Anyone else notice a slowly increasing number of people joining groups just to solo?

Bob_Loblaw

49 minutes ago, TJBC said:

I have a thought that is maybe not on point but feels related.

Why does it seem like every team leader insists on maxing out every mission with 8 players?

Could we limit the redundancy of corpse killing and increase the likelihood of teams sticking together if we as a community were more often running smaller teams where everyone felt more relevant?

Here is nothing more than an anecdote: When recruiting for TF, I don't wait for a full team. I'll take a look at the levels (and AT composition) of the teammates and make some assessment of potential difficulty *I* think we can handle and not have the arc feel like a slog. I'll ask the team how they feel about difficulty and spawn sizes if we are going to run with fewer than 8.

I don't really mind if other TF team leaders want to "wait for eight", but it does begin to feel like a waste of time to recruit for ten minutes or longer when there is a core ready to go.

I did a Citadel TF with 8. set at +0. We decided we could do it with splitting the team to help cover more ground and more so with the defeat alls. We cranked through it at a brisk pace. I think only I died on my blaster, and to be fair, I wasn't paying too much attention since it was such a cakewalk. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 10/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'd be quite happy to turn on player debuffed, enemies buffed and no insps far more regularly... if it improved rewards at all.

I’ve suggested this a few times. To me it would be a great way to leverage existing game systems for extra fun challenges.

If there were better rewards more people would buy into it!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I also think there should be extra rewards for challenge settings. Maybe something like +X% merits for having no insps, +Y% inf for having enemies buffed, etc. And perhaps one day, a "disable level shifts" and "disable incarnate powers" setting with rewards to match.

It makes no sense to me that players who enjoy challenge are penalized with slower run times and fewer rewards, while AE farmers are able to make many times the same rewards (inf, drops and exp). More balanced rewards that incentivize a variety of playstyles instead catering exclusively to a handful would be great.

10 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Cue complaints and pearl-clutching about the horrors of "Motel Leagues" farming ToT mobs in Peregrine in 5... 4... 

To be fair, there is a legitimate complaint.  They could be doing it in Kallisti Wharf instead and let villains join in on the fun; not to mention that it is a much better looking zone.  There are two spots in northern Kallisti Wharf that are just as good as the motel in Peregrine Island for farming ToT mobs.

Blue side privilege rears its ugly head once again. 😉

Edited by Apparition
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I actually teamed up with Stitch and a bunch of others in Kallista yesterday evening - got all the badges for the banners, the zombies, all the tips...just needed a dozen more costumes before I had to call it a night. 

Oh, and it was so funny - another group was there, invited our team to their league - we outnumbered them, so they shifted our team leader to their team. On the Discord, it was met with laughter, but an undertone of "how rude!". I can just see the next post being about "league leader shifting etiquette". 

The Trick-Or-Treat League, at the Paradise Hotel on My Island, is the only time that I can be honestly said to farm.

I use it to level up characters that have gotten stuck in the mid 30s, or a brand new character that I don't want to play up through the 0-29 game for the millionth time.

It only happens once a year. Get over it or get off of My Island.

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

How is it a problem though?

They are complaining about there being more heroes than villains, and they can't find a big ToT league to join on the villain-side.

And so, like a villain, they want everyone else to cater to them because heroes gaming in a hero zone is somehow "privileged".

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

32 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

They are complaining about there being more heroes than villains, and they can't find a big ToT league to join on the villain-side.

And so, like a villain, they want everyone else to cater to them because heroes gaming in a hero zone is somehow "privileged".

Not a fair analysis. There is an option for everyone to work together, cooperatively, like real heroes 😁

• Thumbs Down 1

22 minutes ago, Jitsurei said:

Not a fair analysis. There is an option for everyone to work together, cooperatively, like real heroes 😁

Real heroes do not work with villains.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Aw! Some of my favorite stories are when the villains and heroes work together.

DCAU Justice League's "A Better World" comes to mind. Also Batman Brave and Bold (arguably the most COH-like of his animated adventures; all PUGs) "Deep Cover for Batman/Game Over for Owlman" complete with "Curse you for your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" moment.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

32 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Tell that to just about every Marvel and DC hero who has, at one time or another, been forced to work with a Nemesis "for the greater good" or other trope.

I think the Nemesis is technically a Rogue at that point 😉

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Tell that to just about every Marvel and DC hero who has, at one time or another, been forced to work with a Nemesis "for the greater good" or other trope.

Yes, you found the exception to the rule. Congratulations.

Heroes typically work against villains. They occasionally work with them to save the world. That's an exception that trick-or-treating doesn't meet.

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Reworded my post so that I'm not such a jerk.
  • Thumbs Down 1

The thread that just won't die, let's take it to 100 pages!

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)