Name one thing you dislike about playing Masterminds

Zewks

I know there might be many, but lets stick with your biggest thing. Its fine if people have duplicate responses. Who knows, maybe it will help the devs see areas where most would like to see improvements.

For me it comes down to one primary thing:

- Pets being lower level than you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly applies to demons, but to all MM to a lesser extent:  Dozens of pets running around, obstructing my view of the battlespace and generally distracting me.  Of course, this applies to when I team with MM's, as well.

My solution to the first problem?  Don't play Masterminds. 

My solution to the 2nd problem?  Suck it up.

If I were going to name a second thing, though, it would be what @Neiska ^ said.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My biggest dislike is the VERY low maxhp that both the MM and the MM pets have. While you can get softcap defense, and near capped resistance with some secondaries, the low max hp means the pets are going to  get 1 shot regardless of how much effort you put into trying to save them.

It makes healing sets way less valuable at higher tier content (like +4, or the Hard Mode stuff)

• Like 1

My problem is the same that the pets are lower level by a lot the first tier and they die so easily. The purple patch thing.

I have a suspicion that when I get higher level and to the 50's this problem might be bad enough for me to start disliking MMs. For now though I still like them at level 40.

Edited by desarix
  • Like 3

If I had to list my biggest gripes with MMs, the top 3 would probably be:

1. Lack of pet customization.

2. Overall squishiness of the T1s/Having to near constantly resummon them.

3. Related to/the cause of #2, the reduced level of your T1 and T2 pets.

• Like 1

The noise and size of some of the pet sets.   Although I know you can fiddle with the sounds, it'd still be nice not to have to so much.  Even if I do,  I know it is still annoying some of my teammates.

I love demons, but they are the worst in this area as they hit both issues.  I'd cut the size of them by a lot so they don't obstruct everyone's view, and of course the infamous screaming of the tier 2 pets.  I tend to solo with my demons as I actually feel bad teaming with them.

For me personally.....as others have pointed out lack of pet customization followed by the lack of an armor in heat mastery, why do I need a self rez. The only other thing I would say is I want some new pets, use what's currently in the game to give us some new options.....imagine a Council MM summoning vamps and warwolves or a Carny MM with ring mistresses and illusionists.. 

Setup time:

• Pet buff powers should be auto, no need to cast it every time you summon a pet. You pick the power, your pets get the improvements.
  • Allow pets to be targeted/buffed while they are "being summoned"
  • Ultra ideal: Just one power to summon them all
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t really have any problem making Masterminds play effectively, I just find the feel of the playstyle to be unappealing. Sitting and waiting for your pets to get the job done instead of just wrecking shit yourself like every other AT. Having to constantly babysit your T1’s to make them effective. Lagging behind every other AT that can more elegantly super speed around maps with zero pauses. Etc. 

It’s not hard for me to play at +4x8 with Masterminds and get jobs done. It’s hard for me to have fun doing so.

A lot of the big ones have been said repeatedly, so I'll name something different that is a pet peeve of mine: Sidekicking/Exemping. More than any other AT does that stupid effing window that forces you to change your level when just running missions penalize MM's. It means that I am constantly having to dismiss and resummon my henchmen (which also means having to rebuff them) every single time I enter a mission. Considering henchmen are pretty much our only source of damage, this seems unfair and I don't understand why regular teaming can't be more like being in a TF--once you agree to join a team and accept that you've changed your level, it just stays that way instead of constantly needing to ask every time you zone. Or make it so that my henchmen automatically bump up in level with me; as it is currently, if I'm level 14 on a level 50 PI team (for example), if I have my henchies out when I join the team, they will stay at the level they were when I summoned them (so what is it at that level? 12 and 13?), which means they're ineffective for once we enter the mish. So basically, I end up dismissing all once we leave a mish (because they get demoted back down to my previous level because I am prompted about if I'm okay being sidekicked), and then resummoning every time I enter a mish. And exemping has sort of an opposite problem; all the pets just go boom once you exit because of your temporary level shift. I realize this is sort of a minor issue, but it is yet another area where MM's are penalized just for being what they are that other AT's just simply don't have to deal with; they just click the accept button and they're off. 

And to echo others: if they're not going to let our henchmen level shift to be more even with us, then please reduce our endurance tax. I understand AT's need balance and all that jazz, and I love playing MM's regardless of these issues they have, but I definitely feel we should not be taxed quite so hard on our endurance simply because we have henchmen for damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

22 hours ago, DocMidknight said:

imagine a Council MM summoning vamps and warwolves or a Carny MM with ring mistresses and illusionists

Frankly, I wouldn't want to see MM sets that were specifically from existing enemy groups, but "off-brand" ones could be cool.

For instance, a "movie monster" set with werewolves, vampires, and perhaps a mummy or Frankenstein's monster.  And instead of a Carnival of Shadows set, do something like a "Big Top" one, with jugglers, a fire breather, a strongman, an animal tamer, and a ring master.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For me, it's the inconsisency in how they can be slotted. I can't tell you how many times I've slotted something just to find out that it doesn't work as expected or not at all.

For example, a MM archetype-specific set that only slots in MM pets (not tornado, etc.) with -recharge... when recharge doesn't affect MM pets or the summon power itself...

But wait, there's more!

You can attempt to synergize with pets by adding +damage or -rech, but nope. They aren't affected by most of these affects. Sure, speed boost can make them zip around, but they still have the same recharge redux and McTiny damage boost cap, so forget fulcrum shift as a good idea.

In fact, so many issues with slotting and buffing pets, that ALL of MM builds now focus on debuffing instead of strengthing my pets. Why do you think Dark Miasma is so strong with MM? Because, as already noted, increasing pet def/res is mildly useless. But debuffing enemy -to hit works great.

Lastly, I get why t1 pets should be weaker than t3 pets. But underleveling them applies the purple patch to your t1 pets at only +1/+2 content! That's NUTS. Make them weaker, but don't make them -2 levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, Neiska said:

Lack of pet customization options. Not expecting full out models, but something as simple as their colors or colors of their attacks might be nice.

I think about this alot.  It would be nice to have customization of:

costumes like the icon store but for pets.  Ex:  I would like mobster themed pets for one of my alts. Another would like different robots.

Abilities:  I'd like to have slotting and powers to choose for our pets.

Additional:  I'd like them to be more responsive!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 5/22/2022 at 2:10 AM, wjrasmussen said:

I think about this alot.  It would be nice to have customization of:

costumes like the icon store but for pets.  Ex:  I would like mobster themed pets for one of my alts. Another would like different robots.

Abilities:  I'd like to have slotting and powers to choose for our pets.

Additional:  I'd like them to be more responsive!!!

If we got the ability to customise Masterminds pets I'd don't think you'd be able to separate me from my computer again!

• Haha 3

When a MM plays a secondary that has a hold, you have to re-order the pets to attack the held MOB. I hate that. Just kill him, that's what were here for!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

1 hour ago, KC4800 said:

When a MM plays a secondary that has a hold, you have to re-order the pets to attack the held MOB. I hate that. Just kill him, that's what were here for!

There is a good reason for this. In theory you will kill a held or CCd mob last. Take a slept enemy. It's a bad idea to break a CC and most pets in most games are coded not to because nothing is more annoying than to find that after you have CCd an enemy so that you can handle the other enemies that are not CCd and are actively trying to kill you to find a pet has broken the CC. This is why you have to give the kill order. They will not kill them automatically because it is a bad idea to have them break CC and ask any crowd control class how bad an idea it is in any other game.

The game has changed a lot from how it was on release in 2004. Of course now we are quite ridiculously overpowered in groups and can mow down stuff and not worry about the CCd mobs. I recall quite starkly how it was on launch. We had to use crowd control and make sure not to break the crowd control and control our pets from using their AOE near a slept mob. This was vital for the success because we were exponentially weaker with training origin or dual origins then. You can now get annoyed about it but believe me sir when I tell you how much of a pivotal moment in strategy clever crowd control was. I cannot tell how much I admired a good controller in those days and they were quite reliant on the groups since they could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

• Thumbs Up 1

The two big ones are related to build-crafting:

1. Primaries that don't have a recharge intensive pet require us to burn precious slots for the henchmen global pieces.
  2. The first upgrade power comes before the summons for the second and third tier henchmen... which make ZERO sense. Just give all the henchmen the first upgrade powers automatically.

I would also like to see color customization (at least) of the henchmen.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, tidge said:
  1. The first upgrade power comes before the summons for the second and third tier henchmen... which make ZERO sense. Just give all the henchmen the first upgrade powers automatically.

You know, I used to be fundamentally against these sort of changes, but the more I think about it, and play the AT, you're right, it does make sense. Getting the first upgrade at level 6 is kind of awkward. I'm not sure what the best answer for this is, whether it's to bake it in like you suggest, or move the upgrade powers down to the later tiers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Speed TFs

Excessive caltrops/rains

Slow pet movement

24 minutes ago, tidge said:

1. Primaries that don't have a recharge intensive pet require us to burn precious slots for the henchmen global pieces.

Hamis.  Most of my pets follow this general slotting formula, each set is different in some way, however

acc/dmg hami

acc/dmg hami

acc/dmg/end IO/ATO

3 procs/globals, generally whatever is needed

Going through how I slot each primaries pets is going to take way too long.  even then for recharge intensive pets I go 4/6 ATO1 and focus on acc/dmg/rech, and 2/6 ATO2 to fill out the rest to really max out recharge on said powers while still raking in two 10% rech bonuses

• Thumbs Up 1