question about Leadership toggles

Wavicle

Same reason as for the rest: takes time and effort and they might even decide it should stay visible anyway.

I found it a bit annoying that Afterburner got recently changed, specifically had the Minimal FX added because it didn't exist... and it has exactly the same FX as before despite being reported as it doing nothing. Unlike for example Minimal FX for Hover or Fly which removes the smoky trail.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

While I'm in favor of minimal effects (I'm glaring at you, bowl of the Mothership Raid), I regret to suggest human nature may be against you, anyway, even if the minimal effects were granted.  All  I have to do is look at team ice shields, which have minimal effects, but most of the ice wielders I've worked with still hit you with that clunky massive iceberg look. 

Yeah... at this point, I'm in favor of every toggle power having a "no visible change" graphical option.... including invis/stealth/hide.  Let us see our costumes.  

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

All  I have to do is look at team ice shields, which have minimal effects, but most of the ice wielders I've worked with still hit you with that clunky massive iceberg look. 

New option for Null the Gull:

Make all buffs cast on me have minimal visual effects.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Yeah... at this point, I'm in favor of every toggle power having a "no visible change" graphical option.... including invis/stealth/hide.  Let us see our costumes.  

+1 in general and +2 for the stealth part specifically, lol. 

13 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I know this has gone in Suggestions before, which is why I'm not putting it there.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows WHY there isn't a Minimal Effects version of the Leadership toggles that gets rid of the icons floating around you? They're really annoying.

There must be something that can be done about this in your graphic settings, because almost all of my characters get Maneuvers, if not Assault as well - and I have no idea what graphic effect your talking about. I never see any effects on my characters, unless it's a Fire Shield or that blocky ice shield cast by a teammate. Have you tried reducing your graphic settings to performance or recommended? 

47 minutes ago, Ukase said:

There must be something that can be done about this in your graphic settings, because almost all of my characters get Maneuvers, if not Assault as well - and I have no idea what graphic effect your talking about. I never see any effects on my characters, unless it's a Fire Shield or that blocky ice shield cast by a teammate. Have you tried reducing your graphic settings to performance or recommended? 

If you'll zoom in a bit you'll see that Maneuvers and Focused Accuracy (others too I guess) will have floating icons around you. FA shows reticules, Maneuvers has the little purple shields same as if we had eaten an inspiration.

You can turn off  visual effects on your own character for any power pool.

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"
This will turn off your auras and armors visual effects for you, in your view only, unless you scroll 300 feet out. Others will still see them. change the number as you desire  to make the effect re-appear.  50-100 is a good middle ground.
/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 0" will turn all the visual fireworks back on.
Pick two keys you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Sovera said:

If you'll zoom in a bit you'll see that Maneuvers and Focused Accuracy (others too I guess) will have floating icons around you. FA shows reticules, Maneuvers has the little purple shields same as if we had eaten an inspiration.

And PS:  those graphics move upwards or downwards depending on if they are a buff or debuff effect on you or your foes.

11 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

You can turn off  visual effects on your own character for any power pool.

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"
This will turn off your auras and armors visual effects for you, in your view only, unless you scroll 300 feet out. Others will still see them. change the number as you desire  to make the effect re-appear.  50-100 is a good middle ground.
/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 0" will turn all the visual fireworks back on.
Pick two keys you like.

I wish I could specify JUST Leadership though. 😞

Are we talking about the glowie effect on your head, or the generic buff icons that display whenever someone is under the effect of a tohit buff, etc?  I was under the impression that those buff effects are separate from the actual power, sort of like how hitting an enemy with an attack that debuffs them will show an animation on said enemy...

1 minute ago, biostem said:

Are we talking about the glowie effect on your head, or the generic buff icons that display whenever someone is under the effect of a tohit buff, etc?  I was under the impression that those buff effects are separate from the actual power, sort of like how hitting an enemy with an attack that debuffs them will show an animation on said enemy...

I am talking about the generic buff icons. The little flash when you initially turn on the toggles doesn’t bother me.

Just now, Wavicle said:

Just in general I think those generic buff icons whether they are for leader ship, inspirations, or anything, should be temporary. They should appear when you initially turn on whatever ability it is, and then they should go away. In every single case.

I think those fall under a separate thing, though.  If I am wrong, please correct me, but I believe that whenever you are receiving a tohit buff, you get such an effect, like whenever you are slowed, a little effect plays around your feet.  I think it would require an additional change beyond just changing leadership...

Just now, biostem said:

I think those fall under a separate thing, though.  If I am wrong, please correct me, but I believe that whenever you are receiving a tohit buff, you get such an effect, like whenever you are slowed, a little effect plays around your feet.  I think it would require an additional change beyond just changing leadership...

it’s inconsistent. Some powers give you the icons others don’t.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I did some testing, and it seems that when a character or enemy is under the effects of a buff or debuff, it plays an effect.  I think it's tied to simply being under such an effect, and not the source of said effect.

For instance, here is a low level of character of mine under the effects of a medium yellow insp, the P2W def/rec buff, and an enemy hit with a T1 Sentinel attack, which applies a dmg res debuff...

tohit buff.jpg

def buff1.jpg

dmg res debuff1.jpg

Yes, but like I said, it's inconsistent.

For example, Maneuvers gives everybody the Defense Up buff icon. But Force Fields, Ice Shields, Fortitude, and many other abilities have their own graphics and do not include the generic icon.

Freezing Rain, for another example, causes a Defense and Damage Resistance Debuff, but its graphic on mobs is just a Cold effect, not generic Shield icons of any color.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another effect that gives the shields graphic is the Mastermind Pet Aura IO powers. Interestingly enough though, Supremacy, the Mastermind Inherent buff, doesn't display the Tohit/Damage effect when the pets are in range.

Consistency would be really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Arbegla said:

Another effect that gives the shields graphic is the Mastermind Pet Aura IO powers. Interestingly enough though, Supremacy, the Mastermind Inherent buff, doesn't display the Tohit/Damage effect when the pets are in range.

Consistency would be really nice.

Yep, and the resist shield fx that the pet +res aura IO's give are the worst of the bunch.  Garish BRIGHT orangish flashing shields as you can see in the pictures above by @biostem (x6 for your 6 pets),  They are horribly ugly imo.   In comparison the fx that tactics gives is hardly noticeable, the defense one is in between.

That people get annoyed by my buffs is something that I think about.  Perfect (and currently worst offender I believe) example is a /Dark affinity controller with the power "Fade".    The last thing I want to do is turn my whole team, against their will,  into nearly invisible ghost like creatures with glowing eyes and obliterating their costumes and their whole character's identity.  And yet that's what Fade does, and unlike things like ice shields there isn't even a min fx option that maybe would stop it. 

Dark Affinity is such a fun powerful set on a controller, but I always feel a bit iffy about playing it (and it is a bit hard to justify not using Fade as it is so good, but on stronger teams I actually do skip using it just because I worry about forcing it on other players).

Along with a lot more minFX options, would definitely also be onboard for there to be that Null the Gull option that lets people opt out.

5 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

The last thing I want to do is turn my whole team, against their will,  into nearly invisible ghost

I made a iLL/Dark troller for Halloween and I have really enjoyed it. But yeah this bothers me.

I try to only use Fade and Shadow Fall when the team is actively engaged during missions. To at least minimize effect.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:56 AM, Sovera said:

Ah...I play as zoomed out as I possibly can. I want to see what might be coming from any direction without having to turn my character. 

I am phasing away from running leadership toggles.  Over the last year or so it has become regular for me to pick up all three

then a friend pointed out most teams and leagues that are good do not need them.  Most teams that might benefit from them are so scattered and chaotic that they will be minimal in value.   

so i plan to build and slot in other wayseven maneuvers is getting a hard second look on builds I consider it standard for