What do you think are the worst?

Xandyr

26 minutes ago, Darkir said:

@Xandyrso SR or ICE for the primary and then DB or Claw or Kinetic Melee seem to be what most people think is weakest and is least popular. Whatcha think?

Big difference between weakest and least popular. SR may not be popular, but it certainly isn't the weakest. I would put it ahead of Ice, Fire and WP.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

34 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Now...do I want to do SR or Ice? Paired with Claws or DB? HMMM...

If you're trying to make things a bit harder on yourself (As, I think any of those pairings will in fact be plenty strong), SR/Claws. Claws has a fast attack chain and can start to chew through your end quickly despite somewhat lower costs, and SR has additional recharge and no end support, so a bit more difficult. Ice has end management in it, so would be 'easier' there for general play. 

If you want to be a rarer combo, Ice/DB or Claws both I do not recall ever seeing! Where SR/Claws or SR/DB I have.

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

1 hour ago, Darkir said:

@Xandyrso SR or ICE for the primary and then DB or Claw or Kinetic Melee seem to be what most people think is weakest and is least popular. Whatcha think?

The idea that claws could possibly be considered the weakest melee set is flatly crazy.

SR and Ice are both good armor sets, though again, there isn't an obvious bad choice there.

11 hours ago, Oysterhead said:

If you're trying to make things a bit harder on yourself (As, I think any of those pairings will in fact be plenty strong), SR/Claws.

I think @Bill Z Bubba could weigh in on whether SR/Claws is "making it hard on yourself"

If you want a crappy combo try doing something / Ice Melee and only take the swords.

15 hours ago, Darkir said:

I do have an Kinetic Melee/Ice Armor Scrapper that is thematically a “Cryomancer” like Sub Zero. Honestly a really cool combo. Plus, Icy Bastion got Scrappers and Stalkers is really good.

I for one really like KM. I do hope the HC team buffs it’s performance in the future though.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, Oysterhead said:

I'd say both of these are pretty accurate, but what is funny is that when you combine the two of them (Fiery Aura+MA Tanker) you end up with a very potent tanker. MA with its +def helps Fire Armor out a ton, as do its knockdowns, and Burn gives MA the area attacks it is missing. That combo was one of my strongest tanks, not tankiest tank, but was able to kill very fast to make up for it.

Kinetic Melee was the worst feeling of the primaries I've tried so far. Looks cool, but always felt like a lot of hand waving to have everything die before you get attacks off. 

Going to have to disagree.  My Tanker is Fire/Axe, and I maxed out those resists and that makes a difference.  Have the recharge to use Healing Flames often as well.

And now, it just got +Regen and +HP, in addition to Phoenix Rising being able to heal you too.

90% Resists goes a long way 🙂

I'm going to say go for...

WP/Elec or Ice/Elec

I'm not going to say WP is weak, but it can be boring for people and may be why it's not played as much.  However, as a Tanker Defense Set, it'll be tough!

Ice Armor may not be popular due to how it can effect your costume, but I believe it's lack of DDR doesn't make it popular either.

I've made do solo with Elec, but it can be tough for many a player.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

I know I've seen my fair share of Kat/SR Scrappers in my time, but can't say I've seen that many Tankers run it.

Honestly, it's not a particularly common combo, but I've got one that is a beast.  I-capped defense, and basically Perma-God mode between Rune, Unrelenting, and Melee core.

Pre-aggro changes I did what I call the Linea test.  This is a +4x8 ITF where you jump into a couple of spawns to cap aggro and see how long you survive.  After about 15 minutes I got bored and quit, but it was enough time to see that the build worked.

Your analysis on everyone else is quite thorough though, well thought out!

What this team needs is more Defenders

• 2 weeks later
17 minutes ago, smnolimits43 said:

hmmm.. ice/claws huh.  Well i've been looking for the next alt to play.  I might have to give this a try.  I just need to figure out a name, that will help me with a costume.  any thoughts on a good ice name ???

Something animal-like from creatures that dwell in tundra climates.

14 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

any thoughts on a good ice name ???

Savage Glacier

Frosty Talons

Frosty Mauler

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

14 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

hmmm.. ice/claws huh.  Well i've been looking for the next alt to play.  I might have to give this a try.  I just need to figure out a name, that will help me with a costume.  any thoughts on a good ice name ???

Santa Claws

• Haha 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

On 11/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, Meknomancer said:

Scrolling through the forums there's only about 2-3 wp builds and only 1 of those is procced out for damage and looks fun but won't survive harder content. Every single invul build (every single one.....) 0 recharge. 0 procs. Pretty much identical with the unbreakables/imperviums/shield walls/winter sets everything put towards resists and defence and nothing left for fun. They may not be the worst tanker primaries/secondaries is just that every other one is more fun to play and allows far more diversity building them so if you want a challenge level up one of those through content and try not to fall asleep waiting for the mobs to drop.

Personally, I rarely use procs, unless the set I want has a proc in it and I want the 6th slot set bonus. And of course the ATOs come with procs, so I use those. But making "proc-bomb" builds and such? Not really of any interest to me. Everyone has their own idea of "fun". If your idea of fun is to jump in and watch twenty different procs go off, that's cool. Mine is to see just how stupidly hard to kill I can make my characters, while still putting out enough damage that it doesn't feel like a slog (which again, everyone has their own opinion on what "slow" is).

On 12/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, smnolimits43 said:

Santa Claws...? 🤣

LOL - just saw Psyonico already had that!

Ok, how about Wampa Skybreaker? 😉

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

I just leveled a Ice Ice through all TF SF and it was smooth and wonderful.   Worst? One of the best!   Pure Tank.   Massive Agro control, great armor.  Owns the room like a rockstar.   Farmer?   Nope!  TF Rockstar!     Oooooooh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh!!!

• Like 2

If its a tank i usually go 2 builds, 1 will be for proper tanking and built to survive and the other for soloing and built for damage. But even the tankiest build can slot procs and should because it'll hep the teams dps. I get that @WumpusRatyou might want to make it the most survivable you can but how long are you prepared to sit in a mob and wait for attacks to recharge then click them and watch that attack hit for almost no damage. Having played a bunch of tanky tankers where you can hop in a mob and throw an attack on auto and go off and make dinner and come back and find the mobs still there and you haven't even taken out the minions i wonder at the fun factor. Isn't it more fun to have a tanky tanker that also puts out damage? I'm not saying go mad and slot 4 procs/attack, but even 1 in each makes a massive difference and generally the 6th set bonus is junk. Its the reason i dislike invul so much, you almost have to 6 slot everything, taking that junk slot in order to get to the point where its survivable where any other tanker primary gives you far more slotting flexibility. Why 6 slot avalanche/blistering cold for f/c/aoe def when you could use it for a damage proc. Why be force picked into an epic power or 2 just so you can use 5-6 winters bites and 5-6 entomb for e/ne def. None of the other tanker primaries force this on you, they let you go for the fun stuff like soul/mu.

Your right i do have an opinion on what slow is same as everyone else and a tanker that takes 7-8 minutes to plow through a +4 mob isn't fun its just boring especially if i can do it in less than 2 minutes and have near the same survivability to the point where its not even noticeable. Watching a tanker team mate running his invul/? just waiting for the recharge on the 1 pbaoe attack they have to come back up and then clicking it and watching the mob laugh at the puny damage compared to the other team mate running a ?/? murder half the mob in 1 chain of aoe and then hop ahead of the team leaving the rest to mop up is what a tanker should be. They should be crushing half the mob and moving on it keeps things interesting and makes sure that the tank is doing their job of taking the alpha. 

Theres 0 reason on HC for a tanker to have low dps considering they got a bump every new page that came out and have what may be considered the best AT sets unless that tank is specifically built for hardmode content. If you build it just for survivability and don't run hard content then whats the point of it? You could of built in way more damage and be just as survivable as you are now.

For what it's worth, I had an ice/db back on live that I liked, so the pairing certainly works. I think end game wise I pretty much cycled the vital and sweep combo, used more of them while leveling.  Aggro control was phenomenal. You can still have aggro through a hibernate recovery in emergencies, just saying.

4 hours ago, Meknomancer said:

but how long are you prepared to sit in a mob and wait for attacks to recharge then click them and watch that attack hit for almost no damage.

I think you're making kind of a hyperbolic take. There's a lot of middle ground between "build for tons of procs" and "do no damage". None of my characters "stand around waiting for attacks to recycle".

I build a ton of recharge into my characters. I just don't use procs very much. I also tend not to use hasten unless I'm building a character that needs it for some reason (like trying to make certain powers perma, and thus need a ton of extra recharge). Pretty much all of my tanks can clear out a full +4/8 spawn in around 60 seconds. I tend to run around on +2/8 though when I'm soloing, since it's faster and again, I'm not playing a massive dps character. 

There was a thread someone had made talking about the various "proc bomb" builds so I went to test and recreated some of his builds to try them out. They'd clear a spawn in about 40 seconds, whereas mine was clearing the same spawn in about 60. To me, that doesn't feel too slow in comparison.