Why didn't anyone tell me Kinetic Melee is so much fun?!

Strawberry

I leveled to 31 in a day playing Kinetic Melee and I think I've fallen head over heels for the set.

All of the graphics and visuals for the powers are on point. I feel like I'm channeling my inner ki with each and every attack.

Repulsing Torrent might be my new favorite power. To all the ranged knockback sets (I'm looking at you Storm, Energy, FF, Gravity, Illusion, Assault Rifle, etc...) that have their pog face ready with their finger hovering over Gale to start a fight with, I say "Hah!" to you! "HAH!" REPULSING TORRENT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

"Wait!", they say with tears in their eyes. "You r scrapper melee character. You no allowed trolling urself. It my job! Plzzz no steal! That's cheating!"

"HAH!", I respond back!

Very much tempted to slot knockback enhancements into Burst. I think I might have to. I pray u will never group with me, my fellows scrappers.

Can we also talk about my friend Power Siphon. Like, she's not gorgeous, but she's one of those girls that has a really awesome personality and when u r bored at the party you suddenly notice she has kind of a unique style and that tattoo on the nape of her neck is pretty chill and not just a rose or butterfly like every other girl out there. Build up is so bland. I get a boost. "swiggty witty woot",  blah blah blah.  😪😪😪
Power Siphon is like "hey i just heard this cool new band, you should check them out" and you arent really into it cause most people's music taste is so ughhh, but they force u to listen and it's actually really good wtf! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 

But in all honestly, where has this set been my life and why am I a scrapper player now.

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

I hated Jazz hands I really really wanted to like it even got to the 40+ on live I was farming in PI and I could never finish that toon. Yea that was way back the first month they released that set

• Sad 1

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

I have Kinetic Melee/Radiation on a scrapper that is probably my scrapper main.  Basic concept was to make a speedster characcter.  Has five 7.5% movement bonuses so I use Super Speed for stealth.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

34 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I have Kinetic Melee/Radiation on a scrapper that is probably my scrapper main.  Basic concept was to make a speedster characcter.  Has five 7.5% movement bonuses so I use Super Speed for stealth.

If only /sr had a taunt aura I go back and make one the quickness + swift  is so beautiful and fun

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

13 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Can we also talk about my friend Power Siphon. Like, she's not gorgeous, but she's one of those girls that has a really awesome personality and when u r bored at the party you suddenly notice she has kind of a unique style and that tattoo on the nape of her neck is pretty chill and not just a rose or butterfly like every other girl out there. Build up is so bland. I get a boost. "swiggty witty woot",  blah blah blah.  😪😪😪
Power Siphon is like "hey i just heard this cool new band, you should check them out" and you arent really into it cause most people's music taste is so ughhh, but they force u to listen and it's actually really good wtf! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 

This may be the best power description I've ever seen. Did you steal this from a book?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later

I just got into Kinetics as well.  I have a rad/ tanker, and both a /bio and /ice brute.  The ice brute is themed like a bowling ball because I looove knocking bad guys around.  Im probably heading towards a Kin/Ninja scrapper in the very near future too.

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

Now roll it on a Stalker to get a proper hard hitting skill 🙂

Kin/EnA was my first Stalker 50, just a very fun ride.  Sure, no Power Siphon, but it was just a great combo (this kick-started my love of all things Energy Aura, so there's that).

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

• 3 months later

I adore my kinetic/EA/mu main, Astellus. He was pretty end starved in the low-mid levels, but from the mid-30s onward, especially with IOS, that all changed. It feels so fun, although sometimes I wish I had some different animations (just to fit the themes of my character better), and it’s almost exactly the mixed melee/ranged set I always wanted.

As an RP fan, I feel like the kin/EA combo lends well to superheroes with multiple powers (enhanced strength, energy absorption and emanation, invisibility, etc, etc).

How are you feeling about it now a few months later?

• Thumbs Up 1

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

10 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

What about Kin/Bio?

Pretty Crusty?

Strong?

Bio Armor is good a lot stronger with IO sets Kin is a good set but there are preference issues with kin on live it became know as jazz hands for its animations and the set really lacks that big hit feel overall it performs the task and the overall damage output is really good but from a play style and animations some dislike. I fall in the latter camp I tested it in beta and played it live I even got into the 40's on level but it was just meh to me.

Edited by hejtmane

On 9/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, flip said:

Performance wise KM on scrapper is amongst the worst scrapper sets. I'd really highly suggest playing the set on stalker or tanker instead. On stalker in particular, it performs *much much* better.

My, now slotted-out lvl 50 Kinetic Melee Scrapper ain't got no time for that kinda negativity, bro ❤️❤️ u can't stop the vibin' 

• Like 5

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, flip said:

Performance wise KM on scrapper is amongst the worst scrapper sets. I'd really highly suggest playing the set on stalker or tanker instead. On stalker in particular, it performs *much much* better.

well... here's the thing.  the "among the worst" sets?  Still WRECK FACE.

People rag all over /Regen and how it's horrible and everyone should just reroll Willpower.  But you can make a *very* durable /Regen character who still invokes Full Terminator Protocol.

"He'll find her. That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him. He'll wade through you, reach down her throat, and pull her f***ing heart out."

People rag all over Electric Blast or Assault Rifle and how they're the Worst Blast Set.  But they still melt spawns and most groups are never really going to notice the difference in kill speed.

Now if you are a Speed King, and you literaly set timers and measure speeds of map clear?  Okay. You might notice.

I bet quite a big chunk of the player base doesn't time it, and won't really notice.

It's just received wisdom that certain sets are bad, even though they work right fine for how most people play.

• Like 3

For the record Kinetic Melee falls lower on standardized testing because Burst is a long animation with subpar damage, and the Cone has to be corrected for KB. From a ST perspective it shines tremendously which is why it excels on Stalkers (and the ability to critical Burst out of Hide).

KM is capable* of stripping aggro off a Tanker with DPS alone. Back when I had a KM/SR I used to make it a point to try and output as much damage as possible to pull aggro for pure threat by DPS. I could easily jump into a BAF and go full red ring within a few seconds of fighting Siege despite any number of engaged Tankers or Brutes.

*The Gauntlet improvements may have reduced the ease of that task, I don’t really have a ludicrous DPS character anymore to test that on that isn’t a Tanker. Particularly looking at BAF.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

For the record Kinetic Melee falls lower on standardized testing because Burst is a long animation with subpar damage, and the Cone has to be corrected for KB. From a ST perspective it shines tremendously which is why it excels on Stalkers (and the ability to critical Burst out of Hide).

KM is capable* of stripping aggro off a Tanker with DPS alone. Back when I had a KM/SR I used to make it a point to try and output as much damage as possible to pull aggro for pure threat by DPS. I could easily jump into a BAF and go full red ring within a few seconds of fighting Siege despite any number of engaged Tankers or Brutes.

*The Gauntlet improvements may have reduced the ease of that task, I don’t really have a ludicrous DPS character anymore to test that on that isn’t a Tanker. Particularly looking at BAF.

You have mentioned this a few times but I can't say that I felt it. I played a Stalker using only the the first three attacks for ST plus AS. Slotted to have near max damage in order to maximize crits, and then each attack (minus AS that needed the recharge) had no recharge and a minimum of three damage procs, with one of the attacks having four.

It still only gave me 2:30 ish pylon times.

i've managed to get my km/bio stalker* pylon times down to a fairly consistent 120-140 seconds, once getting so low as 113 seconds. throwing away defense for procs, particularly in corrosive vial, let me get those numbers significantly lower, but in a way that really wouldn't feasibly work in actual gameplay. so yeah, KM stalker DPS is pretty good but its hardly top tier. and scrapper is an entirely different story from even that.

Edited by flip

5 hours ago, Sovera said:

still only gave me 2:30 ish pylon times.

First I have to ask what you’re pairing it with, just to clear the possibility of additional benefits. I want to point out that Kinetic Melee doesn’t have the utility to add procs like Achilles’ that many other sets find a way to sneak in. Folks tend to forget that the real raw DPS of a set, and the enhanced values attributed from debuffs are two different things.

There are not many sets that can walk up to something like a Pylon/AV and obliterate it from pure damage at speed. 

Get someone to toss a 20-40% -Res debuff on the pylon to simulate a couple of slotted -Res procs and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

First I have to ask what you’re pairing it with, just to clear the possibility of additional benefits. I want to point out that Kinetic Melee doesn’t have the utility to add procs like Achilles’ that many other sets find a way to sneak in. Folks tend to forget that the real raw DPS of a set, and the enhanced values attributed from debuffs are two different things.

There are not many sets that can walk up to something like a Pylon/AV and obliterate it from pure damage at speed. 

Get someone to toss a 20-40% -Res debuff on the pylon to simulate a couple of slotted -Res procs and see what happens.

It was a KM/Bio Stalker. No -res procs anywhere unfortunately. If I'm not mistaken they don't even get the -res aura.

That said they were pretty fun with the fast animations that flowed like water one into the other.

• 1 month later