Black Lives Matter

UltraAlt

6 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Not all Native Americans are insulted when referred to as Indians. I have heard Cherokee Indians (also known as Tsa-la-gi) refer to themselves as Indian or Native Americans. Mostly they describe themselves as Cherokee. I think people being offended by being called Indian is more of a new generational thing, as the ones that I know (I myself am part Cherokee and had many friends from the tribe in my younger years) or rather knew never gave it a second thought...at least not outwardly.

P.S. Granted, this is Tennessee and Kentucky, nowhere near Nevada. The native tribes there may feel differently.

Amazing statement. I spent years just outside of a Rez and NONE of us ever had a problem with being called "Indian" My whole childhood I kind of wore it as a badge of Honor. My mother and Grand mother as well. I wear the badge proudly. And I dont need some guilt ridden individual to try and make me feel BAD for being who I am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - attributed to Edmund Burke

HC has done nothing unusual here. The list of companies and organizations making similar statements is simply massive. I can't get through an episode on Discovery Channel without seeing a BLM message. If you're turning your back on all of them, you're going to make yourself dizzy in a hurry.

Messages like this can be uncomfortable reminders of real world problems to those of us with the luxury to turn away, but they're also necessary ones sometimes. All these messages coming from people and companies all over the world serve as an important counter to those who are trying to build echo chambers and sell extremist views to their followers. Each one individually means little, but as a whole they form a tapestry that serves to reflect just how far the extremist's view is from the "silent majority".

Is there someplace we can contribute to buying the GMs a round of brews? I get the feeling that this is going to be a long day for them.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

" can't help but think about what the BLM is calling out. That there is an entire group of people that can't escape. That people are looked at first as suspicious just because of the colour of their skin, doesn't matter if they are a student, a mom, a delivery person, a firefighter, a police chief, or a member of Congress. Because they are black."

Boom - nailed it.

Let's call "escaping the real world" what it is: a privilege.  To privilege, equity feels like oppression.

Edited by SherpaDagger
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Chief, chill out. This isn't a sane response.

Being 1/4 Cherokee I resent you overusing the word chief.

Jk I really dont care. 😀

There is plenty of bad stuff in the world, we dont need it here.  Thats just my opinion.  I try to avoid it because ultimately my opinion doesn't matter and someone somewhere no matter what it is will disagree with it any way and I want to have fun here and forget that stuff like that exists in the world and avoid confrontations of that nature.

For just a little while any way.

Unless its nerfing regen I'll argue for that any way any time.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Knuckles915 said:

Well think s about this. Think what is going to happen When NC soft gets wind of this. What happens when NC soft hears that CITY OF HEROES is picking sides in this nonsense? I really hope they are as "Understanding" as our development team. I bet they are going to be REALLY interested to see that this is dragging their name into an Arena it doesn't want to be in. This Really does need to be put to an end. It is already getting out of hand. This should honestly have never been let to happen. I have several friends on the GM staff who have themselves aired concerns about this VERY THING happening. They ALSO believe it should never have been allowed to happen. And now they will be the ones left to pick up the pieces.

Before you make assumptions about NCSoft's corporate position on the issue, I suggest you have a look at the statements made by the company's Aion team.

• Like 4

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 minute ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I for one have never given a second thought to leaving the house to go shopping or to go to work, never had to worry about getting pulled over for an illegal turn, never had to worry about going out for a walk in any neighborhood much less my own, if I was going to make it home alive. Because I'm white.

I try to put myself in other people's shoes, but in this case it is difficult when I don't experience to world and treatment others do simply because of the colour of their skin.

Wholly an exaggeration. 

If you look at the statistics, the ones that make people gasp and clutch their bleeding hearts, yes, black people end up in situations with cops more often... And the commit more of the violent crime. No, I'm not saying all incidents are because of that, but the BLM movement is mostly hijacked by people with a political agenda. The lives don't matter, it's the death. If we truly cared about the problem, we'd be looking at the policing and not the color of the people being policed. 

I'll just go on the record and say I've never worried about being kill by a random cop. I fear some other crazy person wanting what I have and trying to rob me. It just so happens people of my own race might enact violence to get it. 

• Like 3

I'm of the opinion that this doesn't belong here for several reasons. I support the movement but unless HC has plans for real world support of some sort then I can't help but see this as lip service. It's unhelpful and just checking a box off in order to say it's been done. Nothing will be accomplished with this. My unfiltered opinion about lip service would undoubtedly get me talked at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, SherpaDagger said:

Boom - nailed it.

Let's call "escaping the real world" what it is: a privilege.  To privilege, equity feels like oppression.

Again, downplaying people's views to "privilege" is not how to hold a conversation. You are basically saying that their views don't matter because they are "privileged" and does not serve to add any real credence to the conversation. Let's try and hold the discussion without labeling people, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Knuckles915 said:

Just lost my Financial support on this project. Im sure mine isnt the only financial support they will lose. Maybe if they stop feeling the need to be political they can win it back.

Tell you what, if you or anyone else who threatens to stop supporting HC over their BLM statement can establish proof you've actually contributed, I will gladly pay for your absence.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I agree that sometimes I don't really want real world events to creep into my leisure time.

But in terms of letting politics affect your life, on one hand you have... a supportive text message in a video game reminding you that the real world exists, and on the other hand, you have people being killed in the street.  So even if it does make me uncomfortable (and I'll admit it does, because being confronted with privilege always is), it's like... whatever.  If you don't want to see this stuff in games then let's solve the problem in real life.

• Like 3

The part that surprises me the least about this thread is the posters who have gotten the most bent out of shape over the statement on the MOTD.  If you gave me a list of forum handles and asked me to pick who would have come out against the statement of support, I'd be batting a solid 90% so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

Again, downplaying people's views to "privilege" is not how to hold a conversation. You are basically saying that their views don't matter because they are "privileged" and does not serve to add any real credence to the conversation. Let's try and hold the discussion without labeling people, please.

Nope.  Pointing out privilege is core to the discussion, and has nothing to do with labeling people, it refers to an attitude or perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, roleki said:

Tell you what, if you or anyone else who threatens to stop supporting HC over their BLM statement can establish proof you've actually contributed, I will gladly pay for your absence.

First, I feel like that was uncalled for. It's basically saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" and equates to, "your views don't matter." I would also like to add that there is more than one way to contribute to the game/HC. For an example, but not limited to, I have created a lot of SFX mods for this server, but have not been able to get my foot in the door to contribute financially. So I contribute in my own way and I gladly give my time to create SFX mods for the whole community.

People have a right to feel the way they feel about a subject. If you don't agree with somebody leaving the game over it or stopping their funding over it, the best thing to do is to just leave it be. To say anything negative at all just stirs up the pot IMO.

6 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Being 1/4 Cherokee I resent you overusing the word chief.

Jk I really dont care. 😀

There is plenty of bad stuff in the world, we dont need it here.  Thats just my opinion.  I try to avoid it because ultimately my opinion doesn't matter and someone somewhere no matter what it is will disagree with it any way and I want to have fun here and forget that stuff like that exists in the world and avoid confrontations of that nature.

For just a little while any way.

Unless its nerfing regen I'll argue for that any way any time.

How about nerfing regen in RL? Have you read about the almost magical powdered pig matrix particles? They have been used to completely regen the end of a finger that was severed on an old man, the new finger tips knuckle was completely free of the arthritis present in the rest of the hand. Its also been used to grow back about 30% of the lost tissue and muscle of a soldier who lost a leg to an IED.

Its still got a long way to go, but one day regen might seem like it needs to be buffed in game just to reflect the real world version of it;)

3 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

The part that surprises me the least about this thread is the posters who have gotten the most bent out of shape over the statement on the MOTD.  If you gave me a list of forum handles and asked me to pick who would have come out against the statement of support, I'd be batting a solid 90% so far.

Come on now, forum stereotyping?

All Posts Matter!

Especially NERF REGEN

2 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

How about nerfing regen in RL? Have you read about the almost magical powdered pig matrix particles? They have been used to completely regen the end of a finger that was severed on an old man, the new finger tips knuckle was completely free of the arthritis present in the rest of the hand. Its also been used to grow back about 30% of the lost tissue and muscle of a soldier who lost a leg to an IED.

Its still got a long way to go, but one day regen might seem like it needs to be buffed in game just to reflect the real world version of it;)

dang, how do i get me some of that pig magic?

Edited by Infinitum

Just now, Bentley Berkeley said:

This is probably the one post in this thread that actually has a place on this forum.

2 minutes ago, SherpaDagger said:

Nope.  Pointing out privilege is core to the discussion, and has nothing to do with labeling people, it refers to an attitude or perspective.

I disagree. It demeans an individuals view points at its very core by giving them a label that fully speaks volumes as to its meaning. "You are privileged, so your opinion doesn't matter." You can disagree, but this is the way the word "privileged" has been used since the day it was used in a political discussion. It is also unfair to call somebody privileged, since honestly you have no idea what that individual has been through in their lives.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Before you make assumptions about NCSoft's corporate position on the issue, I suggest you have a look at the statements made by the company's Aion team.

I have withdrawn all my support from NCSoft. Besides, Since City Of heroes whas shut down from live? All their games are shit.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Machariel said:

I agree that sometimes I don't really want real world events to creep into my leisure time.

But in terms of letting politics affect your life, on one hand you have... a supportive text message in a video game reminding you that the real world exists, and on the other hand, you have people being killed in the street.  So even if it does make me uncomfortable (and I'll admit it does, because being confronted with privilege always is), it's like... whatever.  If you don't want to see this stuff in games then let's solve the problem in real life.

Funny you mention solving problems. You know what I'm afraid of at this moment? Being an Army recruiter in a big city. We can't even wear our uniforms to work anymore 🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Monos King said:

I should just clarify I find this thread itself to be the issue for aforementioned reasons, and not the GMOTD. That's an appreciated gesture of support. This is troublesome.

Very nice break down of what is true. Thank you. Hopefully this statement does not escape people's eye.

Just now, Solarverse said:

First, I feel like that was uncalled for. It's basically saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" and equates to, "your views don't matter." I would also like to add that there is more than one way to contribute to the game/HC. For an example, but not limited to, I have created a lot of SFX mods for this server, but have not been able to get my foot in the door to contribute financially. So I contribute in my own way and I gladly give my time to create SFX mods for the whole community.

People have a right to feel the way they feel about a subject. If you don't agree with somebody leaving the game over it or stopping their funding over it, the best thing to do is to just leave it be. To say anything negative at all just stirs up the pot IMO.

Fair enough, I'll wear that all damn day, every day.

• Like 4

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!