Do you play Heroes, villains, or Praetorians?

UltraAlt

Which sides do you play?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which sides do you play?

• I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes only
    • I play villains only
    • I play Praetorians only
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/21 at 03:59 AM

Even if you only play one character,  you have an answer for this.

Poll is open until the end of June

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I like all three starting zones, but easily everyone wants to save the day and be a hero.  

on my list of magic wishes (unlimited, time money and resources) there would be a large villain story update and new Arachnos stuff. 

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 minute ago, ChzBoi said:

Where is "I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians."  ...........All about equal in play time for me....

That doesn't fit into his view of the game.  UltraAlt has gone into a few anti-red side rants over the past several months, and thinks that those who primarily play villains are an insignificant portion of the player base who should be siloed away on one shard so blue side players on other shards don't have to see them nor interact with them.  This poll and thread is just an attempt to reinforce his view.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Praetorians primary all the way, to the extent that one of my mains is a 50 who never left.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I enjoy Praetoria in small doses. Of my forty-odd characters, four are Praetorian. Two of those are Praetorian analogs of my Primal characters, two have no counterpart (yet). All my Praetorians have gone or will go to Paragon when popping through the rift.

In my entire City of Heroes career, I've made nine villains: seven on Live (one of each original and epic villain archetype). After the Mercy revamp I decided I wasn't going to make any more villains, but come Homecoming (which put Breakout, Burke, and Kalinda back in), I remade the two I'd made jailbreak backstories for and leveled to 50 as villains. One of those did DFB and papers to 20, then tips to go Hero, and never looked back. The other is level 8 while I decide if I'm going to stick with the double agent story I had on Live (where I didn't want to bring her fully blue because I didn't want to lose my villain group base) or have her go Hero like the rest. Three more of my villains from Live got remade as heroes in Homecoming. The other two are my widow and soldier that I don't have much desire to recreate, and if I do they'll be going to Null and becoming Heroes at level 1.

The rest of my characters are heroes. Heroes, not vigilantes. My main has some badges I wouldn't have done if I'd made that decision sooner...

Spoiler
  • Deadly Combatant
  • Whip Cracker (There's a Vigilante mission where you can defeat Desdemona without completing the mission)
  • I'd have taken a hard look at whether I really wanted to do the Praetorian Power and Crusader arcs; skipping them would have locked out Tyrant, Obliterator, Agent of Praetoria, Rising Star, True to the Last, and Tempered Through Fire.
  • If I'd read the Abyss badge writeups, clearly written for someone less than pure of heart, I might have skipped those.
  • If I'd paid attention to the alignment on the Hall of Fame AE arc I chose to run for that badge, I might have decided against getting Cunning and Walks the Line; skipping those would have also locked out Architect XXV.

...but no vigilante missions completed or alignment changes.

Edited by Placta
Fix formatting.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

1 hour ago, ChzBoi said:

Where is "I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians."  ...........All about equal in play time for me....

Also, what about Rogues and Vigilantes?

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

That doesn't fit into his view of the game.  UltraAlt has gone into a few anti-red side rants over the past several months, and thinks that those who primarily play villains are an insignificant portion of the player base who should be siloed away on one shard so blue side players on other shards don't have to see them nor interact with them.  This poll and thread is just an attempt to reinforce his view.

So it's a Troll Poll? 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

I mostly play heroes. I do have a couple of vills, and way more Praetorians than vills.  I really really like Praetoria, I love the zones (so pretty!) and the storylines and dialogue are awesome, but I tend to avoid it on most ATs because I prefer tor run squishies / support, and teams are hard to come by Goldside.  So I just run MMs over there since I can easily solo the content, but I would play there more if there were more teaming options for def/troll/blasters, etc squishies

3 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

Same here. I was looking for the poll option that just said 'Yes'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I don't play Villains... I play Rogues. And Heroes.

And Rogues who pretend to be Heroes because they hate randomly getting dropped from blue-side teams if they dare to go to a base or through Ouro at the wrong time. <_<

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Mostly Heroes with token characters of other alignments.  A couple Rogues and Praetorians.  That kind of thing.

Also, I'm getting a little sick of these threads turning into Red vs Blue flame wars.  We ought to just tear down the barriers between Heroes, Villains and Praetorians.  Let us go anywhere and chum it up with anyone.  Leave moral consistency or lack there of in the group leader's hands.

This is a dead, zombified game that's likely losing more players than it's gaining.  The faction barriers don't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes.

I play all things, all zones, switching back and forth at will with the help of Null the Gull!

There are no true "heroes" anyway.  All the heroes go around punching, shooting, slicing, irradiating and otherwise maiming "villains" who are almost always just standing around. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bionic_Flea said:

There are no true "heroes" anyway.  All the heroes go around punching, shooting, slicing, irradiating and otherwise maiming "villains" who are almost always just standing around. 

We're not beating them up them for standing around, we're providing forcefully applied relocation services.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Glad to see so many reasonable and justified points of view getting shared here.  Really is quite nice.

Shame the initial framework of the poll is so loaded, though.  Probably would have been better to do it as a non-exclusive voting system, with options like:
"I love playing as a X."
"I like playing as a X."

"I dislike playing as a X."
"I hate playing as a X."

"I never play as a X."

Where each option is repeated with X as Hero, Vigilante, Rogue, Villain, Unaligned (yes, it's a thing), Power, Responsibility, Warden, Crusader.

That would have given people a better way to accurately reflect their feelings, I think.

• Like 1

I play heroes.  I will go to redside if there is a low level team running missions.  So maybe once a month I play redside for an hour.  But I take a hero to redside.

I have played goldside from 1-20 once post snap.  I like goldside content, but I prefer to team.  If goldside had teams I would be there.

I play everything, and really the only reason a majority of them end up as a vigilante (pure hero is not for me) is because it's easier to find teams when I want one.  That said, I still have plenty of rogues (same reason) and a couple goldsiders who haven't come to primal and been forced to pick one of the main sides.

13 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

It would be virtually impossible to play equal time between two let alone three, but understood that there is some very small percentage would indicate some level of equality between two or all three.

You are free to create your own poll. Be free.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Shame the initial framework of the poll is so loaded, though.

You are fully able to create your own poll.

Think you can do better? Create one.

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It would be virtually impossible to play equal time between two let alone three, but understood that there is some very small percentage would indicate some level of equality between two or all three.

How, exactly?  It's not like a player with three characters, one for each color (blue, red, gold) to play an hour or two on each in a given day.  I seem to get the feeling you're ignoring or dismissing perspectives that don't match what you already assume and want to be true.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Why would it be "virtually impossible?" The time one plays is not a finite amount. It's not like there's one pie of time that has to be slivered 3 ways, then doled out. Even if there were, you could have 33.33% of each, making the portions near identical.* 

Yeah, yeah, I know..."make your own poll!" 

• Like 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.