). I found that Tac Arrow’s electro-net (energy damage and VERY short recharge), toxic glue (toxic damage) and ice arrow (cold damage), coupled with Archery’s fire (fire damage) and explosive (smashing damage) arrows gives it a fantastic mix of energy types to deal with things with high lethal resist.

Of particular note, two of the biggest offenders; ghosts and robots; are usually weak to energy so I just spam them with electro-nets (I slot mine with damage IO set instead of immobilize) with their 1s cast and 1s recharge (popping a fire, ice or sniper shot into gaps as they come up) and watch them melt. ESD and explosive arrows are also good against robots (ESD for the bonus damage, explosive because most bots aren’t resistant to smashing damage).

Also of note, the ESD arrow + the Ice Arrow can lock down anything short of an AV and give you time to double stack your ice arrow to keep them that way.

I think it’s easily my favorite blaster of any I’ve ever rolled. Fast firing, very low End use (only needed the base stamina slot + base effect of the +rec secondary to have zero End worries) and with exceptional control as a secondary.

It’s bonus to-hit from the secondary also augments the fast damage of the archery snipe (it was very easy with tactics and the kismet to-hit IO to reach the damage buff cap) which I’ve got on a 5s recharge. Even with high resistance to lethal it just drills through things.

Sorry your A/TA blaster didn’t work out for you. Not every build is for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had this issue with my elec/elec scrapper.....she was just horrible.....got some build help over on that board and now, after a healthy respec and about 20m in common IOs, she is 50+1 and doing well!  Sometimes its just the difference in knowing how the powers in a set work.  I had never played either set before so I was trying ALL the powers and some are....bad.

• Thanks 1

If we harken back to live....my main was storm/energy defender.....the synergy sucks....either your energy powers blow the enemy out of lightning storm or tornado or lightning storm blows enemies out of your nova. 

And being depended on as the healer for ex-hubby playing blaster was. a. task. 

I enjoy storm and I enjoy energy blast, but together? Never again!

Ran that toon for at least 3 years.  Even after 50 ex wanted to keep playing that duo cuz he loved his.  It did force me to learn the trade of H34L0r, though lol

• Sad 1

Back on live I was never been able to get my ice controller to work for me. I loved her look, the concept fits the character just right, but playing her was never something I enjoyed. She felt like she never had the offense to really hurt her foes and the soft control didn't provide enough mitigation to keep her alive long enough for her foes to slowly bleed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 33053222 said:

I also made an Archery/TA blaster, did not care for how enemies could easily move out of the T9 plus all your damage being basically lethal!

This was the thing that made my TA/Arch Defender feel underwhelming. Rain of Arrows had a long animation, and then had a further delay before the arrows actually started falling. By the time the attack landed, the fight had almost invariably moved on, out of the beaten area, and I'd wasted the attack.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Masterminds.

I have tried so many combos and I just find them terribly boring to play.

That's why ya gotta have a story...a monologue going in your head...its the game within the game!  😝  seriously though, I feel ya, I am lvling a bots/devices MM and I only have three pew pew pew attacks so far...then stand around wait for recharge while hoping the pets don't wander off and let me die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, EmmySky said:

That's why ya gotta have a story...a monologue going in your head...its the game within the game!  😝  seriously though, I feel ya, I am lvling a bots/devices MM and I only have three pew pew pew attacks so far...then stand around wait for recharge while hoping the pets don't wander off and let me die.

The story with the MMs seems to be some form of 'let me assemble a group of terrible henchmen so they can be killed while I have a cocktail.' 🙂 

Perfect for Goldfinger, just not any fun for me.

It like calling over friends to play a game and then just watching them play it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

The story with the MMs seems to be some form of 'let me assemble a group of terrible henchmen so they can be killed while I have a cocktail.' 🙂 

It like calling over friends to play a game and then just watching them play it.

It's why I 6-slot my 3 attacks and lead from the front (well, maybe not so in front, I do send them forward first and then follow up blasting away).  If I do feel lazy, I'll sit back and send the minions forward and have my cocktail.  Rush forward to heal them?  Hah, I'll summon more.  

"Jeevs! Bring me another beer!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

AR/Invuln Sentinel.

A set combo SO crap that it actually made me swear off making another Sentinel ever again. It doesn't help that Assault rifle isn't an uber amazing set on Blasters so the lower target caps, shorter cones AND lower damage on Sentinels just makes Assault Rifle (and already mediocre set) into something that feels awful to play. Shame because I loved the concept I had for it too but well..nope...never touching Sentinel again...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yoru-hime said:

She felt like she never had the offense to really hurt her foes and the soft control didn't provide enough mitigation to keep her alive long enough for her foes to slowly bleed out.

Ice is great on teams once you get ice slick but is always painful to solo.

• Thanks 1

After poking around in the Blaster forums looking for opinions, I decided to create an Ice Blast/Tactical Arrow.  Ice Blast basically makes TA redundant.

• Sad 1

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

4 hours ago, 33053222 said:

I made a build for a dark/psi/psi dom and I tested it on live, yikes! Not impressed with her whatsoever!

Y'know, I'm not that impressed with Psi Mastery on Doms, either.  I want to love Mind Link, but it just doesn't seem as good in practice as it seems on paper.  I always wind up reverting to Soul or Ice for Soul Drain or Sleet.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, biostem said:

I just cannot get into titan weapons.  I keep reading how good they are, but I just cannot seem to get into the whole momentum mechanic and how slow and plodding it feels, (to me)...

I tried one... and deleted it after a couple of DFB runs.  That slow then a few fast then back to slow drove me up a wall.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

10 hours ago, biostem said:

I just cannot get into titan weapons.  I keep reading how good they are, but I just cannot seem to get into the whole momentum mechanic and how slow and plodding it feels, (to me)...

Same .. I have a level 38 parked

So .. SLOW 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, biostem said:

I can completely understand, I had the exact same thoughts and feelings about it when I first tried it, however...

I came to eventually understand that when you're "off momentum" for an AOE, always use AoD -> Whirling does EXCELLENT work.

Save the Build Momentum for the start of a mob to speed up both and get an absolutely disgusting amount of damage from these two, use it to start battles, don't use Build Momentum when you already have momentum despite how some of the damage bonuses may be nice from it.

For sustained ST, mostly the same, however sometimes it is acceptable to open with Rend Armor instead of AoD. 

I definitely think the build up/build momentum power is the #1 for this set, you can go fairly "mob to mob" with it as an opener.

Edited by 33053222

17 hours ago, DR_Mechano said:

AR/Invuln Sentinel.

A set combo SO crap that it actually made me swear off making another Sentinel ever again. It doesn't help that Assault rifle isn't an uber amazing set on Blasters so the lower target caps, shorter cones AND lower damage on Sentinels just makes Assault Rifle (and already mediocre set) into something that feels awful to play. Shame because I loved the concept I had for it too but well..nope...never touching Sentinel again...

Still have mine at 40ish. She is, indeed, painfully underwhelming and soon to be nuked. My fire/bio sent, otoh, is rockin. Still have a fire/nin sent, too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, biostem said:

It's kind of funny; my Elec/TW Tanker does just fine running solo -- she does the old-style 'taunt the spawn, back around a corner to force them to clump up' routine, and then unleashes the AoEs, interspersed with Power Sink to drain off End, and it's a steady pounding until the spawn is down. In teams it feels more like she's a mobile taunt source, because her first attack is so slow, and groups no longer want to wait for the tank to gather up all the mobs.

• Like 1

I realize I won't persuade anyone against their own experience,  but I was going to promote Rain of Arrows on an Archery/TA Blaster...until I saw someone say they didn't even take it.  *boggle*

If you're remembering from live, note that Homecoming cut the animation time for RoA (I believe from 4 seconds to 2).  But if you use it as an opener, foes move much less...especially if you queue up Glue Arrow, ESD Arrow, or Explosive Arrow (with kb -> kd slotted).  Enemies are alerted,  start shooting, and are knocked down and wounded just before the big nuke lands.  Coupled with Aim and Upshot (or whatever Tac Arrow's Build Up equivalent is) this wipes out tons of things.

It doesn't take much recharge to have that combo every other spawn.   ESD plus Ice Arrow on the boss holds the next spawn for your normal AoEs (Fistful,  Explosive and one from your Ancillary) and then the nuke sequence is ready again  for the next.

Upshot has a +recharge boost that helps this sequence.  It's awesome.

Edited by Sailboat

Squishy builds with a damage aura. Yes, it works in the end when you are 50 and can pimp out the build. The rid to 50 just isn't fun. I'm seriously debating if my Fire/time controller won't get the axe in the end despite knowing the build as a lot of potential. 

Slotting a recharge in /shields mez protection, setting it to auto, and still getting mezzed. I'm keeping the build because I like it overall, but it looks like I need more recharge than a level 25 IO which is frustrating.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 2/29/2020 at 11:09 AM, jubakumbi said:

See, I like my bots/traps MM because I can manage the battlefield exactly the way I want it.  It was particularly a nice change from live after running my rad defender main and having teams totally fail to cooperate and being either ineffective or faceplanting as a result.  "Finally, a team that does EXACTLY WHAT I TELL THEM!" 🙂   I also like TW on a tank, because while its animating I can look around the battlefield and see what is going on that I might need to respond to.  Since I'm not expected to be a main damage source on a team, if I mess up the momentum mechanic, its no big deal.  I don't know that I'd take it on a Brute or Scrapper.  

Played a Grav/FF on live, and never again, even incarnated out I almost never found a mission or team where that character was a better choice than my other ones.  There are a handful of scenarios where you NEED someone locked down, like "prevent escape" type stuff, but not enough to justify the character.  Remade as a Grav/Time here, and significantly more fun to play between the fact that Time can actually help with offense and the availability of knockback -> knockdown IOs.  Still a fairly late bloomer, though.  

• Haha 1