About this jranger thing...

KaizenSoze

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I don't care for it, but then I also generally don't care for simple "no" or "thumbs-down" replies to posts, that don't provide any context.  Heck, at least tell me why you think the suggestion is dumb or bad or whatever.  If you explain your position, I might even agree with you.  Not knowing or understanding why you don't like the suggestion kind of drives me crazy.

But, eh- maybe that's the whole point of those kind of replies.  🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

I don't care for it, but then I also generally don't care for simple "no" or "thumbs-down" replies to posts, that don't provide any context.  Heck, at least tell me why you think the suggestion is dumb or bad or whatever.  If you explain your position, I might even agree with you.  Not knowing or understanding why you don't like the suggestion kind of drives me crazy.

But, eh- maybe that's the whole point of those kind of replies.  🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I've said flat out "I can't explain why, I just don't think this would be good" to stuff that seemed like it'd be a bad idea - just for the feel of a suggestion, not "and here's the numbers" or anything that can be pointed to. To me, yeah, "No, I don't agree" is valid enough to be left at that - it is feedback, after all, and just as valid as "yes, please!" which I have yet to hear anyone complain about.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

@Greycat When you post yes or thumbs up, you're referencing the original post, in which the OP has made the suggestion and explained the reason behind the suggestion (thus providing the context for the yes or thumbs-up reply).

In the opposite case, the context is not present.  Thus, we are simply left to speculate that you disagree with part or all of the suggestion that was made, but we have no idea which parts, or why.

This is why it annoys me. 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Folks, we only have this one Homecoming community. If or when it's gone, you're not going to remember the petty forum bickering - you're going to wish you could just get back in to the game one more time.

You're right. I would miss the game much more than the forums. There are some lovely people here like yourself.

I have seen this kind of snarky behavior degrade forums in the past. Slowly, conversations turn into snark contests where folks are more interested in scoring points than having a conversation.

It's very discouraging to newcomers. One of the best things about COX is the welcoming community.

The link wiki link that @Uun shared is perfect example of how bad it can get. So, bad that it became a ban-able offense to post it.
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki//jranger

• Thumbs Up 3

look, I made the gif because it showed I put more time into saying "no" than just typing no.. while still simply saying no in a glib manner.

using confused without explanation is much worse than /jranger.

Edited by Troo
spellz
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

You're right. I would miss the game much more than the forums. There are some lovely people here like yourself.

I have seen this kind of snarky behavior degrade forums in the past. Slowly, conversations turn into snark contests where folks are more interested in scoring points than having a conversation.

It's very discouraging to newcomers. One of the best things about COX is the welcoming community.

The link wiki link that @Uun shared is perfect example of how bad it can get. So, bad that it became a ban-able offense to post it.
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki//jranger

Yeah it's a hit and miss; that's the nature of internet forums. Sometimes you get a treasure trove of support and assistance and comradery, other times you'll want to type out a 6,000 word response to another poster because being right is more important than hitting ignore. To each their own...

I've noticed lately that even the forum goer numbers are declining in addition to what i've seen in game (at least on Indom). Makes me temper my responses to threads with folks I don't agree with, because I don't want folks to leave this community (even if I don't agree with them). Even the folks I've put on ignore, I don't want them to leave the game. Gotta keep the community strong.

Edit: the You/your in this post is the third person use, meaning it is applicable to all posters, not you specifically Kaizen

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

44 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

I don't care for it, but then I also generally don't care for simple "no" or "thumbs-down" replies to posts, that don't provide any context.  Heck, at least tell me why you think the suggestion is dumb or bad or whatever.  If you explain your position, I might even agree with you.

I used to do exactly that. Say that I disagreed, explained why I thought something was a bad idea, etc. Guess what happened when I did that?

People would get triggered and report my posts, then I'd get an involuntary forum vacation.

So posting Jranger allows me to disagree with something without getting more warning points just because some stunning and brave person got triggered.

19 minutes ago, Troo said:

look, I made the gif...

By the way, thank you for that, kind sir.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

7 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I used to do exactly that. Say that I disagreed, explained why I thought something was a bad idea, etc. Guess what happened when I did that?

People would get triggered and report my posts, then I'd get an involuntary forum vacation.

So posting Jranger allows me to disagree with something without getting more warning points just because some stunning and brave person got triggered.

... PF, if I can be blunt... a lot of your posts I've seen tend to lean heavily on the "F no, and if you don't like it, you're a triggered woke snowflake" sort of theme.  I'd venture it's not the *disagreement* that was getting you reported.  You tend to post rather... aggressively in your wording.  (Which, in fairness, is something I've had to catch myself with at times, too. Used to be much worse at it.)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

You don't get time outs for explaining why you think something is a bad idea.  If you got a time out, it was because of the tone and/or content of the reply.

On the other hand, if you're unable to explain your position in a sufficiently civil manner to avoid getting a time out, then I guess maybe posting /jranger is a safer alternative.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's annoying when it's posted as a response to actually good ideas.

I'm a kheld main, and whenever a qol buff idea comes up, it tends to be posted. I'm against reworking the AT and introducing more gimmicks/oversimplifying it, but when a simple QoL idea that serves only to make the class better comes up and it's mentioned? Annoying.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

It's annoying when it's posted as a response to actually good ideas.

I'm a kheld main, and whenever a qol buff idea comes up, it tends to be posted. I'm against reworking the AT and introducing more gimmicks/oversimplifying it, but when a simple QoL idea that serves only to make the class better comes up and it's mentioned? Annoying.

well, that there is the kicker: what qualifies as a good idea to some is a bad idea to others, but why one finds an idea is bad should be given a little explanation. Now a good example is the Kheldian arguement, you’re right kheldians can be pretty strong, but I feel like the issue is their baseline strength is really weak compared to other ATs and IO builds should not be a night requirement (notice also I am making a bit of an erroneous assumption your kheldians are fully built out with IO sets). My other issue is that I find form shifts to be terribly boring as they have very few power options (and I do get you’re theoretically supposed to pick an alt form and jump back and forward between it and human form) and could stand to have a few more powers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Greycat said:

... PF, if I can be blunt... a lot of your posts I've seen tend to lean heavily on the "F no, and if you don't like it, you're a triggered woke snowflake" sort of theme.

I understand and agree with you completely. And maybe that is the problem. I do try to not violate the forum rules, but maybe I'm just such a d***** that I just can't get into the weeds of a discussion without breaking the rules.

I also happen to think that we're a small community and there just might be a little bit of "oh, this jerk again" going on whenever the mods are responding to my posts being reported.

Either way, /jranger is the only way that I can participate without getting perma-banned.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This thread is dildos?

Well...it does seem to be heading in the direction of an artificial penis measuring contest, so sure.

I was mostly making an inside old forum joke on a string about not liking inside old forum jokes.

What's nice is that it can hit everyone.