Black Lives Matter

UltraAlt

10 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Can't we just have our little corner of escapism in this crazy world. Why even inject any real world issues here? There are tons of other places to discuss serious issues, people come here to get away from all that stuff. 

Yeah, seriously.  The closest thing this game should see to real-world politics is "let's go beat up some imaginary Nazis".  Everything else?  You have the rest of the damn internet to jabber on about the issue of the day, don't pollute CoH with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Knuckles915 said:

How about talking about it SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!! And Not in the COH forums. This is supposed to be for CITY OF HEROES!!!!! Not Real world Politics.

I have been, for what it's worth... But I don't see the reason for a hard line between one space and another. Obviously you have a different opinion.

• Like 5

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'm not saying give BB an automatic pass on their opinion or dismiss them outright, but the entire time I've been here, Bentley has proven to take the game and its lore much more seriously than your typical rando.  Their consternation regarding Blue Steel is totally in-character, whether you view it as tilting at windmills or not.

And while a part of me wishes that politics were still just our vote and nothing more, fact is, things are the way they are because that... stoicism(?) made it easier for institutional racism to fester in plain sight.  Worse, when oblique racism goes unopposed, it reinforces that behavior and encourages further, more overt racism. 

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Just now, Strawberry said:

You don't even post on the forums @Knuckles915. You have 7 posts total and 5 are on this thread 🤔

Wow, short sighted. Do you have any idea who I am? Ohhh thats right. YOU DON'T.  LEts pretend like you dont have more than one account. Wait, lets pretend like 90% of the SERVER doesnt have more than 1 account. Uhhh huh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My two cents, for what its worth.

Are there bad cops? Certainly. But I think the good ones far outnumber the bads. Even other police condemn what happened, pretty much on a national scale. And people are still giving them grief, even after some police themselves are supporting BLM.

Do I think violence is a pathway for advancement? No. Most certainly not. More deaths, violence, robberies, assaults and what have you, should not be tools for any cause to rally behind to my mind. Those don't "enhance" any cause, it only corrupts them. 

Black lives matter. But so do blue lives. And so does everyone's. Should police be held to the same standards and accountability as the everyone? Yes. In fact I would argue moreso because of the public trust and authority they have been granted. And perhaps a cost to cost audit of every police precinct might not be a bad idea. But with that, I don't think we should abolish the force who helps people in their most dire of need. 

The longer the violence persists, the worst it will be when the dust settles. I do think that police forces do need to be more aggressive with "weeding out the bad ones". Policemen with multiple complaints of abuse, excessive use of force, abuse of authority, and whatnot should be investigated. But, people need to respect police more to. 

We have had this discussion in my supergroups discord, and it did not go well. Some people will not accept a "neutral" stance, whatsoever. It's very much a "if you arent with us, youre against us." When I support Black lives matter, but I am against all the random chaos, violence, and anarchy going on right now. People have died out there from it, on both sides.

Just how I see things. I just wish the violence will stop, but I don't think it will soon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Knuckles915 said:

Wow, short sighted. Do you have any idea who I am? Ohhh thats right. YOU DON'T.  LEts pretend like you dont have more than one account. Wait, lets pretend like 90% of the SERVER doesnt have more than 1 account. Uhhh huh.

Do people actually have more than one account that don't multibox? Now I'm curious. I should make a thread on that. I personally just have the one. It's crazy how many character slots are available in this game. I've never felt I needed more. 

• Like 2

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

1 minute ago, Strawberry said:

Do people actually have more than one account that don't multibox? Now I'm curious. I should make a thread on that. I personally just have the one. It's crazy how many character slots are available in this game. I've never felt I needed more. 

People power level themselves with their second account. It's actually rather common.

• Like 1

Just now, Solarverse said:

People power level themselves with their second account. It's actually rather common.

As in multiboxing, right? I can definitely see how more than one account would be wanted in that case. I just play on my laptop. So, just the one for me.

• Like 1

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

I love many things about the United States, but American imperialism being on overdrive lately makes it really hard to reconcile that love with a want for sovereignty, freedom and liberty of expression.

Some of the self-righteous posters ITT could do well to try to have some perspective.

To Americans, this is a "blue team" / "red team" issue. To much of the rest of the world, this is just another illustration you hold us by the balls, dictate our domestic policies, twist our cultures into a bad copy of yours, subvert our democracies with money. To add insult to injury, you herald yourselves as moral paragons as you do so.

There has been a lot of distastefulness from American companies as of late. Some even shutting down their international services in "solidarity". Nevermind that many people rely on these services for their livelihood - nevermind that our economies aren't as strong as the US, and in large part due to the US. Even from those who claim to want a borderless world, solidarity strangely seems to stop at national borders.

In comparison, Homecoming's statement is fairly mild and respectful. Thank you for that. We're getting to play the game for free and this is your private server, so you'd be completely within your rights to plaster #BLM banners everywhere if that's what you wanted. Appreciate the restraint and a level of professionalism over most "professionals".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Knuckles915 said:

Dude, DONT call me chief. Im 60% Arapaho Indian. and I find it HIGHLY disrespectful. How about we leave GAME in GAME and Real world in the REAL world. Dont bring the two together.

Odd, I live in Nevada, and have grown up , lived around, and known no few few members of the tribes. Not one has ever used the word indian to describe the tribal peoples of the Americas. That is something typically I only hear the real old cowboytypes around my area who are bigots towards the tribal peoples use when talking about the natives of this region. I mean Im only very little myself as my great grandmother was the last to be born on reservation land and live in that world. I certainly dont self describe as native. But I certainly do find the term Indian directed at people other than those born in the country of India, as far more insulting than an innocently said Chief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nihilii said:

To much of the rest of the world, this is just another illustration you hold us by the balls, dictate our domestic policies, twist our cultures into a bad copy of yours, subvert our democracies with money.

Kinda like lots of other countries do lol

6 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Odd, I live in Nevada, and have grown up , lived around, and known no few few members of the tribes. Not one has ever used the word indian to describe the tribal peoples of the Americas. That is something typically I only hear the real old cowboytypes around my area who are bigots towards the tribal peoples use when talking about the natives of this region. I mean Im only very little myself as my great grandmother was the last to be born on reservation land and live in that world. I certainly dont self describe as native. But I certainly do find the term Indian directed at people other than those born in the country of India, as far more insulting than an innocently said Chief.

Not all Native Americans are insulted when referred to as Indians. I have heard Cherokee Indians (also known as Tsa-la-gi) refer to themselves as Indian or Native Americans. Mostly they describe themselves as Cherokee. I think people being offended by being called Indian is more of a new generational thing, as the ones that I know (I myself am part Cherokee and had many friends from the tribe in my younger years) or rather knew never gave it a second thought...at least not outwardly.

P.S. Granted, this is Tennessee and Kentucky, nowhere near Nevada. The native tribes there may feel differently.

Edited by Solarverse

3 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Kinda like lots of other countries do lol

A lot hm? You relize in the world today only 3 true mega powers exist right? The U.S., China, and Russia. Only we 3 truly have the massive land, resources, and populations to be considered as such. Hell the U.K. has basically become an antithesis of its old colonial imperialistic ways to save face in this modern world. Hence ofcourse the push back there from their far right bigots who hate seeing their country invaded by foreign people and culture, when they had no issue pushing their people and culture onto the world for centuries.

You know... reading this thread and seeing comments to the order of "I come here to escape real world bullshit."

I can't help but think about what the BLM is calling out. That there is an entire group of people that can't escape. That people are looked at first as suspicious just because of the colour of their skin, doesn't matter if they are a student, a mom, a delivery person, a firefighter, a police chief, or a member of Congress. Because they are black.

I for one have never given a second thought to leaving the house to go shopping or to go to work, never had to worry about getting pulled over for an illegal turn, never had to worry about going out for a walk in any neighborhood much less my own, if I was going to make it home alive. Because I'm white.

I try to put myself in other people's shoes, but in this case it is difficult when I don't experience to world and treatment others do simply because of the colour of their skin.

The HC devs made a statement as to where they stand and a player came here and expressed their support. I support BLM right along with them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Well think s about this. Think what is going to happen When NC soft gets wind of this. What happens when NC soft hears that CITY OF HEROES is picking sides in this nonsense? I really hope they are as "Understanding" as our development team. I bet they are going to be REALLY interested to see that this is dragging their name into an Arena it doesn't want to be in. This Really does need to be put to an end. It is already getting out of hand. This should honestly have never been let to happen. I have several friends on the GM staff who have themselves aired concerns about this VERY THING happening. They ALSO believe it should never have been allowed to happen. And now they will be the ones left to pick up the pieces.

You should never have picked a SIDE. In doing so you are literally alienating thousands of people who only come here to escape the real world. I dont care which side YOU are on. This is not the place for it. Pro cop/Anti Cop. NOT HERE. Unless its an IN GAME RP thing. Leave the real world in the Real world please.

How many of you actually play yourself in the game? How many DUDES play hot chicks in game? And why? TO ESCAPE REALITY!!! Why do tiny guys in real life play giant Hulking STONE beasts in game? TO ESCAPE REAL LIFE!!!!!! Why do CEO's play City of heroes? Why do baby sitters? Or construction workers? Or COPS AND SOLDIERS???? TO ESCAPE REAL LIFE!!!!! So when I say, PLEASE leave BLM and ANTIFA and The LEFT and the RIGHT and democrats and repubs OUT OF CITY OF HEROES its BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO SEE IT HERE!!!!!!!

Seriously, you should Lock this form and any others that spring from it. You are literally allowing the real world to tear a rift in our community. And a community divided CAN NOT STAND!!!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Not all Native Americans are insulted when referred to as Indians. I have heard Cherokee Indians (also known as Tsa-la-gi) refer to themselves as Indian or Native Americans. Mostly they describe themselves as Cherokee. I think people being offended by being called Indian is more of a new generational thing, as the ones that I know (I myself am part Cherokee and had many friends from the tribe in my younger years) or rather knew never gave it a second thought...at least not outwardly.

P.S. Granted, this is Tennessee and Kentucky, nowhere near Nevada. The native tribes there may feel differently.

I think for my area it has more to do with the history of the Stewart Indian school. It was one of those places tribal children got forcibly taken to, to be educated and taught to live like the white man. It was only shut down in the 1950s,and a great many elder alive today lived through basically being abducted from their home and forced to go to that place. It still stands in Carson City as a museum both to the traditions of the tribes of this area, and the injustices they suffered.

• Like 1