About this jranger thing...

KaizenSoze

Well, we have post react thingies. Jranger is mostly just an archaic version of that for a board that didn't have them.

Posting jranger now...I dunno...I guess to get post counts up. Maybe add a jranger post react instead?

• Thumbs Up 1

/jranger means "no" or "I don't like it." It's also a fun City of Heroes specific meme.

I haven't been warned by the moderators for posting it because simply posting "no" or "I don't like it" is specifically allowed by a post by a forum moderator.

GM Tahquitz: "Just say “I don’t like it”. You don't have to say why if you don’t want to."

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
gramar is hard this early in the morning
  • Thumbs Down 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, KaizenSoze said:

I hate it

I dislike certain things that people do in the forums.  But I'm also aware that complaining about them will just lead to everyone putting me on their /ignore lists and never speaking to me again, or leaving to find a forum where they don't have to put up with me.

People are different, and the price of social interaction is tolerance of differences.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

People are different, and the price of social interaction is tolerance of differences.

Except when the social norm is to be intolerant toward the differences. Hell, I'd argue that in many cases we'd all be better off with a lot MORE intolerance towards certain behaviors/beliefs.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

I dislike certain things that people do in the forums.  But I'm also aware that complaining about them will just lead to everyone putting me on their /ignore lists and never speaking to me again, or leaving to find a forum where they don't have to put up with me.

Yes, but if you never complain then nothing ever changes.

Several times my suggestions have been gunned down. Did I like it, no. I got thumbs down many times and that's ok.

This jranger picture just causes confusion. I was not on the live forums, so I have no context.

I dislike insular snark. It makes forums less friendly to newcomers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Yes, but if you never complain then nothing ever changes.

If you complain because people are "triggering" your pet peeve, the only thing that needs to change is you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Luminara said:

If you complain because people are "triggering" your pet peeve, the only thing that needs to change is you.

"Have you tried not being a mutant?" (I'm doing my damndest to avoid being political here.)

Edit: Quotes added. This is a line from a movie. I'm not implying that Luminara is a mutant.

In case there's any confusion...

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Ah yes. Triggering, I was waiting for that to be used.

I make a comment that some people are obviously in agreement with about how criticism is done on the forum.

And of course it's my fault for being "triggered", because snark is a trump card that is above criticism.

Blame the receiver of the message, never how the message was delivered.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Naraka said:

Well, we have post react thingies. Jranger is mostly just an archaic version of that for a board that didn't have them.

'Archaic' has a negative connotation.

Let's just say that /jranger is . . .  traditional . . . old school . . . classic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I figured it was the ultimate form of "no", not going to talk about, I don't want to, etc.

And I took nothing from it other than that. Some people might (obviously), but, sometimes not hearing the reasoning behind it is better.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

42 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Except when the social norm is to be intolerant toward the differences. Hell, I'd argue that in many cases we'd all be better off with a lot MORE intolerance towards certain behaviors/beliefs.

Watch it Bill, that is a very slippery can of worms that you probably shouldn't open.

Like Pandora's box bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

'Archaic' has a negative connotation.

Let's just say that /jranger is . . .  traditional . . . old school . . . classic.

Doesn't /jranger have a negative connotation? I thought it was akin to saying "no that's a stupid idea."

If someone asks a factual question--"can I use a purple enhancement at lvl 2?" You don't type jranger.

Or do you?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Ah yes. Triggering, I was waiting for that to be used.

I make a comment that some people are obviously in agreement with about how criticism is done on the forum.

And of course it's my fault for being "triggered", because snark is a trump card that is above criticism.

Blame the receiver of the message, never how the message was delivered.

Your message was, "Either post my way or don't post at all".  I addressed that calmly and patiently.  Would you prefer the less polite response?

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

Doesn't /jranger have a negative connotation? I thought it was akin to saying "no that's a stupid idea."

/jranger means "We've had this conversation more times than can be counted, I've made numerous long, detailed explanatory posts about why I object or consider it to be a questionable idea, but those posts have been ignored and I'm now resorting to just saying 'No'".

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Several times my suggestions have been gunned down.

And this is the real reason for the complaint. You're not upset about the "tone of voice." You're not upset about "This jranger picture just causes confusion." You're not upset about "insular snark." You're not upset about "how the message was delivered."

You're upset because I said "/jranger" to one or more of your posts and it triggered you.

Why not just go ahead and change the name of this thread to "How dare Peregrine Falcon be allowed to disagree with my spectacular suggestions?!?"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Interesting. People can’t agree on how to disagree.

• Haha 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

8 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And this is the real reason for the complaint. You're not upset about the "tone of voice." You're not upset about "This jranger picture just causes confusion." You're not upset about "insular snark." You're not upset about "how the message was delivered."

You're upset because I said "/jranger" to one or more of your posts and it triggered you.

Why not just go ahead and change the name of this thread to "How dare Peregrine Falcon be allowed to disagree with my spectacular suggestions?!?"

Pere, babe, I think you mixed up /jranger with /Jr. anger.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

/jranger means "no" or "I don't like it." It's also a fun City of Heroes specific meme.

That's not what it was meant for.  It was directed at *one* person on the live forums who basically had a fit and just started posting "no" to everything, regardless, as a "you're looking silly, stop it," instead of actually arguing with them. It was, if anything, meant in fun... to get that specific person to step back and look at what they were doing.

That's it.  (Didn't work btw. That person and one other got banned, instead.)

Yes, it took on a "just saying no" meaning, and frankly *has* seemed to pick up a "no, now shut up, you don't deserve to have this conversation" feel to it. To where even the person who started it to begin with (Edit: to be clear, yes, that's me, folks) would be *perfectly* happy to never see it used again.

Edited by Greycat
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.