Remove travel speed limits

Photon

We already have ED limiting how many of the same enhancement we can put in a power, so why do travel powers need to have such a low speed limit on top of that? Flight enhancements are completely useless unless you have afterburner, in which case you need to apply enhancements to BOTH powers inorder to go any faster. Speed's cap is also really easy to hit. Cant say anything about leaping since i never use it. 

I don't recall specifics, but for Super Speed I think there is some sort of technical limitation**. I don't know if that is due to the specific engine or something else from when the game was originally created in the dark ages, but it's my understanding that is why. And Fly and Super Jump were intentionally made with a lower cap because of their vertical movement.

**I very well could be remembering wrong and therefore throwing out nonsense

Edited by MunkiLord

Super Speed can sometimes get glitchy, so technical limitations on that upper bound does make sense.

Plus-and-minus balancing across the travel powers; flight being slower because of how flexibly useful it was for hitting rooftops without any troubles, the extreme safety of it for zone-crossing, etc., that all made much more sense back in live days when travel was more a deliberate-design time-consuming pain in the butt in general. But now since travel and pseudotravel is trivial from P2W freebies and cheapies, not to mention SG transit hubs, I think the speed of pretty much the whole lot could be allowed to be equaled out. That might even be a nice way to make travel powers proper an appealing choice compared to just getting by with using p2w jetpacks and ninja runs and such.

Edited by Drastic

There needs to be an upper limit for technical reasons otherwise some unfortunate soul with Super Speed on who get's Speed Boosted by me, who six-slots Speed Boost for speed increase, will move so fast they shift dimensions and end up outside the map, falling into the swirling and infinite abyss.

• Like 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Reminds me of this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing

It is possible to accelerate until reaching 1.23×1037 miles per hour (1.98×1037 kilometres per hour; 5.8×1020 light-years per second) or more than 1028 times the speed of light. At this point, all checkpoints will turn green and the player will instantly win the race, supposedly because the vehicle's extreme speed causes it to occupy the entire map at once.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AerialAssault said:

There needs to be an upper limit for technical reasons otherwise some unfortunate soul with Super Speed on who get's Speed Boosted by me, who six-slots Speed Boost for speed increase, will move so fast they shift dimensions and end up outside the map, falling into the swirling and infinite abyss.

Even if a limit is absolutely necessary, i still want it to be a little higher.

45 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

The speeds are fine (animation time of TP is long perhaps, but besides that).

The solution is simply to DISALLOW slotting speed in Fly since it does not benefit from it.

Uhh, no. Fly does benifit a little bit from speed enhancememts if you enhance afterburner at the same time. Enhancing flight speed on afterburner raises the flight speed CAP more than it increases your flight speed, so you have to enhance both powers for the most effect.

Edited by Derfindorf

1 hour ago, AerialAssault said:

I'm all about visiting the Speed Force. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derfindorf said:

Uhh, no. Fly does benifit a little bit from speed enhancememts if you enhance afterburner at the same time. Enhancing flight speed on afterburner raises the flight speed CAP more than it increases your flight speed, so you have to enhance both powers for the most effect.

Interesting, I did not realize that.

Even so, the caps are fine where they are.

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I don't recall specifics, but for Super Speed I think there is some sort of technical limitation**. I don't know if that is due to the specific engine or something else from when the game was originally created in the dark ages, but it's my understanding that is why. And Fly and Super Jump were intentionally made with a lower cap because of their vertical movement.

The confirmation is likely buried in the Legacy forums, but it was and continues to be a limitation of the game engine.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Well, thank you for that definitive answer on behalf of the HC team and everyone else without any explanation behind it.

In the case of combat jumping and hover, they specifically don't suffer any slowdown while in combat, and both provide a bit of defense, which highlights their intended use as in-combat maneuvering powers.  CJ even has it in its name, plus the resistance to immobilization effects.  What would you do with those 2 powers if travel suppression was removed?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

@Derfindorf The limitation mentioned is like gravity, in that, it's a thing and without some major event it will remain a thing.

Edited by Troo
forgot op handle

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

Sounds like a "their" problem

• Haha 1

There are two reasons in place for the Superspeed limit being the essentially limit to speed in the game:

1) Computers in 2004 could only render objects in the distance so quickly before the rendering burden created massive lag, crashes, and in rare instances damage to hardware.

2) Servers in 2004 could only keep track of characters in X numbers of cycles per second, and if a character was not within X-Y milliseconds of where they should be they could get "Lost" which leads to rubberbanding as the server tries to correct the apparent error.

Today, both personal computers and the servers are vastly more sophisticated... but the engine was written for those 2004 computers (Truth be told it was written for 1998 computers to maximize the number of players capable of playing the game and thus paying a subscription fee!) so while it's certainly possible to increase the speed cap beyond what it is, now: It will probably cause some PROBLEMS.

Especially if you've got 40 super speedsters running a race through the zone for a million inf to the winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Player2 said:

Well, thank you for that definitive answer on behalf of the HC team and everyone else without any explanation behind it.

Nowhere did they remotely insinuate they speak for anyone but themselves. It's a forum...unless people say otherwise they are giving their personal opinion on a public topic. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, biostem said:

In the case of combat jumping and hover, they specifically don't suffer any slowdown while in combat, and both provide a bit of defense, which highlights their intended use as in-combat maneuvering powers.  CJ even has it in its name, plus the resistance to immobilization effects.  What would you do with those 2 powers if travel suppression was removed?

I would do what I do now, leave Combat Jumping and Super Speed on all the time. 

Was the speed capped due to hardware capabilities at the time, or was it an issue with the engine itself that caused things to bug out at a certain speed threshhold? I forget what Jack's reasoning was.

If the former, I don't oppose the idea, but if the latter, better safe than sorry, eh?

Edited by ScarySai

On 3/4/2020 at 9:43 AM, Derfindorf said:

We already have ED limiting how many of the same enhancement we can put in a power, so why do travel powers need to have such a low speed limit on top of that? Flight enhancements are completely useless unless you have afterburner, in which case you need to apply enhancements to BOTH powers inorder to go any faster. Speed's cap is also really easy to hit. Cant say anything about leaping since i never use it. 

Rangerj. Sorry.

49 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Was the speed capped due to hardware capabilities at the time, or was it an issue with the engine itself that caused things to bug out at a certain speed threshhold? I forget what Jack's reasoning was.

If the former, I don't oppose the idea, but if the latter, better safe than sorry, eh?

It was basically BOTH being a problem. There were hardware issues at the time AND the engine goes a bit wonky if you take the limiters off. Superspeed already can cause things to go kinda iffy like suddenly phasing through things at full pelt and the engine goes wonky once you get up there in speed.