Positive Gamer No Longer Playing CoH, Very Horrible Story

Solarverse

1 hour ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Why the hell was this posted in the first place?  Nothing good could have come of it.

Because I thought maybe...just maybe, people might be understanding and wish the guy the best, while agreeing that harassment of that level (considering if it is true) is never acceptable behavior.

Clearly I was wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Ok, for those of you who are interested, here's the link to the reddit post they're talking about. It's kinda silly, in my expert opinion, to start talking about another thread and then not provide a link to it.

There's no real need. It's about what you expect. People are arguing back and forth about the drama that Positive Gamer brought on himself and his own burnout, which he blames on others of course. Yay, today's society where people have been brainwashed into thinking that nothing's EVER their fault!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Doxxing somebody online who doesn't deserve it (which is like, 99% of people) is wrong. 

Actively being a rampaging douchebag online is also wrong. 

Both things can be and are true at the same time. 

• Thumbs Up 10

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Ok, for those of you who are interested, here's the link to the reddit post they're talking about. It's kinda silly, in my expert opinion, to start talking about another thread and then not provide a link to it.

There's no real need. It's about what you expect. People are arguing back and forth about the drama that Positive Gamer brought on himself and his own burnout, which he blames on others of course. Yay, today's society where people have been brainwashed into thinking that nothing's EVER their fault!

In all fairness, he did say that a lot of what happened was on him, I think his main issue is how people reacted to the things he has done...knowingly or unknowingly. And I agree with him. He's not perfect...nobody is. I don't think he believes otherwise. He did admit fault to his own mistakes and even understands that his logic may be flawed on some things. But that is not what it was all about. It was about how others behaved in response to the things he has done. I mean, when players are trying to find out where you live and post that information online for others to see, that puts your life at unnecessary risk. That is the kind of behavior that literally gets people killed. This is why I posted this, because people who behave in this way need to be held accountable.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Disclaimer - I don't know PG from Atom Ant, and I don't get the whole streaming thing at all.  That said, here are the bullet points I took away from it:

• 4:49 His group accidentally crashed a regular Hami raid and he, personally, got a lot of harrassment from it for a long period of time.
  • 8:37 A lot of his SG officers were kicking people for political beliefs and/or "not being good enough."  After trying (and failing) to get those officers to stop, he basically stripped all officer privileges except one.  Harrassment ensued, almost to the point of doxxing.
  • 16:30 Some alleged fallout with the CoH team about streaming a beta server event or something.  I don't really want to say more, because it sounds fuzzy and circumstantial to me.
  • 21:52 Personal burn-out.  We've all been there.

Points 2-4 were all his own making, IMO. Nothing I could do personally to improve his experience in any of these areas.

Was the Hami raid he accidentally crashed listed in the player-led events calendar for that server? If so, and he didn't bother to check, maybe he should have. If not, he had every right to be there doing his thing.

I do feel sympathy for him in the first respect, though. There are some real jerks out there. I just try to give them a wide berth and enjoy the game while I can.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Because I thought maybe...just maybe, people might be understanding and wish the guy the best, while agreeing that harassment of that level (considering if it is true) is never acceptable behavior.

Can't understand anything when only half of the facts are being shared.  This is one person's side of a story, not the whole truth.  It's biased, and what's worse is, it apparently goes back a couple of years, which suggests a problem with handling situations maturely and gives even less credence to this one version of events.

If you want us to take this seriously, assemble all of the facts, present them dispassionately and without bias and allow us to come to an informed and rational conclusion.  Otherwise, and until then, this thread is just fodder for entertainment (primarily mine).

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

59 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Can't understand anything when only half of the facts are being shared.  This is one person's side of a story, not the whole truth.  It's biased, and what's worse is, it apparently goes back a couple of years, which suggests a problem with handling situations maturely and gives even less credence to this one version of events.

If you want us to take this seriously, assemble all of the facts, present them dispassionately and without bias and allow us to come to an informed and rational conclusion.  Otherwise, and until then, this thread is just fodder for entertainment (primarily mine).

To be honest, I was unaware of any other facts other than simply the video, which I did provide. It would seem most of you know more about what is going on than I did.

Edited by Solarverse
I was rude, fixed it because I am man enough to know when I am wrong.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

In all fairness, he did say that a lot of what happened was on him, I think his main issue is how people reacted to the things he has done...knowingly or unknowingly. And I agree with him. He's not perfect...nobody is. I don't think he believes otherwise. He did admit fault to his own mistakes and even understands that his logic may be flawed on some things. But that is not what it was all about. It was about how others behaved in response to the things he has done. I mean, when players are trying to find out where you live and post that information online for others to see, that puts your life at unnecessary risk. That is the kind of behavior that literally gets people killed. This is why I posted this, because people who behave in this way need to be held accountable.

I'm honestly asking this: as someone didn't know anything about this incident or this person, what kind of response would you hope to get? 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Why the hell did I waste 27 minutes?!  Am I insane?

Can't speak to the latter, but symptoms include playing this game...

(A symptom I also present!)

As far as the former: I watch youtube at 1.25% speed, and with ublock origin installed. That would have saved you 7 minutes or so.

It adds up.

Incidentally, the youtube algorithm rewards narcissism and drama over informative, well researched objectivity. Compare the subscriber numbers of the admirable Project Farm to those of more dramatic review channels.

Don't blame the folks who are pressing the buttons that give rewards, blame the folks who designed the Skinner box that is youtube!

Edited by DoctorDitko
me too + link
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• City Council

I have engaged in a little thread pruning. Don't try to imply other people are nefariously attacking you on reddit or whatever, it just never ends well.

• Thanks 4
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

57 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Yeah, had no idea of the drama going on there. I don't mess with that website much. It came across on my Youtube feed, watched it and posted it. I most certainly did not expect this thread to blow up the way it did. I figured a few people would chime in and say a few words like, "Harassment of that level is bad, fair well PG" but didn't expect things to get carried away the way they have. In my opinion, this thread has gotten way out of hand. Kind of glad @GM Widower showed up to clean this thing up. It was needed.

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I don't do Hami raids either - never saw the point of 'em.  But on Everlasting I can't remember seeing a Hami raid announcement.  If it's not announced on General or LFG, I definitely wouldn't see it.

The Hami raids on Everlasting are at 7pm, 10pm and 12am Eastern every day of the week, and additionally 3pm on the weekends.  They're listed in the daily motd for the channel Everlasting TFs and also announced in LFG 15 to 20 minutes before they start.  It's quite a lot of raids for a shard so if you haven't seen any of this then I would assume you only play in the morning (based on Eastern time, anyways).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

1 hour ago, battlewraith said:

I'm honestly asking this: as someone didn't know anything about this incident or this person, what kind of response would you hope to get? 

This was my perspective.  I'd never heard of the guy.  No idea about Reddit posts.  After watching the video, it seemed to me that most of the problems he described were self-inflicted.  

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Clearly I was wrong.

I don't wish the guy ill-will, nor do I believe his video was anything other than self-serving unless I have more information.  Did he deserve the most egregious attacks?  Certainly not (if they're true).  I don't think anyone in this thread advocated that kind of behavior.   I think you may be misconstruing acerbic comments as callous ones.  

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

It would have been interesting to be there when they crashed the hami raid. Was back before I started doing them much less leading them. It wouldn't go over very well today that's for sure. Sounds like a dick move on PG's part and he knew it.

So just to be clear we do a daily hami raid in the hive at 10pm (est) on Excelsior. I even just updated the calendar so there is no future confusion. We haven't advertised the raid much, because it doesn't really need it. We tend to have a full house every night.

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

28 minutes ago, Dazl said:

It would have been interesting to be there when they crashed the hami raid. Was back before I started doing them much less leading them. It wouldn't go over very well today that's for sure. Sounds like a dick move on PG's part and he knew it.

So just to be clear we do a daily hami raid in the hive at 10pm (est) on Excelsior. I even just updated the calendar so there is no future confusion. We haven't advertised the raid much, because it doesn't really need it. We tend to have a full house every night.

I don't think he crashed anything, I am fairly certain he formed his own Raid, had no idea that it was during a schedule that somebody else usually forms a raid at, and he beat them to it and it upset them. Now that is according to him and based on what he said. People saying he crashed a Raid is kind of silly to me, since nobody has the monopoly on a Hammi raid, at least nobody should.

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I don't think he crashed anything, I am fairly certain he formed his own Raid, had no idea that it was during a schedule that somebody else usually forms a raid at, and he beat them to it and it upset them. Now that is according to him and based on what he said. People saying he crashed a Raid is kind of silly to me, since nobody has the monopoly on a Hammi raid, at least nobody should.

He saw the raid was forming, he was told the raid was being organized, he rushed the Hamidon.

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

7 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

No one has a monopoly on it true. However if people are forming everyday at the same time for a raid, they should get the same respect that he wants. There is currently only one scheduled hami raid on Excelsior, he couldn’t find some other time run his raid? Not really buying the “it was just a coincidence” line.

• Like 3

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

5 minutes ago, Dazl said:

No one has a monopoly on it true. However if people are forming everyday at the same time for a raid, they should get the same respect that he wants. There is currently only one scheduled hami raid on Excelsior, he couldn’t find some other time run his raid? Not really buying the “it was just a coincidence” line.

Oh I agree...but no matter what somebody does, they don't deserve to have their real life home address plastered on the internet. The response to his antics was pretty extreme, assuming it's true that is.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Oh I agree...but no matter what somebody does, they don't deserve to have their real life home address plastered on the internet. The response to his antics was pretty extreme, assuming it's true that is.

True nobody should be getting doxxed and harassed. People can get a little touchy when messing around with their merits though 🙂

• Haha 2

TLDR, Aw I wish him all the best and hope he gets time away / disconnects.   Drama regardless of the source will suck the life out of any hobby or job.   I watched him between shut down and game return but not in recent years.    He talked about COH when it was a dead game and no one else was talking.... well other than massively.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

Positive Gamer played on Excelsior, and the Hamidon raid he interrupted and took over was also on Excelsior, back around I want to say August or September 2019.  I was there.

So he hijacks an event.  then (o I am shocked) this left some folks less than happy.  So he has to quit because people do not respect him.  WoW!  Karen.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well I found out about HC because of Positive Gamer so I am grateful to him for that.

That said, there seems like a lot of drama circling around him.  Because he's a content creator?  I don't know, but I don't think it's coincidence.  That doesn't mean people should act like jerks to him though.  But it's the flame which attracts the moths.

• Thumbs Up 1