Taunt on Melee ATs

The_Warpact

Ok I need some clarification on taunt on scrapper, brute,  and tanker. AoE vs single target, taunt power itself, how many enemies affected, etc.

Most links online are wwwaaayyy outdated, and I could have sworn taunt numbers were recently changed. I might be wrong I imagine alot of things its all the acid I did.

I thought I knew some shizz but recently ran into something that has changed so needs some answers that might fix it.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Scrappers have no innate taunt on their attacks, and their in-set "taunt" powers remain single target.  Brutes have innate taunt on their attacks that applies only to the target they hit with that attack, and their in-set taunts are five target cap.  Tanks have five man taunts in all their attacks (many of which got their AOES boosted) and their in-set taunts have five target caps.  

19 minutes ago, merrypessimist said:

Scrappers have no innate taunt on their attacks, and their in-set "taunt" powers remain single target.  Brutes have innate taunt on their attacks that applies only to the target they hit with that attack, and their in-set taunts are five target cap.  Tanks have five man taunts in all their attacks (many of which got their AOES boosted) and their in-set taunts have five target caps.  

Thought target cap on broots was 10 and 16 on tank?

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

17 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Ok so whats the actual numbers then?

You can use the Tags system on CoD to pull up powers that have an inherent taunt in their own list. https://cod.uberguy.net./html/tags.html?tag=inherenttaunt&q=bears

For the Taunts that come from Gauntlet/Punchvoke you have to dig a little deeper. For Tankers you'll find you're looking for in Gauntlet, as well as the Taunt power itself. For Brutes you'll find the info by working your way through Rage Proc Grant as well as the Taunt power itself. For Scrappers it's pretty much just in the Taunt Auras.  

You can also check the effects tab in MIDs for the powers you'd like to know more about and if there's a taunt applied the mag and duration will usually be there. This method is a bit more user friendly and easier to do compared to trying to parse through CoD.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

The most significant difference I find for scrappers is that most scrapper armor sets, even the damage and debuffing ones, lack taunt and do not take taunt enhancements.  Some do; I know Willpower's Rise to the Challenge does, and I believe Invulnerability has one as well; not sure about the other.  Fire does not.  Regen does not, and could not handle it if it did.  This is significant mostly to solo scrappers, who find themselves chasing down mobs and wasting time as a result. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

4 hours ago, Heraclea said:

The most significant difference I find for scrappers is that most scrapper armor sets, even the damage and debuffing ones, lack taunt and do not take taunt enhancements.  Some do; I know Willpower's Rise to the Challenge does, and I believe Invulnerability has one as well; not sure about the other.  Fire does not.  Regen does not, and could not handle it if it did.  This is significant mostly to solo scrappers, who find themselves chasing down mobs and wasting time as a result. 

Bio, Energy Aura, Invulnerability, Radiation, Shield and Willpower all have taunt auras.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

17 mobs is all anyone can taunt.  a tank can taunt 17 in about zero seconds.  a brute just jumps at 17 and hopes they think its funny.  a blaster tries to nuke the 17 and prays it all dies.

Your blaster is confused.  He tries to nuke everything hoping it all dies, 16 of them get fubared, a 17th gets really pissed and tries to fubar the blaster and the other 18+ stand around going, "Was that blaster trying to get our attention?"

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos, always with typos
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Scrapper taunt auras:

Against all Odds - 17s taunt

Invincibility - 17s taunt

Evolving Armor - 13.6 taunt

Beta Decay - 13.6s taunt

Entropy Shield - 2.25s taunt

Rise to the Challenge - 1.25s taunt

Ninjitsu, SR, Regen, Ice, Fiery, Elec, Dark - No taunt

Shield Defense, Invuln, Bio Armor, and Rad Armor are your viable team tanking scrappers. as their taunt effects have a really good duration tagged to them, this also makes them better for herding when solo. Entropy Aura and RttC have very weak taunt auras that will wear off nearly immediately upon moving away from a target. 

41 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

I skip taunt on Scrappers, take it on tanks and, on Brutes, well... it just depends on build and concept.  Seriously though, not really worth it on Scrappers IMO.  There's always some other power that will serve me better for scrapping. 

YMMV, of course.

I keep one scrapper with confront because for much of endgame content the only thing that needs taunting are AVs, which are single target anyways. Especially handy for Lord Recluse in Ms. Lib TF and sometimes as extra utility for a hami raid. Can also be nice for incarnate trials. Taunt auras, as above, handle the rest of mob fodder, as long as you don't choose one of those sets with a poor taunt aura or none at all. If your goal is a high damage team, a scrapper tank is the way to go. 

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Like 1

Currently on fire.

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Some folks don't do incarnates and don't rush-level to 50. 

First Ward and Night Ward, at lvl 27, solo, you have to be careful when running +2/x3 with bosses.

The Shepherds and the Awakened are no jokes.

That's true for pretty much any character, not just Blasters. There's a reason goldside has a tiny active population, part of which is because the enemy groups are really difficult for that level range.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

51 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Some folks don't do incarnates and don't rush-level to 50. 

First Ward and Night Ward, at lvl 27, solo, you have to be careful when running +2/x3 with bosses.

The Shepherds and the Awakened are no jokes.

Well blaster nukes on a true level 27 blaster are exceedingly rare, perhaps non-existent 😜 so he better be praying hard for a miracle.

2 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

I skip taunt on Scrappers, take it on tanks and, on Brutes, well... it just depends on build and concept.  Seriously though, not really worth it on Scrappers IMO.  There's always some other power that will serve me better for scrapping. 

YMMV, of course.

For Scrappers, Stalkers, and VEAT: I prefer Provoke (Presence pool) over the single-target Confront variants... the circumstances where I want an auto-hit on a single target, as opposed to grabbing more AoE aggro with the Presence pool attack (albeit with a chance to miss), are extremely narrow. If I really want to pull aggro from a teammate against a single target, I had better be doing more damage to that target.

3 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

Scrapper taunt auras:

Against all Odds - 17s taunt

Invincibility - 17s taunt

Evolving Armor - 13.6 taunt

Beta Decay - 13.6s taunt

Entropy Shield - 2.25s taunt

Rise to the Challenge - 1.25s taunt

Ninjitsu, SR, Regen, Ice, Fiery, Elec, Dark - No taunt

Shield Defense, Invuln, Bio Armor, and Rad Armor are your viable team tanking scrappers. as their taunt effects have a really good duration tagged to them, this also makes them better for herding when solo. Entropy Aura and RttC have very weak taunt auras that will wear off nearly immediately upon moving away from a target. 

I keep one scrapper with confront because for much of endgame content the only thing that needs taunting are AVs, which are single target anyways. Especially handy for Lord Recluse in Ms. Lib TF and sometimes as extra utility for a hami raid. Can also be nice for incarnate trials. Taunt auras, as above, handle the rest of mob fodder, as long as you don't choose one of those sets with a poor taunt aura or none at all. If your goal is a high damage team, a scrapper tank is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, tidge said:

For Scrappers, Stalkers, and VEAT: I prefer Provoke (Presence pool) over the single-target Confront variants... the circumstances where I want an auto-hit on a single target, as opposed to grabbing more AoE aggro with the Presence pool attack (albeit with a chance to miss), are extremely narrow. If I really want to pull aggro from a teammate against a single target, I had better be doing more damage to that target.

These are both very good points. 

I think the reason I don't typically worry about taunting on Scrappers is because I generally let the mobs glob onto the tanker, then cut in from the side to pummel them while their attention is focused on the bruiser.  When soloing, I seem to get by okay without it, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything, I suppose.

Granted, I don't try to solo AV's, so that would be a significant difference for me, personally.

3 hours ago, arcane said:

Are you implying that blasters are still squishy lol

To me they are, but I Brute a lot.  Was doing a stupid Master Magisterium run and the order came down to kill no pillars of light with Jacosta temp.... I died at least 8 times and prob 12.  It was brutal.  I die once in a while on a +4/x8 ITF.  Which is funny there, because the self rez is brutal on the mobs.  Then i have to reset the 10 toggles I run...sigh....

I have a couple 'armored blasters' and a ranged corruptor that is pretty good at staying alive.  But yeah, squish time.

And as long as we are on the subject.  Taunt.  My Dark/Dark Brute has no taunt. (I cant remember the last brute I took taunt with.  Always Tank, never Brute) My Dark/Darkhas a stealth aura....so...I fly (always on, fly, not hover) to where I want and hit my PBAoE +buff Soul Drain.  Let the mobs know I am there.  Then start laying out AoE.  I have a damage aura, and 2 mezze auras going.  I make the mobs around me miserable.  But the guys 30 feet away?  They see nothing.  No taunt, no see me, no problemo.

If I were designing the game,

I would make scrapper taunt power win any taunt contest - the one thing they taunt aggros on them.  But also give the taunt a buff power on the scrapper based on the difficulty of the thing they taunt (pet, minion, AV, etc.).  So scrappers would want to taunt the toughest thing in the room to get the biggest buff they could.

55 minutes ago, macskull said:

That's true for pretty much any character, not just Blasters. There's a reason goldside has a tiny active population, part of which is because the enemy groups are really difficult for that level range.

What, a challenge? In this game? For real?