A trivial question

Jimpy

24 minutes ago, Jimpy said:

Shouldn't this panel be on the inside of the elevator?

elevator.JPG

I call BS. Nowhere in the game does an elevator go up/down more than one flight of stairs. CoH architects are all red-siders

• Like 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Jimpy said:

Yes, it should. But then again, they advertise these boxes as elevators when they're clearly Wonkavators.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

I wrote an AE with an Ally whose "Lost" and "Reaquired" speech has him ranting about the elevators in Paragon.

• Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

3 hours ago, Jimpy said:

Old school buildings with elevators had a status panel showing where elevators were and which direction they were moving in.

Elevator_Control_Panel.jpg.481f237a14e5d5ac140d58baf2f4d7d6.jpg

I tend to look at that display as a version of that. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bopper said:

I call BS. Nowhere in the game does an elevator go up/down more than one flight of stairs. CoH architects are all red-siders

What about the Loyalist lounge in Nova Praetoria, where you enter the building then enter an elevator on the ground level which takes you to a penthouse lounge overlooking the Magisterm?

Or how about a number of buildings in St Marital have rooftop elevators that deliver you to ground floor lobbies?

There's also the construction elevators in Faultline.  I guess they're not taking you past one stop but they're mostly taller than a single flight of stairs.

There's also a door on the back of the large tower in the middle of Kalisti Wharf that takes you to a penthouse meeting area.  Not sure if there's actually an elevator involved but it's ground level to top floor again.

AE buildings take you up two levels, skipping the floor that has all the important stuff in the process.  The AE hospital elevator lacks an excuse.

Finally, actual hospitals.  If you're able to get outside the map, the standard hospital layout in all city zones actually consist of four floor: the lobby and three floors for Mediporters.  By respawning, you can potentially ride an elevator down three floors if your hospital bed is on the top floor.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

19 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

What about the Loyalist lounge in Nova Praetoria, where you enter the building then enter an elevator on the ground level which takes you to a penthouse lounge overlooking the Magisterm?

You can test this!  Take a team with one person who can enter the lounge and leave the other outside. Once your Loyalist aligned toon is in the Lounge then have the other select them for a green square and you can see where they are, what floor.  Plus if the person outside flies up to that floor, while they cannot see in, those inside can see the other player flying around outside.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

3 hours ago, Darmian said:

You can test this!  Take a team with one person who can enter the lounge and leave the other outside. Once your Loyalist aligned toon is in the Lounge then have the other select them for a green square and you can see where they are, what floor.  Plus if the person outside flies up to that floor, while they cannot see in, those inside can see the other player flying around outside.

Goldside is full of awesome worldbuilding that was never in the game before. It is a shame it wasnt more popular. I think that people just didnt want to not-play-with-teammates, and goldside pretty much obliterates team playing with all of the side switching mixed up mish content.

You can team, but like you mention with all the content, you have to be smart about it, or you'll just outlevel your material.  AMAZING place though, from Nova to Night Ward.

Oddly enough we DO get Gold teams (3 to 4 members) on a reasonably regular basis on Reunion.

3 hours ago, Hew said:

Goldside is full of awesome worldbuilding that was never in the game before. It is a shame it wasnt more popular.

At launch, Goldside required the Going Rogue expansion (either box set or digital download), which sharply limited the number of people right from the start.  After that, it suffered from the same problem that Redside does to this day - people seem to prefer playing heroes.  (And there's a network effect at work too, people want to go where there's lots of people.)

I also have to wonder how much level capping and replayability played into it.  Back in the day, I played through a couple of times, but then never went back.  (Though part of that is that Imperial City, shiny and soulless, made my skin crawl.)

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

part of that is that Imperial City, shiny and soulless, made my skin crawl.)

Really?  Nah.  That's half of Paragon for me.  Imperial is full of mad little things, like the Lodestone Technologies Building used to be a theater!  Stuff like that.

Panels outside of the elevator are not uncommon in large modern office buildings.  The idea is that you press which floor you are going to on the outside and then it directs you (and anyone else going to that floor) to a particular elevator in the elevator bank.  It helps efficiency by making sure you don't have 5 different people going to floor 25 get on 5 different elevators and you dont end up with someone headed to floor 50 stuck on the same elevator as a crowd headed to floors 10-18.  It then makes it so you don't have to all scramble and shove to hit your button once you're in the elevator.  

It also works as a soft security check by making you swipe a card or use a key fob outside of the elevator before selecting the floor you're headed to, so people can't easily go to floors that they're not supposed to be on.  

Granted, that's more of a thing in modern setups in big cities, and not something I'd expect to see in an early 2000's office in a game.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bopper said:

CoH architects are all red-siders

This is already my headcanon.  My main, Doctor Fortune, has his PhD in architecture, paid for by Arachnos.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

3 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

At launch, Goldside required the Going Rogue expansion (either box set or digital download), which sharply limited the number of people right from the start.  After that, it suffered from the same problem that Redside does to this day - people seem to prefer playing heroes.  (And there's a network effect at work too, people want to go where there's lots of people.)

I also have to wonder how much level capping and replayability played into it.  Back in the day, I played through a couple of times, but then never went back.  (Though part of that is that Imperial City, shiny and soulless, made my skin crawl.)

I always suspected that Goldside was the leftovers of the beta version of "CoH2".   It just has that feel of an attempt at a "new and improved" sequel that never got fully flushed out.  But there was enough good work completed that didn't want to throw it away either, so they put it in an expansion of the current game, instead.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

39 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I always suspected that Goldside was the leftovers of the beta version of "CoH2".   It just has that feel of an attempt at a "new and improved" sequel that never got fully flushed out. 

I think it was more of a case of 'what can be done within the limits of the game engine?' -- Praetoria went live far enough ahead of the closure of Paragon Studios that the devs were able to make a start on rolling the new features seen in Praetoria back to the rest of the game. The rework of Atlas Park shows what they had been able to get done -- all of the building changes with the new reflective windows, and the open-world instanced missions from Matthew Habashy and Aaron Thierry (Twinshot's extended tutorial arcs were basically just tweaked versions of existing mission types). Unfortunately, with the exception of the partial development of the unreleased issue that was polished and released by SCORE, we don't really know what the devs had planned with regard to further changes to the story and missions of the game.

One of the things facing the current Devs is obviously how to leverage existing assets to produce "new" things.  Lots of time and work involved in that.  And while there is a debate elsewhere on how to revitalize hazard zones (needed I feel) I still think a new 40-50 Hazard Zone could be added to Praetoria itself. Mainly an Underground for First Ward (and crossing into Night Ward). Since the Underground tile sets are all there already + the map sets from the Underground Incarnate trial, I think it could be possible. Fill it with all sorts of monstrosities and so on! Imagine running around a corner and into a pod of Seedlings!  

On 2/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, Erratic1 said:

Old school buildings with elevators had a status panel showing where elevators were and which direction they were moving in.

Elevator_Control_Panel.jpg.481f237a14e5d5ac140d58baf2f4d7d6.jpg

I tend to look at that display as a version of that. 

Not on every floor surely?  I mean, think how much you're paying for a panel for every floor.  In my experience every building still has some sort of panel like that, but it's away from the public, and you just have the one.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Not on every floor surely?  I mean, think how much you're paying for a panel for every floor.  In my experience every building still has some sort of panel like that, but it's away from the public, and you just have the one.

Typically main floor but in public view. After all, your heaviest traffic is the ground floor.