Voiceover and voice acting???

Not sure if im saying this right.  How hard would it be to add voiceover to cut scenes?  Example it Might be neat for the baf cutscene.

As for the voices.  I could see the community submitting their own takes, and even threads where we could vote on what we like.

Edited by RageusQuitus2

If there was ever a thing that would make me shake a tiny fist at heaven... that would be it. Unless it was so "optional" that I'd have to jump through flaming hoops to enable it, anyway. 

Not having god-awful voice acting outside of that one bit of the "new" Galaxy tutorial is a Good Thing. 😝 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Now I want RDJ to voice Aeon for his cutscenes!  I could only imagine how it'd sound for Manticore having to tell Shalice to cool it for the umpteenth time...

But I thought we all already ad-libbed the cutscenes on our own.  No one else does this?  >.>    <.<

Edited by Mezmera
  • Thumbs Up 1

Torn.  See, the captions kinda make it more comic book, and I like that.  A lot.  And there's more bad voice acting out there than good, there really is.  And you all know it.  I'm spoiled for voice acting since I'm a big fan of audio drama from Big Finish, and they know how to make "movies for the ears", but most VO is...ugh.  For every series like Legacy of Kain (Simon Templeman!) there's...oh, pick one.  There's too many.

So, it ends with this player saying nah, don't want to see (hear) that.

Edited by Darmian

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Didn't they add, or try to add, some in the "new" tutorial on live?

(Menu, options, graphics and audio, audio, voiceover volume - mine's set to 0%.)

I'd say it'd probably be a lot of work for something a lot of people end up wanting to skip (since the BAF cutscene was mentioned...)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

19 hours ago, Mezmera said:

But I thought we all already ad-libbed the cutscenes on our own.  No one else does this?  >.>    <.<

In the last mission of Shauna Stockwell's arc in KR, I always hear Chernobog's monologue: "My brother... He tells me not to hunt you ... He says killing you would be bad for business... That it isn't right time... Maybe that's true, maybe... Unfortunately for you... I never had good mind for business." in the voice of the Heavy from the "Meet the Heavy" TF2 video.

• Like 1

Most cutscenes wont even work with voice acting unless they are talking at super speed.  Making the cutscenes longer to give time for voice would need additional animations.  And then i would need to silence the voice since hearing them talk without their mouth moving would look wierd.

And an extra few minutes waiting for the cutscene in a BAF,  I guess i could make dinner or mow the yard or something.

23 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Better no voice acting than bad voice acting, and bad voice acting is exactly what you're going to get on Homecoming's budget.

Apparently there is an option built in already to turn volume to 0.  It wouldnt be enough you could disable it?

No, don't want voice-acting in cutscenes. Having some random dork try to make a scary voice for (for example) the Nictus talking to Romulus at the end of the ITF would just be dumb. Better to leave such things to the imagination.

Additionally, the text in most cutscenes goes past faster than someone could read them at a normal conversational (or dramatic) pace. Try reading off the lines aloud yourself in a few cutscenes if you don't believe it. To make voice acting work, the devs would have to slow down many of the cutscenes by a substantial amount, which would be an impact on players even if they have voiceovers turned off, since cutscenes are not skippable. If the BAF cutscene has to be slowed down by 10% or 20% (or whatever) to accommodate voicing, I guarantee there would be an uproar. 

In fact, if anything, I think they should remove the existing voice-acting from the Galaxy City tutorial, which (so far as I know) has the only voiceovers in the game. Two reasons it should go: first, it's not very good, quality-wise (especially the person talking about the morality choice). Second, for genuinely new players it may create a misleading impression that voice-acting is a big part of this game.

I'll second the 'No thank you' crowd, and I say this as someone who would enjoy the option of a fully voiced CoH. However as is it just doesn't seem feasible.

Adding in full voice acting - even just to existing cut-scenes - on the budget and time constraints that the Homecoming devs have would take absolutely forever to finish. Not to mention it would likely eat up resources that could have been spent on making things like new mission content, costumes, powersets, and zones, or how much longer it'd make developing new content take so that it could also be voice acted. That's not even getting into the subjective quality of any voice acting that would be attempted, or for that matter the forum arguments that would be spawned if they allowed players to vote on which ones they liked best. Hiring professional voice actors would take a fair amount of extra money, and using volunteer submissions (on top of increased quality issues) runs the risk of alienating folks who never get voted in.

Also, if the added voice acting was only in cut-scenes that'd make the lack of it everywhere else in the game feel more lopsided than it just being a 'final pre-shutdown addition' fluke that shows up once in the Galaxy City tutorial. Beyond all that, even if the Devs did go through the effort, professional/volunteer submissions, community votes, and implementation time required to put in voice acting everywhere it could be used... I'd expect that at least half of the player base would just immediately turn it off.

It's a nice idea, and might have been more warranted had the Live Devs had time to actually implement more voice work themselves, but as is it looks like too much work/expense for too little impact.

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.