What to pair with Invulnerability?

r0y

This will be my 3rd Tank in about 10 days.  I did SR/DM which is OK, when SR doesn't fail.  I am almost 50 on a SD/SM, and I have to say I am enjoying it!  Stone Melee seems to help Shield Defense survive more than it would otherwise, because of all the soft control SM's knockup/down provide.

So I want to make an Invuln Tank next.   I originally thought to pair it with Dark Melee, but I have a lot of DM toons already (least of all that recent SR/DM tank from last week).  So I thought Kinetic Melee.

That lasted until level 10, when I realized KM is not a good pairing for invuln.   Maybe not for anything, really.  Too bad.

I'm thinking Street Justice, as I have a StJ/EA stalker and LOVE that toon!  One of my favorite melee characters.   How is Street Justice on tanks?  I do realize all the melee are better on stalkers, especially since the fast-cast assassin strike being a nice chain filler.

Melee attack sets played (either tank, scrapper, brute, stalker):  War Mace, Energy Melee, Dark Melee, Stone Melee, Claws, Titan Weapons, Psi Melee, Staff, Street Justice.

So I guess I should ask:  What is NOT on that list above that would pair well with Invuln, or is one set just so good it's worth a repeat (e.g. Dark Melee, I'm thinking.  Or spines?)

Thank you in advance for your replies and insight!

What to pair with Invuln?

To quote the Da Nang hooker from Full Metal Jacket.

Anything you want!

Super Strength.  It's just a natural synergy with Invuln.

And you're playing a Tank.

Worrying about maximal damage output is beneath you!

You're THE most survivable AT in the game!

Sure!  You're sanding off HP like some guy going after chrome moly steel with 600 grit sandpaper and elbow grease!

But you'll still be standing at the end and the other guy won't!

:classic_laugh:

They wall work pretty equally well.

Caveat: Some sets are far more AoE-centric.  So if you're building for max toughness, slotting certain sets to bump your Defenses and Resists can be compromised.

This is why I say SS has a natural synergy.  Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, PBAOE Attack (Winter-Os) and a few more to take up your ATIOs.

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I've been running an Invuln/Staff Tank and, without IO sets (using standard non-set IOs), she's been the quickest one that I could up the difficulty on.  Only thing that feels off with her is that there is no NoRedraw option for the attacks.  Also adding that Guarding Strike (the first cone they get) has an enormous area-of-affect and boosts your Def.

As far as your Kinetic Melee thoughts, I'd pair it with a Def-heavy set where the -Dam from the attacks will be more visible (my experience is based on a KM/EnA Stalker).  The math is odd when you're combining -Dam attacks with +Res armors.

Edited by wyldchyld
  • Like 1

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

I'm curious as to why Kinetic Melee doesn't pair with Invulnerability. I would have thought it'd be good. 

I do love SS, but honestly an Inv/SS tank is a dime a dozen. 

Martial Arts isn't bad, as it has an attack that gives 10% defense, that pairs well with Inv.

Street Justice would pair well, but if.you played the set a lot already, that might not be interesting to you.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

21 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I'm curious as to why Kinetic Melee doesn't pair with Invulnerability. I would have thought it'd be good. 

I do love SS, but honestly an Inv/SS tank is a dime a dozen. 

Martial Arts isn't bad, as it has an attack that gives 10% defense, that pairs well with Inv.

Street Justice would pair well, but if.you played the set a lot already, that might not be interesting to you.

A lot of kinetic melee seems to be about knocking stuff away.  Sure, I can sacrifice a slot and convert KB to KD, but sometimes I want to use all 6 slots for a set bonus.  I guess anything *can* work, but it does seem KM looks like it was meant to knock back.  I could be wrong, I've only played KM to the first 3 powers (it seemed slow, long activations).

I was thinking Invuln/Spines.  I do like spines, haven't played it beyond a fire/spines brute famer.  Spines wants to be in the middle of a mob (often), and invuln seems to agree!

Here's my first stab (pun intended), as I have no experience (other than back on live, and that was too long ago) with slotting, etc.  I sacrificed soft-cap defense for more recharge (Winter Sets vs. Purples)... is that a mistake?  I could have soft-capped S/L/F/C and slightly better E/N (34% vs 39%).  But lower defense/higher recharge means more toxic/psi resists... so it's a tough call, I think.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

first-stab (see what I did there?): Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Spines
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(3), RctArm-ResDam(3), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(5), GldArm-3defTpProc(7)
Level 1: Barb Swipe -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(46), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Hct-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 4: Spine Burst -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(45)
Level 6: Dull Pain -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), DctWnd-Heal(40), DctWnd-Rchg(42)
Level 8: Resist Elements -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(11), RctArm-ResDam(15), ImpArm-ResPsi(34)
Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(11), PrfZng-Dam%(27)
Level 12: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Max HP%(15)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Resist Energies -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(23)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 20: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(21), LucoftheG-Def(21)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), ImpArm-ResPsi(29)
Level 26: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(27)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29)
Level 30: Impale -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(31), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Apc-Acc/Rchg(31), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Apc-Dam%(33)
Level 32: Build Up -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Quills -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Arm-Dam%(37)
Level 38: Throw Spines -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 41: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-ToHit(50)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 49: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(9), PwrTrns-+Heal(9)
------------

image.png.a114addefd57cd50f6bba79545e3f5ab.png

Edited by r0y

4 minutes ago, r0y said:

A lot of kinetic melee seems to be about knocking stuff away.  Sure, I can sacrifice a slot and convert KB to KD, but sometimes I want to use all 6 slots for a set bonus.  I guess anything *can* work, but it does seem KM looks like it was meant to knock back.  I could be wrong, I've only played KM to the first 3 powers (it seemed slow, long activations).

I'm surprised by that experience. The first 3 attacks have cast times of 0.83, 1.07, and 1.2 (although arcanatime does hurt them a lot). 

My thought on KM pairing well had to do with the damage debuff. If you are capping your resistances as a tank, the next layer of survivability can come in the form of damage debuffs. If you have 90% resistances and can stack just 21% damage debuff, that equates to you being able to take 26% more damage than a 90% resist tank with no debuff.

As for the Knockback, it looks like only Repulsing Torrent does knockback, everything else is Knockdown. Its possible you were playing -1 level enemies a lot and experienced knockback because of purple patch. For the most part, you shouldn't experience it on harder enemies.

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

5 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I'm surprised by that experience. The first 3 attacks have cast times of 0.83, 1.07, and 1.2 (although arcanatime does hurt them a lot). 

My thought on KM pairing well had to do with the damage debuff. If you are capping your resistances as a tank, the next layer of survivability can come in the form of damage debuffs. If you have 90% resistances and can stack just 21% damage debuff, that equates to you being able to take 26% more damage than a 90% resist tank with no debuff.

As for the Knockback, it looks like only Repulsing Torrent does knockback, everything else is Knockdown. Its possible you were playing -1 level enemies a lot and experienced knockback because of purple patch. For the most part, you shouldn't experience it on harder enemies.

Also, I'm not sure of the Power Siphon mechanic.  A lot of the "newer" mechanics added prior to shutdown seem wonky (e.g. rad melee, psi melee, etc).  I'd rather just have a buildup.  Maybe I'm needing to play this and just see for myself.

So, Invuln/Spines vs. Invuln/KM ?

8 minutes ago, r0y said:

Also, I'm not sure of the Power Siphon mechanic.  A lot of the "newer" mechanics added prior to shutdown seem wonky (e.g. rad melee, psi melee, etc).  I'd rather just have a buildup.  Maybe I'm needing to play this and just see for myself.

So, Invuln/Spines vs. Invuln/KM ?

Modest was working on a KM build today and he mentioned he could maintain 100% damage buff with power siphon, echoing comments Sir Myshkin made in their Tank Proc Monster thread. It's a 120s recharge that lasts 20s, as opposed to a 90s recharge that lasts 10s. The power gives all your KM attacks a 25% damage buff for 10 seconds, which stacks. If you use fast enough attacks (like your T1-T3) you should be able to build up to a strong buff for a decent amount of time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Modest was working on a KM build today and he mentioned he could maintain 100% damage buff with power siphon, echoing comments Sir Myshkin made in their Tank Proc Monster thread. It's a 120s recharge that lasts 20s, as opposed to a 90s recharge that lasts 10s. The power gives all your KM attacks a 25% damage buff for 10 seconds, which stacks. If you use fast enough attacks (like your T1-T3) you should be able to build up to a strong buff for a decent amount of time.

Yeah, I was looking at that.  I'd have to work in the T2 punch and I'll go with the purple IO's over the Winter Sets for more recharge to limit downtime on Power Siphon.  Of course, this all changes the build a bit...

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Jugger Thot: Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Kinetic Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(3), RctArm-ResDam(3), ImpArm-ResPsi(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(5), GldArm-3defTpProc(7)
Level 1: Quick Strike -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(46), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Hct-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 4: Body Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 6: Smashing Blow -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(45)
Level 8: Resist Elements -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(11), RctArm-ResDam(15), ImpArm-ResPsi(34), ImpSki-Status(42)
Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(11), PrfZng-Dam%(27)
Level 12: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Max HP%(15)
Level 14: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 16: Resist Energies -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(23)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 20: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(21), LucoftheG-Def(21)
Level 22: Dull Pain -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), DctWnd-Heal(40), DctWnd-Rchg(42)
Level 24: Power Siphon -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(25)
Level 26: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Burst -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(29), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Rchg(31), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Dam%(33)
Level 30: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33)
Level 32: Tough -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 35: Focused Burst -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Apc-Dam%(37)
Level 38: Concentrated Strike -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 47: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(9), PwrTrns-+Heal(9)
------------

Edited by r0y

I'm admitedly theory crafting a bit. I should defer to others who might have more expertise. I just can see the synergy if you wanted to try a set you havent fully played yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I'm admitedly theory crafting a bit. I should defer to others who might have more expertise. I just can see the synergy if you wanted to try a set you havent fully played yet.

Theory crafting is what keeps me interested in this game!  So many possibilities.  I think you're right:  it's a set I have not played, so I'll do it.  Even though my red flags are going up on the activation times of the heavy hitters (Burst, Focus Burst, Concentrated Strike).  I retired my rad melee toon because of the ungodly activation of the T9 punch.

Thanks, Bopper!

@r0y

As Bopper mentioned, I Pylon tested a build earlier today based on @Sir Myshkin's Kinetic Melee "proc monster" build. I found that a Kinetic Melee attack chain of T3 - T2 - T1 - Gloom - Repeat maintained a damage bonus over 100% at all times. Specifically, the build reached a permanent 100% damage bonus from Power Siphon, a 25% damage bonus for a few seconds of overlap when 5 stacks were reached, an additional 10.5% from Leadership: Assault, and a bit more from set bonuses.

I was testing a proc build, so I'm not sure how this attack chain would translate to a build that was focused on set bonuses and survival. I also had 148.8% global recharge, stacking global recharge from Beta Decay, and the global recharge provided by Ageless. I'm not sure that it would be possible to maintain Power Siphon permanently without those advantages.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, r0y said:

Even though my red flags are going up on the activation times of the heavy hitters (Burst, Focus Burst, Concentrated Strike).

Your "heavy hitters" aren't those abilities, they're your T1, 2, and 3 attacks, and even though they may "feel" slow (I've hear enough folks say this) they're actually animating very quickly; the animations are very deceptive. For all that Concentrated Strike is, you can accomplish the same amount of damage (with less chance of failure/miss) within the T1/2/3 chain of attacks, throw in an assortment of procs and you start overshadowing CS altogether.

In regards to Focused Burst, with the KB>KD conversion IO's available I'd suggest taking Repulsing Torrent instead as it'll have the same range, same animation time, but gives you a second utility for "AoE" compared to FB which has a lower DPA than Quick Strike. If you're interested in taking Gloom, than there's definitely that option too.

In regards to Power Siphon, you'll want the Gaussian's +BU in there, and also a couple of Force Feedback +Rech procs in places like Burst and Quick Strike to help mitigate its recharge as much as possible. Ideally you'll have 20/s of strong buff, and then 10/s of decay as it wears off, and hopefully have its recharge down to 30-33/s to help keep it cycling often enough.

Kinetic Melee is one of the few sets in the game that delivers all of its mass power in its first three attacks, and the rest of the set is flair and filler (for the most part). It also is incredibly altered by play style, two different people can walk into a room with the same build and have a different experience based on how they use the attacks, and when. For a Tank, that can be dragged into the mud even further by not getting Burst until level 28 as that ability is the cornerstone of mob management for Kinetic Melee. Cycle through the spawn on the ST, whittle them down bit by bit, and then drop Burst each time it's up to clear the mobs out and knock them down.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

In regards to Power Siphon, you'll want the Gaussian's +BU in there, and also a couple of Force Feedback +Rech procs in places like Burst and Quick Strike to help mitigate its recharge as much as possible. Ideally you'll have 20/s of strong buff, and then 10/s of decay as it wears off, and hopefully have its recharge down to 30-33/s to help keep it cycling often enough.

All of your reply gave me a lot of food for thought.  The above is the hardest for me to work around, without significantly lowering the defenses/resists.  I understand the logic behind it, and I'm still taking stabs at theory crafting a Tank build that can work while maintaining adequate defense and resistance.

A Brute is easier, as one can split Superior Brute's Fury for 10% (5%x2) melee defense; which allows me to steal slots off the auto-resist powers.  Still, I'd like to keep a tank and I am just having a tough go of it.

Do you happen to have an Invuln/KM build handy?

In my experience Invuln is strong enough that it doesn't need any help from the secondary so really anything should work.  My namesake is Inv/Stone and that's a very solid combination that I've played since 2004.  Street Justice is a nice set, I had a StJ/Invuln Scrapper back on Live that was a lot of fun and quite effective.  Fire Melee is a great option for pure AOE damage... it has nothing to help with survivability but it has really good damage output... since Invuln is quite self sufficient durability wise this is another good choice.  Personally I'm not a big fan of Super Strength due to the Rage mechanic and the fact that it's the main cookie cutter tanker, still lots of people play it and enjoy it.

The only set I would NOT recommend is Energy Melee, that set got nuked into oblivion way back when and has sat at the extreme bottom of all tanker sets ever since.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

17 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

You should totally go Psi Melee to plug Invuln's psi hole!

you're a psi hole...

could not help myself sorry

• Haha 4

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Battle Axe, Dark Melee, Dual Blades, Electrical Melee, Energy Melee, Fiery Melee, Ice Melee, Kinetic Melee, Martial Arts, Psionic Melee, Radiation Melee, Savage Melee, Staff Fighting, Stone Melee, Street Justice, Super Strength, Titan Weapons, War Mace.. so many good choices.

Me: Stone Melee, Super Strength, Fire, Ice..  a fixed energy melee.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 minutes ago, Troo said:

Battle Axe, Dark Melee, Dual Blades, Electrical Melee, Energy Melee, Fiery Melee, Ice Melee, Kinetic Melee, Martial Arts, Psionic Melee, Radiation Melee, Savage Melee, Staff Fighting, Stone Melee, Street Justice, Super Strength, Titan Weapons, War Mace.. so many good choices.

Me: Stone Melee, Super Strength, Fire, Ice..  a fixed energy melee.

I've heard that Energy is getting some attention in the next issue but for now I can not recommend the set.  We'll have to see what the changes look like.  I do hope it gets pulled up out of the cellar where it's currently sitting, right now it's considerably worse than the next worst set.

I know there will always be a last place set but there does need to be a valid reason to choose it.  Right now I can't see any with Energy Melee.  I did play an EM tanker back in issue 6, a Stone/EM.  It was a mediocre set that was redeemed by a very good T8 attack, Energy Transfer.  Once ET was nerfed from a sub-1 second animation to the current nearly 3 second one that benefit went away and it lost it's one saving grace.  After the nerf I shelved my Stone/EM tanker and eventually deleted her, the only level 50 I ever deleted.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Actually, Energy Melee would not be a bad fit to Invuln or Willpower, if only because Invuln's self-heal is so slow in coming that no one relies on it from one spawn to the next, and Willpower just doesn't have one.  You don't want to pair Energy Melee with something like Fire or Dark because you rely a lot more on click heals that way. 

But if you think Dark Melee has been done to death, I'd suggest Radiation Melee in its stead.  You have at least a chance of a self heal in the attack set, and a good mix of single target and AoE. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

18 hours ago, Bopper said:

Back on live, someone posted a theory about Ice/Kinetic/Soul. Chilling Embrace debuffs damage (I forget how much), all your attacks debuff damage, Darkest Night debuffs damage, and then you can even slot the Interface proc that debuffs damage. I forgot what that OP claimed, but I believe it guarantees a 50%+ damage debuff to all enemies. 

43 minutes ago, Camel said:

Back on live, someone posted a theory about Ice/Kinetic/Soul. Chilling Embrace debuffs damage (I forget how much), all your attacks debuff damage, Darkest Night debuffs damage, and then you can even slot the Interface proc that debuffs damage. I forgot what that OP claimed, but I believe it guarantees a 50%+ damage debuff to all enemies. 

I would not be surprised if it's more. Darkest Night on a tank now does 30% damage debuff...and I could be wrong but I think the KM damage debuffs are unresistable (or used to be). Throw in Ice's Chilling Embrace, and you might floor some of the mob to -90% damage debuff. I do that with my defender occasionally, but a tanker could probably do it too.