Damage Meter

Flitwick

Unfortunately, I would have to vote no, as metrics and their tracking of have dark implications.

Also, whenever someone mentions WoW, I feel like a toilet was just flushed, and overflowed. Terrible game.

I actually enjoyed WoW for several years.  And I remember the advent of Recount and GearScore, and their assorted knockoffs.  And I remember the ruinous effect these addons had on the game's community.  People were ostracized over just a couple hundred points of damage, or a few GS points.  Things never really recovered from there.

I also remember what DPS parsers did to the STO community.  Less of a mess because fewer people adopted the mods but those who did Would. Not. Shut. Up. about how awful a person you were if your pretend numbers weren't as high as they "should" be.

Damage meters and those who defend them can die in a fire.  Period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I would have to vote no, as metrics and their tracking of have dark implications.

Also, whenever someone mentions WoW, I feel like a toilet was just flushed, and overflowed. Terrible game.

I agree, who really cares about Damage Meters, plus certain Blasters have some serious AoE output with their last ability.

WoW was once a great game but Blizzard ran it into the ground with putting in Damage meters and other junk that was not needed.

• City Council

I agree, who really cares about Damage Meters, plus certain Blasters have some serious AoE output with their last ability.

WoW was once a great game but Blizzard ran it into the ground with putting in Damage meters and other junk that was not needed.

Blizzard didn't make the damage meters, the players did. In a similar fashion, I would think that we won't make damage meters ourselves, but rather you the players will. Indeed, I believe one of the good people at 4chan is working on one already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Damage meters and those who defend them can die in a fire.  Period.

That's a bit, violently over the top, IMO.

Much like in-game, I saw someone on Live claim the people that made the store UI should be put to death...I asked, they meant it...I stopped teaming with them and pretty much stopped running iTrials because that player sort of 'ran the show' on my server at the time...

This violent-death-hyperbole against human beings does nothing good for the general gamer image or community, IMO.

Passion is awesome, but IMO violent language toward humans over games is not awesome.

Blizzard didn't make the damage meters, the players did. In a similar fashion, I would think that we won't make damage meters ourselves, but rather you the players will. Indeed, I believe one of the good people at 4chan is working on one already.

Damage meters made by players...

DoooOOoooOoooOooooooommmmm

• 9 months later
On 6/11/2019 at 8:29 AM, jubakumbi said:

DPS parsers and meters are a main tool used to suck the fun right out of many otherwise enjoyable games for a lot of players.

This.

This right here is why I will always and forever wave the /jranger flag when these things are suggested. They're a menace in the hands of certain types of gamers, and if you think Warcraft's "issues" wouldn't crop up here, too? You're kidding yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 6/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, subbacultchas said:

I don't much care for this idea. Games like WoW with damage meters, or Neverwinter with Item Level often have people gatekeeping access to tougher content. Want to join a team for Tomb of the Nine Gods? It may say 12k item level, but you won't even get a team without 15k item level. Want to join a particular raid? Sorry, we only accept X DPS.

The thing is, this may work for some games and you may see minor bits of this in action on CoH. But overall, the philosophy of CoH is that anyone can team with anyone else and still feel useful. It may differ somewhat with 50+ content, but it's still true throughout the game. I would not like to see this changed.

If anything at 50+ content the importance of archetypes is even further reduced since IOs and incarnates flatten the differences between the ATs.

I think CoH probably shouldn't have a damage meter and agree it's at odds with the much beloved "you can make anything work" mentality.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Flitwick said:

With the Devs considering making changes in the future, I was wondering what the chances of having a damage meter/tracker implemented into the game. This idea comes from my days with World of Warcraft where you can download an add on that tracked your’s and the rest of your team’s damage, dps, heals, damage taken etc. and gives you the ability to share with your teammates. Forgive me if this is something that has been mentioned in the past. Implementing this could bring out a more competitive group of players in endgame play, encourage players to make adjustments to their enhancement set ups to increase their effectiveness.

Any ideas on this matter, whether or not it’s even possible?

Why? It's unnecessary and only promotes overly competitive playstyle. I've seen too many people berated in WoW groups for not hitting some magic number on DPS that people think their class should be hitting. Don't need the DPS d-waving here.

One of the great strengths of this game is that if you stick any 8 players together in a confined space you get a mulit-coloured, rofl-stomping monster that hits mobs like a nuclear weapon. You don't need particular builds or particular skills to team. Just turn up, take part and enjoy the madness. IMHO teams rarely need a plan let alone performance metrics.

I'd hate to destroy such a wonderful part of the game by accident so I'll be voting "no thanks".

On 6/11/2019 at 4:23 PM, Flitwick said:

With the Devs considering making changes in the future, I was wondering what the chances of having a damage meter/tracker implemented into the game. This idea comes from my days with World of Warcraft where you can download an add on that tracked your’s and the rest of your team’s damage, dps, heals, damage taken etc. and gives you the ability to share with your teammates. Forgive me if this is something that has been mentioned in the past. Implementing this could bring out a more competitive group of players in endgame play, encourage players to make adjustments to their enhancement set ups to increase their effectiveness.

Any ideas on this matter, whether or not it’s even possible?

Not really reading your post, I just wanted to say that I used to live in a town called Flitwick. Heh.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

18 hours ago, Machariel said:

If anything at 50+ content the importance of archetypes is even further reduced since IOs and incarnates flatten the differences between the AT

That hasn't stopped the recruiting messages I see in LFG chat asking for responses giving AT, level, and powersets. For regular TF runs, not tweaked-up Master runs. I don't remember seeing more than a miniscule fraction of recruiting back on live that asked for anything more specific than role as long as they met the requirements for the TF. But it seems that the "have to build each team to a precise balance of power" attitude from Wow has carried back to CoH.

1 hour ago, SwitchFade said:

Can someone post a meme of a zombie rising from the grave? And it's damage per second?

Thanks.

No DPS on it, but take your pick, otherwise.

thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg

ThreadNecromancy.jpg

thread-necromancy.png

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

37 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

That hasn't stopped the recruiting messages I see in LFG chat asking for responses giving AT, level, and powersets. For regular TF runs, not tweaked-up Master runs. I don't remember seeing more than a miniscule fraction of recruiting back on live that asked for anything more specific than role as long as they met the requirements for the TF. But it seems that the "have to build each team to a precise balance of power" attitude from Wow has carried back to CoH.

Yeah.  I just put anyone that asks for that on /ignore.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, BlueDragoon said:

But other times I have been in teams where for example, there's three DPS dealers. We all made a pact to team up and especially if the content is challenging, we all have to step up. Sometimes, me and another guy have done like.. 90% of the damage, and the other guy was doing 10% and pretty much autoattacking. Well that's not okay in my opinion. It took WAY longer because of this guy and it wasn't fair on us who wanted to try challenging content and get it done without frustration.

And here is why this doesn't work in City of Heroes.

I was on a blaster and joined a Manticore a day or so ago.  The blaster is ice/plants; yet another of a series of joke characters I fell in love with.  Though I was on a DPS class, I was not by any means trying to maximize DPS output.  Instead, I scanned for Paragon Protectors and did my best to keep them locked down, especially the energy flavor.  The character has three ranged single target holds and one ranged AoE hold.  I was trying to prevent Eludes first and making that a priority over DPS output, because that character can. 

Don't force me into a narrow role.  What makes this game great is that it doesn't do that. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291