Generic Purple IO's [Semi Serious]

Galaxy Brain

image.png.cdcb473badd967c6fbc11e84e54b610b.png

So, random thought came to me today: Generic Purple IO's

The premise is simple, a Generic Purple will be a Unique IO (can't have 2 purple damages, or defense, etc) that is worth 100%/60% enhancement (depending on the schedule). Being purple tier, they still will be very rare to find, but can be a slotting boon for many builds. They are still subject to ED of course (if you slap a 100% recharge in a power, more recharge would be miniscule after), and take up a slot in your powers still when it comes to slot bonuses / etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Don’t you mean 53% and the corresponding values from other schedules? To match the single effect IO’s from other purple sets?

Basically they'd be equal to 3 (level 50) IO's for the cost of 1, which would be roughly 100% or 60% enhancement after ED.

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

Sounds great!

When you say "Unique" do you mean per power, or across the build (I suspect the latter)? I know I would love to free up a slot on every character build by only having to 1-slot hasten!

Also, for my favorite characters, it would feel nice and "prestige-y" to have purple Run and Jump IOs in Swift and Hurdle.

Do you envision these being craftable? Do the enhancements themselves drop? Would you put them in the Merit vendors?

4 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

Sounds great!

When you say "Unique" do you mean per power, or across the build (I suspect the latter)? I know I would love to free up a slot on every character build by only having to 1-slot hasten!

Also, for my favorite characters, it would feel nice and "prestige-y" to have purple Run and Jump IOs in Swift and Hurdle.

Do you envision these being craftable? Do the enhancements themselves drop? Would you put them in the Merit vendors?

Im thinking the latter where you can only have 1 purple damage, 1 purple end redux,  etc.

They would drop and be crafted the same way as purples.

• Like 3

GB we usually agree quite a bit on here, but I gotta ask why? Already a lot of power creep in all of us min/maxers' builds. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind 1 slotted hasten or use 1 generic purple damage io and 5 damage procs on a few choice powers, but still I'm trying to see the real need.

My best guess is that this could add more options for build diversity. It'd be interesting to see this in play in a sandbox like an actual "private" server.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

The premise is simple, a Generic Purple will be a Unique IO (can't have 2 purple damages, or defense, etc) that is worth 100%/60% enhancement (depending on the schedule). Being purple tier, they still will be very rare to find, but can be a slotting boon for many builds. They are still subject to ED of course (if you slap a 100% recharge in a power, more recharge would be miniscule after), and take up a slot in your powers still when it comes to slot bonuses / etc.

Thoughts?

Hmm. This actually goes back to how the developers actually thought people would enhance powers back in the day, instead of 6 slotting damage if they could handle it.

Ehhhhh... Not honestly sure what to think.

On the one hand, I'm going "well, unique, that can cut down some of how this could be abused." On the other I'm kind of cringing at what *could* be done with those other slots. For instance, as mentioned earlier - cap out your slottable recharge on Hasten with one instead of two or three slots, those slots now open up higher set bonuses that would otherwise not be attainable...

Even as someone who loves playing Khelds, triform, who *really* define "slot crunch," the thought of where that goes really makes me uneasy.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Not really. In fact, without set bonuses, this is actually a reduction in power. Yeah, you might be able to move slots around for more 6-slotting of sets you do choose. But that doesn't replace set bonuses.

The possibly bad thing would be if you tried to franken-slotting it. But as long as they follow enhancement diversification, it shouldn't matter.

Some of the IO sets are really terrible fits for some power. Dark Melee has some second or third abilities that never never get meaningfully enhanced by sets like healing or the to-hit(acc) debuff.

Shadow Fall is +Def and +Res, but you can really only slot for one of those.

I'm not sure these would allow catalyzing or if would be unable to catalyze but boost instead. There are benefits to both.

I feel like the game at level 50 is easy enough already and this circumvents some of the central restrictions of having six slots in a power (not by literally gaining slots, but by increasing their value so much that it might as well effectively be 7 or 8 slots). I guess I'm opposed to almost any power creep so take that for what it's worth!

20 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

Shadow Fall is +Def and +Res, but you can really only slot for one of those.

Even on SOs you can ED cap both def and res in Shadow Fall (and similar powers in Cold and Storm), though that comes at the expense of not slotting any end reduction. With IO sets it's pretty easy to get good enhancement values for both while also picking up end reduction, recharge, and set bonuses on the way.

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, arthurh35353 said:

It's a net loss in set bonuses and I don't think you get a the full +Def and +Res with just 3 of each.

There are a few power that really need their own set bonuses like that.

3 Luck of the Gamblers and 3 Gladiators Armors and you’re running into ED on both with good end slotting and a proc. Two procs if you take a small hit on resistance.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, Galaxy Brain said:

Thoughts?

I'm . . . actually shocked to see you of all folks post this.

I think this sounds like it would lead to even more power creep. /shrug.

But sure why not. LOL

EDIT: I can imagine this making proc monster builds even EASIER to achieve lol

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 1

Maybe just one per build, vs one of each type.  Seems a bit OP otherwise.

Might be a good influence sink though if they were purchasable from an npc, at a hefty price.

Edited by krj12

37 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

I'm . . . actually shocked to see you of all folks post this.

I think this sounds like it would lead to even more power creep. /shrug.

But sure why not. LOL

EDIT: I can imagine this making proc monster builds even EASIER to achieve lol

Sort of, though I think @Galaxy Brainwas thinking these would be unique, i.e. only 1 per build (They're purple enhancements after all).  One Truly Superior Damage Enhancement, one Truly Superior Accuracy Enhancement, etc.

I think, in theory, that's 26 Truly Superior Enhancements possible.

And yes a 50+5 is worth 53% already.  An Armageddon Damage (or other purple set single aspect damage enhancement) boosted +5 is 66.25% FWIW.  And begs the question can these be boosted as well (and considered naturally attuned etc.)?

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthoughts

This is an awesome... But why stop there?

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

It's a net loss in set bonuses and I don't think you get a the full +Def and +Res with just 3 of each.

There are a few powers that really need their own set bonuses like that.

image.png.b4c52b9dbdc51e67c16255be2d08ac1b.png

LotG +rech, LotG defense, and 4 pieces of Unbreakable Guard gets me to almost ED cap without any of the enhancements boosted while essentially getting 5 set bonuses. My alpha slot boosts defense but even ignoring that you're looking at about 41% defense enhancement, which is about 51% if you +5 both the LotGs.

This is on IOs, yes, but an even-level schedule B SO (which is what resistance and defense use) provides 20% boost and the schedule B ED cap is about 57%.

Edited by macskull

4 minutes ago, macskull said:

image.png.b4c52b9dbdc51e67c16255be2d08ac1b.png

LotG +rech, LotG defense, and 4 pieces of Unbreakable Guard gets me to almost ED cap without any of the enhancements boosted while essentially getting 5 set bonuses. My alpha slot boosts defense but even ignoring that you're looking at about 41% defense enhancement, which is about 51% if you +5 both the LotGs.

This

It's not particularly hard with any power to get a desired aspect enhanced to ED caps with 3 set IOs.  Doubly true if you start boosting to +5.  In the case of Arctic Fog, Steamy Mist or Shadowfall that's defense and damage resists.  Or with Short Circuit damage and endmod along with endred, recharge etc..

Even the Blaster sustains are easy to ED cap endmod and heal/absorb with 3 of each, I like 3 Performance Shifter and 3 Preventive Medicine or Numina to get double 1.88% HP bonuses.