Travel times are embarrassingly short

DougGraves

I've always been annoyed by travel times in game.  Especially in Talos and IP.  When I had a character exit a mission and have to fly to the train halfway across IP, I noticed that the temporary flight pack had a countdown timer of its duration.  So I timed how long it took - under 30 seconds.

I couldn't believe that I'd been so bothered by 30 seconds of travel time.  Just knowing how little time it takes has made me accept it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

WoW...

...various flight paths where you literally could go make a sandwhich, come back, and still be flying.

Not to mention that they felt the need so often to give you the "tourist route" - your taxi arrives at your destination, but instead of just landing it insists on making a grand loop around the whole area so that you can take in the scenery. ALL of the scenery.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

WoW...

...various flight paths where you literally could go make a sandwhich, come back, and still be flying.

Where you could land being marked as AFK.

Gotta hand it to Blizzard, they really do know how to stretch out a subscription.

2 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

The longest downtime I regularly encounter in the game now isn't travel, it's the BAF cutscene. 😄

It hilarious when everyone gets all excited because the BAF cut scene got skipped.

When CoH came out, the big dog in the MMORPG genre was Everquest.... to go from one end of the world to the other in EQ could take 2 hours without help.  Much of that time was waiting for a boat, then sitting on that boat.

I was happy to play a game with train stations in almost every zone.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

When CoH came out, the big dog in the MMORPG genre was Everquest.... to go from one end of the world to the other in EQ could take 2 hours without help.  Much of that time was waiting for a boat, then sitting on that boat.

Which is kinda funny, because UO had had instant travel for years by that point.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

9 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

WoW...

CoH did that to me too.  But that was with Hover across the Storm Palace before two buffs (that I recall) to Hover's base flight speed.

My scrapper really, really wanted to see the 'death star' up close 😁.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

WoW...

EverQuest.. missed the boat, wait 22 minutes for it to come back, and then you have a 22min travel to the other side of the ocean. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

This is where I admit I miss the cosmic teleports macros.

THEY STILL WORK!

The amount of effort to unlock the base portal (small cost from p2w), or emergency responder teleport charges (just log out next to a base portal, or in a base) is so small it is negligible at best.

You have Tunnel, you have Oro. You have existing base teleport spots.

There is no place you cant get in more than 2 steps and less than 30 seconds _load_ time. Oro -> talos -> (transit hub, TUNNEL, or tram, depending on your needs). You have _all three transit modes_ in 5 seconds of ninjarun/beastrun/athleticrun/regularsprint RIGHT from where the talos oro exit dumps you.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hew said:

THEY STILL WORK!

The amount of effort to unlock the base portal (small cost from p2w), or emergency responder teleport charges (just log out next to a base portal, or in a base) is so small it is negligible at best.

You have Tunnel, you have Oro. You have existing base teleport spots.

There is no place you cant get in more than 2 steps and less than 30 seconds _load_ time. Oro -> talos -> (transit hub, TUNNEL, or tram, depending on your needs). You have _all three transit modes_ in 5 seconds of ninjarun/beastrun/athleticrun/regularsprint RIGHT from where the talos oro exit dumps you.

I even took the time to really learn how to build a good base teleport room of my own now so that I can port to it from anywhere and have easy access to everything cosmic transport had.  It's something I always could have done, but never bothered to before.  Now that I know how, I'm glad I did it.  It's a fun new element to this game.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I even took the time to really learn how to build a good base teleport room of my own now so that I can port to it from anywhere and have easy access to everything cosmic transport had.  It's something I always could have done, but never bothered to before.  Now that I know how, I'm glad I did it.  It's a fun new element to this game.

Bases do have their uses.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Bases do have their uses.

It's funny how much time the devs sunk into bases (hahahaha base raids hahahahaha) and how they ended up being little more than teleport hubs and Lego for a handful of determined builders.

What's not funny is how much time I spent grinding prestige to turn on a feature (base raids) that never went anywhere.