Make Touch of Death (IO Set) level 50 instead of level 40.

For what reason? ("Because I'd like it to be" is perfectly valid, I'm just curious.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

For what reason? ("Because I'd like it to be" is perfectly valid, I'm just curious.)

The reason I'd guess: It's got melee defense but because it caps out  at 40, it's rarer than Mako's Bite, which is ranged defense.

9 minutes ago, Omega Force said:

I'd like all the sets to top out at 50.  It's very soothing to see matching numbers.

Use attuned and you don't see numbers. ;)

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Broader level range and buff some of the values, Range blasts don't have a +Recharge on the 5th bonus at level 50 cap set and the 2 sets with the +Rech cap at 40; the IO value for the SO value is lower in comparison to what melee get.  

What I am saying, the Melee set Crushing Impact has the exact same enhancement values as Range Thunderstrike.  The IO bonuses on the other hand, are weaker for Range Thunderstrike and I would like to see the 4th/5th bonus be +7ACC/+6.25% recharge.  The two Range set Entropic Chaos is 4 enhancement values (5th being a proc) and Decimaton are lower in comparison to their enhancement value.

And range set bonuses are weaker in comparison to melee.  Range sets get very little defense while Melee sets get a ton of typed and positional, range has like 5 defense all together at slot 5 and 6 while their values are  1.88% a few at 2.5%, while melee sets have some at slots 3/4/6 and they are 2-3.75% of various kinds.

I would like to see a slight revamp to range sets, a some defense instead of resist and a few tiny +1-3% range bonuses not on the ATO.  With just 3 sets and 9% range bonus...Blaster "defense is at range"

ed36d704d3e90919ca402cff4112d1cf.gif

• Thumbs Down 2

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I use touch of death instead of mako when i want the different set bonuses it offers.  I imagine the suggestion is so they can have those set bonuses and 'full power' enhancement values.  I never notice the difference between the lvl 40 and 50 IOs but im not looking to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of my enhancements.  But i have looked at touch of death a few times and thought it would be cool if it was lvl 50.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheZag said:

I use touch of death instead of mako when i want the different set bonuses it offers.  I imagine the suggestion is so they can have those set bonuses and 'full power' enhancement values.

Yup.

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Level 53 Nuc acc/dam = 38.3% boost

Level 50+++++ Mako acc/dam = 33.1% boost

Level 40+++++ Touch of Death acc/dam = 30.2% boost

What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:23 PM, Panthonca7034 said:

Gotta disagree... Needs to be left alone, purples and superior ATOs/Rares already fulfill that requirement... 

Eh?

It's a 2.5% difference for the two-parters and a 1.9% difference for the 3-parter. Is the difference in individual bonuses that big of a difference? I mix Mako's Bite and Touch of Death on my most of my melee builds too, but I don't see any differences against the melee builds that don't use Touch of Death. I wouldn't care if this suggestion were implemented or not implemented. So I am asking, is that difference really that big a deal?

Since absolutely nothing has been said in this thread about why Touch of Death needs this change but not every other non-“-50” set in the game, it’s probably most efficient and constructive to discuss all of them at once. 

8 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Eh?

You got several Melee ATOs you can use at level 50 which you can attune that can give you similar bonuses, and by making touch of death level 50 only, you're making others put more effort into leveling than its worth for this set which I can use at level 36 (if attuned), and I don't like the idea of having to use some other lackluster set at level 36 when I can go ahead an purchase this one.

So NO thank you, keep touch of death as is, use overwhelming force or a winter set....

Edited by Panthonca7034
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Panthonca7034 said:

You got several Melee ATOs you can use at level 50 which you can attune that can give you similar bonuses, and by making touch of death level 50 only, you're making others put more effort into leveling than its worth for this set which I can use at level 36 (if attuned). 

So NO thank you, keep touch of death as is, use overwhelming force or a winter set....

You're forgetting to mention that sets like ATOs and Overwhelming Force are unique and are not boostable. I don't think they should be considered for this suggestion because they cannot be used in multiple powers like Touch of Death can. 

Nucleolus Exposure Acc/Dam = 38.3% Acc/dam 

Superior Blistering Cold Acc/Dam = 33.1% Acc/Dam (Unique)

Overwhelming Forece Acc/Dam = 26.5% Acc/Dam (Unique)

Mako's Bite (+5) Acc/Dam = 33.1% Acc/Dam

Touch of Death (+5) = 30.2% Acc/Dam

The set bonuses in Touch of Death are likely more valuable for many melee builds than the ones from Mako's Bite (melee defense vs. ranged defense). In order to get those bonuses now, you need to sacrifice 3% damage and accuracy. I don't really see the reason why this is necessary. You can use Touch of Death from lvl 25 if attuned. The minimum attuned lvl would be 30 if the set got a buff to lvl 50.

Touch of Death is one of the best melee sets. S/L resistance, E/N resistance, S/L defense, comes with a damage proc, decent raw stats spread. It only lacks recharge.

Other sets come with bad bonuses (I'm sure someone will pipe in on how tox/psi is useful for their build) or have bad raw stats (Kinetic Combat), or useless procs (hold? Heck).

No, ToD is one of the best evenly balanced melee sets IMO and being level 40 really does not hinder this. I'm not against the idea though, but other than having more raw stats by the ten level bump I'm not sure what would be gained.

12 minutes ago, Ston said:

You're forgetting to mention that sets like ATOs and Overwhelming Force are unique and are not boostable. I don't think they should be considered for this suggestion because they cannot be used in multiple powers like Touch of Death can. 

Nucleolus Exposure Acc/Dam = 38.3% Acc/dam 

Superior Blistering Cold Acc/Dam = 33.1% Acc/Dam (Unique)

Overwhelming Forece Acc/Dam = 26.5% Acc/Dam (Unique)

Mako's Bite (+5) Acc/Dam = 33.1% Acc/Dam

Touch of Death (+5) = 30.2% Acc/Dam

The set bonuses in Touch of Death are likely more valuable for many melee builds than the ones from Mako's Bite (melee defense vs. ranged defense). In order to get those bonuses now, you need to sacrifice 3% damage and accuracy. I don't really see the reason why this is necessary. You can use Touch of Death from lvl 25 if attuned. The minimum attuned lvl would be 30 if the set got a buff to lvl 50.

I think I understand a little clearer now... but still disagree

Then by doing this that means I gotta wait until the Night Ward arcs to be able to use that set, which I can already use if I'm doing the First Ward arcs. I was under the impression that by making Touch of death level 50 that it was going to follow the same mechanic as a purple melee set (Hekatomb?) which you could only be able to use at level 50 and not lower.

Either way, the idea of having to wait to get to level 30 just to use Touch of death instead of level 25 doesn't sit well with me because I don't farm, and I don't speed-level when I'm playing content, and right now with the pricing shennanigans going on with all the IOs in the auction house? Even LESS inclined...

Edited by Panthonca7034

15 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

You got several Melee ATOs you can use at level 50 which you can attune that can give you similar bonuses, and by making touch of death level 50 only, you're making others put more effort into leveling than its worth for this set which I can use at level 36 (if attuned), and I don't like the idea of having to use some other lackluster set at level 36 when I can go ahead an purchase this one.

Uh.... they said "level 50 instead of level 40," so it sounds more like they're talking "raise the cap," not "make this a purple set."

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Ston said:

In order to get those bonuses now, you need to sacrifice 3% damage and accuracy. I don't really see the reason why this is necessary.

Same reason our characters are limited to one primary and one secondary, four power pools, one *PP, 67 slots to place in powers, et cetera.  To create balance, while still permitting players to make decisions which feel important and meaningful to their characters within that balance.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:54 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Honestly I'm not opposed to all non-very rare/pvp IO's having a range of 20-50, while the very rare/pvp IO's can keep their range of 10-50 as that would promote more build diversity, and better equalize the value of certain IO sets within the various categories.

This seems nice in-concept (and would address OP's suggestion), but I'm somewhat skeptical of how it'd work out in-practice. While it would give more room for the less-utilized sets, it'd also be a flat buff (however relative) to all the sub-50 level range sets everyone already clamors after. Locking certain sets into specific level ranges was an attempt to off-set the impact from them having more ideal set bonuses (and to make the closest thing CoH has to a tiered 'gear system,' the negatives of which Attunement already hugely negates). Removing that (admittedly minor) limitation would just make them even better. That said... given diminishing returns and the sheer amount of buffs available at high level play, I also have to wonder if the 'Now it goes to 50!' power creep would even make that much of a difference?

Mega-builds that let folks faceroll standard mission content were already going to do that and would just keep doing it. For regular level 50 gameplay I can't imagine most folks would even notice aside from 'Oh, that number that already one-shots mobs is slightly higher than it used to be.' It could impact Hard Mode stuff like the Dr. Aeon SF, but that content is specifically made to play hardball with excessive build shenanigans like this (plus insta-death attacks are still going to insta-death regardless of a minor percentage increase in a few stats). The biggest issues this could make would probably be in PvP, where those expanded ranges would add up more significantly.

All that said I think it'd be neat to play around with, at the very least. See what shakes out. Also, an admitted caveat - this is all also just personal speculation without any actual math. xD

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, Rudra said:

It's a 2.5% difference for the two-parters and a 1.9% difference for the 3-parter. Is the difference in individual bonuses that big of a difference? I mix Mako's Bite and Touch of Death on my most of my melee builds too, but I don't see any differences against the melee builds that don't use Touch of Death. I wouldn't care if this suggestion were implemented or not implemented. So I am asking, is that difference really that big a deal?

Yes.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:39 PM, Panthonca7034 said:

None of your suggestions provide 1.5% energy res for 2slotting.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, arcane said:

Since absolutely nothing has been said in this thread about why Touch of Death needs this change but not every other non-“-50” set in the game, it’s probably most efficient and constructive to discuss all of them at once. 

Sure, make all IOs level 20-50. Would improve build diversity.

• Thumbs Up 1