How about some bone control?

Greycat

For the heck of it, and something else "necro-"related ... Yeah, these would require a bit of work and custom animation, but it might be fun and open some character concepts for folks.

For now, I'm calling it bone control. It does, admittedly, need a less grade-school-juvenile-snicker name. 🙂 Thinking damage would be lethal, possibly with "chance of toxic" as a side effect.

1. Ring Fingers - standard ranged, moderate DOT (probably lethal,) ST immobilize.
Small bone spikes (or hands) hold your target immobile.

2. Bone Cage - standard ST hold.
Cage made of curved bones (or, alternate, a skeletal hand) ST hold.

3. Bone Rings - TAoE group immob.
Group of "ring fingers," standard targeted AOE Immob.

4. Grave dirt
Fling grave dirt into the faces of your enemies. Either cone or taoe, -percep/-tohit, if we're doing the "chance for toxic," makes that chance 100%. (Potential disorient if it needs more?)

5. Turned Earth
Turn the soil under your enemies' feet into freshly turned earth. -speed, -def, DOT (similar to caltrops.)

6. Grave chill
Minor dmg, -speed, -dmg, likely a cone. (Might even throw -regen in there.)

7. Bone Prison
PBAOE bone cages.

8. =Insert fancy name here=
Toggle, PBAOE DOT. You're surrounded by a whirlwind of bone fragments which do damage to enemies in range.

9. Grave knights
Thinking of snagging the two Grave Knights from Necro. Slight graphic change (bone-looking swords,) with of course lethal/toxic dmg on the attacks.

Not married to the order or specific details, just felt like throwing a set together for the heck of it.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Maybe "Grave Control" or "Graveyard Control" or something like that?  "Death Control"  "Undeath Control"?  Maybe this could be spirit/ghost themed, or have options for that?  
For the whirlwind power in number 8, maybe "Mortal Coil" (and have it be a cylinder-shaped field of bone fragments), or "Reaper's Whirlwind".  
Also, maybe change the name of the pet power to "Vengeful Dead" or something, to clarify the distinction from the Grave Knights MM power?

IDK.  It sounds pretty cool!  I really want a rib-cage-shaped Bone Cage for number 2, though, or else what is this even for? 😛

Edited by Shocktacular

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

I coudn't decide, so I figured... hey, graphics option. 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

9 hours ago, Greycat said:

1. Ring Fingers - standard ranged, moderate DOT (probably lethal,) ST immobilize.

Ring Fingers

oh no

oh no...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

I had a couple more ideas:
"Necromantic Control" for a set name.
For the PBAoE hold... maybe, if you want to tweak it for a graveyard theme, have the enemies Held in tombstones (kinda like Fossilize, except with tombstones instead of lumps of rock) and call it "Entomb".  Then you could use "Bone Prison" for number 1, or maybe for number 2 and switch "Bone Cage" to number 1 (because, TBH, "Ring Fingers" isn't all that great a name).

I know it's easier to edit and to critique than to create, so props and kudos to Greycat for coming up with this in the first place!

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!

For the pet.... I wouldn't want this to feel like it's stealing tooo much of the Necromancy MM's thunder. 

What I WOULD like though, is some kind of "Field of Bone", that's like Carrion Creepers, but bone-themed vs plant themed.

#8 I would absolutely call Bone Shield, in honor of the Diablo 2 Necromancer. 

#4.... I dunno.  Conceptually, throwing dirt feels more like a melee distraction tactic, not like a staple of a controller.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MTeague said:

#4.... I dunno.  Conceptually, throwing dirt feels more like a melee distraction tactic, not like a staple of a controller.

I was riffing off of Smoke, from Fire control, with a touch of set flavor.

8 hours ago, MTeague said:

Maybe make it bone dust instead, and add a fear component representing that the enemies realize that they're now surrounded by / covered in / breathing the remains of dead people.

Edited by Shocktacular

17 hours ago, MTeague said:

#8 I would absolutely call Bone Shield, in honor of the Diablo 2 Necromancer.

@Greycat

Wall of Bone

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 7/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, Greycat said:

For the heck of it, and something else "necro-"related ... Yeah, these would require a bit of work and custom animation, but it might be fun and open some character concepts for folks.

For now, I'm calling it bone control. It does, admittedly, need a less grade-school-juvenile-snicker name. 🙂 Thinking damage would be lethal, possibly with "chance of toxic" as a side effect.

2. Bone Cage - standard ST hold.
Cage made of curved bones (or, alternate, a skeletal hand) ST hold.

3. Bone Rings - TAoE group immob.
Group of "ring fingers," standard targeted AOE Immob.

4. Grave dirt
Fling grave dirt into the faces of your enemies. Either cone or taoe, -percep/-tohit, if we're doing the "chance for toxic," makes that chance 100%. (Potential disorient if it needs more?)

5. Turned Earth
Turn the soil under your enemies' feet into freshly turned earth. -speed, -def, DOT (similar to caltrops.)

6. Grave chill
Minor dmg, -speed, -dmg, likely a cone. (Might even throw -regen in there.)

7. Bone Prison
PBAOE bone cages.

8. =Insert fancy name here=
Toggle, PBAOE DOT. You're surrounded by a whirlwind of bone fragments which do damage to enemies in range.

9. Grave knights
Thinking of snagging the two Grave Knights from Necro. Slight graphic change (bone-looking swords,) with of course lethal/toxic dmg on the attacks.

Not married to the order or specific details, just felt like throwing a set together for the heck of it.

For 1, 2, 3, & 7: you may need to throw some -ToHit in there. Either that and go -regen for these and 6.

For #4 call it Ashes to Ashes, TAoE. Adding Toxic damage and chance for disorient would basically make it almost Smoke+Hot Feet in one...

Grave Chill may need a rework, it is too Supporty and not Controlly enough. It could work, but maybe a fear cone would be more appropriate.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 7/18/2020 at 5:56 AM, Shocktacular said:

Maybe "Grave Control" or "Graveyard Control" or something like that?  "Death Control"  "Undeath Control"?  Maybe this could be spirit/ghost themed, or have options for that?  

These sound more effective as some of the powers listed just throw dirt around, not bone.  I'd be inclined for "talker" or "whisperer", like "Bone Talker" or "Death Whisperer".

On 7/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, Lines said:

#8 is called bone zone or I'm out.

I was hoping for "bonado".  

On 7/19/2020 at 10:31 AM, MTeague said:

What I WOULD like though, is some kind of "Field of Bone", that's like Carrion Creepers, but bone-themed vs plant themed.

Field of skeletal arms reaching from the upturned earth.   If you wanted to use the Creepers wireframes, then have these unnaturally long arms formed of many bones stacked and with bony hands at the end to erupt from the upturned earth.  Alternatively, and hilariously, you could have a field of bone legs rise up unexpectedly and repeatedly, and boot opponents, causing a knockdown effect.

A couple of other thoughts:

You could have a multi-strike range power function like a small scale Incarnate Ion lightning strike.  Instead of hitting 40 guys though, more like 5 to 7.  If you're going to be a bone whisperer, have a sharpened shard of bone rapidly strike targets like Yondu's arrow in "Guardians of the Galaxy".  Maybe toss in a short hold to act like a shocked paralysis after getting struck.

Bones don't have to be just humanoid.  We've got wireframes for animals as well.  Why not temporarily summon "Pet Cemetery", where a host of canines and/or felines run chaotically around, effectively damaging and knocking down enemies.  It might function a bit like "gang war" but designed for a controller, not a mastermind.

Actually, I think this power set would pair very well with one someone listed in detail back in the original game:  chain fighter.   Wish I had a copy of that concept layout from the original forums.   Of course, you'd have a ton of Ghost Rider clones cruising around.