Black Lives Matter

UltraAlt

In the small town I live in...three cops have lost their lives in the line of duty over the last two years.   Their lives mattered!  Blue lives matter...black lives matter..ALL Lives matter...but say anything but the second one and you are a "Racist or a bigot!" 

Having said that....this is a game. I do not appreciate the GMS tossing that into the MOTD...but oh well. I don't have to read it and can go on about playing....
I believe my reaction was just a bit of irritation at the intrusion of RL stuff that has divided GOOD people on all sides of the issue! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CrimsonTurkey said:

WTF, I get on CoH to avoid this B.S. I dont want to see it here.

I don't think calling BLM B.S is the hill to die on, chief.

• Like 3

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

12 minutes ago, Leo_G said:

The funny thing is, this is exactly why I don't support the sentiment. Because the only black lives that matter are the ones on fire, the problem ones and not the good ones that should be elevated and celebrated. 

Right, because systemic racism ONLY affects "the problem ones". Tamir Rice sure was a problem one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I'm not going to name names, but when the BLM movement had renewed vigor poured into it with the George Floyd protests, the SG I was in began spamming our Discord chat with hateful comments, which led to me dropping out. I was admittedly worried that since CoH was an older game, maybe the generation of players attached to the game didn't see the world the same way I did.

So, seeing Homecoming support the BLM and seeing a decent amount of quality posts in this thread makes me happy. I'm glad there are some players with the same ethic standards I would hope to expect out of Heroes playing this game. 👊🌈🏳️‍🌈🏴❤️🖤✌️

The issues at large may be more generational, but the CoH community in general has usually been more progressive than other games. You'll find pockets here and there, like your ex-SG mates but I think your typical CoH players has a more flexible mindset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 minute ago, Strawberry said:

I'm not going to name names, but when the BLM movement had renewed vigor poured into it with the George Floyd protests, the SG I was in began spamming our Discord chat with hateful comments, which led to me dropping out. I was admittedly worried that since CoH was an older game, maybe the generation of players attached to the game didn't see the world the same way I did.

So, seeing Homecoming support the BLM and seeing a decent amount of quality posts in this thread makes me happy. I'm glad there are some players with the same ethic standards I would hope to expect out of Heroes playing this game. 👊🌈🏳️‍🌈🏴❤️🖤✌️

Umm, you forget it was the older generations that plowed the way for movements like this to exist. The fight began long before you were born...and long before I was born fo that matter. I thank you the older generations for making it possible for me to stand up or what I believed in when I was young, so that the new generations would have that same right. This is not a generational thing, it is a human kind thing. Always remember this and always remember each generation has their fight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knuckles915 said:

Look, I Play this Game to GET AWAY from the Real world crap that is happening outside of my Walls. It seems I can not even escape this bullshit HERE. WHY??? Why do you feel the need to drag this garbage into CITY OF HEROES????? Do you know what color I am? Do you know how I feel about this shit? YOU HAVE NO IDEA what my feelings are.  I really do not appreciate having one of my last bastions of escape being invaded by REAL WORLD SHIT!!!!! I so NOT appreciate it. I DO NOT approve of it.  And I DO NOT WANT IT HERE in THIS Universe.

This is supposed to be a place where WE(YOUR FAN AND USER BASE) ARE ALL EQUAL!!!!!! And you in your statement have TAKEN THAT AWAY from us.

You have dragged an already unstable being into the public eye by making a statement that We the player base didn't need OR ask for.

You should have kept this where it belongs. IN YOUR OWN HEADS!!!!!

Chief, chill out. This isn't a sane response.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png

Can't we just have our little corner of escapism in this crazy world. Why even inject any real world issues here? There are tons of other places to discuss serious issues, people come here to get away from all that stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

7 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I'm an old gen-x, my wife is a young boomer and we stand, in Pride, with BLM.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

He means real world bullshit in general.

Were it something like more centric to, say, politics? I'd agree. If the MOTD was used to go #MAGA or some other stuff, I'd agree.

• Thanks 1

unknown.png

Just now, Shadeknight said:

Were it something like more centric to, say, politics? I'd agree. If the MOTD was used to go #MAGA or some other stuff, I'd agree.

If a movement is advocating for public policy changes/decisions, it IS politics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

Umm, you forget it was the older generations that plowed the way for movements like this to exist. The fight began long before you were born...and long before I was born fo that matter. I thank you the older generations for making it possible for me to stand up or what I believed in when I was young, so that the new generations would have that same right. This is not a generational thing, it is a human kind thing. Always remember this and always remember each generation has their fight.

Oh 100%. LGBT rights, women's rights, and minority rights have all progressed as much as they did because of the older generations paving the way for the new ones, but I do think new generations are much more progressive these days. So, that is where my fear stepped in. I do regret that I was worried about CoH because of my SG's reaction to George Floyd and BLM, but I was just being honest in my post and my initial thoughts.

• Like 2

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

3 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Chief, chill out. This isn't a sane response.

Dude, DONT call me chief. Im 60% Arapaho Indian. and I find it HIGHLY disrespectful. How about we leave GAME in GAME and Real world in the REAL world. Dont bring the two together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Can't we just have our little corner of escapism in this crazy world. Why even inject any real world issues here? There are tons of other places to discuss serious issues, people come here to get away from all that stuff. 

Exactly. The fact this thread has not been locked honestly baffles the shit out of me...it's not even in the correct subforum.

• Like 2

Just now, arcaneholocaust said:

If a movement is advocating for public policy changes/decisions, it IS politics.

I mean, sure I'll agree there.

But I think the movement of treating people fairly and not, y'know, murdering them isn't 100% political.

• Like 2

unknown.png

5 minutes ago, Boudicia.Dark said:

Right, because systemic racism ONLY affects "the problem ones". Tamir Rice sure was a problem one.

Yep, you've illustrated it quite nicely. Black death is the only avenue we're seen through. Not accomplishments, not success. Rather than seeking justice for all races who are victims, we treat blacks special for their victimhood, the contradicting statistics be dammed. 

• Like 1

People easily take things personally and poorly on the forums and those are about A Game. It's at least possible to reconcile differences in that regard because at the end of the day, CoH players are united over mutual interest in improving the game and it is a minor issue. While most people are united over improving the human experience as well, that is Not an issue where disagreements can be quickly reconciled and is a MAJOR issue. It is not fit to be discussed here.

This is an emotionally charged, contemporary, enormous matter. Because of all the innate anger people have from being suppressed and attacked for so long, because it is a matter centered in something as exclusive and cultural, and impossible to understand without having lived it yourself, even in person the most well meaning person can be subject to intense anger and attack because of how engrained and emotional the suffering is. They'll ask questions, and anger will rise. It's only natural because the suffering will interpret it as scepticism. A lot of people, without being at much fault, Just. Won't. Get. It. Not easily. That's with face to face, real life relationships, tone of voice and all these other humanizing gestures involved.

And it's believed having this conversation through the limitations of cold typography on a video game forum is going to make some kind of progress? 

Stop this. This is inherently futile and seriously inappropriate for an in game platform, some of the damage from disagreements won't heal. There are places to heartfully express ongoing real issues, this isn't it.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

I mean, sure I'll agree there.

But I think the movement of treating people fairly and not, y'know, murdering them isn't 100% political.

If I thought the evidence supported the notion that “murder is bad” was the extent of BLM’s platform, I’d probably have to give you that one.

EDIT: I can’t believe I have to explain this but I would like to go ahead and point out that I am indeed anti-murder.

Edited by arcaneholocaust
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Boudicia.Dark said:

I'm an old gen-x, my wife is a young boomer and we stand, in Pride, with BLM.

'50-year-old Southern white chick here... and damned right. 

I understand some player's desire to keep the "real world" and all of its stresses out of the game. I really do... The City is, in a lot of ways, my escape, too. But the City is made of people and the truth of it is that this is something that's important to more than a few of those people.

As long as we can collectively keep our cool, I think its worth talking about. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

'50-year-old Southern white chick here... and damned right. 

I understand some player's desire to keep the "real world" and all of its stresses out of the game. I really do... The City is, in a lot of ways, my escape, too. But the City is made of people and the truth of it is that this is something that's important to more than a few of those people.

As long as we can collectively keep our cool, I think its worth talking about. 

How about talking about it SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!! And Not in the COH forums. This is supposed to be for CITY OF HEROES!!!!! Not Real world Politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Well to be fair, comic books have long been a means of expression in support of liberal movements. I mean the X men were in fact from the beginning meant to inspire counter culture and liberal movements. And unlike say a sword and sorcery setting, CoH like comics is set in a world based on our own modern reality. As such we tend to use a lot more from RL in the creation of character concepts and backgrounds.

Look at for example Daredevil, touches on human trafficking and sexual slavery. Jessica Jones touches on mind control and full on sexual assault via super powers. Luke Cage well, Im wondering about now if Disney is wondering if they shouldnt reconsider forcing Netflix to cancel that one right about now.

Comics typically touch upon real world crimes frequently, I know I can recall reading an issue of batman as a 12 or 13 year old that was about a modern day jack the ripper copycat murdering working girls on the streets of Gotham. Thats pretty mature stuff and certainly not really promoting escapism from the brutality of the real world.

• Like 2