Do you play Heroes, villains, or Praetorians?

UltraAlt

Which sides do you play?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which sides do you play?

• I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes only
    • I play villains only
    • I play Praetorians only
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/21 at 03:59 AM

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

My own poll:

- This is a good poll

- This is a bad poll

- This poll is mostly good

- This poll is mostly bad

- Poll?  What poll?

I like to beat the bad guys with a pole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of my characters have great respect for life and no respect for property. They have varied reasons for having this pair of attitudes.

None of the CoX alignments are perfect fits for this outlook. Rogue is the closest fit, followed by Vigilante. In practice, I switch between these two alignments as needed (e.g. to get Accolade powers, access to Ouro missions).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

My own poll:

- This is a good poll

- This is a bad poll

- This poll is mostly good

- This poll is mostly bad

- Poll?  What poll?

Another poll with comments or critiques that fall into the ranges listed below to this poll.

1) Troll

2) Harassment

3) Sarcasm

4) Two of these

5) All of these

Sometimes it is hard to tell where a poster is coming from or their intent.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

13 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

Heroes? Villains? You can't force me into your trinary worldview. None of the above.

I not trying to force you to chose, the game does that when you create a character.

You have to create a Hero, Villain, or Praetorian.

Once you are in the game, the Character you can create can be a Hero (hero or vigilante), Villain (villain or rogue), or Praetorian. You can switch (but not to Praetorian), but your character is one of these at any given time - they can't be two of these at the same time.

Sorry, but that game mechanics.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I hate that data analysis will show I'm primarily blue.  Almost all of my "retired" characters (and there are many) are vig for meta-gaming convenience, not a preference for blue over red.

While leveling up I could, at any point in time, be rogue or vig, depending on what content in that level range I want to run.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to believe that people want to play blue side because they are "good" while they hack their human opponents to death with a broadsword.

That is why I have a hard time justifying a fire hero. At least with guns, I can claim rubber bullets. They only way I can use a lot of sets is to claim magic makes it different.

Oh that I could just stay Redside and collect all the badges and do all the teaming.  Sigh.  Not to be.

The Lament of a Redside Brute.  I played Brutes as my main for years....yet the Villain Alignment power is off limits.  You have to go Rogue to team in the game.  So instead of a kick to the engines at the start of combat I get a crap confuse power.  FU OG Devs.

I have moved onto Blasters.  The confuse power is even more worthless.  If I am at PB range  I either need to be nuking or running.  stand there and hope to get a few of the idiots to drool and smack their buddy like the 3 stooges?   no thanks.

Redside calls to me with themes and good story arcs and a well knit background.  But to make it in CoH/V you need to get your butt to Blueside and join teams.  Right now my character is Hero alignment for badges, ouro, etc.  So much easier to get invited to a team.  I can be in any blue zone and get invited to an ITF, Tinmage, or MC.  Normally I see an ad I need to hop through one or two dimensions to the correct zone.  "Still got room?"  "Nope, just filled...."  I do not even try for those teams 2/3 of the time because of this.  With my coalition at least I can say in coalie chat "I would join that..." and get a seat.  But LFG PUG?  If I really want one of those I need to go to the zone and wait for a team to form, then join.  Usually I craft there while waiting.

It is really being a second class citizen to be a Rogue on CoH/V.  But that is okay.  I let my hate feed me.  Screw you heroes.  I will still outbadge and outplay 95% of you.  Keep your weird story arcs and your belief Kheldians are here to "serve mankind."  Serve Mankind?  It's a cookbook you idiots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

It is really being a second class citizen to be a Rogue on CoH/V.  But that is okay.  I let my hate feed me.  Screw you heroes.  I will still outbadge and outplay 95% of you.  Keep your weird story arcs and your belief Kheldians are here to "serve mankind."  Serve Mankind?  It's a cookbook you idiots.

And this is why I like you.

• Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Oh that I could just stay Redside and collect all the badges and do all the teaming.  Sigh.  Not to be.

The Lament of a Redside Brute.  I played Brutes as my main for years....yet the Villain Alignment power is off limits.  You have to go Rogue to team in the game.  So instead of a kick to the engines at the start of combat I get a crap confuse power.  FU OG Devs.

I have moved onto Blasters.  The confuse power is even more worthless.  If I am at PB range  I either need to be nuking or running.  stand there and hope to get a few of the idiots to drool and smack their buddy like the 3 stooges?   no thanks.

Redside calls to me with themes and good story arcs and a well knit background.  But to make it in CoH/V you need to get your butt to Blueside and join teams.  Right now my character is Hero alignment for badges, ouro, etc.  So much easier to get invited to a team.  I can be in any blue zone and get invited to an ITF, Tinmage, or MC.  Normally I see an ad I need to hop through one or two dimensions to the correct zone.  "Still got room?"  "Nope, just filled...."  I do not even try for those teams 2/3 of the time because of this.  With my coalition at least I can say in coalie chat "I would join that..." and get a seat.  But LFG PUG?  If I really want one of those I need to go to the zone and wait for a team to form, then join.  Usually I craft there while waiting.

Ironically, I have been finding it easier to play a Rogue on Torchbearer compared to Excelsior.  Excelsior, like you said, PUG teams can fill in seconds.  On Torchbearer, they can take a few minutes to fill since it has about a third of the population.  Just enough time to teleport to the zone and then send a tell.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to believe that people want to play blue side because they are "good" while they hack their human opponents to death with a broadsword.

Humans are *really* good at cognitive dissonence. 

Steering FIRMLY clear of any remotely current events, I'll just drop back to literature

"I'm just one hundred and one, five months and a day."
"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

as with much satire, there's a fair amount of truth behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I not trying to force you to chose, the game does that when you create a character.

You have to create a Hero, Villain, or Praetorian.

Once you are in the game, the Character you can create can be a Hero (hero or vigilante), Villain (villain or rogue), or Praetorian. You can switch (but not to Praetorian), but your character is one of these at any given time - they can't be two of these at the same time.

Sorry, but that game mechanics.

The game can only restrict where I can go. It has no decision on how my characters act, or who they are.

It seems we have different definitions of how one plays a hero or a villain. 😄 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Good poll - there is pizza

Bad Poll - no pizaa

Pizza.jpg

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

The game can only restrict where I can go. It has no decision on how my characters act, or who they are.

It seems we have different definitions of how one plays a hero or a villain. 😄 

Apparently. we do different conclusions about what defines playing a hero or villain.

The poll that I created is about the game mechanics and not about a wish by some players that the game mechanics don't exist.

My conclusion in general is malicious intent and self-serving interests that injury others (especially intentionally) are a primary clues as to who is a villain.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

My conclusion in general is malicious intent and self-serving interests that injury others (especially intentionally) are a primary clues as to who is a villain.

Well hell you didn't need a poll for that, you could have just asked.

Yes, I am the Villain and everyone else are victims including heroes.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.