Hero's Vs Villains

Redsky71

Oh, geez.  Where to start.

Probably here:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19655-weekly-discussion-53-how-to-increase-villain-population/

With additional reading:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18738-sciroccos-patron-arc-encapsulates-everything-i-dont-like-about-redside-writing/?tab=comments#comment-208906

The short of it:  There are a lot of reasons, some of which could theoretically be addressed, while others just boil down to personal preferences that are unlikely to change.  And with this being a social game, the more players Blueside, the fewer players for Redside (and yellowside), since multiplayer elements require players to be in places where they're able to team up.

But, for what it's worth, there are those amoung us which are dedicated to the Redside.

Myself (mostly) included.

• Like 8

Just a guess here but to compare, playing hero side is like playing in Metropolis while playing Villian side is like playing in Gotham. The two "sides" have a very different "feel" to them (at least to me), and generally speaking lots of people like playing more with shiny things. Of course with traditional Villian archtypes and powers available on hero side might also have something to do with it too. At least I think it does... 🙂

Btw, welcome to the game and Homecoming. I am a relatively new person here too, though not "new" to the game per say. So believe me when I say that Homecoming is the place to be. 😀

Edited by BjorJlen
Dang @TemporalVileTerror... ya beat me to it... lol
  • Like 5

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

Welcome to Paragon City and the Rogue Isles!

To answer your question: They don't know any better.

To seriously answer your question: Part of it is due to rose tinted nostalgia glasses.  Hero side launched a year-and-a-half earlier than the villain side.  Part of it is due to some people feel icky playing a villain, and only want to play the hero.  Part of it is that some people don't like the dressings of the Rogue Isles and find it too dark and grimy.  Part of it is that some people feel that their characters have little agency in the early game story lines.  Combine that with some people that prefer to play where the more people are, and you have the vast majority of people playing heroes.

The player number disparity between blue side and red side is worse on Homecoming than prior to sunset because the villain archetypes (which are better designed than the hero archetypes IMO), are now available hero side as well.

All of that being said, there are still quite a few people that play villain side, including myself.  I play villain side exclusively.  It just takes more work to get a team villain side, unfortunately.

• Like 3

My characters are either heroes or anti-heroes.  My few more "villainous" characters view it as irony that they are working on the side of the angels, but sure as hell don't have halos.  In other words, it's no fun to scare some rookie cop.  A hardened Arachnos member who knows they're completely screwed by someone who WON'T show mercy?  Much more fun.

• Like 1

A large part is also that here on HC alignment can be changed at will by seeing Null the Gull in Pocket D.  So ultimately you aren't stuck on one side or the other.  Personally, I prefer the blueside zones but the mayhem missions are much more fun.  So new characters normally start purple (either vigilante or rogue) so I can go between zones without alignment adjustments.  There are a few limitations when not full hero or villain but a quick visit to Null fixes that and you can immediately switch back afterwards.

• Like 1

Please excuse this poor mans question, but can't we just change our alignment by using the option next to the chat window instead of visiting Null (which is cool to btw)?

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

9 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

Please excuse this poor mans question, but can't we just change our alignment by using the option next to the chat window instead of visiting Null (which is cool to btw)?

If you're asking whether you are able to, the answer is no. If you're asking why you aren't able to, that's probably a bit more complicated.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

48 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

Please excuse this poor mans question, but can't we just change our alignment by using the option next to the chat window 

I think that’s just an emote?

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Chiming to note that I tend to go where the people are, so I'm more often blue than red.  But if I happen to see a LFM pop up for red, I'll happily swap over at a moment's notice.

I think like making a team on blueside, if you build one, they will come.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/13/2021 at 2:48 AM, Snarky said:

Also kidnapping civilians for live vivisections by Vahzilok leave some folks squeamish.

This, basically. I like the architecture and general feel of the Redside zones and a good villainous origin story can be a joy to write. The actual missions can be problematic, however.

I only ever went over there for Masterminds and Dominators, in truth. Now that those AT's are available to heros, there's little to draw me back there.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 9:48 PM, Snarky said:

Redside: Bestside.  Most do not have what it takes to be the best.   Also kidnapping civilians for live vivisections by Vahzilok leave some folks squeamish.  Go figure.

MILK DRINKERS!

Also, why let Dr. Vahz have all the fun! He keeps all the tastiest pieces for himself anyways.

Edited by rookery.
  • Haha 2

I would LOVE to see villain side starting zone get a rework. What it needs is

PARTY -The joker in the original Batman movie - you know? FUN!

Instead, it's the total opposite! Ugh, BORING drudgery. Pffeh! Get the neon ... ON! It needs bright colours, freakshow everywhere and so on. It DESPERATELY needs colour.

- take a look at the early missions Hero side. They're all about busting parties.

So why aren't villains all about HAVING parties?! 

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Too busy being grim 'n' gritty.  That said, you may have a point.  But don't you dare clean up the litter or brighten the skies! 

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

lol...

Like I said... Gotham at its grittiness. 😛

• Like 2

Just now, BjorJlen said:

lol...

Like I said... Gotham at its grittiness. 😛

I get the impression that gotham's about darkness, not grittiness.
And inside every building? A PARTY!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I've always been an avid defender of redside, and I'm usually on there myself trying to get teams started. Many of the reasons stated here are, unfortunately, accurate, but I believe the biggest part of it is the simple human nature of conformity.

"Everyone else plays heroes, so I'll play heroes too."

I, personally, love redside far more than blueside. The content is written better, the missions aren't nearly as annoying, the zones are cool and unique, and the enemies are more varied. But some people just prefer heroside and feeling like a "good" character more, which means hero population is usually higher. Because of that, the majority of the people who don't have a preference for one or the other gravitate to the place with more people.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 2

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

13 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

, the zones are cool and unique, and the enemies are more varied.

You lost me here. Sorry, what? No. 

Here's my experience: I've only ever solo'd red side for obvious reasons, so all I've ever done are missions.

But the zones are all extremely similar to one another. There's no way you can refer to them as "Unique". 

I don't know about enemy variety, but because the zones are so generic I don't really notice much variety in the dockworkers or builders or goldbrickers attacking me.

Internally, the offices are much MUCH more interesting (and yes I know it's just a skin-job) than the vanilla game had, but later missions blue-side had some good variety in them, too.

Edited by Herotu

On 4/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, Redsky71 said:

New to the Server. Was wondering why the hero's out numbered the Villains to such a large degree?

Pretty simple:  The odds of rolling a Hero and finding some 'assistance' to get some quick levels or via full teams forming DFB, Positron 1 & 2, etc.

(the AE building in Atlas is busy for some reason.)

Some folks, it seems, also like to be seen. Won't see many level 50 villains gyrating near the first arbiter in Mercy.

FYI some of the homecoming servers are busier than others:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/

Starting Redside may support solo play a bit better. At least starting as a villain doesn't have a player collecting roses for a NPC.. bleh

😉

[edit] I find Redside superior in most aspects.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

13 minutes ago, Herotu said:

But the zones are all extremely similar to one another. There's no way you can refer to them as "Unique". 

I don't know about enemy variety, but because the zones are so generic I don't really notice much variety in the dockworkers or builders or goldbrickers attacking me.

Internally, the offices are much MUCH more interesting (and yes I know it's just a skin-job) than the vanilla game had, but later missions blue-side had some good variety in them, too.

Skyway City, Kings Row, Steel Canyon, Talos Island, Brickstown, Galaxy City, and Atlas Park are, at least to me, just generic "cities with skyscrapers." The only visually distinct zones I can think of blueside are Independence Port and Founders Falls, and IP has the unique dishonor of being so goddamn huge I never, ever want to go there. If I'm playing redside, and I'm in any of those zones, I hardly ever have to look at a map because the zones are visually distinct and unique. Blueside I never remember where anything is because everywhere I look it's just more "generic skyscrapers."

You can have your opinion. If you like blueside, go for it. I'm not saying people who like blueside are better or worse. I'm stating my reason for preferring redside.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, GastlyGibus said:

Skyway City, Kings Row, Steel Canyon, Talos Island, Brickstown, Galaxy City, and Atlas Park are, at least to me, just generic "cities with skyscrapers." If I'm playing redside, and I'm in any of those zones, I hardly ever have to look at a map because the zones are visually distinct and unique. Blueside I never remember where anything is because everywhere I look it's just more "generic skyscrapers."

You can have your opinion. If you like blueside, go for it. I'm not saying people who like blueside are better or worse. I'm stating my reason for preferring redside.

Whilst I agree that the generic skyscraper zones are very similar to one another, we should remember that they are reflective of the early days of the game.

Remember also that as real world architecture has become more interesting, the developers did make newer buildings reflect that, too. Wentworths and AE are good examples.

My perspective of villain zones is that they are mostly docks, rubble and brick buildings interspersed with (to different degrees) arachnos architecture.