My questions about servers and a million other things as a returning enthusiast!

Aeroprism

Hello beautiful people!

I have just installed this last night, can't wait to play, I really liked CoH and for years I was so bummed out that in a sea of less-than-awesome MMOs, this fantastic game had to be one to die out.

Then I heard of this place and now I am PSYCHED.

First of all: HOLY MOLLY the GUI and presentation is NICE!  I can already tell that this place will be home!

So yesterday the first thing that stopped me was that there were 5 possible server/shards.  Is there a preffered to roll on for new players?  I don't want to solo my way to 50, I want an active community, I want to be able to group with people and have fun.

So please, tell me about the servers and what makes each of them special.

See you out there!!

Edited by Aeroprism
  • Like 3

well admittedly limited information here

Torchbearer is the OG server the very first one so many people have their mains and have a lot of characters there it was at least as far as i know the highest population server

Indomitable is another high pop server that is popular

Excelcior is a low pop server but still gets good teams going

Everlasting is one of the more popular servers and I beliieve it is the defacto Role Play server

Reunion is the ""official"" Euro server and has a low population but still plays well, 

So really you cant go wrong with any or all of them. ive got characters on all 5 servers and 50s on at least 3 of them so pick one and hop into Paragon city

as a personal reccomendation id go Torch or Indom for a start to get going and then expand to a new one when youre ready so you can play on all 5 as needed

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Well, they're boxes about yea wide and yea tall, filled with electronics, drives and small hamsters that are *very* good at heating up a room en masse. Mostly the electronics do that, the hamsters just kind of ask for more water.

Only ones I can really say antyhing about go with the server descriptions - I'd check the individual boards out.

Everlasting is the best server, since it's the unofficial RP server. 🙂  There's often something going on. Like MSRs? Two a night. Hami raids? Several per night. And everything else keeps rolling.

INdomitable is the unofficial PVP server. Can't say what it's like over there.

Reunion's the Euroserver. I understand there are many small cars and disco clubs there, and they type with outrrraaaegous accents. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Pretty sure excelsior is the highest population server. 

I’m on indomnitable, the unofficial pvp server, which is low population, but still easy to get teams as long as you don’t only play super late at night. 

So, you’ll probably be fine with whichever server. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 1

Here is the current status on the population of each server.  I think you'll find that Excelsior is pretty much the highest population server.  Just for reference, I typically play on Torchbearer, which is typically in the middle of the pack, but I never have trouble finding a team when I look for one.

image.thumb.png.a15a719ad64ec55ab7f2077ec2330974.png

• Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

4 minutes ago, catsi563 said:

well admittedly limited information here

Torchbearer is the OG server the very first one so many people have their mains and have a lot of characters there it was at least as far as i know the highest population server

Indomitable is another high pop server that is popular

Everlasting is one of the more popular servers and I beliieve it is the defacto Role Play server

Reunion is the ""official"" Euro server and has a low population but still plays well, 

So really you cant go wrong with any or all of them. ive got characters on all 5 servers and 50s on at least 3 of them so pick one and hop into Paragon city

as a personal reccomendation id go Torch or Indom for a start to get going and then expand to a new one when youre ready so you can play on all 5 as needed

Err.  Excelsior is actually the highest populated server.  Everlasting is second, Torchbearer third, and Indomitable fourth.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the other shards, as I've not played on them much at all. I tend to stick around Excelsior, if only because my SG is on there and it gives me folks who will tolerate my presence to hang out with. 😛

That being said, Excelsior is pretty busy most days, and as some have said here, is probably the highest population server. There's no shortage of teams for just about any kind of content, so if you're looking for a more "busy" server with team advertisements every few seconds, it's a good place to go. Excelsior also has nightly Hami raids (every night at 10pm EST).

Edited by GastlyGibus

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

I can't wait, seriously.  So many new powersets to try, so much stuff to discover and re-discover!

The work day can't go away fast enough!

I see that from the stats, Fire/Kins are still a flavor of the month that doesn't stop.  A shame with so many fun powersets to try!

Edited by Aeroprism
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aeroprism said:

I can't wait, seriously.  So many new powersets to try, so much stuff to discover and re-discover!

The work day can't go away fast enough!

I know EXACTLY how you feel.  I had the same feeling back in May of last year, when all of this exploded back on to the scene.  The first time I rolled up on the steps of Atlas Park, and heard that theme music, I swear it brought a nostalgic tear to the eye!  I played other games while this one was away lo those 7 dark years.  But, this was the only one a really wanted to play, and as soon as it was back, there was no desire to play anything else.

Welcome home hero!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey I'm gonna hijack my own thread and go with another question: back in the day, it was possible to export costume files and I proably still have those somewhere on my PC (I guess I felt a place like thiswould appear one day).  Are those still usable in the current state of things?  If not, no biggie, but it would be nice to have some good costume nostalgia for me.

1 minute ago, Mister Mass said:

Server transfers are easy, so don’t stress that you are making an irrevocable decision.

And, like everything else, they are free.  No subscriptions, and no in-game charges for things.  There is a monthly donation run to support the admin/dev team here (on the last saturday of the month), but it's totally voluntary.

• Like 1

Hey I'm gonna hijack my own thread and go with another question: back in the day, it was possible to export costume files and I proably still have those somewhere on my PC (I guess I felt a place like thiswould appear one day).  Are those still usable in the current state of things?  If not, no biggie, but it would be nice to have some good costume nostalgia for me.

You can port costumes.

As far as I'm aware, the costume files should still work. AE content you have saved locally should still be usable as well.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, Abraxus said:

And, like everything else, they are free.  No subscriptions, and no in-game charges for things.  There is a monthly donation run to support the admin/dev team here (on the last saturday of the month), but it's totally voluntary.

... and closes fast. Seriously, if you're thinking "Oh, I'm mid mission, I can do that in 15 minutes," you'll be surprised when you suddenly *can't* because it's covered already!

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just now, Aeroprism said:

Oh donations will definitely happen.

Only if you are quick!  They tend to hit their donation target in a very short window.  You might need to camp out if you want to make them take your money. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Not kidding, I hopped on Indomitable my first night with HC and I haven't had any reason to look anywhere else.  Never have trouble getting a team going, the 'regulars' are of a good sort, and the organized TFs, Hami raids and Mothership Raids are all top-notch.  Plus, as a lower-pop server, if you wish to partake in say, dual-boxing, it is not a bad place to do so, usually.

• Like 1

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

40 minutes ago, catsi563 said:

Excelsior is the most populated server. Everlasting has the largest role playing population among all the servers, and they are fairly close to Excelsior in terms of player population. 

When Excelsior went online, a lot of people took advantage of the server transfers. Sometime around July or August of 2019, there was a steady migration from Torch to other servers. I've no idea why. Still, Torchbearer has some of the more highly skilled players across all shards. Excelsior has some very, very competent players as well. (with a lot of newer players who have never played before!)

( I define competency & highly skilled by my own interactions with players there. You may play on Everlasting and be the best ever - but I may be blissfully unaware. No insult is intended.) 

I have little to no experience on Reunion or Indomitable, so I can't speak about them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1