Tempest's Roleplay Suggestion Compendium

On 7/13/2020 at 11:15 PM, r0y said:

Well, after @ImpousVileTerror and I pondered this, @Tad Cooper jumped in and pointed out it already is possible.

So, I've made my macro:

/macro i "info_tab 0"

So when I target someone, I can hit that.  Can also bind it:  /bind CTRL+i "info_tab 0"  (assuming you want it to be control+i, I already have my "i" key bound...)

Will I be able to select name from chat channel, and perform info_tab?

3 hours ago, Oginth said:

Will I be able to select name from chat channel, and perform info_tab?

No, you will not be able to use it via selecting a name from the chat channel because you have to have the other player targeted.

That was one of the reasons I originally was asking for a "/info $target" - because if we can replace the $target with a typed name of a toon currently logged in, that would accomplish what you're asking.  Although I imagine there's more than a couple hurdles, code-wise, to overcome.

A function for emote text with no name attached to it would be excellent for narration, say for when you're running an RP event or an AE for a large group.

This would have been a nice tool to have during a few events I've run with my SG in the past.

Edited by Harris

Bio editor bug fixing would be very welcome. I am a fan of writing bios (product of a misspent youth) and have been bitten by these bugs more times than I can count. Extended character count is not a priority for me, but I can see it being popular. Thanks for looking into this!

Also, dice-rolling would be cool.

Now, kidding:

Can we have a pack of cards and a roulette wheel, also? Or bingo, bingo would be neat!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 1 month later

Sometimes, in crowded settings it would be useful to filter out OOC chatter, or at least have it as its own local-range channel than can be filtered to a different tab or recolored if you choose.

If possible, maybe give the text bubble a different border as well, so when you're looking at it, you can tell right away that it's OOC (Or perhaps just throw a little OOC tag in the corner of the bubble as well.)

Maybe even automatically throw some parentheses around the text? Just spitballing here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Might be easier to do the opposite and make a dedicated roleplay chat channel because apparently most players don't roleplay.   A channel like that could open some new options.  Like maybe the colour of the character name is the colour for the whole message.

• 1 month later
  • 1 month later
On 3/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, Andreah said:

Radio/Newspaper missions have been a staple for years, and many people like them, and we often roleplay through them. However, they could use some sprucing up.

I'd like to see in-game contacts requesting back up/offering bounties through radios and papers.

They would offer a choice to...

- Complete a mission from their arc (non-selectable, most likely timed, level equivalent)

- Be sent to a hazard zone or 1 of the more interesting maps--Croatoa, Boomtown, Perez Park to face spawns equivalent to level and difficulty setting in a battle royale,

- Open up contacts at your level - so you could face level 50 Frostfire, Chernobog, Broadkin...

I made a post in support of more dice options at this link.

It features some recent player run events using the current limited dice commands.
Dev time spent implementing any new dice commands would spawn many more events with added fun and complexity. 
It would be a good return on dev time in my book.

• 2 weeks later
  • Retired Lead Game Master
On 12/10/2020 at 12:34 AM, Pizzamurai said:

So uh, There's been lots of suggestions made here. Really good ones I think. Is anyone working towards any of it or are we kinda throwing coins down a big ol' hole of "Would be neat!"? 

🙂

Don't worry, me and Tempest bug the hell out of the devs for more RP stuff incessantly. Just that the devs have a long to-do list.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later
On 12/19/2020 at 4:36 AM, GM Kal said:

Don't worry, me and Tempest bug the hell out of the devs for more RP stuff incessantly. Just that the devs have a long to-do list.

Kal, is  there some sort of way to volunteer for boring busy work to help them implement things? Like i can't program but i have organized plenty of data.

Just trying to think of ways to help a project like this 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later

BLUF: An option to toggle on text bubble coloration for all chat channels, not just the currently selected one.

I use key binds and macros to help facilitate rapid chat-channel or format switching when I RP.

For example I have a bind that opens up a line for local chat, so I can quickly communicate outside of a team when RPing in a crowded area. I also have a few characters with canned one-liners or IC callouts for fast-moving content play.

But one thing that is annoying (not a deal breaker) is that typically these "preformatted" chats don't keep the color of my text bubble; it just defaults to black & white. While I use the key binds across multiple characters, no two characters share the same text bubble coloration. It would be nice to just tick a box in the options menu that made it so no matter what my currently selected chat channel is, when a chat bubble appears it always does so with the proper colors on.

🤔

On second thought, it might also be nice to have this for emote bubbles as well.

• Like 1

On the subject of the 1023 character limit in the Bio, I wholeheartedly agree.  Add to that it should also have a document style layout with boxes for name, age, sex, height and weight, that sort of thing.  Then the Background box, so it looks like an actual document.

I think there should be some way to give players a reason to stop muggings, even the extremely low level ones.  Maybe an Influence reward or a levelled and origin appropriate enhancement drop.  It'd give players an incentve to act out being a hero rather than just sailing on by because the low level stuff doesn't give you anything.

And something to do with Secret Identities would be good too.  Maybe a thread of missions where your character has their idenitity discovered and they need to take steps to deal with it.

6 hours ago, The Batman said:

It'd give players an incentve to act out being a hero rather than just sailing on by because the low level stuff doesn't give you anything.

So two things that someone eventually will bring up with regards to this suggestion:

1) There is some potential- on a sliding scale from "laughable" to "fire farm"- that this could be leveraged for easy cash rather than noble intention.

2) Speaking of noble intentions (and I may be biased, I am a roleplayer after all), isn't the point of heroics to do the thing that is right, regardless of personal benefits? 

I get that basically nobody is running around Atlas on their level 50 dropping tactical smart homing footstomps on Hellions, but unless you're in a rush for something... just do it.  

Or don't and be like Flambeaux.  Lots of Flambeauxes out there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

So two things that someone eventually will bring up with regards to this suggestion:

1) There is some potential- on a sliding scale from "laughable" to "fire farm"- that this could be leveraged for easy cash rather than noble intention.

2) Speaking of noble intentions (and I may be biased, I am a roleplayer after all), isn't the point of heroics to do the thing that is right, regardless of personal benefits? 

I get that basically nobody is running around Atlas on their level 50 dropping tactical smart homing footstomps on Hellions, but unless you're in a rush for something... just do it.  

What might be a cool alternative is the ability to clear out all mobs in a particular neighborhood.  This could trigger a script that prevents the mobs for respawning for X amount of real time and earn the hero(s) that accomplished it a unique badge of some sort.

Hm... but, then again, I guess that would interfere with people getting gladiator/hunt type badges.  Nevermind.  😛

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Some very good points there.  And I do indeed stop to drop a lvl 19 stomp on lvl 1 hellions if I pass them while they're mugging. 

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • Developer

If we're throwing two cents into the wishing well, here are my two big ones:

1. Heavily expanded weapon temp power selection from the P2W vendor: Broadswords, katanas, maces, Arachnos pistol(plz QvQ), crossbows, etc. There are a ton of RP concepts where the character utilizes a minor side-arm, but there are some things literally undoable currently either because there aren't powerset combos that can do it, aren't existing temp powers, or they're not something consistently accessible. These temp powers could be absolutely terrible for damage per activation so they don't cause any balance concerns, but it would make a ton of roleplaying concepts far more possible.

2. PvP FFA toggle command for SG bases: I have a lot of things in my roleplaying comic project I want to convey to the participants; Things like training activities with sparring, or combat aptitude examinations for new recruits. Or other concepts like a certain character being a Nemesis-type (Resident Evil, not our local Prussian Prince of Automatons) where they're just simply a threat we run away from because they're so far out of our league.

Ideally this PvP flag would be less managed than dedicated PvP instances since it only applies in a controlled environment so we can make things like a team exemplered down a few levels to make a 8v1 fight against the big bad more visceral and compelling, confronting them in their throne room in an SG base built to be epic, and having them monologue before throwing the PvP flag up... Would be a delight.

I can say right now if we had PvP flags for SG bases I'd have immediate mileage from it right away in my roleplaying endeavors.

Edited by Nayreia
typos cuz I bad
  • Like 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

• 3 weeks later

I dunno about anyone else, but making the emote "chat bubble" when you do a text emote rather than an action match the chat window would be nice - i.e., insert my character's name into the bubble before the text emote.

So if I type

;jerks her head back in surprise!

the chat window says

Chernobyl Effect jerks her head back in surprise!

but the bubble over my head just says

jerks her head back in surprise!

It's a minor thing, I know.  And I don't know if anyone but me gives two figs.

• Like 4

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.