Where everyone knows your name

JasperStone

Like a lot of us I have a number of alts.

The past year I have found myself playing on two exclusively.

Been on my peacebringer now for a couple of months.

For awhile I was on a new character every time I logged in

Kinda nice to have people reach out to you once they see you are online.

And since I am regular for nightly events I am now leading segments 🙂

I feel like such a none entity in real life (not a dark thought, just a bit of self truth), it is nice real necessary or a part of something.

Just thought I'd share a bit of happiness

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Up 8

/e poofgone

It does give me a serotonin boost when someone in game is like “are you Snarky from the forums?”   My name i have shifted quite a few times to different characters.  But every character that has worn the name for the last year is my Nosferatu.  Suit cape etc.  as close as I can get ( which is not far off, we could use some limb sliders to really push the oddness.  )

My current project takes this concept to the Nth degree. I am soloing every contact in the game (blue red gold) for every mission they offer until they say go away.  EVERYONE WILL KNOW SNARKY!!!

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

It does give me a serotonin boost when someone in game is like “are you Snarky from the forums?”   My name i have shifted quite a few times to different characters.  But every character that has worn the name for the last year is my Nosferatu.  Suit cape etc.  as close as I can get ( which is not far off, we could use some limb sliders to really push the oddness.  )

I was about to zone out of Ouro one day and happened to notice a character that reminded me of Snarkys forum pic... so I went to check the name... oh, wow... it is Snarky LOL

you zoned out before I got a chance to make the comment though

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

I was about to zone out of Ouro one day and happened to notice a character that reminded me of Snarkys forum pic... so I went to check the name... oh, wow... it is Snarky LOL

you zoned out before I got a chance to make the comment though

Yeah, I ran into him once too but thought I'd just not be a pest; sorry to deprive you of that serotonin boost, Snarky!

Kind of like OP, near the end of my Covid recovery, I was leveling a toon and having a lot of fun with it and even had a chance to start showing up regularly at "events" like Hami raids and whatnot, and was starting to reach that level of recognition as well.  Sadly, I got all better and had to go back to work, and have made probably ten alts in the meantime...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I dont use my forum name in-game, mostly because I dont really want the DM's I get in-game to follow me back to the forum (still trying to find a way to set my in-game account to hidden so I can just PLAY the game sometimes).

But now that i've been like, Everlasting TFs are goodies and I really appreciate being able to join in on their events and, in doing so, have a character that has an actual presence in that little niche community of folks who meet up 3 times a night beating up hamidon.

Like, as a person who NEVER got attached to the community, as I got into the game when it was live and the grind was real and nobody had time for an wide-eyed child who had NO IDEA ON EARTH how to play the game outside of enjoying the wild, wild fun of having my own superhero. Going around, asking people with cool looking toons things like "oh you look so cool what's their name? howd they get their powers? Wow!" and not realizing that WASNT the purpose of the video game.

Like, for me? My LAST memory of the game was me trying to play a villain, getting sent to a den of snakes, and HIDING because there were SO MANY of them and I was really freaked out by them? And I got lost, couldnt find the way back out, then just logged off and totally forgot about the game for like... over a decade.

So OP, I can relate.

• Like 5

Resident certified baby

Yeah... I always have my name as something monkey... or something something monkey.   I also put my global name (Shred Monkey) in my character description.  It is pretty cool to be recognized and to see others I recognize in game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Yeah it's a nice feeling. Grinding up a new tank and got into a TF the other day & someone commented "Hey I KNOW you!". Got added as a global, and been invited on a few pieces of content I've either never done, or only done a handful of times. So that's been cool. Apparently I need to lean harder into my cow toons...

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I don't use my Homecoming forum/global name as a character name in-game, so there's pretty much zero chance of recognition there unless you /getglobal me for some reason, or you're looking at one of the global chat channels where I still post once in a blue moon.

This name is also different from the forum/global name that I use on Paragon or what I had back in the Live days on Liberty, so there's no association there, either.  

All that means I get to fly pretty far under the radar when I'm playing. A few people here know who I am in the City... mostly because they're on my Friends list and I rarely have that set to hidden... But that's about it. Otherwise? I am the great unknown. And I kind'a like it that way. 👍 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 1/18/2022 at 9:00 AM, Redletter said:

I dont use my forum name in-game, mostly because I dont really want the DM's I get in-game to follow me back to the forum (still trying to find a way to set my in-game account to hidden so I can just PLAY the game sometimes).

/hide in the chatbox and an very old popup menu shows itself then, u can select from whom u want to be hidden... old but not forgotten (at least by me) 🙂

• Thanks 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Not a problem in my case. Between playing on Reunion mostly and playing early mornings EST ( 4;00 am-6:00 am ) I see virtually no one to speak of. I'd probably have a heart attack if someone actually recognized one of my Characters. I've only met 2 people from the forums in game in 2 1/2 years ( @Redlynneand @Yomo Kimyata ). 

so lonely, sniff

lol,

@Marine X

@Marine X2

Reunion:   Marine X, AC Volt, Hard Knox, Warhorse, Goldfever, Clay Moore, Hawkstar, Battlestrike, Sonny Burns, Crimson Cage, Terrain, Radient, Bumbleflash, Jack Hammer, Livingston, War Spirit, Blackhorse, Celestus, Northern Beast, Grimmwolf, Thunderess, etc.

Everlasting:  Bubba Burns, Major Meson

Excelsior:  Dark Guardsman

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X