Well... That Was Bad... Never Again...

Zeraphia

I have to agree with both TW (killed a brute at lvl 34 because it was just so excruciating to play) and MMs (have a bots/traps at 32 that I planned to solo AVs with but... just can't get into it). 

My Archery/TA blaster is probably the most fun I've had playing CoH. At 42 the lethal damage thing hasn't really been an issue because of other damage types in the set, and the T9 absolutely shreds. Regularly.

Of course to each their own! 

I don't recall ever deleting a character because it wasn't fun to play.

The only one I can recall deleting was because his powers didn't quite match his name.  I made a claws/SR scrapper named Unarmed Wombat.  He was in the early 20's when someone said, "Well, he's not really 'Unarmed', is he?"

Had to delete him and remake him as martial arts/SR.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I made a Dominator, spent a shedload of inf and merits to get her to perma-Domination.  Then I quickly lost interest.  Got Alpha unlocked; that's as far as she got.  Like a Brute that takes a lot longer for the buildup, but then loses any advantage and goes back to zero if your attention slips at the wrong time.  Like a Brute, only without mez protection.  Too fussy and fiddly to play at level 50, and rather a sad thing when exemped.  Even the Mastermind is easier to play.  And it turns out I don't really enjoy slotting strategies that involve pursuing one goal like Recharge above all else.

Rolled a Ninjutsu/Katana tanker.  Thought that could be made into an unstoppable murder machine.  Endurance was too much of an issue. 

There are other characters that have disappointed.  Titan Weapons/Willpower scrapper.  Staff/Regen brute trying to tank.  But those characters are still rather fun. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Back on Live I had a Dark/Dark Scrapper that I could not get past the 30s. So. Much. End. Two swings and she exhausted, basically.

I tried to make a Titan Weapons/Rad Armor Brute on Homecoming. I dunno, it's supposed to be good, but I could not get it to work. I think I should have taken a better armor set, but I can't figure out what that would be. I have a Psi/Bio brute now that freaking rocks.

MM's I have the same issue as one of the earlier posters, just kind of boring. Also, my main is a Grav controller, and I got used to the brilliant Singularity as a pet, so when I found out the hard way that the MM pets are just complete morons, I couldn't handle it. Next time I want a bunch of pets, I'll make a Dark/Dark/Soul Controller.

Elec/Atomic Blaster. No damage. Couldn't hit. Had decent controls for a blaster, but I'd rather just play a controller for that. Replaced her with a Beam/TA blaster and that is suhweeeeeeeet.

Good idea for a fun thread!

On 3/4/2020 at 3:30 AM, Heraclea said:

Rolled a Ninjutsu/Katana tanker.  Thought that could be made into an unstoppable murder machine.  Endurance was too much of an issue. 

Er... Tankers don't get Ninjutsu? Did you mean Brute?

On 3/4/2020 at 1:30 AM, Heraclea said:

I made a Dominator, spent a shedload of inf and merits to get her to perma-Domination.  Then I quickly lost interest.  Got Alpha unlocked; that's as far as she got.  Like a Brute that takes a lot longer for the buildup, but then loses any advantage and goes back to zero if your attention slips at the wrong time.  Like a Brute, only without mez protection.  Too fussy and fiddly to play at level 50, and rather a sad thing when exemped.  Even the Mastermind is easier to play.  And it turns out I don't really enjoy slotting strategies that involve pursuing one goal like Recharge above all else.

Yeah, got me a Dominator up to 50 and perma-dom put in (all the spending and even alpha to tier 3) and I realized I couldn't stand playing it since it was simply too fiddly for me. Perma dom can only be maintained when you watch it like a hawk, and honestly I don't have enough focus for that. Heck, I've had tanks die because I was paying too much attention to fighting to watch my health bar. 

• Like 2

An ENERGY/Traps Corruptor is a pretty awful combination. Although KB to KD would make it marginally better. Then why take energy at all? Just take rad and nothing gets knocked back. If you have to waste one slot to fix something detrimental, then just don't take it period. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 3/4/2020 at 2:30 AM, Heraclea said:

And it turns out I don't really enjoy slotting strategies that involve pursuing one goal like Recharge above all else.

QFT.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 3/4/2020 at 3:22 AM, Ironblade said:

The only one I can recall deleting was because his powers didn't quite match his name.  I made a claws/SR scrapper named Unarmed Wombat.  He was in the early 20's when someone said, "Well, he's not really 'Unarmed', is he?"

Well you could have renamed it Armed Wombat... hang on... was he even a Wombat? I don't remember that option in the character creator...

• Haha 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I really wanted to enjoy playing an Electric/Energy blaster like I had back in the day (my first 50)... The 50s I played after it have ruined the combo for me. The combo felt like I was attacking things with a 9 volt battery in comparison. Tried an Elec/Atomic for funsies (liked Atomic, hated Elec) but gave up after 3 missions... I really want to like Electrical Blast like I do Electrical Melee... sigh. 

On 3/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Herotu said:

Well you could have renamed it Armed Wombat... hang on... was he even a Wombat? I don't remember that option in the character creator...

I originally wanted to name him 'Hand to Hand Wombat' but that was too long.  Even Hand2Hand Wombat was too long.

And he wasn't actually a wombat.  He was lost in the wilderness as a child and RAISED by wombats - in the Pacific Northwest, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, Ironblade said:

Except that you could argue that the claws were their natural claws...

26 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I originally wanted to name him 'Hand to Hand Wombat' but that was too long.  Even Hand2Hand Wombat was too long.

And he wasn't actually a wombat.  He was lost in the wilderness as a child and RAISED by wombats - in the Pacific Northwest, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Does "RAISED by Wombats" fit?

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Herotu said:

Does "RAISED by Wombats" fit?

Probably.  I think Hand2Hand Wombat would fit now.  The allowed character name length was increased many years ago.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:41 PM, Ironblade said:

Now you made me all nostalgic for the superhero wombat character I played in a superhero funny animals Pnp Champions campaign - WombatBat.  WombatBat was a wombat who wore a high-tech bat costume to fight crime, working out of the WombatBatcave, driving the WombatBatmobile, & wielding the WombatBatarang.  His only weakness was daylight, because as a nocturnal creature, he was prone to narcolepsy during the day.  Good times! 😎

Edited by Mister Mass

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

On 3/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, Mister Mass said:

Now you made me all nostalgic for the superhero wombat character I played in a superhero funny animals Pnp Champions campaign - WombatBat.  WombatBat was a wombat who wore a high-tech bat costume to fight crime, working out of the WombatBatcave, driving the WombatBatmobile, & wielding the WombatBatarang.  His only weakness was daylight, because as a nocturnal creature, he was prone to narcolepsy during the day.  Good times! 😎

Was he bitten by a radioactive bat?

Who run Bartertown?

Haven't really run into this issue on HC yet because I know a bunch of sets I'm not very interested in playing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at some point. Generally I'd say I dislike powerset combinations that don't have a lot of synergy (let's say, primary with ranged cones and secondary with PBAoEs), active combinations that conflict with each other (anything with longer animations + Regen, for example), damage dealers with very little AoE (Dark Melee) and anything that's just relatively weak at what it's supposed to do (Elec Blast). 

For whatever reason, Dominators are the only AT I've never managed to get to 50, but I'm not really sure why. I'm pretty determined to get at least one 50 of each AT on HC, but I'll have to do some more research on Domis to figure out what kind of combo would work best for me.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I have a Plant Control/Nature Affinity Controller in the 30s. I really like the character, but I have no real idea what I'm doing as a Controller and I've only ever put time into very damage-intensive ATs, so whenever I team I feel like I'm contributing very little. Haven't played them in about a month.

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

Probably the weakest character that made it to 50 was a Sonic / Elec / Elec Defender.

The primary & secondary didn't really have any synergy.

I only had two blasts (no fast snipe).

Voltaic Sentinel is untargettable, so no placing DIsruption Field on it.

Sonic Dispersion - stay in place so squishes know where to go for status protection. Short Circuit - hope in & drain, then hop out.

Only good at mass drain when Power Sink was off CD (double the recharge because it's in an Epic Pool)

One thing she did have going for her was that res buffs (both powersets and set bonuses) were rarer back then, so resistance sets [/i]really[/i] liked getting to the resistance hard cap.

Weak though she was, I'll be damned if I didn't like the concept. Wonder how much better it would be with a usable Zapp and Thunderous Blast... (Look, I said better, not good. :P)

• 4 weeks later

I'm kind of the other way around to some people. My name sake character New Dawn AR/Dev when we first got Croatoa, I soloed it on unyielding, went through all the red caps etc with all their spawning and had so many near death experiences but did not die at all, that is what makes me love a character... a Kat/Regen Scrapper in my hands just went through level after level after level, no deaths, no seriously exciting near death experiences, no challenge, I did what I normally would never do and deleted it.

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

I never managed to get a Warshade to 50... Odds are good I never will. 

I'm fine with Peacebringers. I had three of those back in the day... a human-only, a human/nova and a human/dwarf... and I was fond of all of them. But I never could get the hang of my 'shades. I tried... but... NOPE. It just never worked out.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice