999,999,999 inf -or- why I can't stand COV

fancy ketchup

Last night I started a patron arc on COV. I haven't played COV since live or ever done the patron arc.. someone red side spotted me and asked if I wanted to do some kind of speed sf that i knew nothing about.  I told them i wasnt interested and we started chatting about how I don't really play cov/ just doing patron arc for the first time, but maybe i should more. He was super nice and told me I should and sent me an email with 999,999,999 influence with a message saying "hope this helps". We didnt talk that long tho. 

A few mishes later i realized why i stopped playing cov.. It's just a bit too dreary for me and I've never cared for the design and layout of the archanos characters/maps/mishes.. I remember now when COV came out thinking- why are we not working out of a floating volcano under the ocean surrounded by robot sharks waxing our evil handlebar mustaches with idiot henchmen for crying out loud??!? I guess I had some outlandish expectations..anyway, all that aside, having no real intention of continuing playing once my patron arc is over I feel like I should send this influence back. I've never had that much influence.. is it weird to keep it?.. is it weirder to send it back? Is it not that much for some people? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fancy ketchup said:

Last night I started a patron arc on COV. I haven't played COV since live or ever done the patron arc.. someone red side spotted me and asked if I wanted to do some kind of speed sf that i knew nothing about.  I told them i wasnt interested and we started chatting about how I don't really play cov/ just doing patron arc for the first time, but maybe i should more. He was super nice and told me I should and sent me an email with 999,999,999 influence with a message saying "hope this helps". We didnt talk that long tho. 

A few mishes later i realized why i stopped playing cov.. It's just a bit too dreary for me and I've never cared for the design and layout of the archanos characters/maps/mishes.. I remember now when COV came out thinking- why are we not working out of a floating volcano under the ocean surrounded by robot sharks waxing our evil handlebar mustaches with idiot henchmen for crying out loud??!? I guess I had some outlandish expectations..anyway, all that aside, having no real intention of continuing playing once my patron arc is over I feel like I should send this influence back. I've never had that much influence.. is it weird to keep it?.. is it weirder to send it back? Is it not that much for some people? 

If you don't want it, I'll take it since you don't want to play. My global is my name.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Yea I guess I just felt guilty since my realization that I didnt really want to be evil then I reflected on that a bit too much in unison with the influence drop that nice evil man gave me...sorry if i rubbed any villains the wrong way. My intent isn't to say COV or the style is wrong. I know it is well done and all and i hear the storyline over there is quality stuff. Please keep robbing and pillaging because blue side would be out of a job without you! And  I'll definitely pay it forward in low lvl zones in the future! 😄

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, fancy ketchup said:

I've never had that much influence.. is it weird to keep it?.. is it weirder to send it back? Is it not that much for some people? 

Clearly it was not much for the person who gave it away on a whim.

If there is any chance you'll play CoH in the future, I'd say keep half and give half away.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Or just be bribed and play CoV every now and then.  It's not like you're in a marriage till death do you part when you play any of the sides of CoX. If you can play a patron arc for some power pool choices, why can't you play a SF or help some lowbie team for a bit of exp or some merits?

7 minutes ago, Naraka said:

Or just be bribed and play CoV every now and then.  It's not like you're in a marriage till death do you part when you play any of the redside of CoX. If you can play a patron arc for some power pool choices, why can't you play a SF or help some lowbie team for a bit of exp or some merits?

(fixed it for ya)

You mean villains, er, redsiders, do not have handlebar mustaches and kidnap players to tie them to a train track monorail buoy surrounded by sharks to force them to marry for their land playtime?  😄  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gamingglen said:

(fixed it for ya)

You mean villains, er, redsiders, do not have handlebar mustaches and kidnap players to tie them to a train track monorail buoy surrounded by sharks to force them to marry for their land playtime?  😄  

See now that sounds like a good time! XD

• Haha 1

I give influence out on whims from time to time, and I never expect the recipient to spend it in some way I approve of.  I might hope they do, but if they don't that's just how it goes. 

I say if you don't want to play red-side, then at least play blue-side. And if you don't want to play at all, keep it for later in case you change your mind. And send the person a thank you email down the road some time. I really appreciate those when I get them. In my case, I don't care about the money, I want -you- to have a good time with the game, whatever that means to -you-, and if I think some influence will help you get that, that's when I send it out.

For the record, I was not the gifter in this instance. 

Flipping to red side to do the patron arc is pretty common. You can flip your alignment back to hero afterwards. If you are fine with your epic options, then by all means stay blue side, but sometimes it is rather beneficially to go red side for the patrons.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, gamingglen said:

(fixed it for ya)

When we're not building moonbase lasers to blackmail the world for One Meeeelion Dollars!!

• Haha 1

If you're considering sending the Inf back, you were never red-side material to begin with.

Serious answer: just keep it anyway, if that player can just drop that on any ol' person they run across, they're not going to miss it anyway.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Just buy some Hero and Villain packs through the AH. You'll blow through that in no time.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

22 hours ago, fancy ketchup said:

YOU are not THE supervillain....yet.

Story is driven by drama.  If you emerge from the costume creator as ruler of the world with an undersea volcano base able to eat navies at the flick of a switch....where is the drama?

I have run every contact and storyline Redside many times.  If you play traditionally, you break out of prison.  You have powers.  About on the level with low grade mutants in the X Men.  You are not joining Wolverine and Storm as 1st bench players.  

your first contacts Kalinda and Burke lay it out for you.  If you do not have the patience to play either of their 30 minute arcs and i am not going to type it out here.

As you progress through the Redside journey you develop contacts in the criminal underworld and the Arachnos superstructure.  You might learn a few things, you might just get powerful.  

The entire Redside is a giant super group base.  It just is not YOURS.  It belongs to the current #1 Lord Recluse.  Then at 50 you have the opportunity to literally hand him his head.

Post 50 you get to gain the same incarnate powers that make Lord Recluse Positron and Cole such badasses  

But no....you do not start out with a undersea volcano super base.  From what I seen you could probably build something that comes close.  If you had the talent, time, and inclination.

But no one is going to hand you all this.  Or maybe they will, get farmed to 50 and con an artist to build you that base.

Then you can come back and complain "there is nothing to do" with my cool character.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Serious answer: just keep it anyway, if that player can just drop that on any ol' person they run across, they're not going to miss it anyway.

This x 999,999,999

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

43 minutes ago, Snarky said:

....you do not start out with a undersea volcano super base.  From what I seen you could probably build something that comes close.  If you had the talent, time, and inclination.

Has anyone built one of these yet in their base?   Cuz, I'd love to see it, and I don't play villains.  I mean, why can't a hero have one of those?  Is there some written or unwritten law against it?  

3 minutes ago, gamingglen said:

Has anyone built one of these yet in their base?   Cuz, I'd love to see it, and I don't play villains.  I mean, why can't a hero have one of those?  Is there some written or unwritten law against it?  

I have not seen an undersea volcano.  But...  I have seen enough to know you could (with a LOT of time and skill) build a base that would pass for that.  But holy crap the time involved.

This would be done mostly with the giant rocks....Which you can build INSIDE OF!!!!   and a lot, i mean a lot of water placement

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i’m really pleased you’ve made this post, i’ve felt the same way for a long time

CoV has better content - better story arcs, more dynamic missions, taskforces etc, however every zone is hard to distinguish from each other as they’re all the same run-down dreary repeat

mercy island is a terrible first zone and is possibly why there is no real CoV community;

- far too big for an entry level zone

- awful to navigate due to the ridiculous walls

- no central location that people want to naturally gather at. the closest redside ever came to a gathering spot was the black market in cap du diable 

grandville is also quite a dull final zone that doesn’t excite me. port oakes, st martial, nerva all look the same

i want to love redside, but its world design lets it down. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

But no....you do not start out with a undersea volcano super base.  From what I seen you could probably build something that comes close.  If you had the talent, time, and inclination.

Now I hadn't even thought about making my own.. I like that and I may try.

37 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

CoV has better content - better story arcs, more dynamic missions, taskforces etc, however every zone is hard to distinguish from each other as they’re all the same run-down dreary repeat

mercy island is a terrible first zone and is possibly why there is no real CoV community;

- far too big for an entry level zone

- awful to navigate due to the ridiculous walls

- no central location that people want to naturally gather at. the closest redside ever came to a gathering spot was the black market 

Yea as I am approaching the end of this arc I am really starting to enjoy some of the mishes/story but half of the mishes are your typical grey/red/black chain link fence/batting cages in the dark. I have a hard time navagating some of these and missing openings in the fences when they go up..might just be me being stupid or my computer screen but its not much to look at either way. I'll take a cave over these any day.

• Thumbs Up 1