Blaster Knockback powers

Snarky

I have successfully not posted this for….many days.  But i just worked 24 of the last 48 hours and the Snark is roaring…

In a world…where we have went through so much…

In a dimension…that so many of us thought we had lost…

In a time…when so many of us are confused…about why the H the NEW Blaster set is all about knockback!   Did someone not bolt your robotic components on straight before you sat down to design this set?  Have you quit cigarettes cold turkey and this was the brain dying? Did you get attacked by a water monster and the earth seemed comforting?   Just tell us, we will listen.  We will judge, sure.  But we will listen.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

why the H the NEW Blaster set is all about knockback!

Seismic Shockwaves deals knockdown (KB < 0.75).  Upthrust deals knockdown.  Meteor deals KB.  That's only three powers, including the set mechanic (Seismic Shockwaves), and only one of those three is full KB, so your assertion, that the set is "all about KB", is exaggeration.

If the real question was, "Why does Meteor deal such heavy KB?", then the answer is "Verisimilitude".  Real meteor strikes release an enormous amount of energy, causing debris to fly far, far away from the impact site.  The impact can be so forceful that it scatters rubble for hundreds, or even thousands, of miles, and sometimes even into solar orbit.  In fact, there's an entire group of meteorites here on Earth which studies and evidence suggest originated on Mars.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

Seismic Shockwaves deals knockdown (KB < 0.75).  Upthrust deals knockdown.  Meteor deals KB.  That's only three powers, including the set mechanic (Seismic Shockwaves), and only one of those three is full KB, so your assertion, that the set is "all about KB", is exaggeration.

If the real question was, "Why does Meteor deal such heavy KB?", then the answer is "Verisimilitude".  Real meteor strikes release an enormous amount of energy, causing debris to fly far, far away from the impact site.  The impact can be so forceful that it scatters rubble for hundreds, or even thousands, of miles, and sometimes even into solar orbit.  In fact, there's an entire group of meteorites here on Earth which studies and evidence suggest originated on Mars.

So that power should be knocking mobs to the moon zone, right?  😉  

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

It's the nuke.....  You get a choice of a nuke you can only 5 slot so you can throw a nerf proc in it (reports are that does not work perfectly) or you get a nuke Energy Blasters (long shunned by fast teams) would be jealous of the knockback on....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

57 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you get a nuke Energy Blasters (long shunned by fast teams)

The only shunned NRG blasters were the ones that had no clue how to use KB.  Those of us that do know enough to 1.) NOT use it as the alpha strike and 2.) Use it to effectively send running mobs flying right back on top of the tank. 👍  Also if all the mobs are dead who cares where they landed? 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, iBot said:

The only shunned NRG blasters were the ones that had no clue how to use KB.  Those of us that do know enough to 1.) NOT use it as the alpha strike and 2.) Use it to effectively send running mobs flying right back on top of the tank. 👍  Also if all the mobs are dead who cares where they landed? 🤪

1) So limit the use of your nuke.  (I tend to lead with mine whenever it is up.  But okay.  Just keep that for...some other time.

2) Energy Blast has 2 circular AoE KB powers.  Are there Tanks in each direction on your team.  a) do you really need that many tanks b) how do you coordinate throughout the mission so they always encircle mobs?

3) So you only KB nuke easier targets?  Interesting strategy.  Does that work for you?  Or do you only run easy content?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

a nuke Energy Blasters (long shunned by fast teams) would be jealous of the knockback on....

Do you mean, they'd be jealous because it's ranged, thus usable to knock foes in a direction of their choice, or were you under the impression that the KB was higher for Meteor than for Nova (it's the same magnitude for both)?

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

12 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Do you mean, they'd be jealous because it's ranged, thus usable to knock foes in a direction of their choice, or were you under the impression that the KB was higher for Meteor than for Nova (it's the same magnitude for both)?

I thought it was higher based on the visual squirts I have seen lol

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

1) So limit the use of your nuke.  (I tend to lead with mine whenever it is up.  But okay.  Just keep that for...some other time.

2) Energy Blast has 2 circular AoE KB powers.  Are there Tanks in each direction on your team.  a) do you really need that many tanks b) how do you coordinate throughout the mission so they always encircle mobs?

3) So you only KB nuke easier targets?  Interesting strategy.  Does that work for you?  Or do you only run easy content?

1.) Yes I rarely use my nuke.  When I do is when I'm reasonably sure that anything sent flying will die when landing and anything that doesn't I finish off with a 1, 2 or quick snipe.  Also see #3.

2.) I rarely if ever use explosive blast so no need for that.  I tend to use power push to send a single target flying back to the tank.  Otherwise, the mob is dead before anyone really notices it is missing.  I love seeing a blast chase a mob around a corner to finish it off.

3.) For the record I'm one of those crazy people you complain about all the time that likes running stuff at +4.  I'm also weird in that since I like to stay at range I rarely use my nuke anyway because then I'd have to get close to the mobs which tends to scuff my paint which I really, really, really... hate.

• Haha 1

Back on live my Grav controller slotted Lift with knock back enhancements with amusing effects. Especially on lowbie Hellions in Atlas 🤣

It’s fun trying to lift mobs higher than tall buildings..!

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have successfully not posted this for….many days.  But i just worked 24 of the last 48 hours and the Snark is roaring…

In a world…where we have went through so much…

In a dimension…that so many of us thought we had lost…

In a time…when so many of us are confused…about why the H the NEW Blaster set is all about knockback!   Did someone not bolt your robotic components on straight before you sat down to design this set?  Have you quit cigarettes cold turkey and this was the brain dying? Did you get attacked by a water monster and the earth seemed comforting?   Just tell us, we will listen.  We will judge, sure.  But we will listen.

I just think that it's bulls**t that no other secondary affect from any other powers in game that requires people have to literally slot something in that power to negate knock back their secondary affect and turn it in to knock down something other than the secondary affect it comes with. Sure, there are players who like knock back...you don't run in to them often and when I do run in to them, I will not be teaming with them for very long. My SG at one time had a no knock back policy, lol. If you played a set with Knock Back, you had better have slotted it with a KB to KD IO or you're history.

My point is, no other secondary affect in game is hated like sets with KB. No other secondary affect has people buying IO's that cost upwards of 2 mill influence and wasting a slot just for that very reason. On my EN/EM Blaster, I have to literally waste 3 slots (4 if I took Power Push) in order to slot a KB to KD in all three powers. No other secondary affect is so unwanted that players will literally sacrifice a single slot to negate it, much less three.

IMO, there should be a single slot that you can slot a KB to KD IO in it per each power that has Knock Back, it can only be slotted with a KB to KD IO and it will show as a seventh slot on each power that has Knock Back. Many players feel Knock Back is complete garbage, so I can understand Snarky getting a bit snarky about yet another power set that requires yet more KB to KD IOs and having to sacrifice a slot to do it.

Also, that meteor didn't come from space at thousands of miles per hour, they are created out of thin air about 100 feet or so above your targeted location. So I am not buying, "But muh meteor comes from Mars!" explanation, lol. (Sorry, Luminara, but I had to, hehe)

Edited by Solarverse
Edited for clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I just think that it's bulls**t that no other secondary affect from any other powers in game that people have to literally slot something in that power to negate knock back and turn it in to knock down.

Repulsing Torrent in Kinetic Melee wonders how how it does not qualify.