You're threatening me with going outdoors or actually doing some work?!

Avernal

5 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Reunion is dead too isn't it? Looks dead to me. 

image.png.14afb36efdb921111c261693fa4b6452.png

EDIT: stupid me. Need more coffee.  I meant to say COH:Rebirth.  Guess it's that,  Thunderspy or withdrawals y'all.

Edited by Techwright
'cause I was stupid!

If folks need something Homecoming-related to do during the downtime, now would be a good time to update vidiotmaps (click this link for the latest update) if you haven't done so recently.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I noticed almost a dozen new accounts opened on Cake:Evolution Discord last night after our servers went out.  Coincidence?

Ive eyeballed al other servers besides HC, I just prefer here.  But I won't lie, I wouldn't say no to HC taking that Companion Power Pool set for here... 🙂

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Crap.  I may need to actually start writing on my novel.  Cruel cruel world.

What is your novel about?  I love reading Web novels.  Some of my favorite books started out as web novels.

Voleur

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Voleur said:

What is your novel about?  I love reading Web novels.  Some of my favorite books started out as web novels.

Voleur

I have a decent first chapter on a vampire story about my main. I am not bad at origin stories.  Longer plot lines are seriously more challenging for me.  I need to losten to people like Neil Gaimen and just write.  Then fix everything in the rewrite and act like i planned it all lol

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I have a decent first chapter on a vampire story about my main. I am not bad at origin stories.  Longer plot lines are seriously more challenging for me.  I need to losten to people like Neil Gaimen and just write.  Then fix everything in the rewrite and act like i planned it all lol

Neil Gaiman has several courses on Masterclass that are totally worth investing in. In fact, there are a wide variety of authors on Masterclass to listen to if you have time, to up your writing mentality.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Gonna say up front, I am not a serious author of any kind. I'm a programmer by trade, and gamer by hobby. 

But I've done some novelization-style "Journal Entries" for my characters in various single-player sandbox games and.... it's pretty addictive once you get past the first few.  I start creating 17 chapter backstories for how my character even came to be where the game is set, and flesh out motivations / things they care about / non-existent NPC's of family members and friends they think about along their journeys, etc.

But that style of doing "one journal entry" at the end of each play session has really helped me both a) get in some writing, a little bit at a time, and b) peridocally read through each one, realized I've created discrepancies, and go back and figure out how to resolve them, keep their timelines straight, etc. It's kind of wierd and to some people it will sound like a self-inflicted second full time job, but it's really been kinda fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

I wonder how many secretly opened a backup Reunion account? 🤔   Desperate times, desperate measures.

Anything for a CoH dopamine fix, I suppose.

Yeah, no, I wouldn't want to start new toons on a new server that I'd have no reason to go back to again.  Plus, based on what I've read, this is still the best.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

After working out, I decided to put off continuing my playthroughs of WOlverine's Revenge and Silent Hill 1 til this afternoon. Instead, I'm booting up Pathfinder: King Maker.

Good game, solid game I've plugged a few hundred hours into. I keep telling myself I need to make a run through the finished product now.

Got eight party wipes in the main storyline. Damn river ghost isn't letting my kineticist rest, so I have maxed out Burn. And since my kineticist is also the main party healer until I can recruit a cleric that can cast Cure spells... That's a bit of a problem. Tried racing to Thorn Ford to clear that event... only I keep getting random encounters, ambushed camps, and the like. Which means even the bard is out of healing magic, and I'm low on potions.

So... I instead was doing the Beneath the Stolen Lands campaign. And... just got a party wipe after finally recruiting a cleric. And promptly forgetting to have said cleric rest and prepare spells. Also, the cleric only had the starting light shield and studded leather armor. I... think I screwed up. I should have hired multiple party members instead of buying equipment at the start.

Heheh heheh heheh

There are people in my house.  Why are there people in here? 

Heheh

They dont have a level or archtype.  They keep looking at me.  

Heheh

They say they are related,  does that mean we have teamed up before?

Heheheh

There are people in my house......

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I started reading a Light Novel set called Overlord, once I caught up with the author I looked for other things similar.  That is when I found fan faction.  It can be very fun to read other people's take on things you read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

Got eight party wipes in the main storyline. Damn river ghost isn't letting my kineticist rest, so I have maxed out Burn. And since my kineticist is also the main party healer until I can recruit a cleric that can cast Cure spells... That's a bit of a problem. Tried racing to Thorn Ford to clear that event... only I keep getting random encounters, ambushed camps, and the like. Which means even the bard is out of healing magic, and I'm low on potions.

So... I instead was doing the Beneath the Stolen Lands campaign. And... just got a party wipe after finally recruiting a cleric. And promptly forgetting to have said cleric rest and prepare spells. Also, the cleric only had the starting light shield and studded leather armor. I... think I screwed up. I should have hired multiple party members instead of buying equipment at the start.

It does not hold your hand at all. I usually save every bit of money I have to recruit new characters for the first hour or so, to get most of the bases covered (someone rougish, healer, spellcaster, frontline tank). Kineticist is good early on too, I want to say they do well against swarms which seem to happen a fair bit early.

2 hours ago, subbacultchas said:

It does not hold your hand at all. I usually save every bit of money I have to recruit new characters for the first hour or so, to get most of the bases covered (someone rougish, healer, spellcaster, frontline tank). Kineticist is good early on too, I want to say they do well against swarms which seem to happen a fair bit early.

Kineticist is a very good class overall. Starts a bit weak, but as you said... really effective vs swarms since even the single target attacks do full damage. Depending on your build a kineticist can be ranged dps, melee dps, battlefield control, healer (main healer initially, backup healer after a while), and so forth. You eventually can have 3 different elements for different damage types and to-hit types (normal AC or Touch AC). Want to cast Haste? A kineticist can do that, either for 1 round duration or full duration (at the cost of 1 burn). The only real drawback is that they suffer if you multi-class due to losing damage dice and other important benefits.

3 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

People gotta get their fix from somewhere MAN!!!!!! *shakes from withdrawl*

Seriously. It's like when a PC suddenly dies on you. Yes, I could spend a week and a half looking around and researching for what's a good box to replace it with, and what kind of components I'm really going to want to put it together to meet my specific needs.... Or I could drive like a madman to Micro Center and fling money at them like a seriously Jonesing addict, because I NEEDS MAH NEW COMPUTER!! NAO!!! 

Not that I've ever done this, you understand.   <nervous laugh>  No, of course not. This is purely hypothetical, of course!

• Haha 2

I have a Surface Go. I didn't want a Microsoft Surface Go, but my laptop had died. My laptop which I needed for running my character at Pathfinder Society sessions. My laptop which I used to access the internet and play certain games (like MMOs) when out of town and visiting my dad. Yeah, that laptop had died. And I needed a new one. But I didn't have the $1500-$6000 needed to get an actual laptop that would meet my needs. I wouldn't have the money for that for 2 or 3 months. But hey, a surface go was only $400 and ran on Windows 10. I had the money for that, and it would meet the most basic of my needs due to running Hero Lab and D20 Pro.

I fully understand the concept of throwing money at a sub-par solution because you "need" it right away.

EDIT:

Note that I could have, and probably should have gone to the store and bought more ink for my printer. That way I could just print off my character sheet and use paper & pencil to run my character. You know, like I had for the last 30 years. But nooo, running my character in Hero Lab was too damn convenient so I needed to replace my laptop right away.

Edited by Pixie_Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

I have a Surface Go. I didn't want a Microsoft Surface Go, but my laptop had died. My laptop which I needed for running my character at Pathfinder Society sessions. My laptop which I used to access the internet and play certain games (like MMOs) when out of town and visiting my dad. Yeah, that laptop had died. And I needed a new one. But I didn't have the $1500-$6000 needed to get an actual laptop that would meet my needs. I wouldn't have the money for that for 2 or 3 months. But hey, a surface go was only $400 and ran on Windows 10. I had the money for that, and it would meet the most basic of my needs due to running Hero Lab and D20 Pro.

I fully understand the concept of throwing money at a sub-par solution because you "need" it right away.

EDIT:

Note that I could have, and probably should have gone to the store and bought more ink for my printer. That way I could just print off my character sheet and use paper & pencil to run my character. You know, like I had for the last 30 years. But nooo, running my character in Hero Lab was too damn convenient so I needed to replace my laptop right away.

Mehhhhhhh, you should not have to use pen and paper in 2021 if you don't have to. 🙂