Community Update - February 12, 2021

Arcanum

• City Council

Hi everyone!

We have some exciting community updates we wanted to share with all of you regarding the following topics.

• Costume Contests
  • AE Dev's Choice
  • Weekly Discussion
  • Community Helper Applications
  • Game Master Applications

If you have no interest in these topics, please continue about your regularly scheduled forum browsing! 

Costume Contests

The Homecoming Costume Contests were designed for us, the Game Masters, to have a fun and exciting way to interact with the community! Continuing to do them every month, we feel has made them a bit mundane. To counteract this, we're going to make an adjustment to how we'll be hosting our official Costume Contests going forward.

• Costume contests will no longer be held every month. Instead, they will be held four times a year - the dates/themes for which will be announced in advance. The remaining 2021 Costume Contests will be held on the following dates.
    • Saturday, May 15th - 9PM UTC  
      • Theme: Anniversary (Any theme or style - bring your best overall)
    • Saturday, July 17th - 9PM UTC
      • Theme: Folklore, Fables, and Fairy Tales
    • Saturday, October 17th - 9PM UTC
      • Theme: Praetorians (Special! 2-player team contest. Come dressed as the primal and praetorian versions of your original character)

We will continue to make a separate forum post announcing the Costume Contest and details/examples for that contest at the start of that month. The decision to do Costume Contests this way was made for a few reasons. One reason is this assists our volunteer staff in spreading out their workload - as I'm sure you can imagine, arranging for GMs to cover every shard every month can be a bit challenging due to scheduling conflicts. They often sacrifice time with their families (and are happy to do so), however, we want them to enjoy those weekends as well. In addition (and perhaps primarily) we think they've become a bit too routine. Player attendance has diminished and we wanted to make them special again! Which perfectly segues into my next point. Prizes/changes!

MOst importaNtly, be Sure To stick around for thE Results and winners going forward. One never knows what MAy happen at the end of our coStume contests from Here on out.

Current Costume Contest Prizes:

• The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Runner-Up
    • The Fashion Victim Badge 
    • 150 reward merits 1,000 reward merits
    • 3 Heroes vs. Villains super packs
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Finalist 
    • 300 reward merits  5,000 reward merits
    • 5 Heroes vs. Villains super packs
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Winner
    • 1,000 reward merits 10,000 reward merits
    • 10 Heroes vs. Villains super packs

We look forward to seeing you at our next Costume Contest and we're excited to see what everyone comes up with!

AE Dev's Choice, Folding@Home and Weekly Discussion (Forum & Discord Editions)

Both the AE Dev's Choice and Weekly Discussions will temporarily be suspended to allow our team some extra free time to recharge, give the devs time to catch up on all the feedback, and to re-vamp how we handle the discussions and the AE Choice prizes! We will update you about this again soon.

The prizes for Folding@Home will temporarily be suspended, but that doesn't mean you can't still help! Join the team and find out more info here.

Community Helper Applications

We are looking to expand our team by taking on some Community Helpers. This role differs from being a Game Master (see below). A lot of players have reached out asking how they can help - well, here it is! A community helper has no official authority in player disciplinary matters, nor access to in-game powers. They are members from the community that are respected, helpful with the player base, and knowledgeable/involved with certain areas of the game (see below for details). If you are an active player and looking to help the Game Masters, please consider applying!

Application: CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A COMMUNITY HELPER ROLE

What we're looking for:

• Friendly/helpful players
  • Active/knowledgeable with any of the following in-game communities
    • Roleplay
    • PvP
    • Architect Entertainment
    • Base Building
  • Professional demeanor
  • Team oriented
  • Respected member in the game
    • Someone specific come to mind? Send them the application and have them apply!

Community Helper Role:

• Reports to the Game Masters/Lead Game Masters
  • Able to plan and run in-game events for the RP/PvP/AE/Base Building communities
    • Got any ideas/suggestions? We'd love to hear them! Include it in the application.
  • Assist Game Masters in judging Homecoming Costume Contests when needed.
  • Public Persona - As you will not have access to any GM commands, you will be a public facing figure and there will be no separation between your personal game account/Community Helper one.

If you're interested, please fill out the application in the link above OR contact any Lead Game Master for any additional questions!

Game Master Applications

We are also always on the lookout for new Game Masters to join our team. Game Masters, at their core, are player support. Their role is to enforce the Code of Conduct and policies set in place by the Homecoming Team! A Game Master is NOT part of the development team (At present we’re not recruiting additional resources for the development team, but we do hope to open this up later in the year. Please keep an eye on future announcements and we’ll let you know when this changes!). They do not control what is being worked on behind the scenes. If you're the kind of person that is always checking help-chat or the one people turn to for questions, this may be a great role for you!

Application: CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A GAME MASTER ROLE

What we're looking for:

• Friendly/helpful players
  • Players that can speak at least one language on top of being fluent in English (specifically we’re looking for French, Spanish and German)
  • Mac OS and Linux experts
  • Players that are available outside of peak US hours
  • Players with an in-depth knowledge of the game, common problems (and solutions) as well as troubleshooting techniques
  • Knowledge/awareness of the Code of Conduct
  • Professional demeanor
  • Team oriented
  • Loves the game and wants to be more involved
  • Patient and enjoys helping others
  • Active/Time - The team is entirely volunteer based. We are appreciative of anyone willing to help out, but we request you have the available free time to do so and be active in the team! 

Game Master Role

• Reports to Lead Game Masters/Homecoming Team
  • Essentially helps to 'run' the game
  • Player Support - We assist players with a variety of tasks. Being able to assist in any of these areas is an asset. 
    • Answering support request tickets (stuck missions, stuck NPCs, Code of Conduct Violations, etc)
    • Helping players with game-related technical difficulties
  • Communicates well with players and is able to de-escalate situations
  • Anonymity - We volunteer because we love to play the game and help the community. We request our GMs keep their personal game identities/GM identities separate which allows us to discipline when necessary but still enjoy playing the game.
  • Costume Contest
    • Game Masters run the Homecoming Costume Contest. Part of joining the team is helping to judge/plan these events!

If you're interested, please fill out the application in the link above OR contact any Lead Game Master for any additional questions!

Thank You

Lastly, I just wanted to add a thank you to both our amazing team of Game Masters and Lead Game Masters who relentlessly volunteer their time to keep things running. They frequently give up evenings and weekends to help out the player base and we couldn't do it without them. 

Also, to you, the players. Homecoming continues to thrive due to everyone who makes this such an amazing game and community to be a part of. Thank you to everyone who helps other players (in-game, discord, forums, etc), to anyone who donates, to those continuing to support Folding@Home, to those who run MSRs, Incarnates, Hami Raids and all the other weekly contests and events on your shard(s). Thanks for making this the Paragon of the video game community (Hah! See what I did there?). We appreciate you!

Edited by GM Arcanum
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

When ye report back obviously we'll have a LIST of things for ye to do!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Soooo . . . the Helper application form mentions that chat logs would be reviewed.

Could we get some further elaboration on that, and how it interacts with the existing Privacy Policy?

Are all chat logs of a applicant subject to this review?  Just the ones within 3 days of applying?  Only the logs during hours scheduled as a Helper?  All Channels, or would Private Tells be exempt?

Given the nature of some private conversations and subject matter in roleplay, given that many players conduct these activities in private, how does that effect someone's application process?

1 hour ago, GM Arcanum said:

Thank You

This is great. Thank You

image.png.9284c0c8a6b548db0abb3678047217be.png

Edited by Troo
  • Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Community Rep

As a base builder and someone who does like the occasional contest, would being a base builder helper (officially, bc I already am in many ways) take me out of the running to be able to enter contests, for my bases and any I make for others? Does "giving other players advantages" include handing out infl and goodies, because I do that a lot, too.

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
12 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Could we get some further elaboration on that, and how it interacts with the existing Privacy Policy?

Yup! You can check out our Privacy Policy here which already specifies an access to chat-logs. These are pulled and reviewed by our Lead Game Masters for any applicants for the purpose of vetting them. Per the policy the data is stored for 30 days (unless its relevant to an ongoing support ticket). This helps us get a better sense of our candidates and their interactions with other players.

9 hours ago, Dacy said:

As a base builder and someone who does like the occasional contest, would being a base builder helper (officially, bc I already am in many ways) take me out of the running to be able to enter contests, for my bases and any I make for others? Does "giving other players advantages" include handing out infl and goodies, because I do that a lot, too.

(Hi Dacy! 😄) It depends on the nature of the contest. If you applied/were brought on as a CH and running an official contest, then no you wouldn't enroll yourself as a contender (including a base you made for someone else). Which is essentially what we're looking for in the role. Someone to help plan and run contests for the community.

Also, no. "Giving other players advantages" does not refer to your own personal influence/prizes you handout to others. It refers to using any GM Commands/powers to try and do so. We have a zero tolerance policy for using commands to provide any advantages to any player account (including our own).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
3 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

Since there won't be any new Dev's Choices foe a while, could you please give all the previous winners their Dev's Choice status back, so players can get full rewards for them and they won't be stuck behind a page and a half of farms in the search?

Yes! The Architect Interface has been updated.

• Like 2

So how am I going to take part in a Praetorian Costume event WHEN I CANNOT GO TO KALLISTI WHARF?*  I'd like to suggest that that particular contest be held in the Magisterium in Nova Praetoria.  Everyone else can go there, we can't go everywhere else 🙂

*Yes, I know I can make a copy of my costume, but you know, once would be nice.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 4

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

6 hours ago, Darmian said:

So how am I going to take part in a Praetorian Costume event WHEN I CANNOT GOT TO KALLISTI WHARF?*  I'd like to suggest that that particular contest be held in the Magisterium in Nova Praetoria.  Everyone else can go there, we can't go everywhere else 🙂

This seems like a no-brainer for a Praetorian costume contest; hold it in Praetoria.

• Like 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

Recommended: How about finding people who are willing to lead more server events & supporting them? This past year has done a number of people, understandably, yet I'm sure there's some people who would still be willing to run global community events. Just a matter of being creative & then supporting those said-people. For example, Smol and his sports-like pvp events. 

I share this because,
1) I interact a lot with the player-base in Everlasting community (my server home), and most feedback I see is a desire & appreciation for variety.

2) I remember the GM event back when HC first came out in 2019, with the GM who had the riddle, then had a custom-made boss fight in both blue (PI) and red (PO) in the community, which was very cool, fun, & creative. I recall tons of positive feedback from that event.

3) I believe variety of global events is a supportive catalyst that contributes to the current growth of the community.

Edited by CU_Krow

18 minutes ago, CU_Krow said:

Recommended: How about finding people who are willing to lead more server events & supporting them? This past year has done a number of people, understandably, yet I'm sure there's some people who would still be willing to run global community events. Just a matter of being creative & then supporting those said-people. For example, Smol and his sports-like pvp events. 

I share this because,
1) I interact a lot with the player-base in Everlasting community (my server home), and most feedback I see is a desire & appreciation for variety.

2) I remember the GM event back when HC first came out in 2019, with the GM who had the riddle, then had a custom-made boss fight in both blue (PI) and red (PO) in the community, which was very cool, fun, & creative. I recall tons of positive feedback from that event.

3) I believe variety of global events is a supportive catalyst that contributes to the current growth of the community.

That is one of the points in the original post, to find the folks to do what you are saying.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

22 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

That is one of the points in the original post, to find the folks to do what you are saying.

Not really. Just reread the OP, there's quite a bit of difference in my post compared to the OP.

Edited by CU_Krow

10 hours ago, Keovar said:

Or add a TUNNEL portal inside the building in the center of Kallisti Wharf so this and all future costume contests are open to Praetorians.  

Nice idea but won't work.  It's not the TUNNEL that's the issue, it's simply that Praetorians cannot go to Primal Earth unless they "naturalize" as a Primal by taking the Rift Mission at level 20. Some of us don't leave, and plenty aren't level 20, so there's that.  TUNNEL will just not work for you.

• Retired Lead Game Master
6 hours ago, CU_Krow said:

I share this because,

We are looking for Community Helpers - More information is located here.

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

On 2/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, GM Arcanum said:

MOst importaNtly, be Sure To stick around for thE Results and winners going forward. One never knows what MAy happen at the end of our coStume contests from Here on out.

What is the significance of MONSTER MASH?

On 2/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, GM Arcanum said:

Current Costume Contest Prizes:

• The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Runner-Up
    • 150 reward merits 1,000 reward merits
    • 3 Heroes vs. Villains super packs
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Finalist 
    • 300 reward merits  5,000 reward merits
    • 5 Heroes vs. Villains super packs
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • A permanent golden title: (Theme) Contest Winner
    • 1,000 reward merits 10,000 reward merits
    • 10 Heroes vs. Villains super packs

The increase to merit rewards seems a bit insane to me, but might as well go big on prizes (they don't cost anything and it will amp up the excitement factor).

Not complaining because someone will win that (I have to work on weekend and will never be able to take part regardless of how many merits), just saying that's an incredible amount of Merit from my point of view ... maybe it isn't all that for player with a main at who-knows-how-many Veteran levels.

I hardly use the things (Merits) anyway.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, GM Arcanum said:

This is the part that I will miss out on the most.

I used to really love when the DEVs back-in-the-day would spontaneously show up as Giant Monsters to attack Atlas Park ... everyone running to take part and the epic battles.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:09 AM, MaxisWilde said:

r/Cityofheroes - This is fine.
  • Haha 1

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

• 4 weeks later
  • Community Rep

Hi! I don't know how community helper applications are going, but I was just thinking about it, and the reasons why I had decided not to put in an application, despite being the helpful sort who rather already does what it is you say you want someone to do officially. So, here are some thoughts, and if they lead to changes, maybe you'll get more applications. Maybe you already have plenty, and this isn't the least issue, but here's my 2 cents.

You are asking volunteers to give up time and energy, which is the definition of volunteer, of course, but  do you realize  you are also asking them to probably give up game income and a certain prestige? Base builders like me who build on commission get paid when they do projects for others. If I'm a helper, now, not only can I not enter a HC contest and get the very large merits reward, but none of my clients could do that, either. They lose the chance to even be considered in a high profile contest, simply by choosing me to build their base. So I have to consider, is being a "community helper" worth enough for me to do that to my clients? Would I have as many clients if they knew they lose bragging rights even if they do think the base is the best one around? I admit, this was not an issue before there was a HC contest. With titles. And large prizes. But now it's an issue. So, if I became a helper, I give up my shot at future contests, and possibly lose clients and game income, and I lose the prestige of being able to say I have a top base, and any future titles that I might get. So, what would I gain? I am only seeing a downside to this.  I already am widely known in the base building community, already help out a lot. I already field messages and inquiries from people who need help. I am also very sure I am not the only person making these same considerations.

Let me put forth a couple of ideas for your consideration. First, all community helpers should have titles on all their characters, so they are immediately and easily identifiable. That's a prestige boost. Second, to make up from lost income, from people who'd rather be able to enter a contest, or because the volunteer now is using their time helping people instead of building commissions, , Community Helpers (and GMs, for that matter) should get an "income" of, say, merits. Again, not talking real money, and they're still volunteers, but you are asking them to take time away from the game and away from doing things that might earn them merits or influence; it's only fair to have their help to others be something they earn equivalent merits for doing. And third,  and honestly, I'd like to see this on all bases, I'd like for bases to have an entry message like missions do that identifies the builder(s). Ideally, the box would also list any prizes the base has won, or for the base community helper, it would identify the builder as the HC Base Community Helper. But at a minimum, it would identify the builder, which I think all the builders would really appreciate. Also, patrons would appreciate it, because when you see an incredible base, one of the first questions is always, "WHO DID THIS BASE??"

If you had already thought of these things, great! We just don't know about it. So here's your chance! Let us know, please, what a Community Helper might expect by way of income aid and/or prestige boosts. Because, no matter who applies or gets the actual jobs, they are giving up more than time and energy, and this should be recognized and allowed for.

--Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic
  • Widower locked this topic