Crazy limitations you put on yourself while playing

Anyone else put crazy limitations on themselves while playing?  A few I've done since returning back to CoH...

1)Wouldn't allow myself to make a single Alt, until my old Main from Live was level 50 on Homecoming.

2)Current character (31 dark/dark defender) is not using anything from P2W vendor, no double xp, no farms, no AE.  Just story Arcs, and the occasional Event Team like Nemesis Invasions, Winter Lord, etc.  Pretty much Story Arcs only for her.  

3)Not allow myself to play after midnight, cuz I know that is just gonna end up in the "Just one more mission syndrome" and next thing you know its 6am. 😄

Anyone else do anything similar?

• Haha 1

totally depends on the toon. I have:

a toon that only does AE (farms/arcs)
a toon that only does street sweeping, and newspaper (radio to you bluesiders)... no story arcs

a toon that has no set bonuses or IOs from sets
some toons that only pick certain powers based on theme/concept

some toons don't team at all, and some only play in teams
some toons that don't pick ancillary/patron pools (and are not Khelds)
and a toon that does Hard Core
- no help from alts (inf/IOs)
- no def/survival enhancer, XP boost from P2W
- no DFB
- no buying of recipes or purchases from AH
- no Reveal until red markers show up, even then it's optional
- no deaths

for general gaming, I try to:
• log off with alts at a level that is a multiple of 5 (so all my alts are either 5 or 10 after creation, the 5-6 alts I currently play are 15, 25, 45... etc) except after 45, because it's slower then... unless RL forces me to leave right away.
• use costume pieces only once. Yeah, this doesn't work so well, but I try to force myself to utilise less popular costume pieces

• Like 1

Sounds more like reasonable limitations, in order to maintain balance in your life. Playing a game is best treated as a reward for going good work (i.e., chores and job).

So I'm more likely to play for a bit at day's end, but go to bed at my usual time.

And I'll probably just have a single toon, rather than juggle different characters.

Aside from that, I'll create costume variants for trivial things like aura on/of, or formalwear.

Hasten Hands MUST be removed immediately. 

Also, I don’t allow myself to play a character until it’s attuned IO build is ready to go from the start.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Generally, all alts handle their own finance and enhancements, but share the same salvages bank. So far, no farm, probably keeping to that.

I have some costume-rules...

I have one that has five outfits, will only switch to the right when she's passed level 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. (Slot 1 = robotics, progressively more human)

I have one that switch to the right costume when she levels up, and switch to the left when she's defeated. (Slot 1 = human, progressively more monstrous, up to 6)

I have another one switch to the right when defeated, reset to the first when levels up, but limited to 4, because she has social outfits.

And I plan to have another, this time 6 costumes, hardcore mode, once she's out of outfits, she dies for good. (Thinking of starting with a tank, with each progressive less armoured...)

Edited by Oginth
  • Like 1

Hrm.  Yep.

Character concept is pretty important.  I just won't take a power that I cannot envision the character actually doing, no matter how good it is.

I'll try not to have 2 characters with the same color theme.  Having only 6 characters this is easy so far.  We'll see how long this one lasts.

I almost always make my characters in twos.  Hero and their villain nemesis (even though they will never see each other and will be in the same super group).  My next character will be an additional baddie for my main so yeah.

No perma anything.

• Like 2

No travel powers for most (almost all) of my characters.  That includes Ninja/Beast Run.  Rewarded temp travel powers are hoarded for "emergency" usage (such as acquiring the one badge that cannot be obtained (Top Dog) without a travel power (or a taxi)).

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

• I've never done a single DFB. Ever. On either side.  It just seems to "this is the royal road to powerlevelling" to me, and I WANT my characters to level slowly.
  • My characters all tend to be normal human height (5'8 to 6'2 for the males, slightly shorter for females).  This makes my characters relatively short in City of Giants.
    • One exception who's super short, but his name is "Meddling Kid"... he's supposed to be a child, so he's at 4' or so.
  • I always do the tutorial. I never leave the tutorial without a 1000+ character backstory.
  • Character Concept is KING. 
    • I don't have to have perfectly paired set.... I have a Plant/Psi I have a Storm/Sonic, etc.... but I have to make those sets make sense and square with their origin / backstory.
    • My characters are bracketed into "Dedicated Hero" / "Dedicated Villain" or "Rogue and Vig Combos"
    • Even on the characters who can become Rogue / Vig, I never use a Patron Pool unless the character will STAY redside. 
    • Even on characters who STAY redside, I do not use a Patron Pool if there's a more fitting Epic Pool.  (ex: Redside Sentinel is Fire/Fire/Fire), Redside Dominator is Plant/Psi/Psi, etc)
  • I never use "enterbasefrompasscode"
  • I never use P2W purchases for status protection.  

4 hours ago, wolfshadow31 said:

3)Not allow myself to play after midnight, cuz I know that is just gonna end up in the "Just one more mission syndrome" and next thing you know its 6am. 😄

And here I thought there would have been some Gremlins reference...😁

1st- toon had to reach 50 without ae farming or radio mission

2nd toon was the farmer

Must obtain 1billion b4 doing rikti war

Lastly *and work in progress* after all 3 are done create a top pvp toon and win some pvp content.

eveything except the last 2 are complete.

I must wear clothes at all times in missions, even if it would be to my advantage to shuck them off. Just not fair, but it is a burden I must carry.

• Haha 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

My very human centric character invisible falcon, avoids any set bonuses over 2 parts, doesnt have more then around 60ish% dmg buffs in any of his attacks, doesnt use any super power travel powers just rocket board and pack etc. Is not an incarnate. Basically meant to be my idea of as close to a human in a world of meta human type concept. as a claw/wp scrapper he still holds his own quite well ofcourse.

35 minutes ago, Marine X said:

I must wear clothes at all times in missions, even if it would be to my advantage to shuck them off.

This is a side effect of "TF2 Soldier, fighting naked and covered in Honey Syndrome", but the character creator will not cooperate with me.

https://www.teamfortress.com/tf06_thenakedandthedead/

Quick click through it to page 131.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Nope, sky's the limit.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

I've never done a single DFB. Ever. On either side.  It just seems to "this is the royal road to powerlevelling" to me, and I WANT my characters to level slowly.

I did a DFB once, just to see what it was all about. Once I'd seen that it was the 'character's first PL' setup, that was it for me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I did a DFB once, just to see what it was all about. Once I'd seen that it was the 'character's first PL' setup, that was it for me.

I try to run two DFBs around level five for the +Accuracy and +Recovery buffs and the badges, but with XP disabled.

I try to play the game with the limitations that existed on live. I'm grateful for Homecoming, I really am, but sometimes I feel like the Homecoming GM's are a little bit too generous with what they've given us.

I don't give myself capes until I've completed the cape mission at level 20.
Same goes for Auras. No Auras until level 30 and completing the Aura mission.
A more recent restriction for myself is not sending money from my main to new alts. My new character all have to earn their own INF and buy their own enhancements.

I very rarely use Double EXP boosters. Less so for restriction reasons, I just like to take my time and enjoy the scenery, and that's really hard to do when you've outgrown your contacts within the first two missions.

No farming. I refuse to join level 50 teams running +4/x8 content until I'm within the level 40-50 range. I have no issue with allowing lower levels joining my own teams, but when I run my groups, we're going through and smashing everything in our way, and you're expected to contribute.

That's about it. I honestly enjoy playing the game the old fashioned way. 

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 4

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

As a returning player, I wanted to try and recreate the experience I had when I played CoH last, which was 2004 to just after CoV was released. It's taken me a while to set up a list of rules that I have to adhere to, but it really helps me capture that 'first time' nostalgic feeling, and explore as much of the content as I can. Initially, I was finding myself flying through content so quickly, missing out on entire zones, arcs, and levelling up extremely quickly. So now:

• For each level range (0-5, 6-10 etc) I have to complete mission arc accomplishment badges naturally (Negotiator, Spelunker, etc), as well as the new story arcs that didn't exist when I last played (Shining Star, Savior of Atlas Park). I must complete these arcs before progressing, freezing XP if necessary.
  • Before moving out of the level range, I have to complete its associated Task Force and Trials at the level they were originally designed for.
  • For the zones that I have visited on the story arcs, I have to collect all of the exploration badges, and read all history plaques.
  • I have to take a prerequisite Power Pool power, before choosing a travel power, which I can only do from level 14 onwards.
  • I can only play original Hero/Villain ATs on their associated side.
  • I can't have a cape before level 20. Or an aura before 30.
  • I cannot use P2W.
  • I cannot use AE until level 50.
  • I also have to complete the tutorial, and get the Isolator badge.
  • I have to use the monorail as it was originally designed, with two lines. I also can't use any shortcut macros etc to access SG bases for transport.
  • A few other limitations that I will no doubt add to as I continue my journey through the game.

I've just finished the Positron task force, so am ready to now move on into the level 15-20 range. It slows everything right down, but really helps me enjoy the content; I'm loving exploring all of the areas, stories and discoveries all over again.

Edited by Chequers
  • Like 1

Another quirky thing I do, not sure if it's a limitation, is to stealth to the end of the mission and finish the mission first (until the exit button appears), then I go back and make sure there are no witnesses. Doing this forces me to not to die, because if I do, I can't go back to it. 

I do that, because then the blue exit button is an escape hatch in case I get in over my head.

Definitely not a limitation in my case!

(Otherwise I can use Self-Destruct. Definitely not hard core here!)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

My limitation:

1. Play for fun. If playing this game generates rage, despair, and/or boredom then stop playing immediately.
  2. Do not play this game more than 2 hours a day.
  3. Maximum difficulty level is (-1/0), time invested to play the game must be greater than calculating def, tohit, res, proc, acc, fbi, etc.
  4. This is a good candidate for another limitation:
11 hours ago, wolfshadow31 said:

Not allow myself to play after midnight,

PS

I'm still trying to obey my own limitation. 

• Like 1