Windows 11 and gaming performance

Techwright

Message:  Pre-built Windows 11 computers will be mandated to have a security feature, VBS, active.  This has been tested and shown to reduce gaming performance by 25%, some up to 28%. 

Source (and greater description):

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-pcs-can-hobble-gaming-performance/

I'm curious to see how this will affect, if at all, Homecoming.  "Curious" being the equivalent, of course, to "can't tear my gaze from the train wreck as it happens."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Probably won't be noticeable for CoH, but disappointing to hear.

I'm planning on sticking to Windows 10 (Edu version, I swear to Microsoft I'm under 13, and using O&O utils to hobble what 's left).

But I'd be remiss in not mentioning that CoH runs very well under Linux. Dual boot is a good thing. You can even softlink your Linux install to most of the data files on a mounted Winders partition to save space. 

So far I have yet to see a compelling reason to switch to 11. But they had to pry 7 from my cold dead security-conscious hands.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Not going to worry about it 'til the first few patches are released and/or I have reason to upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I won't be upgrading to Windows 11 as my motherboard is too old. And unless I get a lottery win I can't afford to start replacing things, especially things that still work perfectly.

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 3

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

No Windows 11 for me until my next build.  I have NEVER upgrade the OS on an existing system.  It's just too much of a mess.

Heh, my main is still on 7, I wiped my 10 to test the hacked 11 on this system (same hardware) and it's not exactly happy on my rig. Hence my other thread about build wishlist. I've tested it somewhat in VM/Parallels/SameGenAsPC and it's really snappy when it's happy. I've not done any true game testing on it though. CoX does install just fine and I get into atlas, fly around, etc ok.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

18 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I've already tested Win11.
However, I'm going to give it at least a year of reboots.

We've got til late 2025, so there's plenty of time, game wise.

• Thumbs Up 3

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

1 hour ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Fortunately(?), Win11 doesn’t support my cpu. Yay?

It doesn't support mine by a long shot, but yet I'm running it. 😛

32 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Always?

From all I can find, yes, except maybe on employer/government computers with the admin access locked.

Win 11 may be the most awfulest thing to ever hit gaming, but if so, it's not because of this.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Well, three of my systems prompted that I can update.

Also seeing notes that Win11 causes a performance hit on Ryzen systems of 10-15%, though AMD's working on a patch. The one system that's not Ryzen is my older laptop... that's running a 7-series Intel CPU, and is deemed "too old" to run 11 (... yeah, right.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

The one system that's not Ryzen is my older laptop... that's running a 7-series Intel CPU, and is deemed "too old" to run 11 (... yeah, right.)

Not because of the i7 tho.  Must be something else on your laptop hardware that's not supported by Windows 11 drivers.

If you turned off Secure Boot or your TPM chip in BIOS/UEFI (like I did, out of an abundance of caution for installing Linux) you may need to enable them to make Windows 11 or the PC Health Check util happy. I did. But only 1 i7 (the Intel Core i7-7820HQ Microsoft used for their $3500 Surface) is deemed worthy.

Sorry!

OTOH, it should work fine if you install 11 unsupported. You just may need to jump through hoops to keep it updated.

BTW, it looks like the DCH driver system (the non-uninstallable, no choice-style-drivers that I avoid) is the default for 11. No word I've heard of on workarounds yet. I'm picky about drivers and insist on being able to roll back. I'll stick with WHQL drivers, thanks!

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On the other hand, some of the loudest trash-talk tossed at Windows was over its weak security and lack of virtualization. So MS finally adds pretty decent virtualization... and the gaming community throws a spaz because they can only get 80fps now.

Sigh.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Fair point!

I'm old enough to remember the Balmer days of "Linux is a cancer," so for me they have a lot of karma to work off. But, yeah, apart from the telemetry stuff, they have somewhat cleaned up their act. 10 is objectively more secure than 7.

Imagine if NCsoft said, "Homecoming, go ahead, have fun!" But they didn't make it official. That's kind of how I feel.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:09 AM, WanderingAries said:

We've got til late 2025, so there's plenty of time, game wise.

This. I won't be touching it for at least a year. Year 1 you're basically a beta tester. Once they and manufacturers have had time to release patches and fixes I'll consider it.

14 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

If you turned off Secure Boot or your TPM chip in BIOS/UEFI (like I did, out of an abundance of caution for installing Linux)

Out of curiosity, I ran Health Check on my gaming PC last night and this is what it ran into.  I don't recall consciously turning that off so maybe it was just the default on my motherboard. 

I suppose if I enable that it will tell me the next problem if it sees one?  I bought this mobo and the CPU three years ago along with memory and NVMe flash drive, so if it's already considered "too old" for Windows 11, I'm just going to sit back and laugh at Microsoft.  What are they aiming this at?  5% market share?

Yeah, it's worth a try. Never hurts to know. At the least you can keep in mind when deciding whether to upgrade your hardware down the road.

And, yes, it keeps checking off items until you satisfy it.

3 years may be on the bubble. It at least a Ryzen 2 or 8th-gen Intel box? Then you should be good.

Er, I mean, you may be vulnerable to temptation!

Yeah, it's an i7-8700K.    I don't do CPU upgrades very often because they historically haven't made that much a difference in games until they're at least 5 years old.  The CPU before this one was a Sandy Bridge i5.

It's the GPUs I update more frequently... or at least I used to before they became impossible to buy.  This 1080ti might be the oldest GPU I've ever had in a PC. 🤪  

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

Yeah, it's an i7-8700K.    I don't do CPU upgrades very often because they historically haven't made that much a difference in games until they're at least 5 years old.  The CPU before this one was a Sandy Bridge i5.

It's the GPUs I update more frequently... or at least I used to before they became impossible to buy.  This 1080ti might be the oldest GPU I've ever had in a PC. 🤪  

Heh, I'm running it on Ivy Bridge both on hardware and in VM with a GTX 970 FTW on the hardware version. :p

As for the TPM, I doubt most people who Do have it on custom builds ever remembered/considered turning it on.