The Tank Gods. . .

theDarkeOne

My current favorites are - 

Rad/Claws - slotted for damage procs, she can actually do surprising damage for a tanker. Res capped, good at single target and AoE damage, also a good AFK farmer too if that's your thing. Load up an AE, turn on toggles, put spin on auto cast and go do dishes or laundry.

Shield/Ele - wrecking ball, two charges, AoE slam, pick off the 1 or 2 survivors, charge to the next group. Intense play style where it feels like you are controlling the battlefield.

My next tanker is trying to find a good Savage melee setup, not many comments out there for them.

41 minutes ago, Neiska said:

My current favorites are - 

Rad/Claws - slotted for damage procs, she can actually do surprising damage for a tanker. Res capped, good at single target and AoE damage, also a good AFK farmer too if that's your thing. Load up an AE, turn on toggles, put spin on auto cast and go do dishes or laundry.

Shield/Ele - wrecking ball, two charges, AoE slam, pick off the 1 or 2 survivors, charge to the next group. Intense play style where it feels like you are controlling the battlefield.

My next tanker is trying to find a good Savage melee setup, not many comments out there for them.

I HIGHLY recommend Shield/Savage. . . I know you have your Shield/Elec but my girl is one of my most played characters! SR/Savage is also quite intriguing although may not be enough mitigation for those "oh, crap" moments!

5 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

Elec Armor / Rad Melee is holding as my all-time favorite.

I've been trying variants of my fave and Fire/Rad has its flaws, no doubt about it which leaves Fire/Claws still ahead, but it's been behaving really nicely once I finally got access to Irradiated Ground.

Rad Melee is hard to get into for me though. Slow ass -extremely- silly animations and I die a little bit inside each time I hit Devastating Blow, run to the kitchen, make a sammich and then run back in time to see it whiff. I can't make myself give it up though, because even though it is not ET it still has a pretty heavy base damage which goes trés bien ensemble with Fiery Embrace.

But the cleave is unreal. BU + Burn clears whole spawns once backed with both damage auras. I'm literally ignoring the whole spawn and hitting a boss and everything may just die at the same time. It's coming to a point I'm thinking there may not be a point in picking Atom Smasher.

Was never really a tank guy back on live, scrappers were my go to AT, although I had plenty of others, but I've been playing quite a few here.

I have Bio/SS, SR/MA, Ice/Stone melee, Stone/Savage to name a few but the one I have, by far, enjoyed playing most is the Rad/Claws.

I built it for res and recharge, just as a concept build, so it has minimal defence (If memory serves they are around 11%-15%), but it is still an absolute beast and much fun to play.

• Like 1

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ran with my lvl 32 bio/claws last night. Now 35. About to log on for more. This is going to be an insane combo. Having trouble getting permahasten in the final build, though.

I'm presuming you already will be, and this is going to seem like a silly question, but are you using a force feedback +rech in shockwave? 

1 hour ago, CaptainLupis said:

I'm presuming you already will be, and this is going to seem like a silly question, but are you using a force feedback +rech in shockwave? 

Nope. I use ragnarok - the chance for KB and the sudden acceleration KB-->KD

Gots to have that +10% recharge and I hate KB. Knocks them out of burn/ damage auras/ melee/ etc.

19 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Nope. I use ragnarok - the chance for KB and the sudden acceleration KB-->KD

Gots to have that +10% recharge and I hate KB. Knocks them out of burn/ damage auras/ melee/ etc.

I have mine slotted with sudden impact KB to KD, FF +rech, anhilation acc/dam, acc/dam/end and the -res plus a damage proc. The FF goes off all the time (it has a 23% chance per mob so if you are hitting a few it will be triggering pretty much constantly which I find of more use than just 10% global recharge from the set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLupis said:

I have mine slotted with sudden impact KB to KD, FF +rech, anhilation acc/dam, acc/dam/end and the -res plus a damage proc. The FF goes off all the time (it has a 23% chance per mob so if you are hitting a few it will be triggering pretty much constantly which I find of more use than just 10% global recharge from the set.

I have to have permahasten for the followup-focus-slash-repeat attach chain which grants a triple stack of FU on to focus. Therefore, the max recharge is absolutely necessary for my build.

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I have to have permahasten for the followup-focus-slash-repeat attach chain which grants a triple stack of FU on to focus. Therefore, the max recharge is absolutely necessary for my build.

With some frankenslotting and a Overwhelming + a FF I found I could knock 10 seconds off Hasten with Shockwave alone.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Yeah, if you're not using shockwave in your rotation there's not much point having the FF in it.

I only have two Tankers. Ice/Stone/Soul and Rad/SS/Soul. The Rad/SS has, thus far, solo'd every Praetorian AV, went 1 to 1 with full-tower Recluse without blinking (not defeating, just direct tanking), been force sequestered out of fighting Siege during the BAF iTrial because of Taunt+High Damage (I basically cannot engage him without hitting three rings, and that's not even using actual Taunt). I cannot say he has never died, but his deaths have majority been my own fault outside of a couple where the Fear hole in Radiation Armor has gotten me killed (can't save myself if I can't do anything!). He force peels aggro like a super magnet in a box full of metal shavings and its hilarious and awesome.

He's also a ridiculous creature that should not exist.

• Like 3

My Rad\SS is very tough also. But one day I was with a team and we had 2 tanks doing +4x8 missions. Malaise was the AV in there. I  bumped into him and a group of psi seer mobs and just dived in solo, the rest of the team was still mopping up last pull. I got instantly held lol and just watched my health dwindle as I didn't bring a break free (never needed one before) and couldn't use my life savers. I died 😛 Felt a bit silly then lol.

I don't never whether I had missed putting a toggle on or the holds just stacked up on me...oh well haha. 

On 8/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, Gobbledegook said:

Malaise was the AV in there.

Terrorize is the thing that catches me from them. I have 61% Psi Resists without Meltdown active, so I generally don't fear their damage as much, but the Fear's they stack up have caught me panic-clicking a heal. Very likely Fear that caught you too since Fear and Confuse are the two holes that hurt the most. I catch myself hesitating when teamed and enemies have the ability to confuse, I'm apologizing in advance with "Sorry if I suddenly hit you for 1,000 points of damage, it wasn't on purpose!"

I'm waiting for the day to come that Confuse stacks up, I don't catch it, and I wipe out a few members of my team. 😅

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2020 at 3:32 PM, nihilii said:

I just wish we got the Master Brawler treatment from Sentinels, because click mez protection is a bore. Solely because click mez protection is a bore. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, Gobbledegook said:

My Rad\SS is very tough also. But one day I was with a team and we had 2 tanks doing +4x8 missions. Malaise was the AV in there. I  bumped into him and a group of psi seer mobs and just dived in solo, the rest of the team was still mopping up last pull. I got instantly held lol and just watched my health dwindle as I didn't bring a break free (never needed one before) and couldn't use my life savers. I died 😛 Felt a bit silly then lol.

I've been wondering - is click mez protection stronger than toggle? or does defense get hit by less mez?

I usually play Def capped melee and started trying out Bio since people say it's so great, or Invulnerability or Radiation. On Moonfire I'll run into a pack of Vamps... and get held?  Or a big crowd of Carnival, they all hit Flash and Blind and my resist-based tank stands there holding his poor eyes 😞

Does clickie mez have higher protection values, or is it that my SR, Shield, and Ice tanks just don't get hit by the mez to the point of being held? (Ice is toggle mez, so maybe it's the Def against mez that helps)

Terror/Fear seems to strike 'em all in the heart, sadly.

Edited by ninja surprise

19 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

or does defense get hit by less mez?

This. My bio/claws tank was getting confused and terrorized left and right while running in DA the other day. My claws/sr and sr/claws users maybe get hit with it once a mission. There's probably a few autohit or nonpositional mezzes out there but they're rare. As per Mids, at least, looks like it's the same base values for protection be it from click or toggle protection.

• Like 1

Mez clickies tend to stack, so just double the protection you see in Mids, and yeah, that makes them stronger than toggles.

9 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This. My bio/claws tank was getting confused and terrorized left and right while running in DA the other day. My claws/sr and sr/claws users maybe get hit with it once a mission. There's probably a few autohit or nonpositional mezzes out there but they're rare. As per Mids, at least, looks like it's the same base values for protection be it from click or toggle protection.

Oh hey Bill, my FA/MA is coming nicely. I'm curious to see if it will laugh at psi with 40-45% defense to melee/ranged/AoE which is kinda stupid on top of being a resists set 😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Mez clickies tend to stack, so just double the protection you see in Mids, and yeah, that makes them stronger than toggles.

Oh hey Bill, my FA/MA is coming nicely. I'm curious to see if it will laugh at psi with 40-45% defense to melee/ranged/AoE which is kinda stupid on top of being a resists set 😄

My click mez prots are never doubled up. I leave hasten on auto and use it as my timer for firing off practiced brawler or the like since both have a 2 min duration.

Interesting note... as it stands right now, my bio/claws has better times than the fire/claws. I'm going to rebuild the fire/claws for permahasten and the true followup, focus, slash chain that the bio is running and pull burn out of the mix because right now... it seems burn is actually decreasing my ST DPS.

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

My click mez prots are never doubled up. I leave hasten on auto and use it as my timer for firing off practiced brawler or the like since both have a 2 min duration.

Interesting note... as it stands right now, my bio/claws has better times than the fire/claws. I'm going to rebuild the fire/claws for permahasten and the true followup, focus, slash chain that the bio is running and pull burn out of the mix because right now... it seems burn is actually decreasing my ST DPS.

Peculiar considering how strong it is. Do you have it double damage procced with a purple one? What are your times on the Bio/Claws so far? Nihili had his at something like 3:30 with Assault clicked.

12 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Peculiar considering how strong it is. Do you have it double damage procced with a purple one? What are your times on the Bio/Claws so far? Nihili had his at something like 3:30 with Assault clicked.

Yes on burn and I'm pretty sure 3:30 was my average on the bio as well. And yea... kinda weird seeing a time on a tank that close to my main claws/sr's average time. Don't think I much care for that at all to be honest. And I need to find another 30% recharge for the fire/claws.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

5 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

or does defense get hit by less mez?

To clarify, since it wasn't explicitly stated, Defense based toons avoid getting hit at all, whereas Resistance are just reducing the impact of each hit. A Resistance toon is going to end up with stack mez magnitude that can eventually break through their protection if enough effects keep building up, but it should honestly be pretty rare. My Rad Tank typically only sees a hold break through when fighting Carnies and only if I can't get in and juggle the Master Illusionist fast enough. Defense toons, on the other hand, completely avoid hits because of Defense, and thus the chance for something to stack/break through are far rarer because of this fact.

There's also consideration for general holes in mez protection (most commonly taunt, fear, and confuse) that have to be patched from other places typically.

Oh, and Blind (thank you, Arachnos) can be countered with +Perception (Tactics, which... also covers some protection for Fear and Confuse!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

I'd rather go blind

Not a fan I take it?  lol

Doesnt cost a enh slot, adds to to hit and never get blinded again.

Endurance?  Yeah you can outbuild that too.

Also provides to hit debuff resistance.

Edited by Infinitum