Black Lives Matter

UltraAlt

23 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

He stated that army recruiters were unable to wear their uniforms to work in big cities currently. I live in New York City. I know from firsthand experience that army personal are still wearing their uniforms. That is the lie he was caught in.

Boston here.  We are under different commands.  I've also been informed other recruiters in Seattle are strongly advised not to wear their uniforms to work and are in business casual wear.  I'm hearing other recruiting stations were told not to wear uniforms but are doing so because the protests didn't target their area but many recruiting stations are still in red status because of the quarantine so you probably won't see many soldiers not taking prospects to MEPs.

You didn't catch anyone in a lie.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SherpaDagger said:

I have a better question...how could you possibly believe it was said "with a vilifying tone"?  Was it the font?

I have an even better question than that...how could you possibly perceive that statement as anything otherwise in reference to the quote it was made under?

36 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

How does one mans death by another man who is an idiot has nothing to do with race?  The guy who did it, complete and utter moron...the rest of civilization over reacts.  People die every day, but why does the death of one man because of his skin color cause such a huge outcry?

George Floyd wasn't killed by "a moron," he was killed by a man with a history of excessive force complaints and by a system that lacked either the ability or the willpower to remove people who CLEARLY should not be in a position of power or authority over anyone. 

I thought the one man died because the other man was a total idiot, I must be wrong.

I feel like three cops don't stand around and let a fourth cop kneel on a dying man's neck for nine minutes because they were "idiots." 

Edited by Machariel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SherpaDagger said:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-post-millennial/

RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

For the most part news articles are sourced properly and factually based, though there is a strong right leaning bias in story selection that denigrates the left and in particular PM Justin Trudeau. The opinion/editorial pages provide little balance and primarily support Conservative and Libertarian positions. Further, the Post Millennial sometimes reports unsubstantiated claims that have not been proven such as this: WATCH: Justin Trudeau allegedly went for drinks with woman Liberals claim is a “white nationalist”.

I did say "quick google search".

If you want a story leaning to your political bias, search the stories yourself.

1 minute ago, Leo_G said:

Boston here.  We are under different commands.  I've also been informed other recruiters in Seattle are strongly advised not to wear their uniforms to work and are in business casual wear.  I'm hearing other recruiting stations were told not to wear uniforms but are doing so because the protests didn't target their area but many recruiting stations are still in red status because of the quarantine so you probably won't see many soldiers not taking prospects to MEPs.

Boston has had one rough evening 10 days ago and has been some of the most peaceful protesting in the nation since.  

Again, have you been assaulted for wearing your uniform in public?  Simple yes or no.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

Please keep this focused on the GMOTD and issues related to that and not unrelated political issues or especially politicians, thanks.

You lost that fight the minute you allowed the thread to exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leo_G said:

I did say "quick google search".

If you want a story leaning to your political bias, search the stories yourself.

Not to mention, this day and age, finding an unbiased source is near impossible. Even media who claim they are unbiased are clearly biased to one side or the other.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leo_G said:

I 100% have seen many army personal wearing their uniforms. So, if this is just for recruiters. That's actually concerning. Does the army realize young generations have a sour taste in their mouth from all the bad politics following the government/military/police force these days? So, in an effort to counter that, they are trying to be the "cool kids" and blend in like...

That's actually so cringe and sort of messed up from our government, but I guess that's a better topic for a different time.

Edited by Strawberry

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

I have an even better question than that...how could you possibly perceive that statement as anything otherwise in reference to the quote it was made under?

Quite easily - he's pointing out the likely lack of perspective behind the statement because it's easy not to see things you're not subjected to (for example, because you're white).  Two times now you have interpreted asking people to question their perspective as an insult or attack.  

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I 100% have seen many army personal wearing their uniforms. So, if this is just for recruiters. That's actually concerning. Does the army realize young generations have a sour taste in their mouth from all the bad politics following the government/military/police force these days? So, in an effort to counter that, they are trying to be the "cool kids" and blend in like...

That's actually concerning, but I guess that's a better topic for a different time.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2019/11/19/rising-costs-dwindling-recruit-numbers-increasing-demands-may-bring-back-the-draft/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/military-recruiting-struggles-enlistment-stations-close-69973543

/ex-army.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Boston has had one rough evening 10 days ago and has been some of the most peaceful protesting in the nation since.  

Again, have you been assaulted for wearing your uniform in public?  Simple yes or no.  

I think it's legitimately a 'don't let them see you in your uniform because the uniform is off-putting in the current political climate and we want these progressive young minds to sign up for the army'. It's weirdly o.O f'd up if you think about it, but that isn't part of this conversation.

Edit - It is not a "don't wear your uniform because you aren't safe", which is what the OP about this was insinuating.

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machariel said:

George Floyd wasn't killed by "a moron," he was killed by a man with a history of excessive force complaints and by a system that lacked either the ability or the willpower to remove people who CLEARLY should not be in a position of power or authority over anyone. 

You are incredibly wrong.  Three cops don't stand around and let a fourth cop kneel on a dying man's neck for nine minutes because they were "idiots." 

George Floyd is also a a criminal whose been in and out of jail for drug charges and robbing a pregnant woman at gunpoint.  He was also trying to pass off counterfeit bills and was high on drugs.  His *LIFE* didn't matter to any of you people, only his death.  If we were civil, we'd be criticizing the "moron" that killed him and not martyring this ex-criminal.  If we were criticizing those cops, we wouldn't have violence in the streets because the cops responsible are in custody standing trial.  Justice is being served.  Equating the rest to some kind of "race tally" is the height of racism.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, SherpaDagger said:

Quite easily - he's pointing out the likely lack of perspective behind the statement because it's easy not to see things you're not subjected to (for example, because you're white).  Two times now you have interpreted asking people to question their perspective as an insult or attack.  

And two times now you would be wrong. There is clearly a defensive tone in this thread and to be honest, I seem to be the only person here who has not given their opinion one way or another, but have rather tried keeping this thread and people's attitudes toward one another at a respectful tone. Also, again, "because you are white" is not an argument that holds any credence. It is an argument by authority that indicates that if you are whtie, you do not have the authority to voice your opinion. Being white is not a disqualification, yet some posters are saying things that indicate otherwise. Even better, what the poster that was accused of being white said, turned out to be very much true. I have interpreted correctly on both statements and defense to those corrections has proven it.

Edited by Solarverse

9 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

No, I haven't been assaulted by protesters.  But I'm more afraid of it happening than some random cop doing their job.

• Sad 1

With all due respect to your opinions, Leo, this particular man isn't the first or only case... He's just one of several at the forefront this time around. 

If it helps with putting things in perspective, consider Breonna Taylor instead. 

• Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 minute ago, Coyotedancer said:

With all due respect to your opinions, Leo, this particular man isn't the first or only case... He's just one of several at the forefront this time around. 

If it helps with putting things in perspective, consider Breonna Taylor instead. 

Exactly.

1 minute ago, Coyotedancer said:

Taylor was a victim of a "No-knock Warrant". By all means, let's talk about the civil rights violation those are.

• Like 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, Frostbiter said:

Taylor was a victim of a "No-knock Warrant". By all means, let's talk about the civil rights violation those are.

Jesus tap dancing christ...Thats the stuff that this IS about, but somehow you all haven't realized that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SherpaDagger said:

I just want a valid source, that's all.

I can't give you a source because I'm not a mind reader.  You're better off reading both sides and making up your own mind (probably not used to that, huh?).  All I know is, violence is happening for a very petty reason and public servants are the most affected.

• Sad 1

Just now, Omega-202 said:

Jesus tap dancing christ...Thats the stuff that this IS about, but somehow you all haven't realized that.  

I haven't? I could have sworn I thought about it before I brought it up. 

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper